Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Money is a tool to crush people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

IIW (international investors of the world): One Big Stock

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

90s Solo Cup posted:

An early draft of a Rick and Morty episode.

Morty: Rick, why is there a...Toilet Island? Did you do something?

Rick: Because *uurrp* because of Elon Musk, Morty.

Morty: The car guy? It's his island?

Rick: You...you don't understand, Tesla's stock price is greatly overvalued! The amount of short positions against it is more then 25% of it's market cap value!

Morty: What?

Rick: Because of this overvaluation this means the market is irrational

Morty:...He's wearing shorts?

Rick: and no longer has a bearing on reality!

Morty: Oh jeez

Rick: And as soon as these billionaire d-bags figure out that they basically make their own reality, it's only a matter of time before they develop portal technology! AND THAT'S HOW YOU GET TOILET ISLAND MORTY!!

Morty: But there's already

Rick: Do you want that?! Peter Thiel, Ghislaine Maxwell and Jeff Bezos setting up a libertarian oligarchy in their own private universe? It would be the end of all things Morty! THE END OF ALL THINGS!

Morty: You're drunk aren't you.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

neutral milf hotel posted:

one of favorite crypto stories, aside from Dread Pirate Roberts & Carl Mark Force, was how totally and completely etherium, ETH, a bitcoin competitor, poo poo the bed (multiple times). I'm typing this all from memory and my details might be off, but the gist is there.

more specifically it was the smart contract programming language that was terribly written and allowed for such awesome things like requiring access to a shared library that itself was a smart contract attached to the ETH blockchain. until one day some newbie was testing out how to delete contracts and accidentally gained access to, and then delete the special library contract from the blockchain. oops.

another one that I'll superficially mention is how someone managed to "hack" an early and popular smart contract named "The DAO." this stands for decentralized autonomous organization, which was a type of permanent, autonomous, smart contract capital fund that allowed people to "invest" ETH and then withdraw at some time later -- all without human intervention and without a single point of failure. it was an early example of how smart contracts could itself become a core part of democratizing self-investment or some bullshit.

the smart contract was built on a bad scripting language (like it was notoriously bad, and worth reading more into) but had a glaring flaw: you could recursively call withdrawals infinitely. it went something like this:

• let me take back a dollar of ETH that I invested
• but before you check my balance let me take back a dollar that I invested
• and so on

some guy managed to swipe a majority of the funds in The DAO to the tune of 3.6 million ETH. (I think this was worth $50M) he couldn't outright take the funds and run immediately because of some constraints that I won't get into, but because this contract is autonomous and permanent there wasn't a whole lot that others could do other than also try to swipe out the remaining funds through withdrawals and contract splits. and remember, this "hack" was legitimate because he was using the same contract language anyone else could use and using the same platform as everyone else

so now, how do you manage to fix such a hack that drained a significant portion of the investment funds that itself is autonomous, and was built atop a monetary system that is permanent, irreversible, immutable, consistent, and secure?

you hard fork the entire monetary system to a point back in time and revert back the "stolen" ETH.

Btw this happening is partly why the SEC ruled that blockchain tech offering ICOs count as securities, cuz so many ppl got screwed by this.

My job doesnt partly involve researching these catastrophes, nope

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

cumshitter posted:

bitcoin solves a problem that doesnt exist: how do you have human and business relationships without trust

trust is the only thing holding us back from being the ideal society: individual atoms that never form bonds and just swirl around in a jar aimlessly, bumping into eachother but never forming connections

Its why business school and really all high paying and costing schooling is really just an excuse for severely caustic social conditioning.

