Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Please tell me that spelling was on purpose?

I don’t think I’ve ever been more disappointed in a movie than I was at Alien: Covenant. It made Alien 4 look like The Godfather Part 2.

I even thought, it can’t be THAT bad. Critics are being too hard. Instead they were being generous.

Oven Can't has been a meme for a while, it may have been a photoshop or a bus loving up the poster on it's side, but it was a thing from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The worst thing about Prometheus is that Scott thinks he's a genius for coming up with "what if we met God and he hated us?" so he doesn't bother trying to come up with anything to say about that.

That's been a recurring theme in fiction from almost the dawn of story telling and the only take you got on it is "Maybe hubris is bad?" What a visionary.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wasn't that already half a dozen Star Trek episodes

TAS also did 'What if we met Satan and became friends'

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My iimm about Prometheus was that I saw it years after it came out and thought it was just okay. After all the arguments online about it being great or it being dumb prepared me for this polarizing thing and I expected to have a real opinion on it, but my takeaway was just it was okay

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Len posted:

My iimm about Prometheus was that I saw it years after it came out and thought it was just okay. After all the arguments online about it being great or it being dumb prepared me for this polarizing thing and I expected to have a real opinion on it, but my takeaway was just it was okay

Quite a bit part of the disappointment for me was going to see it opening night so hype might've been a big part of it.

Not apologising for Prometheus though, it's still dumb as hell. Of all the stupid characters and ridiculous story, possibly the dumbest part is it is meant to be an Alien prequel and it sets up the space jockey, the derelict and how it crashes yet the whole thing isn't even on LV-426! So, there is another planet(oid) where exactly the same thing happened in exactly the same way?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Oven Can't has been a meme for a while, it may have been a photoshop or a bus loving up the poster on it's side, but it was a thing from the beginning.

It was a three section poster on a bus with the first two sections reversed so it read "LIAEN OVEN CANT", yes. A similar mistake led to Hugh Jackman starring in popular movie THE WORINELVE.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Jedit posted:

It was a three section poster on a bus with the first two sections reversed so it read "LIAEN OVEN CANT", yes. A similar mistake led to Hugh Jackman starring in popular movie THE WORINELVE.

This is my favourite common advertising mistake, I do not understand how it happens as often as it does but the results are always great.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Years ago the Mazda dealership I was working for was selling some vans to the Cheap as Chips cleaning service. One of them was about ready to be picked up until someone had a good hard look at the decals that had been applied to the sides.

On one side it said "CHEAP AS CHEAP"

On the other side it said "CHIPS AS CHIPS"

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

small ghost posted:

This is my favourite common advertising mistake, I do not understand how it happens as often as it does but the results are always great.

Sometimes it's just bad placement

Edit: Not the funny pictures thread, sorry for continuing the derail.

To bring this back on track:
I watched The Mighty Ducks 2 last night, that was the worst called game of hockey in the history of the sport, those refs were terrible.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 12:59 on Jul 8, 2020

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

small ghost posted:

Double decker buses in London frequently have little metal studs attaching the boards to the sides of the bus, which has resulted in many unintentional face piercings.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Prometheus was more boring that bad to me. Covenant was actively, in your face, awful.

Maybe the Alien universe didn’t have enough depth for 6 movies, but 3 and 4 were at least an entertaining sort of bad. I still think 4 was good until the last 20 minutes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

The reality is that most extremely polarizing media is okay to decent.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

nexus6 posted:

Quite a bit part of the disappointment for me was going to see it opening night so hype might've been a big part of it.

Not apologising for Prometheus though, it's still dumb as hell. Of all the stupid characters and ridiculous story, possibly the dumbest part is it is meant to be an Alien prequel and it sets up the space jockey, the derelict and how it crashes yet the whole thing isn't even on LV-426! So, there is another planet(oid) where exactly the same thing happened in exactly the same way?

All we know about the LV-426 ship is that it crashed, and that at some point an Engineer was infected with black goo or face hugged. That's all the information we have. Across thousands of years and however many ships the Engineers have, that sort of thing is bound to happen once in a while.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Prometheus was more boring that bad to me. Covenant was actively, in your face, awful.

