Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
By now this thread is just one person trolling and ten people getting trolled, if you are going to complain about Bitcoin grifters, stop replying to one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

kw0134 posted:

Only if we get to stamp THIS IS NOT A PLACE OF HONOR all over it.

Ah let me try and see if the warnings work

ghosTTy posted:

Nice meltdown

This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

xtal posted:

By now this thread is just one person trolling and ten people getting trolled, if you are going to complain about Bitcoin grifters, stop replying to one
and yet yours is the first bad post since ghosty :thunk:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Go forth and feed, trolls!

XA Shere
Apr 18, 2019
Doge to my last dying breath, all the way.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Darth Brooks posted:

At this point it feels like every Bitcoin enthusiast should be looked at as a grifter looking for a mark.

ain't no sucker like the sucker who thinks he's the scammer

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Discuss.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

No

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

the b stands for bgrapefruit

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It kinda looks like a big candied lemon slice and not gonna lie I would probably bite it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It kinda looks like a big candied lemon slice and not gonna lie I would probably bite it

Joke's on you, it actually turns out to be a bar of soap when you bite it

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Another fool taken in and destroyed by bitcoin

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

resistentialism posted:

B always meant Bape.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

this is now my fursona

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yeah without the rest of the picture I thought it was a cake or something.

When guns are outlawed only bitcoins will have guns. I feel there is something better along those lines, maybe someone else can finish and give me 90% of the credit for the idea.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

CampingCarl posted:

Yeah without the rest of the picture I thought it was a cake or something.

When guns are outlawed only bitcoins will have guns. I feel there is something better along those lines, maybe someone else can finish and give me 90% of the credit for the idea.

One reddit guy claimed to have tried to buy a saiga 12 shotgun(Russian automatic shotgun based on the AK rifle pattern) from "Eurasia" via bitcoins and got intercepted by the ATF in January 2017

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

resistentialism posted:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Necrothatcher posted:

Okay, I think I cracked what could happen in the movie:

4. That wallet's login details are encrypted with a 128-bit key, and the decryption details are on a memory card that can be fought over as the movie goes on.

It's on a ps1 bootleg/off brand memory card, and the seed is the character stats inside some vaporware japan only pachinko game demo given out at only three exclusive soaplands in 1993. Two thirds of the movie are determining what the gently caress and finding all the various bits, and the final climax to the film is breaking into some ancap nerd's fortress of solitude (looks almost exactly like Stalag 13, but done in 3/4 scale for some reason, oddly low ceilings) in order to find one of only two known copies of the game to exist.

At the very end, triumphant in their success at stealing the wallet some huge transaction would go to, a random Chinese botnet does a 51% attack, double spends the coins, and they're left with nothing, watching forlornly as the transaction sits in bitcoin purgatory, forever out of reach, but dutifully resubmitted every day until the poor server it originated from dies and grandma unplugs it to use her vacuum in the basement.

But wait you say, that's not how a 51% attack is performed! After credit sequence is some random stock footage of a Chinese science lab, with some random Chinese hackerman rubbing his hands as lines after lines of code execute only to show P=NP, evil laughter, fade to black.

It's a pinata, full of those Ron Paul IRL bitcoin things, but in a shocking twist, they're like those lovely gold coin chocolates that taste of wax and sadness, but in a completely unironic twist, the man who stored all his buttcoins in chocolate foil coins poisoned them all, and whoever knocked the thing open dies of some exotic contact poison.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 7, 2020

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I found out recently that John Mcafee likes to eat poop. He also likes bitcoin. Based on these facts, I have come to the conclusion that anyone who likes bitcoin also likes to eat poop. If you are monitoring this thread and you like bitcoin, please post proof that you do not like to eat poop. Otherwise, we will all take it as fact that you do eat poop.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Uh, yeah. That's why some people,and they're very fine people, only the best, call it "buttcoin". That's what they tell me.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

John McAfee is also a whale fucker, therefore,

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Well some bitcoiners do seem very concerned with admiralty law being applied everywhere.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

Gotta gently caress somethin

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!
Is there a trading/investing forum on SA or am I being blind?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

NGC773 posted:

Is there a trading/investing forum on SA or am I being blind?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?daysprune=30&forumid=200

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Still waiting for the positive benefits to society from bitcoin

It's been years and can't see anything

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Still waiting for the goon math of bitcoin's power curve at scale.

