Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I probably read The Kid Who Only Hit Homers a dozen times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Selachian posted:

Matt Christopher. A favorite of mine when I was a kid too (despite being totally unathletic in reality).

That's definitely him. Thanks!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Children's animated book published pre-1999 with a visual complexity somewhere between an Usborne puzzle book and Graeme Base. I'm not certain now if it was a puzzle book itself, or just had very complex drawings.

The only thing I can recall is that the young male(?) protagonist meets another boy who is sad, because at one stage he'd had a wish granted to be young/live forever and watched all his friends grow up and die.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Children's animated book published pre-1999 with a visual complexity somewhere between an Usborne puzzle book and Graeme Base. I'm not certain now if it was a puzzle book itself, or just had very complex drawings.

The only thing I can recall is that the young male(?) protagonist meets another boy who is sad, because at one stage he'd had a wish granted to be young/live forever and watched all his friends grow up and die.

Is this How To Live Forever by Colin Thompson?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

wizzardstaff posted:

Is this How To Live Forever by Colin Thompson?

Bang on. I thought it was just an incidental part, not the main storyline. Thanking you!

Maxus
May 5, 2017
Can anyone help me? I've periodically trying to find a book I read more than twenty-five years ago when I was in elementary school. Would have been published before 94/95.

A fantasy book, maybe middle-grade, might have been for older readers (I was an advanced reader).

-There were two main characters, a boy and a girl (young man/young woman?) I remember the guy is introduced when he's walking down a forest trail a bird flies right by him, but he doesn't turn to look because he's only letting himself look backwards every mile or so. This distinctly stuck out to me because I couldn't imagine having the discipline to do that. He's a on a journey or something.

-I remember the heroine dies at one point, kinda early on, gets revived, and the hero is so glad he kisses her.

-I know the villainess is an evil sorceress queen. Who rules the country they're in. Seems like she's after the heroine?

-The couple find a house that I remember being shared by an old woman and a woodcutter(?). The old woman has treated the house's floor (waxed it?) so no evil can enter the house for a month, but the woodcutter works for the evil queen (more because he can't beat her or something, I remember it felt like) and grumbles about how it's the queen's country and if she finds she can't enter a house in her country there'll be trouble.

-Seems like the woodcutter got killed by a claw from a summoned dragon that he was turning to stone with his bestowed powers from the Queen (I think). He was doing something to it to render it immobile.

-Also, there's a part late in the book where the hero is riding on the back of serpent or a seal thing that can go through a magic shortcut and it's completely dark and so silent and he can hear the rush of blood in his ears.

I want to find this and read this and see how bonkers it is and what the actual plot was and it's been bugging me off and on ten years or more.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Maxus posted:

Can anyone help me? I've periodically trying to find a book I read more than twenty-five years ago when I was in elementary school. Would have been published before 94/95.

A fantasy book, maybe middle-grade, might have been for older readers (I was an advanced reader).

-There were two main characters, a boy and a girl (young man/young woman?) I remember the guy is introduced when he's walking down a forest trail a bird flies right by him, but he doesn't turn to look because he's only letting himself look backwards every mile or so. This distinctly stuck out to me because I couldn't imagine having the discipline to do that. He's a on a journey or something.

-I remember the heroine dies at one point, kinda early on, gets revived, and the hero is so glad he kisses her.

-I know the villainess is an evil sorceress queen. Who rules the country they're in. Seems like she's after the heroine?

-The couple find a house that I remember being shared by an old woman and a woodcutter(?). The old woman has treated the house's floor (waxed it?) so no evil can enter the house for a month, but the woodcutter works for the evil queen (more because he can't beat her or something, I remember it felt like) and grumbles about how it's the queen's country and if she finds she can't enter a house in her country there'll be trouble.

-Seems like the woodcutter got killed by a claw from a summoned dragon that he was turning to stone with his bestowed powers from the Queen (I think). He was doing something to it to render it immobile.

-Also, there's a part late in the book where the hero is riding on the back of serpent or a seal thing that can go through a magic shortcut and it's completely dark and so silent and he can hear the rush of blood in his ears.

I want to find this and read this and see how bonkers it is and what the actual plot was and it's been bugging me off and on ten years or more.

This sounds very Susan Cooper.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

xcheopis posted:

This sounds very Susan Cooper.

If it's Susan Cooper it's probably Seaward. The details ring a faint bell but it's been years since I read it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11308.Seaward

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Runcible Cat posted:

If it's Susan Cooper it's probably Seaward. The details ring a faint bell but it's been years since I read it.

Ed: yeah, Westerly's doing the not-looking-back thing on the first page.

Ed ed: pffft, q!=e

Maxus
May 5, 2017

Runcible Cat posted:

Ed: yeah, Westerly's doing the not-looking-back thing on the first page.

Ed ed: pffft, q!=e

DUDE.

THIS IS IT.

This has resisted every attempt I've made to track it down based on googling details I remember for the past ten years and I'm not bad at it. It's stumped other "What's that book" threads.

Seriously, thank you. I just ordered this and then I'm going to read it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Maxus posted:

DUDE.

THIS IS IT.

This has resisted every attempt I've made to track it down based on googling details I remember for the past ten years and I'm not bad at it. It's stumped other "What's that book" threads.

Seriously, thank you. I just ordered this and then I'm going to read it.

Yay! I hope it's worth the wait!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Just wanna say I love this thread. I usually can't answer but someone else can and that is good

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

quote:

So it's a fantasy with sci fi elements. Main character is an alien boy who's father is running a town that's a human town and has a human concubine that is the alien boy's stepmother one detail I remember is that he goes to some bad guys hideout and they're talking and the guy offers him food and the food looks terrible to the kid but he eats it anyway because he wants to show he's tough then the guy laughs at him and says it's rotten squid guts and basically to trust your instinct and not try to be so cool. At some point the kid turns into a human girl and is on a quest for something there's another character who becomes a Dragon Knight and that's pretty much what I remember it's also a book series

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Runcible Cat posted:

I was thinking that specifically, too.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I might be vaguely remembering the first book in this series. If I remember right the boy doesn't simply turn into a girl, his soul is transferred to the body of a girl that had just recently died of some disease. Also the aliens had a few names I'd have trouble imagining how to pronounce, mostly because they'd have a letter repeated 3 times (ie something like Grejjjek).

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
My dad is trying to remember a sci-fi/mystery novel where an alien weapon on a moon of Mars shoots two warning shots, one through the Earth and one through Mars and it goes from there. Possibly from the 2000s. Anybody have any ideas?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Human Tornada posted:

My dad is trying to remember a sci-fi/mystery novel where an alien weapon on a moon of Mars shoots two warning shots, one through the Earth and one through Mars and it goes from there. Possibly from the 2000s. Anybody have any ideas?

A hugely misremembered Seveneves?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

Did some googling, maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_(novel) ?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

There was a Bugs Bunny cartoon...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's a book by Lincoln childs or Douglas Preston. I remember it. Can't recall the name though. There's the initial one that blows the poo poo outta the moon and a shot at earth that ends up making some weird special gemstones that a dude gets hired by the government to investigate, I think. It gets tied all together at the end.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's a book by Lincoln childs or Douglas Preston. I remember it. Can't recall the name though. There's the initial one that blows the poo poo outta the moon and a shot at earth that ends up making some weird special gemstones that a dude gets hired by the government to investigate, I think. It gets tied all together at the end.
I think this one is called simply Impact. Not sure if it's the book OP is looking for though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 1, 2020

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
My dad's pretty sure it was Impact by Douglas Preston, that's exactly the kind of author he reads. Thanks all.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

My dad's pretty sure it was Impact by Douglas Preston, that's exactly the kind of author he reads. Thanks all.

Woot! Glad I found it. FYI: I read the 'In Fiction' section of Mars two moons and found the link to the novel from that.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

You're thinking of the video game Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Here’s a weird, vague one that my mind dredged up from a decade ago that I want to reread. It was a fantasy/romance book that involved a magic system that required people to be paired up, one to act as drummer (I’m pretty sure it was specifically drums) for the other one. A woman gets reluctantly paired up as drummer for a playboy type character nicknamed ‘The Stallion’ (IIRC), but it turns out that he was actually inexperienced/a virgin at the end.

I read a lot of weird fantasy books in college.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DreamingofRoses posted:

Here’s a weird, vague one that my mind dredged up from a decade ago that I want to reread. It was a fantasy/romance book that involved a magic system that required people to be paired up, one to act as drummer (I’m pretty sure it was specifically drums) for the other one. A woman gets reluctantly paired up as drummer for a playboy type character nicknamed ‘The Stallion’ (IIRC), but it turns out that he was actually inexperienced/a virgin at the end.

I read a lot of weird fantasy books in college.

If it was kinda feminist based, it might be part of the Spellsong Cycle by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

I recall it has drums and rhythms and whatnot, but I bailed on it after the first book.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

If it was kinda feminist based, it might be part of the Spellsong Cycle by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

I recall it has drums and rhythms and whatnot, but I bailed on it after the first book.

I don’t think that’s it. From what I can recall the girl didn’t do the world-transfer thing.

Edit: talked to a librarian friend of mine and she helped me find it. It’s Resenting the Hero by Moira J. Moore.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 8, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I read a book about a police detective in cleveland who gets turned into a vampire and solves crimes with his human partner. It's not Simon R Green, or it might be - but it's not his nightside series. Date it to approximately 2010-2015. Cannot for the life of me remember the title or author. Any help?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
P.N. Elrod has a vamp detective series, can't recall much about it though. Remember any other details? Ebook or paperback? Cover art? Plot? What was the mystery about?

I'm wondering if I read it, this seems to be the kind of crap I used to read and still do read all the time.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Dude gets sucked into a fantasy world, discovers that their magic system can like, be translated into binary or something and uses that to become super good at magic. There was also a dumb sub-plot where the love interest thought he was only interested in her because she cast a love spell on him, but it turned out the spell didn't work to begin with. In the end he actually loses to the head evil guy because he's still a novice with no stamina but another wizard saves the day (the only interesting part). I feel like riding dragons may have featured

Popped into my head because it's basically one of those garbage isekai stories but it had to be at least a decade or two old and before those got really big

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The Chad Jihad posted:

Dude gets sucked into a fantasy world, discovers that their magic system can like, be translated into binary or something and uses that to become super good at magic. There was also a dumb sub-plot where the love interest thought he was only interested in her because she cast a love spell on him, but it turned out the spell didn't work to begin with. In the end he actually loses to the head evil guy because he's still a novice with no stamina but another wizard saves the day (the only interesting part). I feel like riding dragons may have featured

Popped into my head because it's basically one of those garbage isekai stories but it had to be at least a decade or two old and before those got really big

I've intentionally forgotten most of it but sounds a bit like Off To Be The Wizard

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

P.N. Elrod has a vamp detective series, can't recall much about it though. Remember any other details? Ebook or paperback? Cover art? Plot? What was the mystery about?

I'm wondering if I read it, this seems to be the kind of crap I used to read and still do read all the time.

Its not the Vampire Files, those were in Prohibition Chicago. It was modern day and he was dealing with his son being a vampire too while he was still human (he turns at the end)

It was contemporary and in paperback, had a lime green or yellow box on the cover and was a pretty lighthearted book, not grimdark. The finale was at a dam.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

I've intentionally forgotten most of it but sounds a bit like Off To Be The Wizard

That was too recent, however you still get the credit as reading that books description led me to google "magic is computer code book" which popped up Wizards Bane which is what I was looking for

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/631233.Wizard_s_Bane#bookDetails
(Fun fact the main characters name is literally Wiz)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Chad Jihad posted:

That was too recent, however you still get the credit as reading that books description led me to google "magic is computer code book" which popped up Wizards Bane which is what I was looking for

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/631233.Wizard_s_Bane#bookDetails
(Fun fact the main characters name is literally Wiz)

A less lighthearted version of that story is S Andrew Swann’s Broken Crescent: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/519338.Broken_Crescent

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I think I have a thread-beater. Story my brother listened to on cassette in the mid to late 80s, borrowed from the local library (UK). My sister and I both think it was called Taffy Apple, and about a green rabbit of the same name. We both distinctly remember a side character (sister of the main character maybe?) saying of a chicken “I’ll call it Poppy because it’s red, red red as a poppy!”

It’s not Taffy the Rabbit who wants to watch a football match, and it’s nothing to do with Taffy Apple cider.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Tatty Apple by Jenny Nimmo from 1984?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/395898.Tatty_Apple

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

I read a book about a police detective in cleveland who gets turned into a vampire and solves crimes with his human partner. It's not Simon R Green, or it might be - but it's not his nightside series. Date it to approximately 2010-2015. Cannot for the life of me remember the title or author. Any help?

Not what you're looking for but in the vein is Tanya Huff's Blood Ties series
Female detective leaves the police force due to macular degeneration (is blind at night) works instead as a PI and gets help from a male vampire (helpless during day.) There was a very canadian series made a few years back from it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

Its not the Vampire Files, those were in Prohibition Chicago. It was modern day and he was dealing with his son being a vampire too while he was still human (he turns at the end)

It was contemporary and in paperback, had a lime green or yellow box on the cover and was a pretty lighthearted book, not grimdark. The finale was at a dam.

Only thing I could find kinda close was Nocturne by John Davis.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Late 80s or early 90s fantasy. I only remember snippets:

- exiled holy knight who returns home
- theres a thief kid who ends up being his squires kid
- theres a little mute girl who is actually a goddeas
- theres a haunted castle
- he has to go into a tomb to retrieve a spear
- theres a gollum ripoff character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

TommyGun85 posted:

Late 80s or early 90s fantasy. I only remember snippets:

- exiled holy knight who returns home
- theres a thief kid who ends up being his squires kid
- theres a little mute girl who is actually a goddeas
- theres a haunted castle
- he has to go into a tomb to retrieve a spear
- theres a gollum ripoff character

The Elenium, David Eddings

(has to be. Sparhawk - holy knight, thief kid - Talon hangs out with the squire whose name I can't recall, Flute the mute girl who turns out to be a goddess at the end of the second book, there probably was a haunted castle and a spear but the troll was the Gollum ripoff)

All of this is probably the Ruby Knight book specifically, the second book in the series, it was my first Eddings and I think most of this happens in it

e: oh there definitely was a bad castle in the second book, the one with the evil countess whose servant walled her up until she starved to death. And Talen is actually Kurik's kid. It's all coming back to me. I only reread this series a few years ago, shows how forgettable it is

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 10, 2020