Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuckingusername
Jun 6, 2008
I don't think it looks that bad to be honest. It's fine. It makes no sense that it runs so poorly but I kind of like the aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Deadly Performance 2 (fps)

I’m enjoying it, but it is funny that they can get Doom and Witcher 3 running on a Switch but this Wii rear end looking game can barely break double digit frame rates. I absolutely understand why any normal person wouldn’t touch this game in this state.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
As someone who really loved DP and has played only a few hours of DP2, I agree with the general sentiment here. Yeah the framerate outside is rough and it has some jank but SWERY hit the scripting right and York feels as good naturedly batshit crazy as ever and I’m very happy so far.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
played for about 3 hours now and the game rules

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Early side quest that I think I might have broken? I didn't try to shower until after the Y-Vern service unlocked, so now I'm on the stage where I have to talk to the bellboy to repair the shower but every time I try to talk to him he just sends me outside for the taxi.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I loving love the conversation with Jawara. It's good to have a new DP game :D

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Apologies if this was mentioned in the thread already but just in case this saves anyone else some detective work, here's Supergreatfriend's July update. tl:dr He'll get to Deadly Premonition 2 but first he has to savor his time with it and he's starting a different game LP at the moment Forbidden Siren 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F6sPGdlhuE

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m so happy to be playing as York again

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
Gonna start this up tonight. Any D4 references yet other than the apartment?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nalk posted:

Not that I’ve noticed yet. There was an indirect Spy Fiction reference though!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It seems like this time York is no longer the sole weirdo in a town full of straight men. I'm digging what I've played through so far, but besides the framerate, the way conversations just stop if you bump into something or get off the skateboard is really annoying. The sound effects also make it hard to hear the voice acting during the conversations.

The writing seems to be pretty much what I expected. I've played for like two hours and haven't seen any combat at all, which can only be a good thing.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I wish there was a way to make the skateboard quieter or mute it and they missed a chance to have followers skateboard along side you.

The outdoor framerate is a shame. Reminds me of being a kid and trying to play games an outdated computer.

I like the game and story so far looks great but I can only recommend this for impatient big fans until the framerate issue is fixed sadly.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Yeah turning the sound effects down to halfway or so seems almost essential. Loving it so far, performance aside. It was great when you first get in a suit and that original music hits...

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Victorian Gentleman posted:

I saw a gameplay video of this and saw frames drop to almost powerpoint levels in the scene that was shown. Is that a recurring thing as fps issues are putting me off from getting this game.
Is it worth playing through the first deadly premonition prior to getting this?

Definitely play through the original game first. It is completely unironically great, and I'd hate to have the story ruined by playing the second game first.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Me: York is still his weird old self, but he hasn't been an rear end in a top hat to anyone yet.

York: Takes Patti's sundae and drinks it in one gulp right in front of her

Me: Ah yes, that's the York I remember.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

genuinely thrilled to hear york again over here

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Don't suppose anyone knows where I can find a green pepper?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Nalk posted:

The beginning of chapter 2 has York talking about his upstairs neighbor who is very clearly David from D4. He mentions that his team wanted to keep working the case but they couldn't get funding. :smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Game owns so far, I hope they the frame rate at some point but it s minor consideration right now

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I've played for a good 4 or 5 hours and here's my thoughts on it:

If you loved DP1 then you're gonna love this. If you were on the fence then you'll probably be on the fence about this one too. If you have no idea then you'll probably be best waiting for a sale or patch for the framerate.

It's obnoxious not having followers skateboard with you since there's dialogue with them. While you're on the skateboard it's just you and Zach and there's been a ton of repeats so far. Probably due to me being in the beginning but hearing about the sun beating down on him gets old after the hundredth time.

Gunplay is way better than the first one. It's still not great but they definitely tried to improve the combat and it shows.

Framerate isn't that bad compared to what people are saying about it. It's definitely playable and while it's probably never breaking 20fps outside it's still completely possible to do combat. I haven't had it dip to slideshow framerates yet outside of a few hiccups but once you get used to it it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. It's not great but it's not the worst thing ever either.

Overall it's more Deadly Premonition and if that's what you want then get this game. If you're a diehard fan who was on the fence due to bad reviews don't worry too much about it and just pick it up. I'm really enjoying my time with it and while it definitely lacks a ton of polish what's there is great if you can get past the jankiness of it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s pretty bad. At times it feels like an alpha that’s barely able to run. The game itself is absolutely what you want from another DP, but you’re gonna need to be extremely tolerant of the abhorrent frame rate to enjoy it. At this point I can only recommend it to hardcore fans of the original.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

People have different tolerances for frame rate problems. I’d say I am on the tolerant side but I still felt a little nauseated after a stretch today with lots of open worlding. Still worth but I have to take it in smaller doses I think

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva
I guess Swery watched True Detective.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How do I beat this split, I don't really bowl...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also is there a specific place to do the bees quest you get from the sheriff? It talks about a time limit and prizes like there's a minigame attached. Killing 30 bees normally will take ages.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

took like 10 minutes punching out the 4 in the park next to the church, skating a block away to respawn them, and then skating back to repeat. no idea about the time limit, it's the middle of the night atm and melvin isn't interested in taking this fistful of bee corpses no matter how many times i get him to answer his door

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Looking for thyme now if anyone knows where that might be. Also I figured out the trick behind the water pressure sidequest. David stays as a certain role depending on the time of day. At night he'll be on the 2nd floor as the bellboy, daytime I think he'll be in the lobby, and in the morning he'll be the chef

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’ve experienced two crashes, so that’s cool. Save often.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lets hang out posted:

took like 10 minutes punching out the 4 in the park next to the church, skating a block away to respawn them, and then skating back to repeat. no idea about the time limit, it's the middle of the night atm and melvin isn't interested in taking this fistful of bee corpses no matter how many times i get him to answer his door

You can do a round trip between the park with 4 hives and the cemetery next door with 5 hives then the park will have respawned, just over three round trips. Make sure you talk to the grave keeper.
Melvin will only take them if his in the sheriff office.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

man nurse posted:

I’ve experienced two crashes, so that’s cool. Save often.

also sometimes your HUD will disappear

also also sometimes York will just fall through the world

Maybe they should have gave this one more time in the oven

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My skateboard just stopped working

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
does anybody know if some side quests expire if you go too far into the main story, like in the first game?

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

psychoJ posted:

does anybody know if some side quests expire if you go too far into the main story, like in the first game?
I know for sure that one sidequest is only available during the early hours of Chapter 1

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I discovered one of the characters doing something untoward and suspicious as hell in chapter 1. Gonna spoil it in case it turns out to be indicative of later plot. Read at your own risk I guess.

It was between 5 and 6 AM, when the world is still in the red sky otherworld state, I went down to the altar where Lise’s body was found, and Melvin was there just staring at it, dressed in normal clothes instead of uniform. Talking to him just gave a kind of generic “Sorry, can we talk later? I’m kind of tied up at the moment” message.

I did it I cracked the case. I’m onto you!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I've found a seam in the terrain.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This chapter 2 fetch quest was not a great addition to this game

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/cthulhu_chan_/status/1281652803560062976

https://twitter.com/nitramsral/status/1281623110299443200

I can't wait for someone to start a proper Let's Play. If only I owned a Switch...

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 11, 2020

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

Looking for thyme now if anyone knows where that might be. Also I figured out the trick behind the water pressure sidequest. David stays as a certain role depending on the time of day. At night he'll be on the 2nd floor as the bellboy, daytime I think he'll be in the lobby, and in the morning he'll be the chef

Thyme is from Avery's sidequest. He's outside the Clarkson warehouse in the afternoon.