Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m kind of curious if once Adventure: is over Toei will finally move on from milking the Adventure series and try something new with the franchise (or failing that, try a sequel to some other season like Tamers instead).

Hell, you could compromise and do a season set in the world of 02’s epilogue where nearly everyone has their own Digimon partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ConanThe3rd posted:

If I was a betting man I'd guess a soft reboot into Zero Two midway.

That's a dangerous bet considering Adventure is the one they milk for nostalgia constantly, to the point Tri basically entirely ignored 02, and Last Evolution brought the 02 children back likely due to fan backlash.

Larryb posted:

I’m kind of curious if once Adventure: is over Toei will finally move on from milking the Adventure series and try something new with the franchise (or failing that, try a sequel to some other season like Tamers instead).

Hell, you could compromise and do a season set in the world of 02’s epilogue where nearly everyone has their own Digimon partner.

We'll likely get a new series in three years or so that isn't just Adventure again with something that is Adventure again on the side because we can't stop exploiting Adventure.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They've stated that this is intended to be a year long anime.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

And deny Richard Epcar his encore? You fiend! :v:

Though seriously, his role has been largely superceded by the story already so, yeah, he could probably get the axe an' it wouldn't be a loss.

On the one hand, Etemon was lovely, pointless, useless villain who got upstaged by a toaster in his final episodes. On the other hand... Richard Epcar doing a hilarious Elvis impersonation for 14 straight episodes.

Choices.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Get KingEtemon up in this bitch and make him an endgame level villain.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Etemon was nice and hilarious the first time around, but I don't really see why Toei should be bringing him back for a brand new modern Adventure revival. A familiar Digimon show is also allowed to be its own thing.

I hope Leomon is back though!!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Etemon was nice and hilarious the first time around, but I don't really see why Toei should be bringing him back for a brand new modern Adventure revival. A familiar Digimon show is also allowed to be its own thing.

I hope Leomon is back though!!

Leomon will be back.

We need someone to die, after all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

Leomon will be back.

We need someone to die, after all.

But we already have Seraphimon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Seraphimon doesn't always die. He just eats poo poo.

anyway there's a Leomon in Kizuna

to prove it's a travesty, nothing bad happens to him

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
At some point, you have to wonder why Seraphimon even bothers with the armor when just about anyone of note can slap his tin plated rear end down with one shot anyway.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is really neat, we got a peek into early Xros Wars designs. They uhh...they sure were different from what we got, other than Shoutmon who was mostly the same.

https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1280340552345518080
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1280354913755807744

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 7, 2020

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Not a fan, but then again I’ve never really been a fan of most of the Xros Wars designs.
Looks like the original name of Xros Heart was Damudamu Rocks. By the way, the Owlmon here is オウルモン (ourumon) while the Digimon we call Owlmon is アウルモン (aurumon).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Turns out, it wasn't about balls bouncing at all.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1280371500630134784

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ah, that makes more sense. Dumdum Rocks is what I originally thought it was before reading the tweet

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Will this new card game be translated eventually?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I know Heracross has a simple design and when anthropomorphizing a beetle artists will probably hit the same notes, but man...that's Heracross.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So, Warcrimesmon?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kurui Reiten posted:

So, Warcrimesmon?

Evolves from MetalCrimesmon.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Funky Valentine posted:

MetalCrimesmon.

Kurui Reiten posted:

So, Warcrimesmon?

Ok, just let me get this straight, because I'm a total Diginewbie and remember barely anything from watching the og tv series when I was a kid: are those actual digimon names or are you just joking? :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

macabresca posted:

Ok, just let me get this straight, because I'm a total Diginewbie and remember barely anything from watching the og tv series when I was a kid: are those actual digimon names or are you just joking? :allears:

It loving should be, those would be great names

sadly no

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

If it's any consolation there is a digimon named "Gundramon"

A truly majestic creature.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Omnicrom posted:

If it's any consolation there is a digimon named "Gundramon"

A truly majestic creature.

It says something about me when my reaction to this thing is "it could probably use a cannon or two in its chest" while ignoring the knee guns.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

That just means you’re American.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

the shape of the chest plates just made me assume it has Breast Fire.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dis astranagant posted:

the shape of the chest plates just made me assume it has Breast Fire.

No, no. That's not the Digimon based on Mazinger. That's Dukemon.