Maybe the Alien universe didn’t have enough depth for 6 movies, but 3 and 4 were at least an entertaining sort of bad. I still think 4 was good until the last 20 minutes.

Prometheus at least had the c-section scene, which is genuinely traumatic and anxiety inducing.

Rest of the film...less so.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

nexus6 posted:

I remember thinking the same thing walking out of the movie theater.

The answer is yes. Happens all the time, man. They're falling out of the skies like flies. They practically own South America. I mean, they taught the Incas everything they know.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Bloodcider posted:

The answer is yes. Happens all the time, man. They're falling out of the skies like flies. They practically own South America. I mean, they taught the Incas everything they know.

You gotta be loving kidding

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Prometheus at least had the c-section scene, which is genuinely traumatic and anxiety inducing.

Couldn't have been too bad, she was running and jumping around 20 seconds later.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Basebf555 posted:

All we know about the LV-426 ship is that it crashed, and that at some point an Engineer was infected with black goo or face hugged. That's all the information we have. Across thousands of years and however many ships the Engineers have, that sort of thing is bound to happen once in a while.

So either

a) Prometheus takes place thousands of years before Alien

or

b) the LV-426 crash happened thousands of years before the crew of the Nostromo found it, before Prometheus takes place, so Prometheus is less of a prequel but more of a movie in the same universe as Alien?

IIMM but I rewatched Alien not long ago and the dead space jockey is massive so whatever burst out of it must've been gigantic. Same with the facehugger I guess, since the one that gets Kane is way too small to get it.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
They're two different ships on two different planets. That's the joke.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I'm not sure why there's confusion. Different ships, different planets, who knows how many years apart. Seed ships flying the black goo bio-weapons all over the universe and a couple crashed. Rip in piss, on with the show

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The mystery of the space jockey held audiences captive for over 30 years and with Ridley Scott finally returning to the Alien universe, answers were promised. And one of those answers was “uhhh a big dude”

Oliver Madly
Aug 17, 2008
The movie Radioflash opens with the main character solving a VR escape room before an EMP wipes out all power on the west coast. Her abilities are never utilized during the movie and in the one instance where she could use them, she fails to act and is saved by another character.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I'm not sure why there's confusion. Different ships, different planets, who knows how many years apart. Seed ships flying the black goo bio-weapons all over the universe and a couple crashed. Rip in piss, on with the show

It's not confusing. It's just dumb and pointless.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Oliver Madly posted:

The movie Radioflash opens with the main character solving a VR escape room before an EMP wipes out all power on the west coast.

Pretty sure this is a Snake Plisskin movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

nexus6 posted:

So either

a) Prometheus takes place thousands of years before Alien

or

b) the LV-426 crash happened thousands of years before the crew of the Nostromo found it, before Prometheus takes place, so Prometheus is less of a prequel but more of a movie in the same universe as Alien?

IIMM but I rewatched Alien not long ago and the dead space jockey is massive so whatever burst out of it must've been gigantic. Same with the facehugger I guess, since the one that gets Kane is way too small to get it.

It's unclear exactly when the LV-426 crash happened but as far as we know the two crashes are unrelated. Prometheus implies that there's a whole fleet of these ships out there doing their work across thousands of years so the fact that two of them crashed isn't really hard to believe.

The bigger coincidence would be that humans end up crossing paths with two of the crashes, but that's not random either and the movies explain that.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Jul 9, 2020

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Not a movie but a TV show but i just watched Warrior Nun and what the actual gently caress was that ending?

