Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

(Gemma Correll)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mister Mind posted:

(Gemma Correll)

They are bad at speech balloons.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
my fave cutbu

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Skwirl posted:

They are bad at speech balloons.

I suppose you prefer those 18th century ribbons.

That is TREASON, Johnny.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snackmar posted:

my fave cutbu

I linked this to a sales guy and he printed it out and taped it to the sales office WC door.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
England was Catholic during the black death, 2/10 this cartoon is terrible

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mister Mind posted:

I suppose you prefer those 18th century ribbons.

That is TREASON, Johnny.

If dialogue is spoken by the same character in the same panel there shouldn't be hard lines between each balloon.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Continuity RCP posted:

Judging by the dress, this also documents an era when they would not have used percentages.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:lmao:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Continuity RCP posted:

Yeah what the gently caress

How are they all incapable of checking Wikipedia for two minutes

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah what the gently caress

How are they all incapable of checking Wikipedia for two minutes

They died of the plague before Henry Citation could finish his life's work, the right shade of blue ink to underline dubious statements.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Garrand posted:

I'm not sure what's happening but here

https://youtu.be/JUQDzj6R3p4

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Weird Al is amazing

Yeah, amazing at racial slurs.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Excellent choice for the background.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

*ahem* Lies!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Now I'm just remembering being way too young to watch the Music Video for "Don't Come Around Here No More", and being mortified when Alice is suddenly a cake (though with a human head) being sliced and served to everyone.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

:golfclap:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
local goon flavor:

Spinz posted:

Early messing around with Note on my phone

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Ferrule posted:

Yeah, amazing at racial slurs.

If you were to binge a buncha old 80s and 90s media and made a drinking game out of how often the G-slur shows up, you probably wouldn't reach hazardous levels of alcohol consumption but you'd def get drunk

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

If you were to binge a buncha old 80s and 90s media and made a drinking game out of how often the G-slur shows up, you probably wouldn't reach hazardous levels of alcohol consumption but you'd def get drunk

what is the g-slur? for romani?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

RFC2324 posted:

what is the g-slur? for romani?

That's the one.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

That's the one.

I've basically never heard it much outside of this website, so it doesn't register

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly I don't think I (or many other folks) had the slightest idea that word was even the tiniest bit objectionable as recently as that song was released. Everyone should absolutely be willing to learn and move on from it, but I think it had such an absence of cultural knowledge in the US that there was zero ill intent for a lot of folks here.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly I don't think I (or many other folks) had the slightest idea that word was even the tiniest bit objectionable as recently as that song was released. Everyone should absolutely be willing to learn and move on from it, but I think it had such an absence of cultural knowledge in the US that there was zero ill intent for a lot of folks here.

this is pretty accurate

I was married to someone of romani descent for a while, and even then it just wasnt a thing for the most part because americans just aren't aware of them as an ethnic group.

RFC2324 has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Jul 12, 2020

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Most americans think romani people are a kind of old-world fairy tale creature, like one of the million billion kinds of fairies or something. I bet a lot of Americans would be surprised to find out they're real

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RFC2324 posted:

this is pretty accurate

I was married to someone of romani descent for a while, and even then it just wasnt a thing for the most part because americans just aren't aware of them as an ethnic group.

Over here artsy white ladies use it to tell everyone how artsy and worldly they are

Or as someone on these forums put it: "they dress like Stevie Nicks"

There wasn't one of these in 2019 but there was in 2017 and 2018 https://cantongypsymarket.weebly.com/ and it's just a craft show

quote:

Lets Be Gypsies Together
Our journey began as little gypsy twins with a dream..... We were always selling something, apples when we were 5 to our Grandfather, flowers to our neighbors, vintage clothing & jewelry when we were teenagers. Our collection of goods traveled around with us through the years. We set up at antique shows & vintage fairs learning as much as we could about all of the unique treasures we sold. Our dream one day was to open a boutique. Life got busy careers, marriages, kids so we took a break but the desire to have our own boutique never went away. We continued to collect items & discovered amazing passionate souls as we traveled never missing an arts district or flea market. We grew up with our mother & grandmother teaching us the importance of homemade goods & how beneficial it was to make something rather than buy it. As time passed we thought why not be gypsies again . We started selling all of our wares along with some of our own handcrafted goods. The talk of opening a boutique was in the works until we decided why not bring all of the gypsies, makers, artists, musicians, chefs, bakers & pop up shop owners together creating a market for everyone to share. We wanted to create a day that would inspire our community touching the mind, body and soul. And so the Gypsy Market began on a beautiful summer day in July. The story begins with us but it continues with all of you. Lets be gypsies together......
Thank you for being a part of our journey ~The Gypsy Twins~ Keri & Kelly

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I think in the US "gypsy" is thought of as referring to a lifestyle rather than a people - people think it's something you choose to become rather than a derogatory misnomer for the Rromani ethnic group. It certainly caught me by surprise when I learned as a teenager that the term referred to Rromani people, and I suspect a lot of people in the US who use the term casually aren't so much indifferent as ignorant. This is not to excuse their use of the term, just to explain it - I certainly think "free-spirit" white women should find another term to describe themselves.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also there's probably a whole lot of people who aren't aware that the slang word "gypped" is derogatory. Then again maybe they do, people also used to say "jewed" in pretty much the same context

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

I certainly think "free-spirit" white women should find another term to describe themselves.

Pheobies

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Phoebe was the best Friend, that just makes sense.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A Moose posted:

Most americans think romani people are a kind of old-world fairy tale creature, like one of the million billion kinds of fairies or something. I bet a lot of Americans would be surprised to find out they're real

of course they're real, they built the colosseum

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

90% of Americans had never heard the word Romani before that one episode of House

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Snackmar posted:

my fave cutbu

heeeeeeeeeere's GOATSE

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
You can still be openly horrible to romani here in the very progressive and stable UK. Like, nothing is too much. Even refugees get let hate. It's basically the same as it was decades ago.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

You can still be openly horrible to romani here in the very progressive and stable UK. Like, nothing is too much. Even refugees get let hate. It's basically the same as it was decades ago.

Yeah, it's impossible to underemphasize how anti-romany hate is present across the whole political spectrum. Even solidly left-leaning people still go on about thieving pikeys. Part of the current Tory government's manifesto was basically "oh and we are gonna ethnically cleanse travellers"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Been a joke for a while that Europeans will go on about how racist Americans are but go from zero to hitler in the blink of an eye when you bring up roma.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Been a joke for a while that Europeans will go on about how racist Americans are but go from zero to hitler in the blink of an eye when you bring up roma.

I work with a couple of Bulgarians who went to university in Scotland, generally very liberal and fair minded. But at the same time supported measures in Bulgaria for you to need a certain level of education to vote. When pointed out this is just to disenfranchise the Roma they were both just 'Good! They're all criminals who'll just vote to give themselves more benefits!'

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I think in the US "gypsy" is thought of as referring to a lifestyle rather than a people - people think it's something you choose to become rather than a derogatory misnomer for the Rromani ethnic group.

This happens in the UK. Gypsy and Pikey are commonly used against ethnically Irish/British travelling communities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost