Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'm sure I read a rumour they made like 6 million copies, which sounds like a ridiculous amount to now be sold out. Lots of people are having a go at GW on their social media, but I think there's a big difference between "you should have known you'd sell a record number of these box sets in 15 minutes" and "you should print more copies to stay good to your promise of "everyone who wants one can get one".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanqol posted:

Go down to a dollar store and check out cheap necklace chains.

But watch out, they might get a rash and have they skin turn green!

If so, coordinate treatment with the Apothecarion.

:ohdear:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kitchner posted:

Bit gutted for a friend as he overslept by 45 mins and now can't by the Necrons he wanted

lol those things are gonna be cheap as free on ebay; I wouldn't worry

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've been converting a Smash Wolf Lord from the Space Wolf Pack box (I gather the meta's moving away from smash captains, but I'm still midway through building him), but what do people suggest I do with the other 9 minis? I was thinking maybe ablative Blood Claws or Wolf Guard. I have one of Mantic's tunnelers, so maybe I'll hold off on the the jump packs and send them into battle via assault drill.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Hey GW, how about for the first 24 hours you limit purchases of limited edition items to one copy, and then increase that amount afterwards?

The drat thing is going to sell out regardless, so why piss off so many people to benefit mostly scalpers?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Wow, I get the email at 10. Try to order at 10.10, all sold out.

Well done I guess but make a mockery of 'everyone who wants one will get one' line.

This is my first time trying to get a GW limited edition widget. I'll know for next time they are billy bullshitters.

If any of you are in London and are looking to flog your Necrons PM me.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
So do we know what time the neckbeard lottery will be starting in the US? I've heard 10am PST mentioned, but is that confirmed?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Seems likely as anything. I guess we'll know in 10 minutes.

Now that I'm nervous they screwed my (and everyone else's) LGS, I want to try securing a copy until I get confirmation from my guys later today. When do they charge preorders? When ordered or when shipped?

E: Well not 10. I wonder if what's selling out is actually the preorder package with the coin. It makes sense that those would sell out quick, and then oops we found more "regular" boxes around back.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 11, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

moths posted:

Seems likely as anything. I guess we'll know in 10 minutes.

Now that I'm nervous they screwed my (and everyone else's) LGS, I want to try securing a copy until I get confirmation from my guys later today. When do they charge preorders? When ordered or when shipped?

I think reddit was saying 10 Pacific, so you may still have a bit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Kitchner posted:

Bit gutted for a friend as he overslept by 45 mins and now can't by the Necrons he wanted. Serves him right for trusting GW that they would make enough kits and have "plenty in stock" and "everyone who wants one will get one" I guess. I would say that they need to print more after making such a big deal about having enough for everyone, but the box is such good value not sure it is a good business decision or not.

I'm not sure how it's GW's fault if someone didn't manage to buy a product they made no effort to buy. But keep on fighting the good fight I guess.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Airbrush chat a few pages ago was super helpful, but I had one quick question: how often do the Badger brushes go on sale and how cheap do they get? I don't want to spend money I don't need to spend but I also don't want to wait like 6 months to save $10 or something.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

GW's website seems to have implemented a visual captcha tool I have not seen them utilize before. Might be worth it to check in a few minutes before the sale and make sure to get that taken care of, as I think they might sell out within minutes. I have an order in at the FLGS but have heard GW has been cutting down orders to FLGS (via reddit, so maybe a questionable source), so I am going to attempt to get one from GW as well. If I end up with 2 I will give one as a gift for the holidays I think.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'm not sure how it's GW's fault if someone didn't manage to buy a product they made no effort to buy. But keep on fighting the good fight I guess.

I'm sure that GW will suck your dick any day now

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Really hoping I can get Indomitus. I play both armies, and I would rather go this route than try to find someone in the US who wants to split the Marines side and another wanting to split the Necrons.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I hope they reprint Indomitus, my boyfriend and I wanted to split it because he's getting into necrons

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm sure that GW will suck your dick any day now

gently caress off? If he was complaining that his mate was online at 10 and didn't get anything then fine, he'd have a valid reason to be annoyed. As it is he's just doing that lovely grog thing of pissing and moaning because of an unfulfilled sense of entitlement.

It's not even like he's missed out for good. Reprints were announced last night. And if he'd made the effort he'd have been able to buy it elsewhere for hours after 10:45am. It's pathetic that Kitchner is dribbling poo poo because his mate did nothing to actually secure a copy.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 11, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress off? If he was complaining that his mate was online at 10 and didn't get anything then fine, he'd have a valid reason to be annoyed. As it is he's just doing that lovely grog thing of pissing and moaning because of an unfulfilled sense of entitlement.

It's not even like he's missed out for good. Reprints were announced last night.

That is good that they will be reprinting it, could you possibly link to the tweet/message about the reprints?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't have a link to hand, but it'll be August. Multiple retailers have confirmed it, not sure if if GW have publicly or not.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

It's not even like he's missed out for good. Reprints were announced last night. And if he'd made the effort he'd have been able to buy it elsewhere for hours after 10:45am. It's pathetic that Kitchner is dribbling poo poo because his mate did nothing to actually secure a copy.

Wow a whole 45 minutes what a terrible crime to be asleep

Also source pleasr

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The issue is that GW gave very mixed messaging here. They promised everyone that if we wanted this box set we would be able to get it. Now all of a sudden its apparently a very limited edition run of this box set and no more will be printed. The GW site shows as no longer available online, not the usual out of stock.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No but seriously, gently caress off. There's always something you can genuinely complain about with GW, but not getting a limited edition item because you couldn't be hosed to be awake when it went on sale isn't one of them. That's just whining.

I said come in! posted:

The issue is that GW gave very mixed messaging here. They promised everyone that if we wanted this box set we would be able to get it. Now all of a sudden its apparently a very limited edition run of this box set and no more will be printed. The GW site shows as no longer available online, not the usual out of stock.

Fair point on mixed messaging, but they made announcements about restricting stock that served as a warning. And in general, these sets always go out of stock. As I said, if Kitchner's complaint was that the guy tried and failed when the sales opened I'd agree it sucks. My point is that complaining that GW breached trust because someone who couldn't be bothered to try and get it in a reasonable time didn't get it, is dumb.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 11, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No but seriously, gently caress off. There's always something you can genuinely complain about with GW, but not getting a limited edition item because you couldn't be hosed to be awake when it went on sale isn't one of them. That's just whining.

Living up to your custom red title.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://firestormcards.co.uk/40-01

This site has 151 copies of the box set available as of this post

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

I said come in! posted:

They've been very clear that this was a limited run box set for the launch of 9th, not the new starter or a generally available box that will be around for a while. It's also the largest print run of any box they've ever done, they just didn't anticipate the demand being so high. They also had to shut down production entirely for a couple of months due to this whole global pandemic thing. Making more indomitus boxes means that they can't use those machines to make other models, and they're already out of stock of huge chunks of their catalog, so if the choice is "make more of an explicitly limited box set" vs. "restock all the kits that are out of stock so people can buy intercessors or sisters of battle" they're probably going with the latter.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

My LGS hosed up and put the preorder up thursday. I shot him a mail about it and he said “whoops, that wasn’t supposed to be up yet” but he let me keep my order. My first 40k stuff, wanted a painting project

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

I said come in! posted:

Living up to your custom red title.

Funnily enough I got that because we used to have a another thread in TG full of people with broken brains who truly pathologically hated GW because of Sigmar, and years later still couldn't stop making up ridiculous scenarios to blame the world's evils on GW. This thread used to, mostly, reserve it's opprobrium for the actual poo poo they do.

I said come in! posted:

Good find, I'm genuinely surprised they still have that many left. Like I said though, the boxes are still there (for today) if people make an effort to look instead of just crying aobut GW and giving up. As is usually the way with these releases.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Just ordered from them but something doesn't feel right about it.

