Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Uh which Ys 4, the 16-bit ones are going to be a shock after 8 lol

The remake probably. Unless there's a reason to play the original instead?

E: Memories of Celceta is Ys 4 right? Because that's the one with a cameo so i'm probably playing that one next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I figured, it's just rare that Celceta is referred to as Ys 4 even though it is a remake. They're so different outside of the main story beats it barely counts as one anyway.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

There's essentially three different versions of Ys IV, all of which are wildly different.

Memories of Celceta is the canon one, but I think Dawn of Ys is the most fun one. Mask of the Sun can eat my rear end and I can't believe Falcom considered it to be the canon Ys IV before Memories of Celceta, not only because it sucks to play but also because apparently the Eldeen were using humans like livestock for food which... kinda puts Feena and Reah in a real bad light in the first two games.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Colonel posted:

the english dub for the remake is like unbelievably bad though, like holy poo poo how did they put out a dub that bad right next to ff7r everything from the performances to the sound mixing are awful and even the performances that are actually kind of okay are let down by nonexistent direction

I found the Japanese voices to only be slightly better. The game seems to have had a very rushed development.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I guess I didn't realise there were so many Ys 4s.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The first four games got ported to many different systems at the time and the ports occasionally varied wildly

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Falcom didn't develop Ys IV originally is why. They drew up some rough story outlines and then gave it to three different developers, one of which cancelled their version of Ys IV for whatever reason. Of the remaining two, Hudson Soft made Dawn of Ys while Tonkin House made Mask of the Sun. Memories of Celceta was basically Falcom's way of combining elements of both Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun, while still having their own original spin to it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only actual bad Ys game is V on the SNES and hopefully that too gets is a reimagining at some point.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I kinda get the feeling Ys 8 is a bit of an odd duck amongst the series. The crafting system, the village and the island exploration kinda feel like potential one-off gimmicks but if the general quality of the games remains similar I think i'm going to really enjoy exploring this franchise. I think i'm moving onto Ys 4 next, hopefully I enjoy it just as much!
Celceta is like completely identical to ys 8 (except it's top down and not as good) so if you're ready for more of the same you're definitely getting it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nate RFB posted:

The only actual bad Ys game is V on the SNES and hopefully that too gets is a reimagining at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdh6z6gNKMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaH4VuNXsBM

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ys strategy owns because from a glance you would have absolutely no way to tell that it's an ys game

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I beat Ys 8. I was pretty down with the sudden threat of a global apocalypse via dinosaur assaults and I was cool with the random revelation that aliens existed and at one point colonised the planet. But they maybe reached too far when an hour before the game ended it suddenly revealed that the world is just the dream of a goddess (who is our parrot) and in preventing the apocalypse we woke her up thus destroying the world until Dana suddenly became a god herself and remade it. Still a great game though.
They did NOT reach too far on that and it gets even better with the true end boss <Origin of Creation> Beginning of Life . It was bonkers and I loved it!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

jimmydalad posted:

Is Mary Skelter 2 any good/worth purchasing?

My girlfriend seems to like it a ton, comes with the first game as an unlock too so seems like good value.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Colonel posted:

early 3d games look loving badass

:yeah:

The Colonel posted:

really wild arms is like. the poster child for insanely goofy, janky jrpgs that are also kind of awesome. wild arms 1 is a short game made on a super low budget that people pretty much just treated as a curious stopover until ffvii came out, wild arms 2 is an insanely ambitious trigun video game with a party that includes a vampire girl and a guy who can turn into a kamen rider that's much better put together but has an english translation so incoherently bad that it's literally unplayable in english and it's still not quite as tight as a lot of other psx jrpgs, wild arms 3 is a three season + ova anime series in jrpg form with an insanely drawn out and barely functional sidequest about fighting aliens, and wild arms 4&5 are just wonky and divisive in every possible way, wild arms xf is an srpg that's so strict with its mission design the entire class change system still basically only gives you a specific setup that works for each given map. they're also games that really really like making references to the fact that their developers made a wonky gunstar heroes clone once

Wild Arms 1 is another one of the three-dozen JRPGs I've thought about playing (I should probably sit down and make a list at this point). From what I've heard, Wild Arms 1 holds up pretty well.

I've heard about the issues with the translation Wild Arms 2, and I've been curious as to why there's never been an attempt to do a fan translation (unless there was, and I just never heard about it).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ibram Gaunt posted:

comes with the first game as an unlock

its a remake too, and apparently for some reason the devs actually want you to play 2 then the remake.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Max Wilco posted:

:yeah:

Wild Arms 1 is another one of the three-dozen JRPGs I've thought about playing (I should probably sit down and make a list at this point). From what I've heard, Wild Arms 1 holds up pretty well.

I've heard about the issues with the translation Wild Arms 2, and I've been curious as to why there's never been an attempt to do a fan translation (unless there was, and I just never heard about it).

It's because the Crab Stick style translation is incredibly powerful already. (I think it's because Wild Arms just doesn't have a huge following)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Which is a shame. WA1 was great, and the western setting is both unique for games and has loads of style.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Which is a shame. WA1 was great, and the western setting is both unique for games and has loads of style.

Wild Arms was too ahead of its time.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy westerns didn't really get that big until 2 years after its initial release when the anime for Trigun and then Cowboy Bebeop and eventually Outlaw star and a lot of other poo poo a few years later (The trigun manga came out the previous year but didn't really blow up in popularity til the manga).