Imagine the last scene of Freaks but instead of one of us its a second year associate grinning thru clenched teeth about what a wonderful work life balance you're gonna be getting.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

BigDave posted:

Rick: Do you want that?! Peter Thiel, Ghislaine Maxwell and Jeff Bezos setting up a libertarian oligarchy in their own private universe? It would be the end of all things Morty! THE END OF ALL THINGS!
Pfft, as if Rick wouldn't just colonise this private universe to gently caress with them.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

cumshitter posted:

*kneels down next to you like a waiter taking your children's menu order*

*points to the sky*

see that? where the clouds are?

thats where stocks live. thats their home. thats where they want to be

the stocks are going home. wave goodbye to the stocks. goodbye stocks

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My favorite thing about the dao smart contract bullshit is that they explicitly stated the implementation of the code took contractual priority over any of the textual descriptions, so any bug exploits you did were legal by definition

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2016-06-17/blockchain-company-s-smart-contracts-were-dumb

quote:

The terms of The DAO Creation are set forth in the smart contract code existing on the Ethereum blockchain at 0xbb9bc244d798123fde783fcc1c72d3bb8c189413. Nothing in this explanation of terms or in any other document or communication may modify or add any additional obligations or guarantees beyond those set forth in The DAO’s code. Any and all explanatory terms or descriptions are merely offered for educational purposes and do not supercede or modify the express terms of The DAO’s code set forth on the blockchain.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Etherium was at one point in 2017 completely unusable as a digital cat petting game used its blockchain and effectively DDoS'd the whole thing for like two weeks.

Nothing will top that in my mind for Dunning-Krugerrand hilarity.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Shrecknet posted:

Etherium was at one point in 2017 completely unusable as a digital cat petting game used its blockchain and effectively DDoS'd the whole thing for like two weeks.

Nothing will top that in my mind for Dunning-Krugerrand hilarity.

some guy i worked with was going to make some sort of pirate bay on the etherium block chain and i kept asking him why and he'd just go: 'its on the block chain'. he spent like 20% of his pay check every week on eth. i dont think he ever managed to buy anything with it.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Xaris posted:

that argument against MMT is real but it only applies to basically poorer nations under the jackboot of global neoliberalism. mmt is a very easy to understand stepping stone for convincing somewhat mushybrain npr libs (and even chud-lites) about HoW WiLl We PaY FoR iT? and then into M-L even though it's not really an end-all nor even close to because it's ultimately still class-based capitalism, just one a little less terrible. sort of like keynesian economics which is terrible, but a little less terrible for the average person than austerity-driven neoliberalism

buyt yeah there's no internally or ideological consistency other than 'own da libs' + 'give more money to rich people' to america. people are a-ok having trump/jpow print 15 trillion to give to the rich because it owns da libs and makes rich people more moeny which trickles piss droplets onto their heads. and to be fair, people are probably not ok but they have the media manufacturing consent and screeching at them ensmoothening brains about how good it is to make rich people richer, or more often, just not mentioning it

in a sane, grounded economy its still not a good idea to circulate more money than industrial output but it doesn't matter that much in a global economy where goods are priced according to the monetary unit u can just brrr out

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
no one wants to work, especially lovely but societally necessary jobs, so you need to entice them with something and we picked money.

that’s literally all of economics

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

uncurable mlady posted:

money is fake, debt is real

Stereotype posted:

no one wants to work, especially lovely but societally necessary jobs, so you need to entice them with something and we picked money.

that’s literally all of economics

it’s these two

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i disagree with people not wanting to work

people love to work. it’s vitally important to who they are (for a lot to people. obviously some people cannot))

the issue is being exploited for that work

but as someone said above I have a dumb anarchist mind

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

euphronius posted:

people love to work. it’s vitally important to who they are (for a lot to people. obviously some people cannot))

Dumb anarchist >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "smart" imperialist

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

euphronius posted:

marx would agree tbh, so it's not just you. people like making things, or doing things, or whatever. people don't like being exploited or feeling undervalued.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

people do love to work, but it depends on what kind of work and for how long

when you add in the monetary element (work or starve), people associate work with basically being taken hostage by a workplace; people intuit that their job takes up too much of their time and energy and doesn’t give them enough in return but they lack the class consciousness to capitalize on those feelings

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you can even have people cleaning sewers

I have met engineers who love sewers and love going in them !!

ok some really bad jobs there may need to be a rotation or something. like old person butt wiping

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I call not wiping eledery asses.

