Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
My pepe posting shitlord of a rep would call you a communist, a nazi, and probably also a jew for suggesting we do anything South Korea did.

I love my best boy: Brisk Cocaine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1281430040786489346

:jerkbag:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Comrayn posted:

Please run what they have done by your local representative and ask them what they call those government measures.

I, too, define political and economic ideologies according to what Texas Republicans say they are

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/1281566619546923009?s=20

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No poo poo

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

A friend of mine who works for NEISD (San Antonio) schools was on a conference call this morning where the superintendent said that Abbott has told school leadership that if they don't have in-person classes this fall, those schools will lose state funding. Straight up murder.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's pretty scathing.

Interesting that they praise the leadership of Lina Hidalgo in there, I remember a lot of handwringing about Ed Emmett losing to her in 2018. Emmett was seen as a supremely competent executive official who had navigated the county well through many disasters, and a lot of people thought he got unfairly unseated in the downballot blue wave created by Beto “Can’t Even Beat Ted Cruz “ O’Rourke which bounced every in-cycle GOP elected in Harris Co. Glad to see she's acquitting herself well.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

saintonan posted:

A friend of mine who works for NEISD (San Antonio) schools was on a conference call this morning where the superintendent said that Abbott has told school leadership that if they don't have in-person classes this fall, those schools will lose state funding. Straight up murder.

Didn't learn the lesson of following Trumps orders about masks till it was too late and now going to double down on his forced school openings policy. Putting the desire to not get put in a Trump twitter tirade over the needs and health of their constituents.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

saintonan posted:

I just learned this morning that the Texas Education Agency's state offices are still closed with no timeline for reopening, so there's another rich and flavorful layer to peel off of this onion of dumb.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Blotto_Otter posted:

I just learned this morning that the Texas Education Agency's state offices are still closed with no timeline for reopening, so there's another rich and flavorful layer to peel off of this onion of dumb.

I am also sure that tours of the gov mansion are also closed.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
lmao ok who made this: :crenshaw:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy poo poo

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/10/texas-starr-county-covid-19-model-greg-abbott

Guardian article about my grandfather's county here in the Valley.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

That's a lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

iunno when it happened but geoguessr started offering curated maps. i linked the texas one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What’s all the business going on behind the head

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Every morning there's a halo hangin' from the corner
Of my congressman's foreskin head

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1281695435762085889

No, of course I'm not scared at all

Legato
Jul 7, 2004

Un cave troll espectacular!
My last shred of optimism wants to cling to the hope that the changes we've implemented since late June will at least prevent us from accelerating hospitalizations.

That mid-June thing really opens my eyes, though - if you factor in how long it seems to take for someone to actually be admitted to a hospital after infection, that puts the root cause squarely around May 18th, when Abbott opened everything back up followed by the double-whammy of Memorial Day celebrations. I mean, I knew that was the cause, but having it be so obviously supported by the number of hospitalizations is...damning.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Remember the Oral Pun post from yesterday? Well it's definitely making the rounds here in his home district.

I think this was in response to me ridiculing the non-Doctor post, but I only have one in me a week. Explaining Ron Paul's relationship to modern medicine, let alone epidemiology, or, God forbid, facts that would get in the way of hawking prepped MREs is not in the cards.

Also, he's Transplant Doctor Ron Paul.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
This seems like a great idea for the times.

https://twitter.com/abc13houston/status/1281755136335974401?s=19

Moboe
Apr 13, 2014

I wouldn't have found this article about my hometown if you hadn't shared it, so thanks! Back in April we were at 7 cases for the longest time. Once May came along, it was a slow progression...and now we are over 1,000!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
God I coulda done with never again in my life being reminded of Ron Paul.

Weird how he's very different from your average GOP ghoul but constantly parrots their talking points for decades.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he's the bolshevik to reagan/bush's mensheviks

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
/\ lol

Hah, I wondered what this was. There are signs all around it in I-45. I'm not sure, but if feels like it's the centerpiece of a master planned community, which - if accurate - would be the most Galveston County thing ever.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/1281667806472351745?s=20

Just shoot me now. I can't take another 4 months of this.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1281674796707831809

There's no way there isn't another shutdown if he's setting up for blame your mayors/governors not me this hard

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
fuckin weaselly rear end in a top hat.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SirKibbles posted:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1281674796707831809

There's no way there isn't another shutdown if he's setting up for blame your mayors/governors not me this hard

Shame hes letting all those people die while he sets up the blame game, but it's not like anyone expects him to take decisive action to protect the people of Texas at this point.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
In case you were wondering about COVID testing times:

Me: 1 day (test on Mon 6/29, results 6/30)
Son: same day (test 7/5, results same day)
Wife: 10 days and counting (test 7/1, no results yet)

Absolutely insane thats it takes 10+ days to get results, especially when high risk (pregnant) and around known COVID+ people.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I assume y’all all got tested at the same place?

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Sab0921 posted:

In case you were wondering about COVID testing times:

Me: 1 day (test on Mon 6/29, results 6/30)
Son: same day (test 7/5, results same day)
Wife: 10 days and counting (test 7/1, no results yet)

Absolutely insane thats it takes 10+ days to get results, especially when high risk (pregnant) and around known COVID+ people.

My results came back in 2 days, thankfully negative.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

I assume y’all all got tested at the same place?

No - all 3 of us in different places - both my wife and I went to County testing sites (on different days and different sites - I went first because I was sick and she wasn't), my son got tested through Texas Children's Pediatrics.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
After the Dean signed a letter with all other law school deans in Texas that hosting the bar is too dangerous, Baylor Law has announced their graduation will now occur on August 1. It will be indoors with only students and faculty invited. I can’t believe they are hosting this.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/The_West_Trad/status/1280163289025011713

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I was watching a canadian band do a streaming show the other week and one of them was bearing a buccees t shirt.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Spacebump posted:

After the Dean signed a letter with all other law school deans in Texas that hosting the bar is too dangerous, Baylor Law has announced their graduation will now occur on August 1. It will be indoors with only students and faculty invited. I can’t believe they are hosting this.

Why are they doing it indoors!!! What is wrong with people

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Because it's on August 1st.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Badger of Basra posted:

Why are they doing it indoors!!! What is wrong with people

About a week ago a Professor leaked the current plan to me, it was to have it at their football stadium. No idea why they moved it indoors. Texas heat is bad, but drowning in lung fluid is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My old high school is hosting graduation at the district football stadium at the end of the month. They tried to get reliant stadium but it sounds like too many high schools want to do graduations there. I can’t help but think this still isn’t a good idea