Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Each state has its own reporting guidance, but those are the total based on the daily numbers released today. States released their stats at different times so each one is a different 24 hour slice

OK, so each number is a vague approximation but as long as the stats are consistently released over time we can draw reasonable conclusions from them. thanks for answering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good news! We’re flattening the curve.

Bad news! The curve is a million new cases every fifteen minutes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Everyone gets the virus but only the stupidest survive.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

EL BROMANCE posted:

Good news! We’re flattening the curve.

Bad news! The curve is a million new cases every fifteen minutes.

I believe you meant to say they were Fattening the curve.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hmmm....
Hey guys, when we said "flatten the curve" repeatedly were we accepting a vertical line as a solution?

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Well if you don't test you don't have so many cases and if you turn this graph sideways the line looks flat. Much easier than kajiggering the dates!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Glumslinger posted:

Each state has its own reporting guidance, but those are the total based on the daily numbers released today. States released their stats at different times so each one is a different 24 hour slice

Yeah it's important to remember that the graph isn't "How many people got infected today" but "How many positive results from past tests were reported today". It's an indicator of how testing is progressing, and many states are hitting a limit on the number of tests they can administer per day and actually closing testing stations early because they're running out, plus there's going to be a huge number of asymptomatic or low-symptom people who never get tested anyway. The 'official' count will always be lagging by a day or even a week (or more!) behind the tests and will never be an accurate reflection of the actual rate of infection unless they start doing widespread random tests alongside targeted tests.

(You also need to take into account the fact that a lot of the test kits in the US aren't super accurate but that's a whole other kettle of fish)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah it's important to remember that the graph isn't "How many people got infected today" but "How many positive results from past tests were reported today". It's an indicator of how testing is progressing, and many states are hitting a limit on the number of tests they can administer per day and actually closing testing stations early because they're running out, plus there's going to be a huge number of asymptomatic or low-symptom people who never get tested anyway. The 'official' count will always be lagging by a day or even a week (or more!) behind the tests and will never be an accurate reflection of the actual rate of infection unless they start doing widespread random tests alongside targeted tests.

(You also need to take into account the fact that a lot of the test kits in the US aren't super accurate but that's a whole other kettle of fish)

To add to that, it's also not how many tests were performed that day, it's how many were processed and the results returned. In states with lots of cases, there are weeklong waiting periods to get the results back. You can get tested, but it's gonna be a long rear end time before you get your results back.

Hospitalized patients also get priority for quicker testing over people with mild symptoms. And that percent of the population is going up fast enough to slow it down for healthier people. I wouldn't be shocked if the next important testing capability metric is average turn around time

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 11, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I believe you meant to say they were Fattening the curve.

Isn’t that how we make foie gras? Delicious, delicious population decimation.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

’I thought this was a hoax': Patient in their 30s dies after attending 'COVID party'

quote:

A patient in their 30s died from the coronavirus after attending what is known as a “COVID party,” according to health care officials.

Chief Medical Officer of Methodist Healthcare Dr. Jane Appleby said the idea of these parties is to see if the virus is real.

“This is a party held by somebody diagnosed by the COVID virus and the thought is to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected,” Dr. Appleby said.

According to Appleby, the patient became critically ill and had a heartbreaking statement moments before death.

“Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not,’” Appleby said.

Appleby made this case public as the spike in cases for Bexar County continues. She wants everyone, especially those in the younger demographic, to realize they are not invincible.

“It doesn’t discriminate and none of us are invincible,” Appleby said. “I don’t want to be an alarmist and we’re just trying to share some real-world examples to help our community realize that this virus is very serious and can spread easily.”

In fact, she said the positivity rate has jumped to 22 percent.

“This is a concerning increase from a positive rate of about five percent only several weeks ago,” Dr. Appleby said.

Thursday night, the city was reporting nearly 18,000 cases, with more than 1,200 in the hospital system.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FoolyCharged posted:

Hmmm....
Hey guys, when we said "flatten the curve" repeatedly were we accepting a vertical line as a solution?

No, but they were accepting “run the hospitals at capacity 24/7”.

It turns out that we can do way better than that, but expectations have been set low.

Less ICU capacity would have saved lives, in that it would have forced people to confront the pandemic earlier, ultimately resulting in fewer infections.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Someone I know in Cochise County (Arizona) cut his finger open and went to the ER, which he said was empty. Are they diverting people from the ER who may be contagious or something?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

WrenP-Complete posted:

Someone I know in Cochise County (Arizona) cut his finger open and went to the ER, which he said was empty. Are they diverting people from the ER who may be contagious or something?

When I went to the ER for an injury they checked my temp and asked about COVID symptoms before I even went into the main area after the entrance doors.

So yeah probably.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

WrenP-Complete posted:

In the UK, people have been avoiding the ER unless it really is an actual emergency. Turns out that a very large proportion of the people clogging up the ER in normal times never needed to be there in the 1st place.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

i mean yeah, disney is trying to recoup losses of being shutdown, and yeah they are a major contributer to floridas economy

but like

i don't see this getting exponentially better each week...so at what point does florida say hey, shut it down?

Eventually enough people will be dead or at least incapacitated to the point where there is a cascade failure in supply chains, and then it all just sort of 'stops'.

Disney world will be closed then

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

zer0spunk posted:

i dont know if this is real, but god drat

We lost some dude named Richard Rose, but is Romeo Rose OK? We need his genes to repopulate the earth

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Pistol_Pete posted:

In the UK, people have been avoiding the ER unless it really is an actual emergency. Turns out that a very large proportion of the people clogging up the ER in normal times never needed to be there in the 1st place.

Eh it's not just that people go to the ER when they shouldn't. There's also been a notable decrease in people going to the ER with what turns out to be early or mild signs of heart attack and stroke.

People aren't suddenly having less heart attacks and strokes, but they are more reluctant to seek medical attention. Referrals for cancer screening is also well down. Covid isn't just going to kill or hurt people directly by infecting people but also in terms of preventative medical care or by having other treatable illness go undiagnosed for longer.

Also without extremely robust urgent care clinics that fill the gap between what a GP can handle in the office and what is truly a medical emergency, people don't have a lot of other options besides going to the ER. Nor do GPs, who often have to tell someone to go to the hospital for treatment that isn't necessarily an emergency but is urgent and can't wait however long for a chain of referrals and future appointments.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

zer0spunk posted:

over/under on disney closing in florida after reopening tmrw? i say 3 weeks but i feel like that's generous

https://mobile.twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1279065358062637056

(yes I know this is California instead of Florida but still Disney parks)

e: oops mixed up the Disney parks :v:

Enfys fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 11, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why do we care so much about shunting people from the ER to urgent care centers?

ERs cost insurance companies more money, but isn’t it ultimately an accounting trick? It doesn’t actually take a great deal more resources to handle issues in the ER. It’s a profit center for hospitals, to the extent they can bill someone who can and will pay, and that’s not a problem that urgent care centers solve.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Disney World is in Florida.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

The agents of Grandfather Nurgle look a little different than I expected.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
They repainted the castle pink and blue for this reopening.

Pink for your fluid filled lungs, blue for your face when you lose the ability to extract oxygen from the air.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fatkraken posted:

They repainted the castle pink and blue for this reopening.

Pink for your fluid filled lungs, blue for your face when you lose the ability to extract oxygen from the air.

Tell the CHUDs it’s the trans pride colors and maybe they’ll stay away in protest.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

zgrowler2 posted:

So I live in Alabama and our city made masks mandatory in public spaces starting this past Monday. Went to Target on Monday for my first grocery run in 3+ weeks because I don't trust the public not to be godawful and maybe now that more than 20% of them are wearing masks it'll be fine.

I'm in the bread aisle, exactly one row deep into the trip, and this woman ten feet from me pulls down her mask to sneeze three times all over the bread. Just fuckin casually contaminates hundreds of dollars worth of food staples. I'm wearing the same N95 mask I've had since mid-March. I grab what I need and get the gently caress out. Haven't been out in public since.

I cannot express in words how mad I am about every aspect of the American response to the pandemic.

Yeah, seeing people do poo poo like this is is what makes me worry about fomites. For hygiene purposes you should just assume that everything in your cart got sneezed on a few moments before you picked it up.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Enfys posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1279064779735175169

https://mobile.twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1279065358062637056

(yes I know this is California instead of Florida but still Disney parks)

e: oops mixed up the Disney parks :v:

I can only guess what that shitshow of embeds is meant to be expressing, but for anyone who doesn't know this lass, she got covid pretty early on and she got it at one of the big theme parks. Now thousands more can have the Jenny Nicholson Experience!

She's a hyuuge Disney fan so it's good she's speaking out against them opening.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I knew that she was a superfan, and I knew that she got COVID early, because she said that’s how she ended up watching all fourteen Lands Before Time, but I didn’t know that her disease was Brought to You By the fine folk at Disney.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://mobile.twitter.com/RolandGuiscard/status/1279069381998317568

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

So hey, this Israel curve?

It's actually a lot worse than that.

I talked to a dude from israel and they're literally doing what trump wants: Slow down testing.

Israel also claims to have a 1.8% mortality rate which is like, 1/3 of most well-performing countries.

Said isreal dude immediately let me know that apparently they don't test dead bodies, so a lot of covid fatalities are not reported as covid fatalities.

