Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

If you close a book and open a new one the old book didn't unhappen. Jesus Christ almighty.

while mario (and we as an audience) have experienced all of the games prior to mario galaxy, there is no guarantee that peach, luigi, toad or the rest of the gang have, as those versions of themselves are sucked into the black hole. it is mario and rosalina alone who recreate the mushroom kingdom using star bits, so anything that mario did not directly experience (most of luigi's mansion, etc) is probably very different for the current luigi et alia. he may also have made improvements to his own history. this allows for nintendo to dispense with mario's long and overburdened continuity so that the kind of debates of which this thread is an example become irrelevant to the main canon of mario's adventures.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bicyclops posted:

while mario (and we as an audience) have experienced all of the games prior to mario galaxy, there is no guarantee that peach, luigi, toad or the rest of the gang have, as those versions of themselves are sucked into the black hole. it is mario and rosalina alone who recreate the mushroom kingdom using star bits, so anything that mario did not directly experience (most of luigi's mansion, etc) is probably very different for the current luigi et alia. he may also have made improvements to his own history. this allows for nintendo to dispense with mario's long and overburdened continuity so that the kind of debates of which this thread is an example become irrelevant to the main canon of mario's adventures.

you assume the games take place in their release order? :crossarms:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

elf help book posted:

you assume the games take place in their release order? :crossarms:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

They've experienced them all because that didn't really happen. It was a play they were putting on. They are actors. Children understand this and Shigsy himself has tried to explain it to the rubes and fools that make up this very subforum. Begone

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Bicyclops posted:

a scientist, with an ivy league degree hanging above him: Mario literally just gets bigger when he eats the mushroom

A real scientist would understand the principles of conservation of mass and energy. Your transparent appeal to authority has failed completely.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECzy3Hq1hd4

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

The coins are round?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This is just an artist's representation of the 2D data. While technically impressive, it has no real relevance to Depth Theory.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If you think that’s real I’ve a picture of a PS7 prototype to sell you

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

If you think that’s real I’ve a picture of a PS7 prototype to sell you

if its just a picture of it id be willing to buy it, cant be that expensive

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

apropos to nothing posted:

if its just a picture of it id be willing to buy it, cant be that expensive

Hell, I'll give it away:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Hell, I'll give it away:

glad they managed to reduce the size a little

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Hell, I'll give it away:

No ur ruin8ng the economy!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arrhythmia posted:

Hell, I'll give it away:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the visual representation of Mario is reflective of Mario's perception of self, and is untethered from his actual physical characteristics. eating the mushroom gives Mario increased confidence and self-esteem, he views himself as larger. with this increased confidence, he can take an extra hit from an enemy and break bricks (in actuality, "small" Mario could also break bricks physically, but since he does not believe that he can, it is impossible for him).

as to not being able to fit in small spaces, "large" mario (note also that he is canonically referred to as "super", not "large" Mario) has an overabundance of confidence, and with it, a deep claustrophobia when confined to small spaces. much like "small" Mario's constitutional incapability to break bricks, "super" Mario will not allow himself to be squeezed into a confined space

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Plank Walker posted:

the visual representation of Mario is reflective of Mario's perception of self, and is untethered from his actual physical characteristics. eating the mushroom gives Mario increased confidence and self-esteem, he views himself as larger. with this increased confidence, he can take an extra hit from an enemy and break bricks (in actuality, "small" Mario could also break bricks physically, but since he does not believe that he can, it is impossible for him).

as to not being able to fit in small spaces, "large" mario (note also that he is canonically referred to as "super", not "large" Mario) has an overabundance of confidence, and with it, a deep claustrophobia when confined to small spaces. much like "small" Mario's constitutional incapability to break bricks, "super" Mario will not allow himself to be squeezed into a confined space
This isn't right

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mushroom makes him big

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plank Walker posted:

ive said this before but after thinking about it its dead loving wrong.the mushroom makes him bigger.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Mushroom makes him big

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Mushroom makes him big

That's one way to look at it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
baby mario is his original size, op

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Mushroom makes him big

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EmmyOk posted:

Mushroom makes him big

Yeah and sun go around earth durdurrrr

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
In every single game where Mario changes size, Mario starts out small.

Mario's original size is small. Topic locked.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

not so fast - I would like to see large mario represented in Mario 64 form.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

according to tiny huge islaand smaall mario is smaller than mario and big mario iss bigger than mario. so the answer is, neither small mario nor big mario is the original mario

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you want to get technical, mario's original original size is neither big nor small. Jump Man had only one size.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Klowner posted:

if you want to get technical, mario's original original size is neither big nor small. Jump Man had only one size.

That size was small, jump man is small.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

American McGay posted:

Mario starts out big in Mario 2, 3D Land and 3D World.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Leadthumb posted:

Mario starts out big in Mario 2, 3D Land and 3D World.

it's linked to his headspace. in Super Mario Bros he's on his first adventure and starts out wary, therefore "small". mario 2 is a dream, and in 3D World and Land he's a seasoned adventurer and confident in his abilities

but his true size is small, since he fits within 1 block high spaces

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Guess what fucktards. The Super Mushroom makes EVERYONE bigger who consumes it in Super Smash Bros.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Mushroom makes him big

yeah. but you arent born with a mushroom inside of you. you have to gte it from the ? block

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

yeah. but you arent born with a mushroom inside of you.

Maybe YOU'RE not.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

The Klowner posted:

Jumpman is Mario and Luigi's father

source: the mario wiki. theres no reference but it is a wiki so its probably right

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fanon Quotes
"I hope you two grow up to be amazing people."-by Mattgamer03
"Darn! I lost my hat again!"-by Mattgamer03
"Luigi! I haven't seen you since you left home! You've grown so much!"-by Mattgamer03
"Hey, is that your girlfriend Peach? I've heard so much about you. She's beautiful."-by Mattgamer03
"I will get that kong if it's the last thing I do!"-by Mattgamer03

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

*speaking forcefully, as if someone would disagree* when Mario eats a mushroom he gets bigger

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Guess what fucktards. The Super Mushroom makes EVERYONE bigger who consumes it in Super Smash Bros.

Oh poo poo.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Alright. Which one is everyone's original size?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Wormskull posted:

basing anything on Smash Bros is a fool's errand, unless you're also able to explain this?