Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Mereen was also an Iraq War allegory that would have been timely if Dance/Feast had been one book and come out on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

Hey remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_9B1T4aMWk

Amazing how the show could go from that to...what we got.

Also I'm kinda tempted to do a rewatch of seasons 1-4 ( and maybe 5 for Hardhome) because I completely forgot how much of the War of Five Kings played out in S2, for some reason I kept thinking it was in S3 but maybe that's because of the various interpersonal conflicts and the Red Wedding.

Game of Thrones is one of those weird examples where the higher the show's budget soared the more the quality plunged. It just started to look and feel cheaper even though they were able to show off more and more impressive stuff.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Imagine how hosed up everything would be if they went with the original plan of seven seasons

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think Meereen has another point, which is that once you exclude the notion of fate, destiny and cultural identity out of the mix you can easily reach the conclusion that Dany's journey should have ended at Slaver's Bay, an area as large and rich as westeros with huge societal problems where the common population actually admires Dany and views her as a savior, we see that ruling is hard but that Dany is willing to engage with the nuances of day to day life, she holds court for hours everyday and surrounds herself with genuinely loyal followers, in Meereen there is actually a Varys who wants her to stay, in Westeros the Varyses of the world never wanted her.

So, of course it might have been long and bloated, but the point isn't just 'ruling is hard', in my opinion.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 11, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Plot twist: instead of Dany going to Westeros to become everyone’s queen, she stays in Meereen and all the Westerosi characters eventually just come to her.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Something tells me that Victarion is gonna make Dany come to westeros by capturing or killing one of the dragons.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That assumes another book.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

That assumes another book.

This thread’s existence assumes a new book.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've been posting in this thread for a decade. It exists on the technicality that a new book could exist.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Cardiac posted:

This thread’s existence assumes a new book.

This thread exists on a self sustaining diet of hatred and keyboard goop

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I've been posting in this thread for a decade. It exists on the technicality that a new book could exist.

Schrodingers winds of winter.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Game of Thrones is one of those weird examples where the higher the show's budget soared the more the quality plunged. It just started to look and feel cheaper even though they were able to show off more and more impressive stuff.

It's because that extra money almost always goes to the cast once they realize the shows a hit and can demand whatever they want. You think Dink is sitting in his trailer talking to his agent about how the show is getting another few mill per episode and thank God they can finally afford more CGI dire wolves?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
While the cast was becoming more expensive, they were also burning a lot of that cash on ever more elaborate spectacles like battle scenes or dragon rampages, which also seem to have eaten up a lot of D&D's time and attention instead of, say, making the scripts good.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I'm not sure they would have been much better. It's pretty obvious they have a completely... unique take on certain characters/plots. Jaime deciding that he "never really cared about the people" sticks out especially. I stumbled across /r/freefolk and it is possibly the only place that has greater hate for D&D (but not the absolute fucker).

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Did they not just have the standard TV thing where actor salaries double every season until the money's gone?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Jaime was the worst dump they took on a character. In the books he was slowly turning a corner after he loses his hand. Which they do and then just throw it all away in the last season cause they’re fuckin hacks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

crepeface posted:

I'm not sure they would have been much better. It's pretty obvious they have a completely... unique take on certain characters/plots. Jaime deciding that he "never really cared about the people" sticks out especially. I stumbled across /r/freefolk and it is possibly the only place that has greater hate for D&D (but not the absolute fucker).

I mentioned this in the immediate wake of GoT ending, but r/freefolk to this day still views GRRM as a wouldbe savior always on the verge of swooping in and "saving" the story with the "correct" version of the final act via the books. Only they're so blinded by their hatred for D&D that they fail to realize that GRRM 1) 's writing has severely diminished in quality since A Storm of Swords, 2) has no interest in finishing the series and hasn't for 20 years now, and 3) is going to give them roughly the same ending as D&D did so it's all moot at this point.

All GRRM did was con two amazingly gullible, upward-failing rubes into finishing his story for him and then taking the heat for his garbage ending while he hosed off to go build a railroad with his dump trucks of HBO money. That's how the story ends: GRRM's septuagenarian fat rear end riding around his backyard on a train going "choo choo!" into the sunset and then being outed as a sexmonster by Twitter

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I figure Jaime and Cersei play a much smaller role in the hypothetical books, Jaime probably dies very early in TWOW, his arc effectively complete, he already decided he's going to let Cersei get executed, what more finality does he even need?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

To kill her himself and get killed immediately afterwards, probably by somebody who saw him do it. Enter the world together, leave it together, and fulfill that one prophecy about her getting killed by her brother while he's at it cos hey why not

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

whowhatwhere posted:

While the cast was becoming more expensive, they were also burning a lot of that cash on ever more elaborate spectacles like battle scenes or dragon rampages, which also seem to have eaten up a lot of D&D's time and attention instead of, say, making the scripts good.

Did GoT even do battle scenes really? Like the battle of Kings Landing in season 2 was good, and one of the very few I can even remember. I guess there was Castle Black and then Battle of the Bastards? Those were indeed terrible.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hardhome was good

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

Jaime was the worst dump they took on a character. In the books he was slowly turning a corner after he loses his hand. Which they do and then just throw it all away in the last season cause they’re fuckin hacks.

I could see him doing a full 360 but if that was a note from GRRM then D&D certainly were not capable of understanding it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hobbesmaster posted:

I could see him doing a full 360 but if that was a note from GRRM then D&D certainly were not capable of understanding it.

Same. I could definitely see him turning back to Cersei in the end and them dying together. I imagine he probably ends up being the one to kill her in the end-- and then maybe himself!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Did GoT even do battle scenes really? Like the battle of Kings Landing in season 2 was good, and one of the very few I can even remember. I guess there was Castle Black and then Battle of the Bastards? Those were indeed terrible.

The Battle of the Blackwater
Hardhome
The Battle of the Bastards
The Siege of Meereen
The Field of Fire
The Battle of Winterfell
Dany Goes Nuts And Burns Down King’s Landing

Those are the big ones I remember.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I figure Jaime and Cersei play a much smaller role in the hypothetical books, Jaime probably dies very early in TWOW, his arc effectively complete, he already decided he's going to let Cersei get executed, what more finality does he even need?

I'm going to nerd post about this because Jaime is my favourite character, about midway through SoS he has a dream that is clearly prophetic in at least someways. He actually has a bunch of dreams throughout the series so the first time I read this I didn't even notice, but most of his dreams are about working out his inner trouble and conflict about who he is and who he wants to be or whatever, but he has one dream that seems particularly important because it's when he turns around his story and goes to Harrenhal to rescue Brienne, but also because he's literally using a weirwood stump as a pillow

quote:

The moss glimmered pale upon the stump where Jaime has rested his head. The moss covered it thickly he had noticed before, but the wood was white. It made him think of Winterfell, and Ned Stark's heart tree

The dream starts with him in casterly rock and he gets confronted in the dungeon by Cersei, Joffrey and Tywin but only Cersei is holding a torch. I think think this is what clearly establishes it as a prophetic dream as this seems like clear symbolism with only Cersei being alive at the end of the book, but at the time of the dream all the Lannisters are still alive

quote:

beside Lord Tywin stood his sister, pale and beautiful, a torch burning in her hand. Joffrey was there as well, the son they'd made together, and behind them a dozen more dark shapes with golden hair.
"Sister, why has Father brought us here?"
"Us? This is your place Brother."
Her torch was the only light in the cavern, the only light in the world.

They then dip out but first Tywin gives Jaime a sword (another example of foreshadowing of something that will happen very soon in the actual story)

quote:

"Give me a sword at least"
"I gave you a sword," Lord Tywin said.
It was at his feet. Jaime groped under the water until his hand closed upon the hilt. Nothing can me as long as I have a sword.As he raised the sword a finger of pale flame flickered at the point and crept up along the edge, stopping a hand's breath from the hilt. The fire took on the color of the steel itself so it burned with a silvery-blue light

He then meets Brienne and gives her a matching sword. I think the colour being silvery-blue means this is supposed to represent the sword Ice which has been melted down into two matching swords.

Jaime and Brienne then get confronted by what turns out to be the ghosts of the Kingsguard, which could be seen in the context of the dream as Jaime confronting his demons, but the way the Kingsguard members are described is very suspicious because it's also exactly how the Others are described by GRRM

quote:

Something was moving in the darkness, he could not quite make it out...
"A man on a horse. No, two. Two riders, side by side."
"Down here beneath the Rock?" It made no sense. Yet there came two riders on pale horses,men and mounts both armoured. The destriers emerged from the blackness at a slow walk. They make no sound, Jaime realized

and then

quote:

Brienne touched his arm. "There are more"
He saw them too. They were armoured all in snow, it seemed to him, and ribbons of mist swirled back from their shoulders

So my favourite fan theory is that Brienne and Jaime will have some role to play in the fight against the others, and that they'll use the matching Valyrian steel swords that were made from Ice in someway

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 12, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

There was that big fight where the Free Folk try to take the wall from the Watch. I remember that being pretty decent.

Seconding Hardhome was good.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

There was that big fight where the Free Folk try to take the wall from the Watch. I remember that being pretty decent.

That also gave us Dave Hill, the savior of the series.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Jaime 100% would've directly caused Cersei's death in the books rather than just rushing to die by her side like in the show. Maggie's prophecy came true in all other aspects and Tyrion's meant to be the "obvious" choice since he's noticeably younger than Cersei and Jamie, but Jamie's the second born of the twins.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It has been 9 years since ADWD.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Jaime 100% would've directly caused Cersei's death in the books rather than just rushing to die by her side like in the show. Maggie's prophecy came true in all other aspects and Tyrion's meant to be the "obvious" choice since he's noticeably younger than Cersei and Jamie, but Jamie's the second born of the twins.

Yeah Jamie being the cause of her death is almost on the level of R+L=J in terms of long-running theories that make too much sense.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
ok fine

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
j/k of course what i wrote is pretty stupid.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Invalid Validation posted:

Quoting Lindsay Ellis on this but yeah they took one of the best redemption arcs on fiction and threw it in the garbage for absolutely nothing.

I don't think Jaime will be quite as redeemed in the books but as long as he doesn't do a complete 180 by the end I can't see it being worse than what the show did.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I want a tell-all special about the production of season 8.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Jaime failing his redemption arc because he still loves Cersei is a thing I could see GRRM doing, and I very much doubt the show dudes were confident enough to try something like that on their own.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Jaime failing his redemption arc because he still loves Cersei is a thing I could see GRRM doing, and I very much doubt the show dudes were confident enough to try something like that on their own.

Yea this would actually own. But you have to commit to that arc way harder than D&D did. And having Jaime teleport across the continent to abandon said arc is also pretty galling.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hasselblad posted:

If Strong Belwas is NOT your favorite character, you are a simpleton.

:hmmyes:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Jamie probably did cause Cersei's death because it looked like there were sections of that room they may have been able to find temporary shelter from at least the deadliest parts of that collapse. But they just kinda gave up.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
idk I feel like the swamp lady prophecy is set up to make you think he completes the arc and does his kingslayer party trick again, but in the end it's actually a romantic murder/suicide as Dany is closing in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah, I could see him having Jaime relapse in the end, or before the end. But GRRM starts Jaime on his redemption arc by revealing that he gave his honor and killed his king to protect the citizens of King's Landing from death by wildfire. D&D forgot that and had Jaime blithely talk about how he "never cared for them, innocent or otherwise." I doubt GRRM would have Jaime say anything of the sort if he were ever going to write the book where it would happen.