And of course, it's summer right now and apparently tons of people are going to the beaches in tel aviv because ?????. And those are of course also places with the most slowed down testing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I knew that she was a superfan, and I knew that she got COVID early, because she said that’s how she ended up watching all fourteen Lands Before Time, but I didn’t know that her disease was Brought to You By the fine folk at Disney.

I dunno if she actually got it at Disney as I swear I thought I heard about her getting it from Knott's?

Regardless, even most of the disney thread here on SA is with her in that the theme parks shouldn't be opening.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That would only be the second most deadly disease spread by Walter Knott.

Dude was a major Nixon booster.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

gently caress Man posted:

My funeral director friend just won a bid with our city to create mobile freezer morgues.

"What if food truck but meat wagon"?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I dunno if she actually got it at Disney as I swear I thought I heard about her getting it from Knott's?

Regardless, even most of the disney thread here on SA is with her in that the theme parks shouldn't be opening.

The Disney Food Blog youtube is a loving trip right now.

All this being said, with a mandatory mask policy and what appear to be pretty good social distancing measures, the florida parks are probably safer than most of the grocery stores there, for locals at least. Deliberately coming to florida for a Disney holiday on the other hand...

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

The Disney Food Blog youtube is a loving trip right now

AJ is a sweetheart as a person, but her beliefs are garbage. I worked for her for a while. But she is absolutely thin blue line capitalism is god type. The DFB youtube doesn't surprise me at all.

E: edited for clarity but also DFB gets a hell of a kickback from Disney. We wrote some really stupid articles and I quit over one that was so unethical I just couldn't (it was about something pre-covid)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Mithaldu posted:

Said isreal dude immediately let me know that apparently they don't test dead bodies, so a lot of covid fatalities are not reported as covid fatalities.
This is common. I've heard lots of US doctors in podcast interviews etc. saying they don't usually test the dead. Not because the docs don't want to, but there aren't even enough tests available for the living, soooo

Also, I hear through the grapevine that docs in a hospital system in my area - one of the best in the world - are supposed to report only one cause of death. So, someone dies of heart attack and stroke and pneumonia, it gets reported as heart attack or whatever. A lot of docs are still putting down covid-19 as the obvious cause of death in cases like that, but certainly not all of them are.

Also note that underreporting fatalities has a much bigger impact on the case fatality ratio than underreporting cases. If you thought that 1 person out of 100 died from covid and it turns out that 5 did, those four extra people bump your CFR up to 5%. But if you thought that 1 out of 100 died of covid and it was really 1 out of 104...you're still almost at the same CFR as you were before.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mithaldu posted:

So hey, this Israel curve?

It's actually a lot worse than that.

I talked to a dude from israel and they're literally doing what trump wants: Slow down testing.

Israel also claims to have a 1.8% mortality rate which is like, 1/3 of most well-performing countries.

And of course, it's summer right now and apparently tons of people are going to the beaches in tel aviv because ?????. And those are of course also places with the most slowed down testing.

I wonder how the Palestinians are holding up through this. Has anyone seen any info?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

It's missing xi jinping surfing on the waves

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

I wonder how the Palestinians are holding up through this. Has anyone seen any info?

Well, it turns out that they’re being systematically killed by the Jewish state.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Zugzwang posted:

This is common. I've heard lots of US doctors in podcast interviews etc. saying they don't usually test the dead. Not because the docs don't want to, but there aren't even enough tests available for the living, soooo

Also, I hear through the grapevine that docs in a hospital system in my area - one of the best in the world - are supposed to report only one cause of death. So, someone dies of heart attack and stroke and pneumonia, it gets reported as heart attack or whatever. A lot of docs are still putting down covid-19 as the obvious cause of death in cases like that, but certainly not all of them are.

Also note that underreporting fatalities has a much bigger impact on the case fatality ratio than underreporting cases. If you thought that 1 person out of 100 died from covid and it turns out that 5 did, those four extra people bump your CFR up to 5%. But if you thought that 1 out of 100 died of covid and it was really 1 out of 104...you're still almost at the same CFR as you were before.

I still wonder what makes the difference in mortality rate. 1.8% is preposterously low.

I suspect that a lot more american docs mark dead people as covid, based on symptoms, than israel.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

AJ is a sweetheart as a person, but her beliefs are garbage. I worked for her for a while. But she is absolutely thin blue line capitalism is god type. The DFB youtube doesn't surprise me at all.

E: edited for clarity but also DFB gets a hell of a kickback from Disney. We wrote some really stupid articles and I quit over one that was so unethical I just couldn't (it was about something pre-covid)

I really wanna hear more about this, if you're happy sharing. If you are ok sharing but don't wanna derail then pm me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Zugzwang posted:

Yes it's indeed common.

It's been said many times already but the only statistics that will be significant is going to be to total increase in mortality, and this is where you will see how much countries have been underreporting or plainly trying to hide the truth.