Who also doesn't have Breast Fire, he's just visually based on Mazinger.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Mervamon is the one with breast fire

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Mervamon is the one with breast fire

Shame about her X form

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean, chest missiles has been a thing since at least Andromon so...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Shame about her X form

That's Minervamon. Mervamon is the big boobs Xros Wars one.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Solid episode this week. Glad Togemon was treated seriously instead of how she's usually depicted.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, new episode listings have dropped

Episode 6 - "The Targeted Kingdom"
Screenplay: Hiroshi Yamaguchi
Taichi and his group advance deeper into the forests. They meet a young girl named Mimi Tachikawa, who lives in the Digital World with Tanemon who treat her as their queen. They end up having to help her but...?!

Episode 7 - "That Man, Jou Kido"
Screenplay: Kenji Konuta
Taichi's group arrive at the coast to meet Jou Kido, a sixth grader from their school, and Gomamon. Jou won't accept Gomamon as his partner and also refuses to join Taichi's group for some reason. What is that reason?!

Episode 8 - "The Children's Siege of the Castle"
Screenplay: Toshiaki Satou

Episode 9 - "Perfect Levels Invade"
Screenplay: TBA

Episode 10 - "The Steel Super Evolution"
Screenplay: TBA

This has some fascinating implications. The character stuff I think is fairly easy to guess at but

This implies we're getting ultimate evolutions before Patamon and Gatomon even get involved in the plot. Which means either those two are going to be even more broken than they were in Adventure, going to be hilarious if Angemon as powerful as an Ultimate remains canon, or something weird is going to happen.

It could also be referring to Andromon, I suppose. Though episode 10 seems like it's leaning to Metal Greymon pretty heavily.

It does raise the question of what's going on with Devimon- in theory I guess you could assume Devimon was more powerful than any of the Ultimates short of the Angels in Adventure and they're going to do the same thing here, but I'm really not sure. This is interesting

CORRECT THREAD THIS TIME

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think we should jump to conclusions on power levels here. I'd rather speculate on what it means for the story to have them come around at that point.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

I don't think we should jump to conclusions on power levels here. I'd rather speculate on what it means for the story to have them come around at that point.

Well the thing is, those two things are kind of tied.

At least in the conversation of How Angemon would be relevant, or Devimon for that matter, when the kids are already unlocking ultimate/perfect levels. All things considered, the kids getting their ultimate/perfect levels sooner I'm actually okay with. It's faster than season 1, just refer to my last giant post for how much so, but it's about on par with other seasons that had to introduce another level after that as well.

So long as everyone is given room to breathe and be important like they currently are, Togemon FINALLY gets to be badass in 2020, I don't see an issue with it from a pacing point of view. It's just the Hope and Light elephants in the room that we're going to be constantly looking at

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The Steel Super Evolution will be an armor evolution.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You say that, but I could honestly see that happening.

Also episode 6: Mimi is just about the only person to come out of Tri looking good and she remains great here. I'm extremely happy with what facet of her character they decided to lead with. Shout-outs also to the animation budget, the show looks GOOD.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I would be down for this

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Well the thing is, those two things are kind of tied.

At least in the conversation of How Angemon would be relevant, or Devimon for that matter, when the kids are already unlocking ultimate/perfect levels. All things considered, the kids getting their ultimate/perfect levels sooner I'm actually okay with. It's faster than season 1, just refer to my last giant post for how much so, but it's about on par with other seasons that had to introduce another level after that as well.

So long as everyone is given room to breathe and be important like they currently are, Togemon FINALLY gets to be badass in 2020, I don't see an issue with it from a pacing point of view. It's just the Hope and Light elephants in the room that we're going to be constantly looking at

I’m just so tired of angel power level wankery. Maybe I’m just reluctant to discuss it.

That said I think it’s more likely that they just have Devimon evolve at some point.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

I’m just so tired of angel power level wankery. Maybe I’m just reluctant to discuss it.

That said I think it’s more likely that they just have Devimon evolve at some point.

I mean we know there's a hard limit on how powerful Patamon is going to be. Seraphimon is cursed.

Has he ever gotten his own evolution line? All of the Perfect Devimon-alikes don't really feel like a good fit for the character. Neo Devimon is a slave, Marine Devimon is a squid man, Myotismon has his whole own character

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah my guess is he'll do a power up like he did in the original, except here instead of just growing huge he'll evolve into NeoDevimon or something, and MetalGreymon will make it's debut to beat him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
NeoDevimon is fine for a power up. This anime doesn't really have to give a poo poo (And Digimon rarely does it's why it's such a weird and fun franchise) about what other instances of the character in other media are like.