They said they have them in stock and ready to ship...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

notaspy posted:

They may have that number confirmed for sure, but saying you're ready to ship these is misleading.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

notaspy posted:

It is a bit odd that they have that many still in stock, but they are a legitimate trader and I've used them before. They are, I think, also primarily a card game shop so perhaps they don't get as much ham traffic.

I got my copy of the Titanicus Grand Master Edition through them after Element shat the bed and GW sold out, and that was far more scarce than today's release.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

55 minutes to go for American goons to have their fun complaining. :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Firestorm have shifted 65 copies since they were linked here. If you're on the fence make a decision sooner than later.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Maybe if you took a moment to take a break to breathe in between sucking GW's dick, you'd realise that the point of contention here isn't that they sold out of a limited edition box set in 15 minutes, it's the fact they very literally said, multiple times, "We have made loads of these, everyone who wants a copy will get a copy".

If you make a promise like "everyone who wants one will be able to get one" and then someone oversleep by accident by 45 minutes and wakes up thinking "No big deal, they said they had enough for everyone" only to find it sold out half an hour ago, that's not a reason not to feel bad for that person.

I have already even said in this very loving thread that you can't hate GW for having a product be way more popular than they imagined, but you can blame them for making a promise like "if you want one you'll get one" and then staying silent all day while they are sold out and, potentially, not making more.

Something you insist that they are doing, and if they are then that's good, if they aren't then that's bad because of the promises they made.

Sorry I've got empathy for someone who foolishly believed grand promises about limited editions from GW.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Limited edition stock goes out of stock shock!

Tell him to buy from Firestorm. In 45 minutes. It'll be funny, you can come here and complain about GW again.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Limited edition stock goes out of stock shock!

Are you so dense you can't tell the difference between saying something is limited edition, and saying something is limited edition but then literally saying "but everyone who wants a copy will be able to get one, there's loads don't worry"?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Fortunately I'm just dense enough to have reserved my pre-order ahead of time. Thus not missing out on a limited availability item that was obviously going to sell out in minutes at GW, based on past experience and GW's own stock warnings, by making zero effort to buy it.

You did catch the part about them making more didn't you? Your friend will have a second chance to climb the mountain of effort that is "be at the shop when it opens".

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 11, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you buy the rulebook today, do you automatically get access to the digital version or do you still have to wait?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I just wish they'd do a Space Hulk re-release (although only having Smol Terms in the box is probably a hard-stop these days? :sigh:).

E: Not that using terminators on space hulks ever made a whole lot of sense, mind you?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Fortunately I'm just dense enough to have reserved my pre-order ahead of time. Thus not missing out on a limited availability item that was obviously going to sell out in minutes at GW, based on past experience and GW's own stock warnings, by making zero effort to buy it.

So what you're saying is, that my friend who joined the hobby about 6 months ago, is at fault because he believed GW when they very clearly and explicitly said there was enough for everyone to get them?

Lol OK.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Airbrush chat a few pages ago was super helpful, but I had one quick question: how often do the Badger brushes go on sale and how cheap do they get? I don't want to spend money I don't need to spend but I also don't want to wait like 6 months to save $10 or something.

There's some occasional dips to mid-$60 for the Patriot from it's regular upper-$70. They also annually have a 'birthday sale' in mid-January where they sell them for the company age (so $57 in 2021) although fulfillment on those can be 3-6+ months. Given the wait it's less of a deal for a standard Patriot but pretty decent if you want to pick up a Sotar.

If one was really looking to be thrifty the Master's airbrush is pretty decent for <$30 if you can trust yourself not to screw up and crossthread the tiny nozzle. Then pick up a discounted Sotar later for real precision work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

You are being a bit of a dick but at the same time lol at sleeping in till 10:45 on a saturday when you should be up at 6am slam painting your blood angels in anticipation for some shiny new marine/robo skeleton arrivals