Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

I like hamburgers

I like anime, and video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Stairmaster posted:

I like hamburgers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g79wV5JVrnc

E: Also Shaman King is being released digitally on Comixology

https://twitter.com/TheOASG/status/1281703103214039045?s=20

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 10, 2020

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Zeether posted:

All I know about Muv Luv is the dude who looks like Ryosuke from Initial D

edit: Oh my god the kanji for his name even has part of the kanji used for the Initial D title

iirc he's also a super driver

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

klapman posted:

iirc he's also a super driver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSYcYnOFBek

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ah, classroom crisis has a really adorable kiss scene :3:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

x

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/bbo_sy/status/1281564130768388097?s=19

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fruit of grisaia seems alright so far but lol the sex scenes can be extremely out of place.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

One day Im going to actually go through all the VNs Ive acquired through various Steam sales and gifts.

At the very least I need to get through FSN and Steins;Gate or Aurora will be sad. :(

e: Have a fun song thats been stuck in my head all day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWcAF-orlWg

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 11, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The first anime show I watch in probably... more than a year? Is eizouken.

I really like this. Feels like it was made for me. Funny and has heart and positive and not full of fan service

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So is Sailor Moon Crystal like a more faithful adaptation of the source material? It’s on Hulu too which made me remember that that was a thing, although it’s not like im gonna stop watching the original because that’s still pretty great.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's the intention, though iirc most people didn't like the first two seasons much.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's faithful but it's not very good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a more faithful adaptation to the point that it has the same weaknesses as the original manga without some of the more interesting changes that the old anime made. also the first couple seasons are uh, pretty ugly

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Toei was moving studios at the time and a lot of their shows suffered visually as a result. Happiness Charge Precure was another one that just had some real weak visuals in places cause of the move

Plus yeah it was a pretty by the book adaptation of the manga was also suffered. The third season adapting S had a bit more freedom so it was more visually interesting

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it's a more faithful adaptation to the point that it has the same weaknesses as the original manga without some of the more interesting changes that the old anime made. also the first couple seasons are uh, pretty ugly

I kinda suspected that would be the case after hearing how Tuxedo Mask was originally barely around but the anime has a scene where he tries dunking on Usagi and she asks him what kind of loser hangs out at an amusement park by themselves on the mini-train. I’ll probably just check it out myself out of curiosity eventually though.

Also maybe it’s my imagination but everyone constantly dunking on Usagi for being incompetent sort of has the same vibe as everyone dunking on Estelle from the Trails in the Sky series.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the 90s anime made tuxedo mask more of a character so they could have a scene where he trips on an empty can of juice

also tbf literally everyone gets made fun of in sailor moon. like all of the show's comedy is about people doing stupid poo poo and getting owned. there's a bit in sailor moon s where the main villain of the season accidentally slams his phone down too hard and breaks it so he has to pay a repair bill. it goes a bit harder on usagi at the beginning but by the end of the first season i don't think it's really that targeted

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

has the original even aged that badly? I think the only people who complain about it are people who are turbo allergic to anything remotely episodic

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some of the more self-contained episodes are bad and s1's early pacing isn't great. that's the worst thing i'd say about it though, and some of the better anime original eps are some of the best parts of the entire series, so

like the worst anime original eps i can remember are... the baby ep in r, and the two or three eps of sailor moon s where it gets weirdly cagey about being gay

which. those eps of s are a real loving sharp contrast from eps like the one where haruka beats up a bunch of bikers and usagi thinks about how hot she is.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 11, 2020

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
https://twitter.com/LeitungEvolved/status/1281336284884217856?s=20

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, some physical gags were just fantastic.

The full scene where this gif came from has like 3 or 4 individual moments that are fun just to watch, let alone experience in context.

It was sorta like that one scene of "Bart Sells His Soul" with the street sweeper that it's like 15 seconds of jokes one after the other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdz4bc2LGMM

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That gif is missing the best part

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Naoko Takeuchi was forced to accommodate the 90s anime in her manga (introducing new villains, couldnt do certain plot points) and also had no creative input on the anime (she really didnt like how pretty much everything in stars was handled, or how haruka was depicted). These are both completely valid complaints and I get why she'd want to make a 'new' anime for a new generation that is much closer to her vision for what is essentially her life's work.

However, the sailor moon manga kinda sucks while the 90s anime rules.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I was watching season 1 of Sailor Moon for a bit because the new dub happened, it was alright

One thing's for sure, there were some badass cars in that

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

Naoko Takeuchi was forced to accommodate the 90s anime in her manga (introducing new villains, couldnt do certain plot points) and also had no creative input on the anime (she really didnt like how pretty much everything in stars was handled, or how haruka was depicted). These are both completely valid complaints and I get why she'd want to make a 'new' anime for a new generation that is much closer to her vision for what is essentially her life's work.

Are there any other adaptations where the vast majority of fans prefer the anime over the original manga?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

So the manga author was basically forced to make changes in her comic around the anime that got more popular and that she had no input on? That’s a huge bummer regardless of the end result and honestly kinda hosed when the same industry has poo poo like One Piece that just chooses not to adapt side stories from the manga that eventually became/will assuredly become relevant. I don’t really see why her manga couldn’t have been it’s own thing if it meant so much to her :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Willo567 posted:

Are there any other adaptations where the vast majority of fans prefer the anime over the original manga?

k-on is an okay manga that was adapted into being one of the best anime ever made

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the dragon ball super manga isn't the original source but the anime is way better than the manga in all cases

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
maybe mp100 just for the sheer visual spectacle of the anime.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

Bunny Drop and, depending who you ask, Erased. I think Utena also started as a manga like a year before it became an anime but most people obv hold the anime in higher regard?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

utena is like a 2001 situation, the manga and anime were both planned at the same time but were pretty independent from each other once things got going

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/feezy_feez/status/1282095233107255296?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
last time i asked in here for something to watch i got recommended acca 13 which i really liked. Is there anything like it on crunchyroll or at least a good action series not based on a manga i've probably read?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

have you watched mob psycho 100 my good friend

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

So the manga author was basically forced to make changes in her comic around the anime that got more popular and that she had no input on? That’s a huge bummer regardless of the end result and honestly kinda hosed when the same industry has poo poo like One Piece that just chooses not to adapt side stories from the manga that eventually became/will assuredly become relevant. I don’t really see why her manga couldn’t have been it’s own thing if it meant so much to her :(
because sailor moon was a money printing machine mostly

shes never outright said it but she definitely seems to feel like it was mostly because she was a woman making stuff for girls, the male shonen authors who got anime aroudn that time seemed to have much more input

Willo567 posted:

one punch man kinda
k-on, new game
not a manga but people seem to think the 2003 kino anime is a lot better than the novels and the recent adaptation of them that was a little closer to them

Jose posted:

last time i asked in here for something to watch i got recommended acca 13 which i really liked. Is there anything like it on crunchyroll or at least a good action series not based on a manga i've probably read?
house of five leaves is based on a manga by the same author as acca's original manga, so theres plot similarities and a somewhat similar artstyle (though dead leaves is more stylized.) try that

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
crystal doesn't interest me but there's a ton of value to the sailor moon manga for its art, like it just constantly looks gorgeous. pluto is so much better there it's not even funny.

there's also great content on dynasty

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

what did morishima mean by this

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

I'm glad that nowadays we as a society can just admit this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked cardcaptor sakura more than sailor moon tbh.