They were big by the time 2 came out but then you had the bad translation and the fact that it was a sequel to a game basically no one had heard of.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
As for the game itself the class system is fun, and highly improve from the original from what i read. growing dungeons only adds a new floor now instead of sections to each floor which sounds way better.

Its funny to me so many items in shops are useless since blood farming gives you much better returns lol.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I found out Grandia 1 and 2 were in the switch store and decided to buy them. I’m enjoying the game but as soon as they started using “herr” to refer to Mullen, I knew he was immediately the bad guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, gently caress Trails of Cold Steel 3's ending. That is all.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

ImpAtom posted:

Man, gently caress Trails of Cold Steel 3's ending. That is all.

gently caress because it ended there, gently caress because you thought it was bad, or just gently caress?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Falcom didn't develop Ys IV originally is why. They drew up some rough story outlines and then gave it to three different developers, one of which cancelled their version of Ys IV for whatever reason. Of the remaining two, Hudson Soft made Dawn of Ys while Tonkin House made Mask of the Sun. Memories of Celceta was basically Falcom's way of combining elements of both Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun, while still having their own original spin to it.

Are any of the old Ys IV games worth it? I've heard they play just like Ys II which is my 2nd favorite in the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

gently caress because it ended there, gently caress because you thought it was bad, or just gently caress?

Kind of all three! Mostly the first though. CS1 had a massive cliffhanger but before it came a sense that you reached the end of a story and there was just another one starting. CS3 is effectively entirely buildup but with zero satisfaction, including a last boss which feels entirely perfunctory.

I knew it was going to have a To Be Continued but it's like ending Empire Strikes Back when Luke gets his hand cut off instead of after they escape from Cloud City. I don't mind the ending being a bit of a downer but I'd like if it was an actual ending.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah, the tale of the red-haired hero... Abel...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Speaking of Wild Arms, GDQ is currently hosting a Wild Arms run. https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are any of the old Ys IV games worth it? I've heard they play just like Ys II which is my 2nd favorite in the series.

you're gonna want dawn of ys then

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Dawn of Ys is great and if you love Ys 2, you should like it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

drat it, not the Super Nintendo one. :(

Okay, I'll play it when I pick up a PC Engine down the line.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well if you're going the route of buying a retro japanese game console you're going to need either a pc engine duo or a pc engine with the cd addon since it's a cd game and i dunno how much that'll cost these days

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wanna play a video game but I don't know what I wanna play. This is a frequent struggle for me. I would love to find a good mindless dungeon crawler. Like, I think back fondly at stuff like Dark Cloud and the .Hack games. They weren't *good* games but sometimes I just want to churn through randomly generated dungeons and fight monsters. Hell, I really liked Rogue Legacy until it got far too easy and repetitive. Anyone know anything that would scratch this RPG dungeon crawler itch?

I just want to slash enemies with swords and blow them up with fireballs in endless randomly generated dungeons.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 11, 2020

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I wanna play a video game but I don't know what I wanna play. This is a frequent struggle for me. I would love to find a good mindless dungeon crawler. Like, I think back fondly at stuff like Dark Cloud and the .Hack games. They weren't *good* games but sometimes I just want to churn through randomly generated dungeons and fight monsters. Hell, I really liked Rogue Legacy until it got far too easy and repetitive. Anyone know anything that would scratch this RPG dungeon crawler itch?

I just want to slash enemies with swords and blow them up with fireballs in endless randomly generated dungeons.

I've been playing Hades a good bit lately. It's early access but it's by the developers of Bastion.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1145360/Hades/

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Speaking of PC Engine, one of my favorite games form the 16-bit console era is "Dungeon Explorer". The game is very fun with friends. I was shocked to see that it didn't get the best reviews during the Wii VC release.

The Colonel posted:

well if you're going the route of buying a retro japanese game console you're going to need either a pc engine duo or a pc engine with the cd addon since it's a cd game and i dunno how much that'll cost these days

I also heard that the Turbografx had hardware that tends to be very defective nowadays. Not sure if that applies to the PC Engine lineup.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Mordiceius posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor is good roguelike fun.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've been playing Hades a good bit lately. It's early access but it's by the developers of Bastion.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1145360/Hades/

I've been meaning to check that out.

Leraika posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor is good roguelike fun.

I've enjoyed Dredmor, but I've been looking for something more mindless actiony. I want to be able to just turn my brain off and raid endless dungeons.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Dead Cells?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I've enjoyed Dredmor, but I've been looking for something more mindless actiony. I want to be able to just turn my brain off and raid endless dungeons.

This might sound silly but have you considered a Dynasty Warriors game? Several of them have roguelike or infinity modes and even the ones without them have enough content to keep you super busy. There's plenty of leveling up and grinding for new gear and so-on and it makes for a good brain-off maximum-fireball game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'll second Hades, even in early access it's an extremely well put together dungeon crawler and stays fresh through loads of clears with a whole post-game progression system and continuing story content

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
My gosh, Grandia’s voice acting is really... something. I guess it’s a symptom of early JRPG localisation but man it’s rough but hilarious. Not Chaos Wars level though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

jimmydalad posted:

My gosh, Grandia’s voice acting is really... something. I guess it’s a symptom of early JRPG localisation but man it’s rough but hilarious. Not Chaos Wars level though.

http://www.audioatrocities.com/games/grandia/clip9.mp3