Ok they free the "Angel" and it turns out he's actually a bad dude and Lilith isn't actually bad and all those twists and turns they cram in at the end and then they finally get to a powered up Warrior Nun with a glowy sword and the bad Angel confronting each other and the fight starts and...thats it...the series ends. No fight, no solution, just black screen in the middle of the scene.
I actually checked if there was another episode after that because i was sure that couldn't be the end. But nope, worst cliffhanger ever.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Kingdom also has a season end right before the thing that's been built up the whole season a zombie siege is about to kick off. They go another season and could have ended things in a tidy fashion, but the last half of the last episode is just set up for a third season, including introducing a new villain.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rod kimble raises fifty grand to give frank a new heart, but who raises the money to give rod a new skeleton?

thats what id like to know

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So I'm a little bit into Knives Out and it's pretty cool so far. Digging the cast and the whole Agatha Christie vibe

BUT (I've brought this IIMM up before) the gently caress is up with casting Daniel Craig as the laid back, southern, low country, smooth Louisiana private investigator because I hate HATE that accent and all I can think of is maybe 20 other actors that would have worked a lot better.

I like Daniel Craig well enough but he's so wrong for this role and his southern affectation is just brutal. Billy Bob Thornton springs to mind right away as a better choice. Or Tommy Lee Jones. A Wilfred Brimley type. Morgan Freeman. Maybe Lucas Black or even Jamie Foxx. Woody Harrelson would have been perfect.

I hate forced accents that strain credibility, break my suspension of disbelief or that don't land (Scarface comes to mind) and Craig is taking me right out of this movie with this performance so far, which always bothers me when it happens, and I'm worried it's going to bug me more here since he seems like he's gonna be a central character a half hour in with a film with such a great cast that, other than him, is kicking a lot of rear end.

gently caress. Just HIRE an actor that actually loving TALKS THAT WAY.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Jul 11, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's supposed to be over the top.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The accent is going to change for any and all sequels, too. Just a different one each time with zero explanation.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I cannot talk like that way and you'd be an idiot to hire me

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's supposed to be over the top.

OK. I suppose I can see that but why though? It doesn't add much of anything to the movie other than to take me out of it - at least for me. In fact, I find it irrationally distracting.

One might even say irritating in a movie moment sort of way.

Some of the performances are "over the top" like you said (Jamie Lee Curtis and Michael Shannon are fantastic), and I get it, but Craig's is the only one that doesn't work for me here and it just comes off like lovely/forced acting or just a miscast role.

I'm gonna go google it but I can't possibly be the only person who noticed this or felt this way. Half way through and it's a pretty great movie but I wish they'd have recasted Craig.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Daniel Craig should not be cast in comedic roles. It’s not his strength.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm gonna go google it but I can't possibly be the only person who noticed this or felt this way. Half way through and it's a pretty great movie but I wish they'd have recasted Craig.

You’re not alone. He was by far the worst part of the movie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The Circle, in addition to being a bland, boring movie with zero likable characters, never seems to decide on what message it's trying to send. Emma Watson gets her friend killed by embracing mass surveilance and using it to stalk people...so her solution is to fight even harder for the idea that there should be no privacy? And then at the end she actually smiles and says hello at the drones that are filming her kayaking? You know, the type of thing that got her friend killed? It seems to be saying "mass surveillance is good, except when it's not". Make up your mind.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

oldpainless posted:

More like oldcraigless

But of course, I agree. James Bond or gtfo.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

oldpainless posted:

More like oldhumourless.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I was baffled by the choice to cast Craig in that role but I thought it ended up working really well. Him having such a blatantly incorrect accent added a fun note of absurdity that you wouldn't get with plain old Billy Bob Thornton or whoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The Circle, in addition to being a bland, boring movie with zero likable characters, never seems to decide on what message it's trying to send. Emma Watson gets her friend killed by embracing mass surveilance and using it to stalk people...so her solution is to fight even harder for the idea that there should be no privacy? And then at the end she actually smiles and says hello at the drones that are filming her kayaking? You know, the type of thing that got her friend killed? It seems to be saying "mass surveillance is good, except when it's not". Make up your mind.

The only things I remember about that movie were John Boyega have like 2 minutes of screen time and Tom Hanks dropping the f-bomb at the end getting a bigger reaction than almost anything else that was actually part of the plot.

Oh, and Bill Paxton :smith: