Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nanigans posted:

Disney hasn't sent out the instructions on how to cancel your Annual Pass if you're on the monthly plan yet, right? We want to make sure we don't get charged when we have zero plans on going back this year or probably next either.

I'm at Disneyland and after being told multiple times that I would be refunded for the closure months and not have my pass extended, they randomly changed their mind and told me I'm not getting a refund, and they want to just give me more time at the park that I don't want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'd be happy if they offered the ability to freeze what time I have left and then be able to use it after everything is done, but I feel like they don't want that liability left on their books.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/carlosgsmith/status/1281698188890705922?s=21

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Hazo posted:

grandfathered APs

The point of such a program is that you continue giving the company money, even if you fail to collect services rendered for the payment. There might be a year where you don't go to the parks at all, but if they've increased ticket prices so much by then they're hoping you'll give them money for the benefit of giving them less money. If you think about it, this perk gradually puts you on Disney's side at some future point, hoping they raise prices so your fixed price is more valuable. As a bonus, the park becomes less crowded because people who can't afford the new rate and weren't as financially stable as you were to buy the AP every year for years have all disappeared.

You're going to have to deicde whether to pay for The Year of Death or else pay whatever rates are afterwards. At least the cost for The Year of Death is like 25% less than a typical year since they're adjusting for the parks being completely closed for three months.

However if you're even asking these questions about if/when you renew your AP while being snarky about COVID, you're assuming this isn't going to be the new normal for a decade or more and that cities reliant on tourism like Orlando and Las Vegas aren't going to be economically turned to dust waiting it out. It's a very real possibility that this continues in perpetuity at a level you're uncomfortable with, and that's why the parks are opening. Closing for a year while and chanting for a vaccine does not guarantee a vaccine appears next year, so you may as well operate under the pretense that there is no workable vaccine and seniors are going to be annihilated for the foreseeable future.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 10, 2020

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

quote:

As the Florida Department of Education mandates that public K-12 schools must open in August, thousands of children in Florida are continuing to test positive for COVID-19.

According to the Florida Department of Health's latest data, more than 11,000 children under 18 have tested positive for coronavirus since the pandemic began in March.

CMs need to get the hell out of there

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The only thing that will stop covid in Florida (and the US as a whole) at this point is a general labor strike. Otherwise the corporations and politicians are going to keep throwing you all to the slaughter for capitalism.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 11, 2020

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

alg posted:

CMs need to get the hell out of there

I called out most of this week because I had an allergy flare up that I wasn't certain was an allergy flare up.

After today, I still have more concerns about cast spreading COVID than I do the guests. Just way too lax at times in break areas when it comes to not wearing masks and lack of distancing. It seemed to be better today now that we're operating more as normal, and I've found break areas that nobody else is using because their area hasn't been called back so I can isolate.

Still escaping ASAP though, it's not worth the risk at this point. I took a demotion with the closure and basically everything I had worked for over the past few years was wiped out overnight, along with any hope of upward mobility in the company.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/Imagine_Ears/status/1281401261875539968

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

mearn posted:

I called out most of this week because I had an allergy flare up that I wasn't certain was an allergy flare up.

After today, I still have more concerns about cast spreading COVID than I do the guests. Just way too lax at times in break areas when it comes to not wearing masks and lack of distancing. It seemed to be better today now that we're operating more as normal, and I've found break areas that nobody else is using because their area hasn't been called back so I can isolate.

Still escaping ASAP though, it's not worth the risk at this point. I took a demotion with the closure and basically everything I had worked for over the past few years was wiped out overnight, along with any hope of upward mobility in the company.

A co-worker in my area just died, and while its not directly from COVID (he had a massive heart attack), He was high risk for the same reasons I am, and apparently had been unwell for a while.

I'm loving TERRIFIED. My proprietor is offering people a 30 day leave of absence (that cannot be ended early or extended) and I am seriously thinking about it since all my unemployment hit at once, so I am pretty well set for a bit on money and could take the hit of no pay for a bit, but Jesus Christ, I just want us to not be open.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Friend's father died from covid yesterday. We hit 70k new cases nationwide in 24 hours this week (breaking the previous record by 20k). This isn't over, it's worse than ever.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Bioreconstruct is nuts and flew to Anaheim to take some aerials of Disneyland and some photos at Downtown Disney.

He was just posting stuff from Orlando yesterday.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

Bioreconstruct is nuts and flew to Anaheim to take some aerials of Disneyland and some photos at Downtown Disney.

He was just posting stuff from Orlando yesterday.

He's more helicopter than man now.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/1281805042127908864

Opening Summer 2020!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If we can dream it, then we can do it, yes we caaaannnn

(everyone is going to die holy poo poo. do yall think we'll make it to this time next week without it being 100k a day? Because I don't. Not at this point.)

E:

You know, it's not as bad as I assumed it would be? But it's still not gonna be great.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 11, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1282047419635716108?s=20

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dystopian hellscape.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You know, it's not as bad as I assumed it would be? But it's still not gonna be great.

I'll repeat my take - I think the measures taken are probably on par with what's being done in the international parks, which is great (and, because America, somewhat unexpected)! The problem isn't that Walt Disney World is necessarily unsafe environment, it's that the entire state (and country) is effectively unchecked, so any minor weakness in procedure is a potential catastrophe.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1282106395307806720?s=20

:psyduck:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You know what? Replace HoP with a few guillotines.

Also this

https://twitter.com/camillard/status/1282002485322760192?s=21

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

They say she has a nut allergy and ate a food that triggered it so it’s definitely fine and she doesn’t need to wait even 1 day before going back to the park.

Awaiting updates on this situation.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnXZP-4UX-E

First off, big ups to that Merida CM

Second, boom off pops the loving mask for no reason

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Poor horse :(

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/1281931232507551744?s=20

Horrified lols if any Halloween events go ahead this year. I can't imagine them making an effective house with the measures needed to not turn them into mass infection factory lines.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The haunted houses are just gonna be hordes of people without masks shouting at you for being a sheep because you're wearing yours and how COVID is a hoax.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Killer Karens from Outer Suburbs

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Tourists can’t manage to hold onto balloon strings but I’m sure everyone will be diligent and responsible with masks

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

If anybody is interested these are available today only as a timed edition. Both Orlando and Anaheim Sam's available. They're 9x12s so not super expensive.

https://www.allstarpresschicago.com/collections/ian-glaubinger

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Tim Whatley posted:

If anybody is interested these are available today only as a timed edition. Both Orlando and Anaheim Sam's available. They're 9x12s so not super expensive.

https://www.allstarpresschicago.com/collections/ian-glaubinger

Thanks for the heads up, went ahead and purchased the Orlando bar one

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, but only if you stay the gently caress away
there's a great big beautiful tomorrow, but if you go to WDW you ain't gon' be okay.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Can't breathe with a mask on if it's raining!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
It seems like there’s not even enough people there to make being open worthwhile. I know y’all love your Disney, but anyone that goes to the parks this year is insane :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

remigious posted:

It seems like there’s not even enough people there to make being open worthwhile. I know y’all love your Disney, but anyone that goes to the parks this year is insane :(

I think there's maybe a handful of regulars in this thread, at most, who disagree with this. I am not one of them. If you go, you are putting lives at stake and Disney is not worth that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, they’ve capped attendance at a level that appears to make it very easy to avoid anyone, and getting in requires an appointment via app. It’s not ideal for people flying in and staying at hotels because you can’t guarantee a slot each day. But if you live nearby and have a stockpile of masks already, I could think of worse things.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

So, they’ve capped attendance at a level that appears to make it very easy to avoid anyone, and getting in requires an appointment via app. It’s not ideal for people flying in and staying at hotels because you can’t guarantee a slot each day. But if you live nearby and have a stockpile of masks already, I could think of worse things.

I just watched a live streamer gently caress up social distancing 7 times in 4 minutes because they were passing someone and the walkways are just too close for people to walk shoulder to shoulder.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Disney needs to do the right thing and close, since we obviously can’t rely on consumers to make the intelligent choice to stay home.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

remigious posted:

Disney needs to do the right thing and close, since we obviously can’t rely on consumers to make the intelligent choice to stay home.

Free market, suckers!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That's a tough decision to make when the unemployment boost is ending with no renewal in sight and a ton of workers that are about to be hosed. I know we can argue "well they have the money to pay those employees indefinitely" but I'd be shocked if they had that sort of liquidity for 6 months.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I just watched a live streamer gently caress up social distancing 7 times in 4 minutes because they were passing someone and the walkways are just too close for people to walk shoulder to shoulder.

Huh? Social distancing means don't congregate in groups (like the above photo). Passing someone is fine, standing right behind them in line has been the real problem.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Huh? Social distancing means don't congregate in groups (like the above photo). Passing someone is fine, standing right behind them in line has been the real problem.

When you definitely understand how aerosol droplets spread in a pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bottom Liner posted:

When you definitely understand how aerosol droplets spread in a pandemic

No, but anyone who simply has had to go to a grocery store for the last four months knows that it's completely impractical to expect a six-foot bubble around your person to never be even briefly penetrated by someone else. It's been acknowledged by the experts that you'll occasionally pass within six feet of strangers, just don't stop and have conversations with them.

Even the Tokyo park's opening day wasn't quite that extreme. It's not that they don't expect bodies to never get within six feet, it's that they ask you stand six feet apart on markers in line and that Americans are really bad at complying with suggestions that aren't actually rules back up by expulsion.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 12, 2020