I mean if Bitcoin's usage goes up 100x then it'd use 100x more power right? That's always how things scale.

Meanwhile the transport of fiat cash and huge office buildings are powered by magical rainbow energy.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I think it's even worse than that though? As the transaction time goes through the roof.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

wide stance posted:

I mean if Bitcoin's usage goes up 100x then it'd use 100x more power right? That's always how things scale.

Meanwhile the transport of fiat cash and huge office buildings are powered by magical rainbow energy.

it's about price, not usage, since 1800 coins are generated per day then a bit under 1800*price worth of actualmoney will be wasted on the mining

let's assume miners get 50% discount on electricity so 4500*1800=8M USD worth of electricity

so you'll need that much money from new suckers per day (or print some tethers) just to keep the ponzi running or the price will start falling, that's why it's so much worse than a regular ponzi which can run on just one madoff with a laptop

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you could run the Blockchain on an NES, the computational power is both non-productive (ie, you could convert all raw material on the planet to for purpose supercomputers and there would be no improvement of performance) and zero sum.

when we say it is wasted that is what we refer to. banks and such do spend energy but until they all start running the AC on fill blast with all the windows open it's spent, not wasted. big difference between those two ideas.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

wide stance posted:

Wrong question. Bitcoin usage can't go up 100x because the number of transactions per 10 minute block is hardcapped. The last time it saw significant use was due to a gambling app and transaction speed slowed to a crawl

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

wide stance posted:

This post sounds a lot like something a poop eater would say.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 9, 2020

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

CoolCab posted:

you could run the Blockchain on an NES, the computational power is both non-productive (ie, you could convert all raw material on the planet to for purpose supercomputers and there would be no improvement of performance) and zero sum.

when we say it is wasted that is what we refer to. banks and such do spend energy but until they all start running the AC on fill blast with all the windows open it's spent, not wasted. big difference between those two ideas.
Turns out it is hard to claim efficiency when your system auto adjusts so that doubling your power makes the system just run half as fast.

My favorite part about bitcoiners claiming banks use AC, lights, and all that is that that stuff at your local branch isn't for the money (aside from some for computers) but for the people who deal with loans and safety deposit boxes and the rest of the giant list of things banks do that bitcoin doesn't and would have to use the same power for.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Nevermind the fraction of the financial industry that bitcoin actually competes against (i.e., payments) is nowhere near competitive on a per transaction basis as compared with either one of Visa or Mastercard. Like, yeah, the sum total of the financial industry is pretty big. That's because they're issuing credit cards, doing insurance, underwriting your mortgage, selling stocks, trading bonds, making payroll, paying taxes, providing surety for international shipment, and yeah, tracking how much money grandma has. Bitcoin literally only does the last bit, does it poorly and expensively, and does it at a rate which is wholly untenable for even a single large corporation's billing purposes, forget about an entire economy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

wide stance posted:

Wait are you someone's alt who forgot to switch accounts, you've never asked about power curves. TBH I thought you were asking genuinely how bitcoin power scaled with transactions

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

Wait are you someone's alt who forgot to switch accounts, you've never asked about power curves. TBH I thought you were asking genuinely how bitcoin power scaled with transactions

wide stance was turned into a true believer by that shitcoin pedophile that got permabanned (not seraph84)

When they all blindly bought in to a random shitcoin and had like 500x returns (on paper) in 2017 they were all convinced of both their stunning intellect, foresight and intelligence and the possibilities of cryptocurrency in general.

It later crashed but their brains were broken so now a couple of them forever haunt crypto threads on these forums, being bitter and condescending toward goons about cryptocurrency because their random gamble on a worthless shitcoin worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

wide stance was turned into a true believer by that shitcoin pedophile that got permabanned (not seraph84)

When they all blindly bought in to a random shitcoin and had like 500x returns (on paper) in 2017 they were all convinced of both their stunning intellect, foresight and intelligence and the possibilities of cryptocurrency in general.

It later crashed but their brains were broken so now a couple of them forever haunt crypto threads on these forums, being bitter and condescending toward goons about cryptocurrency because their random gamble on a worthless shitcoin worked.

This is basically the fringe finance equivalent of Al Bundy