Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

CommonShore posted:

:confused: Why? There's nothing implausible about a sling bullet to the head killing someone, even if that person is very large.
the original language is murkier than you'd think around where the stone struck Goliath, referring to armor piece rather than body location, and it explicitly states that Goliath fell forwards after being struck, which is inconsistent with being brained in the forehead by a slung rock traveling at lethal velocity

it also doesn't help that the story itself was obviously edited later to remove the original killer of Goliath and replace him with David

the interpretation of the fight that I'm referencing is that Elhanan, son of Jair took out one of Goliath's legs with a well placed shot from his sling, which caused him to fall forwadsz and then closed in and beheaded him with a sword, and that the deuteronomist editor changed it to David killing Goliath with just a sling because they needed to show how David was a heroic fearless badass and King Saul was a pants-wetting coward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

jesus christ

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1281724115729223681?s=21

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's more Pete Seeger's thing:

"This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender" :chloe:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

https://twitter.com/AllezLesBoulez/status/1281744522096119809?s=20

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ekuNNN posted:

That's more Pete Seeger's thing:

"This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender" :chloe:

Bob Seger dedicated his band to hunting werewolves

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Any conservative under like 40 hates themselves for being young and purposefully dress and shave and act like they are one of the good ol' boys

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

edit: ignore me

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

oh my god

Brian Stelter is only 35 years old

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

One or both of these guys is the comic book collector from Better Call Saul.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mr.Radar posted:

Do yourself a favor and skip directly to season 3 after you finish the pilot. The first two seasons were rough and it's a miracle the show wasn't cancelled because of how terrible they were. The only major development you miss is that Tasha Yar dies and is replaced as head of security by Worf. Once you've finished the rest of the series definitely go back and watch those first two seasons, but I wouldn't recommend trying to slog through them on your first go.

There's definitely some stuff in season 1 and 2 that's kinda weird and interesting(the music in season 1 is significantly more interesting than that of the rest of TNG) but don't be afraid to skip around the episodes, most of them.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Copped another FB ban for calling out some seriously racist bullshit from friends-of-friends. In the midst of it, I knew I correctly remembered something: This guy I know who drives a Challenger laugh-reacting a straight-up incitement to murder people with his car (bottom right comment). Dude lives in Mississauga, ON. If you see this car near a protest, be careful.

Somebody has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Jul 11, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Platystemon posted:

One or both of these guys is the comic book collector from Better Call Saul.

Base ball cards, but yeah

Mark Proksch rules

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

An insane mind posted:

Goliath had ridiculously low CON though, he was gimped from the start.

if he was a warrior though that’s 10 hp unless he had like 6 con and who makes a warrior with con as their dump stat and it would still have to be a max damage crit

he shoulda been a wizard is what I’m saying then David wouldn’t have stood a chance. one magic missile and it’s over

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Ugato posted:

if he was a warrior though that’s 10 hp unless he had like 6 con and who makes a warrior with con as their dump stat and it would still have to be a max damage crit

he shoulda been a wizard is what I’m saying then David wouldn’t have stood a chance. one magic missile and it’s over

But then if David is a slayer with even slightly decent initiative he can get a full attack with sneak off before Goliath even gets to act. Which would murder a d6 wizard Goliath before that single fireball he'd ever get to cast.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

Copped another FB ban for calling out some seriously racist bullshit from friends-of-friends. In the midst of it, I knew I correctly remembered something: This guy I know who drives a Challenger laugh-reacting a straight-up incitement to murder people with his car (bottom right comment). Dude lives in Mississauga, ON. If you see this car near a protest, be careful.

plz reüpload w real names and i guess license plate number obscured or blurred

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Squizzle posted:

plz reüpload w real names and i guess license plate number obscured or blurred

You got it, my bad.

Mister Speaker has issued a correction as of 18:25 on Jul 11, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Filthy Hans posted:

oh my god

Brian Stelter is only 35 years old

angels to some, demons to others

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Helter Stelter

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

angels to some, demons to others

Now I can only see The Chatterer when looking at this pic :gonk:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/AKJANGRA17/status/1282002621394374656

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
what the gently caress

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

yes, that is the same person in two different portraits five years apart? their hair has gone whiter, it's grown out, and it's not a photograph so there's differences, this is not very hard to accept

i hate to say this because it sounds like a racist dogwhistle

but I think this person may be colourblind
and think all whites look alike

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think that person may be stupid as gently caress and insane, just my humble opiniom

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arivia posted:

yes, that is the same person in two different portraits five years apart? their hair has gone whiter, it's grown out, and it's not a photograph so there's differences, this is not very hard to accept

i hate to say this because it sounds like a racist dogwhistle

but I think this person may be colourblind
and think all whites look alike

I don’t care for you downplaying Adams power

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t care for you downplaying Adams power

oh is that John Adams in presumably the first one? My bad then, I'm Canadian and don't know the big American portraiture by heart. I hosed that up entirely then.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation

Arivia posted:

oh is that John Adams in presumably the first one? My bad then, I'm Canadian and don't know the big American portraiture by heart. I hosed that up entirely then.

tbf they are all old rear end white dudes in wigs

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Weishaupt with this?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Hindu supremacists are funny when the main kind of supremacists you run into in the US are the white nationalist kind

Well, except for the number they are doing to the Muslim population in India, gently caress Modi

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

"Christianity is a Jewish plot to undermine western civilization" is quite the take.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK so even if this was all 100% true: why the gently caress should I care :confused:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation

Feldegast42 posted:

Hindu supremacists are funny when the main kind of supremacists you run into in the US are the white nationalist kind

Well, except for the number they are doing to the Muslim population in India, gently caress Modi

wish they could meet

oh to be a fly on the wall

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Dr Pepper posted:

"Christianity is a Jewish plot to undermine western civilization" is quite the take.

It's not uncommon among Nazis. Little bit weird to see it coming from the hindutva crowd

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Every conspiracy is acceptable to the Q community but "Giants" is probably far enough out of orbit that there's no identifiable single reason why.

Yeah this is probably tied closely to Genesis 6:4 as well as the Nephilim stories; for folks who REALLY buy into angels (like not the hummels but like trying to learn Enochian) the Nephilim are kind of a holy grail because (in the stories I've read) they're half angels and ostensibly continued to breed. So YOU, holy warrior looking to be a hero, may have ANGEL BLOOD in your veins!

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Icon Of Sin posted:

Now I can only see The Chatterer when looking at this pic :gonk:

Have fun.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Continuity RCP posted:

It's not uncommon among Nazis. Little bit weird to see it coming from the hindutva crowd

American antisemitic conspiracies tend to get spread around to other countries' ultranationalists pretty quickly because of the outside influence American politics has on the rest of the world -- it gives them a nice comforting reason for why the obviously superior peoples of India (or Serbia or Indonesia or whatever) could be held back by Western powers without having to accept leftist intellectuals' theories of colonialism, and it ties their local struggles into a perceived worldwide fight against the supreme evil

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

"All Madrass in pak, india, bangladesh are jewish funded"

Is this dude saying that all South Indians are Jewish plants.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
go big or go home

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Giga Gaia posted:

flat earthers dont believe in trees? this is a new and wonderful one for me

Feldegast42 posted:

I wish I lived in their world -- it seems a lot cooler than ours.

This is a fun one: Flat Earthers Argue Trees Don't Exist. They're Not Wrong.

quote:

Here’s how the “no forests” theory plays out: Sure, there are things that we call forests, but these are in reality just low-lying bushes, the impoverished remains of an ecologically rich world that held 40-mile high trees, with trunks two miles across. How do we know? They’ve left their stumps behind. Flat top mountains are remnants of behemoth trees, cut down by impossibly large machines. Jagged mountains are severed stumps of trees that fell or were knocked over in some great calamity — a nuclear war or great fire, perhaps.

All rock on Earth is not rock — it is merely the rubble left behind of this ancient, sacred forest, which was once completely alive. River valleys are old quarry mines, their steep cliffs carved out by enormous machines. Volcanoes are just heaps of industrial waste left behind from this ravaging of the flat Earth; the toxic chemicals inside them react, generating heat and fire, and the occasional explosion.

Each of these assertions is backed up with side-by-side photos of the geological feature and the thing the narrator imagines it to truly be. The images show amazing similarities. We are challenged to spot ten differences, but we can’t because there are only two: material and size, our narrator contends.

The Earth appears flat, and so it must be so. Devils Tower in Wyoming looks like the petrified stump of a giant tree, so it must be. After all, if you can’t trust your own eyes, what can you trust?

quote:

Of course, it’s not true that the mountains used to be trees, but from a wider perspective, the Flat Earthers aren’t completely wrong. We are living on an impoverished version of our planet, undone by our own hands. The forests that remain are shadows of their former selves. We’ve become so accustomed to the world as it is today, that it’s almost impossible to imagine the richness it once held.

quote:

The Flat Earthers are wrong about the rock and the mountains, but they aren’t wrong to say we’re living on the dead corpse of a once-vibrant planet. When humans spread across the planet tens of thousands of years ago, massive die-offs followed, particularly of the large animals that are so critical to ecosystem health. Over the last 200 years, human destructiveness has picked up steam, with fossil fuel burning bringing unprecedented climate shifts. At the same time, the population is exploding, and more and more resources are pulled from the Earth to support our insatiable demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

well that was a ride