Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

bloodstained's first boss because immeasurably easier once you realize you should let one of the squid enemies alive and use it to deflect the water stream attack from the boss

...it's the only way to defeat it in Nightmare mode

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Stretch goals are project killers and so many successful kickstarters fail to consider how much work will go into delivering on them. It’s one of the biggest red flags for me.

I think ropekid said the stretch goals for Pillars ended up with them reaching a point of "oh gently caress why did we agree to this" when they had to develop the full Watchers Keep mega dungeon.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Max Wilco posted:

Kickstarter was (or I guess is, since it's still around) a good concept on paper: provide direct funding for niche products or ideas that would normally be overlooked, and cut out the need for publishers. EA or Activision wouldn't greenlight an adventure game like Broken Age, since it doesn't have mass-market appeal. However, there's still a niche audience who wants to play games like that, and they'd be willing to pay money for it, so why not go the route of crowd funding?

In execution, though, things tend to fall apart, since being good at making games doesn't mean you'll be good at managing money. From an interview with Richard Garriott:

I don't think crowdfunding/Kickstarters are bad, but I think a lot of people have gotten burned from donating projects they had high hopes for, only to watch them stumble and/or crash. Of the few Kickstarters I remember backing, the only one that seemed to go without issue was Retronauts (though it took forever for that DVD to come, since it was originally promised for 2013, but I didn't get it until sometime last year, I think).

Backers are also at fault for this. I always keep remembering how people can't believe that it costs $300,000 to make a character in Skullgirls. When pretty much every other game developer would always comment how that is a steal and the developer must be working less than minimum wage to pull that off.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So Devolver Digital made a game where you explore a haunted closed expo to view all their game trailers and stuff rather than a direct.

It's free on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1283220/Devolverland_Expo/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

punk rebel ecks posted:

So Devolver Digital made a game where you explore a haunted closed expo to view all their game trailers and stuff rather than a direct.

It's free on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1283220/Devolverland_Expo/

I don't always love everything Devolver does but god drat I am glad they exist and are weird as gently caress but in a good way

Orv
May 4, 2011
I always find it a little weird that Devolver's schtick is "game marketing is dumb and you're dumb for falling for it" and then people praise them for their elaborate marketing but I'm not gonna remotely deny that they've more or less been killing it on games they publish.

E: Which is not like a dumb "hah you're all suckers" thing I just think it's an odd artefact of how games are consumed. I'd probably find it less weird if Devolver's E3 things were more my kinda humor.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 12, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

pentyne posted:

I think ropekid said the stretch goals for Pillars ended up with them reaching a point of "oh gently caress why did we agree to this" when they had to develop the full Watchers Keep mega dungeon.

Planned scope creep. :v:

Orv posted:

I always find it a little weird that Devolver's schtick is "game marketing is dumb and you're dumb for falling for it" and then people praise them for their elaborate marketing but I'm not gonna remotely deny that they've more or less been killing it on games they publish.

E: Which is not like a dumb "hah you're all suckers" thing I just think it's an odd artefact of how games are consumed. I'd probably find it less weird if Devolver's E3 things were more my kinda humor.

I haven't seen all that much of Devolver's marketing (at least in regards to the stage presentations they do), but I think why it resonates with people is because their approach is more informal and flippant. Instead of Public Relations Face #456 coming out and telling you about the New Dog Model™ in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 4.2 according to the book of Proper Marketing Techniques 101, Devolver just has fun and does crazy poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah pretty much.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Devolver 2017 was still the best, when people expected a proper conference and got...that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't understand, Steam

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I don't get that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Farmsmut

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
country girls make do

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

:nws: that filth!

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Friends of in her hole town

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Machine learning.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Friends of Mineral Town With Benefits

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey thanks for the reminder, it looks like I can be a lesbian in Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town which is important to my farming experience.

ps in Stardew I married either Maru or Leah

Orv
May 4, 2011
Lood

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

this is a really good freaking video game, y'all (ed: speaking of notable kickstarter failures :v:)

gently caress the manor tho :cry:

Whats thia game

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hat in Time

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Easily the most misused phrase in the English language.

“I could care less” would like a word

Orv
May 4, 2011
Irregardless, pentyne is a moron.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Errors like that are a diamond dozen, Professor Grammar. Relax.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hey, let's take it easy on each other. It's a doggy dog world out there.