Gimme a SCUGBA suit and I'll gently caress around in some sewers though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

euphronius posted:

ok some really bad jobs there may need to be a rotation or something. like old person butt wiping

Death panels would largely solve this problem.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

one of my coworkers at my last job’s wife was dying of cancer. he held a bunch of fundraisers. I never met the wife but during the holiday party in 2017 I went on a mild rant to one of my bosses about Bitcoin. found out that coworker had bought several bitcoin as an investment. He said I should talk to him and I made a couple mild comments like “hey man hedge your bets that poo poo’s the Wild West”

bitcoin crashed from its record high about a week later. his wife died that february.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BigDave posted:

Morty: You're drunk aren't you.

Didnt that show spend an ep fellating elon musk

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Giga Gaia posted:

some guy i worked with was going to make some sort of pirate bay on the etherium block chain and i kept asking him why and he'd just go: 'its on the block chain'. he spent like 20% of his pay check every week on eth. i dont think he ever managed to buy anything with it.

"But its on the blockchain" is like 50 percent of startup ideas rn

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

i was once looking at a proposal to add blockchain technology to corralling trucks for transport.

Literally it was Blockchain + Trucks ----> ? ----> PROFITS

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shageletic posted:

i was once looking at a proposal to add blockchain technology to corralling trucks for transport.

Literally it was Blockchain + Trucks ----> ? ----> PROFITS

it’s just rents

that’s all that’s left

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
So is the upsurge in cruise ship bookings being hampered by the fact that most other countries won't let our plague ships anchor at their ports?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
number go up gave me some small amoutn of free money. thanks nu,mber

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if u put more money into number, when it go up, you get more free money. hosed up....

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

It's not exploitation if there is no coercion. If someone wants to work and produces two loaves of bread, but doesn't realize that they produced two loaves of bread and is happy taking only one loaf, where is the crime?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dmitri-9 posted:

So is the upsurge in cruise ship bookings being hampered by the fact that most other countries won't let our plague ships anchor at their ports?

There are no cruises departing from the US at the moment, and there won't be for a while. Some are happening in the EU (Hurtigruten is cruising around Norway, Mein Schiff and Aida are launching cruises to nowhere soon and river cruises are happening as well). Cruises to nowhere are hard to do legally in the US because of the Jones act (that's the act that makes goods in Puerto Rico needlessly expensive).

Any reports of "upsurges in cruise bookings" I'd take with a huge grain of salt, because cruise bookings have to be extremely low right now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

human garbage bag posted:

It's not exploitation if there is no coercion. If someone wants to work and produces two loaves of bread, but doesn't realize that they produced two loaves of bread and is happy taking only one loaf, where is the crime?

the crime is negligence for your fellow man in allowing him to make that mistake and profiting off it

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oneiros posted:

the poo poo that went down after katrina hit the gulf was so thoroughly suppressed and memory holed it's incredible

Exactly. If poo poo actually goes down part of helping your community is going to involve having guns to make chuds and off duty police think twice about killing your neighbors. Robert Evans had a good interview with a guy that organized community defense to stop the chuds who were openly hunting black people in New Orleans.

However lefties aren't allowed to have these discussions because conservatives have poisoned the well. Obviously my gun means I'm a drooling idiot with action hero fantasy's.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Exactly. If poo poo actually goes down part of helping your community is going to involve having guns to make chuds and off duty police think twice about killing your neighbors. Robert Evans had a good interview with a guy that organized community defense to stop the chuds who were openly hunting black people in New Orleans.

However lefties aren't allowed to have these discussions because conservatives have poisoned the well. Obviously my gun means I'm a drooling idiot with action hero fantasy's.

Please gently caress your guns elsewhere.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fame Douglas posted:

Please gently caress your guns elsewhere.

Shut up idiot

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Shut up idiot

You're one of the worst posters on the forums, please stop posting. No one needs to read your garbage fake leftist takes.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

:allears:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*pounding the table* FLAME WAR FLAME WAR

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Fame Douglas posted:

You're one of the worst posters on the forums, please stop posting. No one needs to read your garbage fake leftist takes.

Even when he is needlessly aggressive, SKULL.GIF is not in the top 1000 worst posters in any thread on this site.

However, he is entirely correct here, shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Welp, guess it's time for another struggle session about guns.