Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SeANMcBAY posted:

It is, in my heart.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

PostNouveau posted:

Behind the Laughter

I feel like I'm the only person who didn't like the Behind the Laughter episode. Looking at the list of episodes, the only ones I remember liking were "Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder" and "Missionary: Impossible". Then again I haven't seen any of those episodes in over a decade so my tastes have probably changed.

Every other episode in that season ranges from forgettable (the Three Stooges Syndrome subplot in whichever episode was pretty funny, but I literally can't remember anything else about the episode) to outright terrible ("Saddlesore Galactica" would just be forgettable if it weren't for the incredibly stupid/weird ending with the gnomes or whatever).

I also thought the Mel Gibson episode was a season or two earlier for some reason, I remember being ok with the episode at the time, but the fawning over Gibson in the episode was a bad sign of things to come.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Eh! Frank posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who didn't like the Behind the Laughter episode.

i can't really remember the rest of the episode but it's worth it just for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ywp1e_nRnQ

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Eh! Frank posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who didn't like the Behind the Laughter episode. Looking at the list of episodes, the only ones I remember liking were "Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder" and "Missionary: Impossible". Then again I haven't seen any of those episodes in over a decade so my tastes have probably changed.

Every other episode in that season ranges from forgettable (the Three Stooges Syndrome subplot in whichever episode was pretty funny, but I literally can't remember anything else about the episode) to outright terrible ("Saddlesore Galactica" would just be forgettable if it weren't for the incredibly stupid/weird ending with the gnomes or whatever).

I also thought the Mel Gibson episode was a season or two earlier for some reason, I remember being ok with the episode at the time, but the fawning over Gibson in the episode was a bad sign of things to come.

Honestly it's not a great episode, the show was definitely going downhill at that point, but it works as a decent send-off for the series.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

charity rereg posted:

the first episode i remember all of my friends coming in and being super "meh" about was the Tomacco episode in Season 11.

Looking at it there's only IMO like 3-4 good episodes in 11. The baseball one & behind the laughter probably being the only ones i consider essential.

Only the first 9 seasons are mostly good though there's already a bunch of mediocre episodes with lazy jokes by that point. Season 10 is the first season that has some extremely lame episodes with a very obvious downturn which continues strongly into the next season. But I feel like season 11 is where The Simpsons really started to lose people, yeah, even if the golden era was over long before that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Season 10 is still mostly pretty okay I found on a recent rewatch. 9 is underrated and deserves to be bunched with the classic seasons. 11 is really when it starts to nosedive imo.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

It would be kinda a weird end because Behind the Music is a bit of a forgotten cultural relic that came and went fast, but it's good enough that it transcends the need for knowledge of the source.

Yeah a lot of the gags are very specific to Behind the Music and I remember loving that episode because I watched dozens of cheesy VH1 specials as a kid. It’s still a great episode. I remember thinking how crazy and unusual that it was so meta. Wild how when a show isn’t 30 years old something can actually feel different and risky!

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
A good ending place for The Simpsons is S4E18, So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show, where you pretend Homer never came out of the coma and seasons 5-3X are his brain processing television as he dies.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Let’s be honest, how much of any “what was the point when poo poo started to go bad” discussion is just a thinly veiled attempt to find a Great Man to worship and to whom to ascribe all success

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Data Graham posted:

Let’s be honest, how much of any “what was the point when poo poo started to go bad” discussion is just a thinly veiled attempt to find a Great Man to worship and to whom to ascribe all success

nah

we're blaming Al Jean instead

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Let me expound upon my lovely Man of History theory,

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Why would the decline of a show esp with one that had a lot of writers like The Simps be tied to one person? Plus I thought it was common knowledge that the good writers just slowly filtered out of this show ..

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Usual thing where the good writers can find work anywhere, the bad writers cling on to their easy job for dear life.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Let me expound upon my lovely Man of History theory,

:same: except all men and women forever

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

iamsosmrt posted:

Maybe celebrities ought to take a stand for their own integrity and stop allowing themselves to have their asses kissed by cartoon show production crews.
I've never seen Jessica Biel in anything, but I massively respect her for knowing what's up when she got tapped for Bojack Horseman.

"Jessica Biel is a really interesting case. She actually called us after the table read and said, "You guys should go meaner." She pitched us, and said, "Look, I know there are a lot of things to make fun of me about. I don't want people to think you're pulling punches. Please, dive in.""

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sRr6o8YdZY

"I'm one of the Jessicas!"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Good or bad I've never really gave a poo poo who the writers/showrunners of TV I'm watching were, but the decline in Simpsons quality is still easily observable. I am, admittedly, aware of who Al Jean is thanks to threads like this.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Daikloktos posted:

I've never seen Jessica Biel in anything

Seventh Heaven was underrated, and it's too bad the guy who played the dad is a child molester.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Seventh Heaven was underrated

Oh god I haven't thought about that sappy shitfest in years.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Seventh Heaven seemed pretty bad, but I guess it must have been successful. Even made it over to Europe, I remember watching it as a wee lad. In retrospect it's kind of a weird show to air over here, isn't it Christian-themed?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Phlegmish posted:

In retrospect it's kind of a weird show to air over here, isn't it Christian-themed?

I watched it as a lifelong atheist raised in a secular household, and I didn't pick up on any Christian themes. At the very least, it wasn't too Christian for my mom & me to watch.

That said, we also watched Touched by an Angel.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I made a thing

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

YeahTubaMike posted:

Seventh Heaven was underrated, and it's too bad the guy who played the dad is a child molester.
I always assumed that was an overtly Christian show from the name and the fact it aired after The 700 Club

Oh and now that I think about it I did see Jessica Biel in that landmark gay rights movie I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry. But her initial episode in Bojack is one of the greatest celebrities-as-themselves bits in the animated sitcom canon and that she was willing to recur several times is a testament. It's always unfortunate when a celebrity can't stick around and an animated show won't recast. Live action is one thing but vocal talent can be impersonated if it drives the story forward.

Obviously that wouldn't be appropriate for Bojack but Steven Universe probably could have got soundalikes in for the singers they brought in to play its fusion characters, a central element of the show who went underutilized in a speaking role after their debut for this very reason. Inversely, The Boondocks readily recast Snoop Dogg and Katt Williams to keep Thugnificent's crew together and A Pimp Named Slickback part of their universe.

To tie my navelgazing back on topic there was a two second cutaway gag with Mr. Bergstrom last year where they recast Dustin Hoffman for him to say like "oh no problem"

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
theres gonna be an episode where the men of springfield get addicted to camgirls and the episode is called "the simps"

just you watch

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Steven Universe is all the more confusing since they did outright recast one character when Sinbad (somehow) wasn't available. Ironically in the episode where a plot point is that he used to be a comedian.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The lowest point of the Simpsons is this display in a Niagra Falls wax figure museum (from the lovely wax figure thread)

I always like it when people try to depict Bart and Lisa's hair in 3D.

Daikloktos posted:

I always assumed that was an overtly Christian show from the name and the fact it aired after The 700 Club

I never watched it but it has the word Heaven in the name and I believe the dad was a pastor so it definitely had the vibe at least.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Seventh Heaven screamed Christian purity values from the rooftops

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AHH F/UGH posted:

Yeah, it did. My mom loving loved that show.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

The Moon Monster posted:

The lowest point of the Simpsons is this display in a Niagra Falls wax figure museum (from the lovely wax figure thread)

Lisa looks like she just came in straight from a Hellraiser ripoff, and I'm getting major hillbilly serial killer couple vibes from Homer and Marge.

As an aside, I've only been to Niagara Falls once and it was on the Canadian side. We were told, "Don't worry, it's not as tacky as the American side", in which case the American side must be an absolute living nightmare (aside from it being in America lolol).

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

I never watched it but it has the word Heaven in the name and I believe the dad was a pastor so it definitely had the vibe at least.

Is Bart saying "Ah... carumba"?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Why are Homers legs made of wax but his shirt is real??? And why is his shirt red???????????

What the gently caress my brain :psyboom:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

AHH F/UGH posted:

Can you give some examples? I honestly didn't catch them; it just seemed like a normal show that happened to have a priest dad.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

how about the scene where the parents find a joint and treat the kids like they had murdered the family pet or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB24X05F0wI

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Or this really weird one where a kid gets extremely.. agitated that his sister fell asleep next to her boyfriend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jg9a9cHQQM

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Last Chance posted:

how about the scene where the parents find a joint and treat the kids like they had murdered the family pet or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB24X05F0wI

:lmao:

To be fair though, that was pretty paint by the numbers of every family drama back in the 80's and 90's. The very special episodes were falling out of vogue by that time, but it definitely had some hold over.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I remember the huffing episode of seventh heaven. Which is funny because it’s the first time I had ever learned what huffing even was.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
All I remember about 7th Heaven was that Jessica Biel tried to get herself fired from the show by posing topless for a magazine shoot.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

All I remember about 7th Heaven was that Jessica Biel tried to get herself fired from the show by posing topless for a magazine shoot.

power move imo

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Parts of that show REALLY didn't age well.

https://youtu.be/ENPElDKQtXI

Don't read the comments.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The Bible posted:

Don't read the comments.

my reaction to reading the comments:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

The Bible posted:

Don't read the comments.

that's the guy who went to jail for being a diddler right