We don't need to go looking for escape goats.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shoutout to the Forest for being absolutely loving terrifying and genuinely if I hadn't had a friend in co-op with me I would have had to turn off the game and go hyperventilate for a while. I did scream over voice chat like a little girl.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I tried to get into The Forest and it seemed really cool but then it turned into a logging sim

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ketchup vs catsup posted:

“I could care less” would like a word

That one makes sense, by even typing out "I could care less" you've shown you care enough to make that known. Therefore, you could actually care less anytime you actually type out "I could care less".

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Shoutout to the Forest for being absolutely loving terrifying and genuinely if I hadn't had a friend in co-op with me I would have had to turn off the game and go hyperventilate for a while. I did scream over voice chat like a little girl.

The very idea of feeling hunger also fills me with dread.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I could care less if you stopped bringing that poo poo up all the time; stop trying to make me care

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

FastestGunAlive posted:

The very idea of feeling hunger also fills me with dread.

Just eat some corpses you'll be fine

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Desperados 3 - Act 3 I just did the mission where you have to stop the train and OH BOY did I use whats-her-face to Lure so many men onto the train tracks so they'd get run over. 10/10 game

I've been so into any kind of tactical game this year - Fell Seal, Gears Tactics, Shadow Tactics and now this. I need more.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Desperados 3 - Act 3 I just did the mission where you have to stop the train and OH BOY did I use whats-her-face to Lure so many men onto the train tracks so they'd get run over. 10/10 game

I've been so into any kind of tactical game this year - Fell Seal, Gears Tactics, Shadow Tactics and now this. I need more.

I assume you’ve already played through the three commandos games from the late 90s/early 2000s?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUDkjUe_0o
Shadow Warrior 3 looking sick. Way too early to tell but with the various one-hit-kill stage hazards and low ttk, I'm hoping they're abandoning the overmuch RPG stuff.

Going back a bit but when I was hoping they weren’t going to try to be Borderlands again I wasn’t expecting the comedy option being Serious Sam 2.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh just wait until the time-based difficulty scaling system turns every second or third living thing on the island into a hulking boss-level monstrosity that can outrun you and would basically require an ICBM to actually kill (and everything that isn't that, into Dr. Manhattan).

The Forest is really fun and engrossing and creepy but I seriously question some of their design and balancing decisions.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Oh just wait until the time-based difficulty scaling system turns every second or third living thing on the island into a hulking boss-level monstrosity that can outrun you and would basically require an ICBM to actually kill (and everything that isn't that, into Dr. Manhattan).

The Forest is really fun and engrossing and creepy but I seriously question some of their design and balancing decisions.
I turned off enemies all together in The Forest using a cheat mod after spending multiple days building a camp with defenses and walls and traps and everything, and then suddenly the ground started rumbling and a mega-boss seemingly spawned directly in the middle of my camp and destroyed everything in a spray of logs in a matter of about 4 seconds. Honestly it kind of works better as a quasi walking simulator with building. The caves are still creepy as poo poo and there's some great environmental storytelling.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Volte posted:

I turned off enemies all together in The Forest using a cheat mod after spending multiple days building a camp with defenses and walls and traps and everything, and then suddenly the ground started rumbling and a mega-boss seemingly spawned directly in the middle of my camp and destroyed everything in a spray of logs in a matter of about 4 seconds. Honestly it kind of works better as a quasi walking simulator with building. The caves are still creepy as poo poo and there's some great environmental storytelling.

Is there a cheat to just turn off the difficulty scaling? I feel like the constant game of cat-and-mouse with the cannibals and trying to find inconspicuous corners to set up temporary shelters to be half of the appeal to me, I just don't want to be forced to move underground to have a gnat's chance in hell of surviving after everything mutates into hulked-out eldritch spawn.

E: There does appear to be an option to turn off building destruction, so there is that at least.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 12, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

nessin posted:

That one makes sense, by even typing out "I could care less" you've shown you care enough to make that known. Therefore, you could actually care less anytime you actually type out "I could care less".

No, he's right.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

All this could of been avoided if people read more as kids.

Though I doubt that would've stopped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Unreal_One posted:

All this could of been avoided if people read more as kids.

Though I doubt that would've stopped it.

The trade off is that then you don't know how to pronounce "epitome" or other uncommon words correctly and sound like a big doofus.