Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

xerxus posted:

Lower Decks trailer was uploaded unlisted in Canada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoESUDUXp0g

https://streamable.com/ds72si

I think the ship looks better from different angles.

Is this some spin-off of Final Space? I mean the animation looks similar enough.

Final Space is really really good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It looks like it's trying very hard to be a Rick and Morty themed Star Truck, but honestly I'll give it the usual Three Episode Trial because "trying to be funny and tell the stories of the unsung crewmen" is a step up from the self-important and nonsensically plotted and fancervixy Grimdark Skull Trek of Disco/Picard.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

xerxus posted:

Huh, sometimes you can judge a book by its cover. Goddamn this looks loving awful.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

8one6 posted:

Am I dead inside or does this not look funny at all?

It looks really bad.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If the worst it does is tepid humor I will be happy to see that in my Star Trek instead of acid attacks, exploding women, robot Picard, cannibalism, torture, and the Federation doing war crimes.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I thought it looks good.

Pacing seems to be a lot faster than Trek shows, but it seems on par with animation like Final Space or Rick n Morty.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

fancervixy Grimdark Skull Trek

Owlbear Camus posted:

If the worst it does is tepid humor I will be happy to see that in my Star Trek instead of acid attacks, exploding women, robot Picard, cannibalism, torture, and the Federation doing war crimes.

lol

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like the set design.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Modern trek is bad, friend.

My theory is 9/11 broke a bunch of brains in writer's rooms when it comes to imagining a better future that's different from our gross, ugly present-- and they never healed. Look at what happened to Enterprise, it started out all Faith of the Heart and then the eps produced after 9/11 happened and it was Space American Space Marines responding to Space 9/11 by fighting the shadowy perfidious TaliSuliban.

The Racist Cartoon Man's ersatz Trek has a better finger on the pulse of what Star Trek is than the real deal.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 12, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

Modern trek is bad, friend.

My theory is 9/11 broke a bunch of brains in writer's rooms when it comes to imagining a better future that's different from our gross, ugly present-- and they never healed. Look at what happened to Enterprise, it started out all Faith of the Heart and then the eps produced after 9/11 happened and it was Space American Space Marines responding to Space 9/11 by fighting the shadowy perfidious TaliSuliban.

The Racist Cartoon Man's ersatz Trek has a better finger on the pulse of what Star Trek is than the real deal.

Oh I was just laughing at your worthless descriptor that is grimdark. Also I'm sure a bunch of the old trek episodes featured stuff you were just railing against but :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh I was just laughing at your worthless descriptor that is grimdark. Also I'm sure a bunch of the old trek episodes featured stuff you were just railing against but :v:

Yeah but when they did say, torture, it was a like guy in a greebled-up chair told by the director "there's really painful energy going through you, really sell it. Action!" Not gratuitous shots of optical poptitude.

I do remember as a kid that Conspiracy was a wild and out of character stand-out for fangorous violence. Just phasering that dude's torso apart on a Sunday night family space adventure show on network TV, NBD.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Oh god I cringed so hard I think I sprained something. I would almost rather re-watch both seasons of disco plus season 3, Picard, and (:shudder:) Nemesis than give this aggressively, offensively unfunny trash even one chance. Mercifully that's almost, because I long ago promised myself I'd never watch Nemesis again.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

xerxus posted:

https://imgur.com/a/pSF5Jyq

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 12, 2020

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

8one6 posted:

Nope, it absolutely doesn't look funny at all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think it looks alright, and I’m glad they’re using proper LCARS and proper TNG era sound effects and whatnot. I’ll happily give it a chance. Y’all are just dead inside. :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'll give it a shot, even though I'm not at all sold by the trailer. Comedy trailers are tough, where your jokes aren't in context and are probably cut apart and the viewer doesn't know the characters' personalities.

That being said, I was surprised at how dramatically ambitious it looked. Maybe I was just worried it would have a wacky Robot Chicken vibe or something, but I do see some promise in that it looks very story focused and emphasizes the relationships between the characters.

The humor as shown didn't come off great, but I think that based on that trailer the show's got a chance of being enjoyable, and I'm not willing to write off the comedy quite yet.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Not going to write it off based on a trailer, they're usually terrible regardless of the content quality.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

8one6 posted:

It's not funny. Also the entire concept of "these people are treated as lesser than because of their assignments" is pretty antithetical.

I hate this.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Wow, looks terrible.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I don't really know what people were expecting, it looks fine in my opinion, but I certainly won't be starting my CBS All Access subscription just to watch it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

feedmyleg posted:

I'll give it a shot, even though I'm not at all sold by the trailer. Comedy trailers are tough, where your jokes aren't in context and are probably cut apart and the viewer doesn't know the characters' personalities.

That being said, I was surprised at how dramatically ambitious it looked. Maybe I was just worried it would have a wacky Robot Chicken vibe or something, but I do see some promise in that it looks very story focused and emphasizes the relationships between the characters.

The humor as shown didn't come off great, but I think that based on that trailer the show's got a chance of being enjoyable, and I'm not willing to write off the comedy quite yet.

That's pretty much my reaction too. The look is fine: it's visibly TNG-ish and the ship does look better than I expected from the poster. The humor could still go either way; that's always hard to judge from a trailer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You know, I can't help to think that practically every show is made to look even worse by chopping up all the "best" bits and gluing them together. It always sells the tone wrong, overexposes short frenetic actions/gags, and contains none of the warm character moments that make a show lovable.

Trailers are in need of a thorough re-think. Something like this would be served better by a five-minute mini-episode.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, it might just be the eternal optimist in me, but I'm also willing to bet that this trailer was made to attract a specific crowd and it ain't Trek nerds.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, it might just be the eternal optimist in me, but I'm also willing to bet that this trailer was made to attract a specific crowd and it ain't Trek nerds.

I also realized you said pretty much the same thing as me in different words not a few posts before. So, here's to reading the thread! :cheers:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

8one6 posted:

Still looks better than picard and most of discovery of only because it looks episodic

Also probably funnier

We're there jokes in Picard or discovery?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, the scripts were a joke :v:

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
So that basically looks like Futurama, but way way shittier.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Oh god I cringed so hard I think I sprained something. I would almost rather re-watch both seasons of disco plus season 3, Picard, and (:shudder:) Nemesis than give this aggressively, offensively unfunny trash even one chance. Mercifully that's almost, because I long ago promised myself I'd never watch Nemesis again.

I would definitely watch Nemesis instead of this.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I smiled at "You almost phasered me!"/"Nah, it was set on stah..."

Trailers for animated comedies seem especially prone to short-selling them by cramming in the most OTT out-of-context gags. The first trailer I saw for Futurama (on Fox, which I caught when visiting LA before the show reached the UK) was shrill and awful and centred on basically a masturbation joke, and it was shown in every commercial break. Almost put me off the show before it started.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Look if we watched the Picard trashfire were all gonna watch this too

Stop kidding yourselves!!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I experienced a whole lifetime of Good Trek and then woke back up to the reality of All Access trek knowing how to play the flute.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It looks alright, I guess. It didn't make me laugh, but it looks like it will be more of a cute character show than a gag show.

I'd actually be more interested in it if it were live action.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It actually kind of looks like it could be The Orville with more emphasis on the comedy and better pacing. But with the embarrassment of being a branded cartoon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'd actually be more interested in it if it were live action.

Well...

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The Lower Decks trailer feels like Rick and Morty for 12 year olds. Everyone seems to act like they're in high school and can't wait to pop out a Dreamworks smirk. I'll give it a chance but that trailer is trash.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
It sucks and I hate it.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Payndz posted:

I smiled at "You almost phasered me!"/"Nah, it was set on stah..."

Trailers for animated comedies seem especially prone to short-selling them by cramming in the most OTT out-of-context gags. The first trailer I saw for Futurama (on Fox, which I caught when visiting LA before the show reached the UK) was shrill and awful and centred on basically a masturbation joke, and it was shown in every commercial break. Almost put me off the show before it started.

I actually can't find it, but I found a handful of them and none of them really sell the series. There's actually some of the best joeks in the show in some of these trailers but they're presented without context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW0GXPb8Erg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9mqjugWd38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9fmIoiQL-M

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s trippy to realize Futurama and Family Guy were airing when DS9 was still first run. I mentally put those shows in two distinct eras of television.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

HD DAD posted:

It’s trippy to realize Futurama and Family Guy were airing when DS9 was still first run. I mentally put those shows in two distinct eras of television.

Futurama and DS9 only overlapped by a month, so it's close.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

After Picard it’s obvious I will hate-watch anything Star Trek so bring it on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/WholesomeMeme/status/1282684061413187584