Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Epitome was the one that tripped me up. Though I think a powerful spellbook called the Epi-tome would be a cool pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Now, I read from the Epi-Tome the spell of Hyper-bowlies

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Elfface posted:

Epitome was the one that tripped me up. Though I think a powerful spellbook called the Epi-tome would be a cool pun.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To this day I think it’s a travesty that the word is “bona fide” and mispronounced using dumb English rules, instead of “bonified”

You know, like to bonify something is like to verify its authenticity

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Data Graham posted:

To this day I think it’s a travesty that the word is “bona fide” and mispronounced using dumb English rules, instead of “bonified”

Consider your mom verified

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ulex minor posted:

down with lysenkoism, up with ly-mlem-koism

These look like goblin cats who've been bitten by a werewolf.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

:hmmyes:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

These look like goblin cats who've been bitten by a werewolf.

They're lykoi which have the nickname of werewolf cats.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I always thought Ghislaine was pronounced ‘Ghis-lay-n’. The first time I ever saw this name was from the Star Wars Kid from an internet age long past, and with recent events and people saying it ‘Gee-lun’ is just an eye opener.

And now, as a native English speaker, I can see why it has that pronunciation.

It’s still stupid though.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

I've been foiled :negative:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

dialhforhero posted:

I always thought Ghislaine was pronounced ‘Ghis-lay-n’. The first time I ever saw this name was from the Star Wars Kid from an internet age long past, and with recent events and people saying it ‘Gee-lun’ is just an eye opener.

And now, as a native English speaker, I can see why it has that pronunciation.

It’s still stupid though.

What trips me up is I used to know a guy named Ghislain who pronounced it "geez-layn" (hard "g"). Every time I see Maxwell's name I have to remind myself that that's not how she pronounces it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There actually is a thing where weeaboos who learned Japanese primarily from anime end up with weird and jarring speech patterns because real life people don't actually talk like that, and I imagine it's happened the other way around at least once.

I'm sure it isn't restricted to Japanese, but westerners have had weird situations like that since forcing Japan open. In the 1850s, when the first English trading settlement was allowed, the only regular contact the traders had with the Japanese was guards, merchants and geisha. At the time Japanese didn't just have a high/low distinction like other languages have but slightly different vocabularies depending on the speakers gender. The only people willing to teach any Japanese to the foreigners were the geisha, which lead to a bunch of prim and proper Englishmen sitting down to meet with government officials and pretty much speaking gutter cockney.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The only people willing to teach any Japanese to the foreigners were the geisha, which lead to a bunch of prim and proper Englishmen sitting down to meet with government officials and pretty much speaking gutter cockney.

Knowing what little I know about historical diplomacy, "I'll shell you until you agree to terms" probably translates just fine no matter what dialect you're using.

Content:

https://i.imgur.com/KCsILkP.mp4

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Data Graham posted:

"Bone a fee day" is the right way and also sounds dumb, though

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
i need to know what his parenthetical remark in the lower right is

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Zvahl posted:

i need to know what his parenthetical remark in the lower right is

"Dicks, too"

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Elfface posted:

For me it was non-sequitur. Imagine the laughter when I busted out “non-skwee-tur.”

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ask me about my love of eating Quin-oh-uh

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Bloop posted:

Ask me about my love of eating Quin-oh-uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1visYpIREUM

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Nah, that’s not supposed to be a John Wayne accent. That’s spoofing Howard Cosell, who was one of the most well known and influential sportscasters from like the early 60’s to the mid-80’s.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

fartknocker posted:

Nah, that’s not supposed to be a John Wayne accent. That’s spoofing Howard Cosell, who was one of the most well known and influential sportscasters from like the early 60’s to the mid-80’s.

This is John Wayne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VLzJX8CRzM

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/wizzzardboi/status/1281982855145558016

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
My favorite John Wayne impression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85G5SI5Nu3s

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This is the ideal horde body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Owlkill posted:

combine the phallic shape with the breast-like qualities

Just shut this site down. We did it, everyone.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Holy gently caress this takes me back. I haven't hear this song in over 35 years. And yet, I always knew it. It's so much worse than I remember.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Those are some R. Crumb-looking horses.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm sure it isn't restricted to Japanese, but westerners have had weird situations like that since forcing Japan open. In the 1850s, when the first English trading settlement was allowed, the only regular contact the traders had with the Japanese was guards, merchants and geisha. At the time Japanese didn't just have a high/low distinction like other languages have but slightly different vocabularies depending on the speakers gender. The only people willing to teach any Japanese to the foreigners were the geisha, which lead to a bunch of prim and proper Englishmen sitting down to meet with government officials and pretty much speaking gutter cockney.

This still happens to an extent since the majority of language teachers are women. Most people learning Japanese will (at first) learn a fairly feminised form of the language.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I want to say one of the Revenge of the Nerds films had a Korean character who spoke with a thick drawl. When asked why, he said it was because he was South Korean.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Free Market Mambo posted:

I want to say one of the Revenge of the Nerds films had a Korean character who spoke with a thick drawl. When asked why, he said it was because he was South Korean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vdmDB6DmCE

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking of, thank you!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oh I don't think that's nearly :can: enough

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

It's not nice to keep someone waiting.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://i.imgur.com/on9u6il.gifv

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Rooting through some boxes for something, found my favourite old newspaper

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/tasty/status/1280966608933003264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Some of these are cakes, and some of these are mostly just fondant with a little bit of sponge cake somewhere inside. That pizza looks loving good though.