Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

quote:

[x] is a fun character I'm sure I'm gonna see a lot more of [them] and i'm thankful for that.

:allears:

as someone in ep6: you are in for the BEST ride and I hope you continue to enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Ytlaya posted:

- Try to focus more on learning about the characters and their circumstances and motivations rather than strictly the mechanics/logic (though that's also obviously useful to consider - it's just that it's basically impossible to solve in a way that makes sense if you only focus on the mechanics)

I'm not a huge fan of telling people this. I think figuring this part out on your own is part of the fun.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Ytlaya posted:

A couple things that I think are good to know for anyone playing Umineko for the first time:

- Don't even try to solve the epitaph unless you're fluent in Japanese (fortunately it's not even remotely necessary)

That's makes it sound like the translators just didn't localize the riddle. You need to be fluent in all of Japanese, English, and Chinese in any version :allears:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I always saw the epitaph as something more like an ARG for the community as a whole to solve (which they did) rather than something an individual reader is expected to work out.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I always saw the epitaph as something more like an ARG for the community as a whole to solve (which they did) rather than something an individual reader is expected to work out.

Oh that's really cool. And it makes sense given the themes and setup of Umineko.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jessica maybe the reason you don't have a boyfriend is that you keep pretending to have one, so all the men at school already think you're taken, just a thought.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

MegaZeroX posted:

I'm not a huge fan of telling people this. I think figuring this part out on your own is part of the fun.

I mean, it's something you should always do when reading anything; it's just that the mystery genre tends to be an exception that is frequently light on characterization., so people are less likely to read mysteries like they would other stories.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you were waiting on the Matsuribayashi voice/PS3 sprite patch, it's live.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Finished Higurashi 5, and drat, that one had some pretty gruesome parts. I'm pretty sure the narrative cut away before Keiichi actually tore out his throat in part 1, so Rika doing so as "Shion" watches is probably the most detailed explanation of gore in this series so far. "Shion" torturing Sakoto was pretty hosed up too. There are still other gruesome deaths to explain, notably including Rika's in part 3, so I guess I can "look forward to"/brace for that.

It was interesting to see Satoshi since the parallels between him and Keiichi had been mentioned so much. I didn't think he was really the most interesting character, but I guess he was mostly there for Shion to project onto. It might be a little blasphemous to say, but sometimes I still feel like this series is a bit too wordy--I love the length of it, but some of the inner dialogue can be pretty repetitive at times. The revelation that the neither the hag nor Mion are the evil masterminds behind everything was huge (even if I maybe should have thought more about that possibility since I already assumed Shion was the villain of part 2), so it should be interesting to find out who's really behind all this poo poo. Or it would have been, but:

I was going to write more, but I accidentally just spoiled something really big Takano being the primary villainwhen I was trying to look up a character name I never remember the photographer's name, so I'm pretty annoyed about that. It takes some of the fun out of speculating about things now, so I'll probably have less to say until I finish the series now.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Never ever google anything in a When They Cry VN if you don't want to be spoiled. Letting you know for future reference

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 12, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I feel pretty dumb. I knew I was playing with fire, but I still didn't expect to get burned quite that badly. It's not going to ruin the whole thing and her face on the art for part 8 was already a hint in that direction I guess, on top of her cartoonishly evil demeanor, but it's still disappointing . With Umineko and Ciconia I guess I'll write down a list of characters or something so that doesn't happen again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
FWIW I read the Higurashi VN well after watching the anime, so I obviously knew all of the twists ahead of time, and still came away from the VN not only enjoying it immensely but thinking all of the major twists still had more or less the same impact they were intended to have.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Umineko conveniently has a list of the characters and their familial relationships in-game!

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Sinteres posted:

I was going to write more, but I accidentally just spoiled something really big Takano being the primary villainwhen I was trying to look up a character name I never remember the photographer's name, so I'm pretty annoyed about that. It takes some of the fun out of speculating about things now, so I'll probably have less to say until I finish the series now.

Oof, that really sucks. Fortunately there are a lot more reasons to enjoy the VN and the story than that spoiler, so I hope it doesn't sour the experience too much for you.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah worth noting that the reason I love Higurashi isn't due to the mystery aspect of it. Chapter 6 and 7 are my favorites, so you are still in for a pretty good two chapters.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thanks all, I'm reassured by the responses that the spoiler shouldn't really be the end of the world in terms of enjoying the experience. One thing I'm hoping to see at some point in the last three installments which wouldn't be affected by that is a temporary return to the slice of life silliness. I think the first two (and the third to a lesser extent, though it ended sooner) really benefitted from the contrast. Obviously there's still been a progression of horror in every installment where things will start out more mundane for a while, but the brief glimpse of Shion imagining herself at the school at the end of 5 reminded me of what's been missing with the core group's interactions.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko ep2 spoilers
Beatirce actualy showing up to the party was unexpected and extremely welcome. She's the anti george anytime she's on screen my eyes are glued to it.

I ain't got much speculation so far. I'm pretty sure jessica killed Eva and Hidyoshi in the first route. She gave Natsuhi the charm as a way to convince herself the witch did it. There's also something with the mirror cracking, natsuhi's mirror and the duality of Shannon and Kanon. IDk what though.

Without love it can't be seen, I'm glad I was right and this did all turn out to be a romance, now I gotta find out who the couple is and why It's causing all this nonsense.

Also if you execute Kinzo in the TIPS for EP1 his portrait goes Grey instead of red and it doesn't mention the Furnace body at all, that really helps me in thinking that he's either dead at the start of this or in hiding.

Executing maria in tips also practically confirms she's the one writing them.

Also Rosa is a bad mom

I haven't really brought attention to it but the soundtrack is extremely good, beatrice's theme especially. I've heard it called great before but I usually grade all non Ace Combat Soundtracks on a huge curve, But this lad is a real curve buster. Outstanding work whomever made it.

Also the new sprites look nice, I use them most of the time, But there is something fun about how expressive the original sprites are. Even if the hands are objectively terrible and everyone is somehow the same size.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Also the new sprites look nice, I use them most of the time, But there is something fun about how expressive the original sprites are. Even if the hands are objectively terrible and everyone is somehow the same size.

Are you using the ps3 sprites mod? If not you should.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MegaZeroX posted:

Counterpoint, the original sprites are way more expressive and add more to the experience of reading the game

((((this is my opinion and if you think I'm wrong that's okay))))

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

I'm using whatever the Default steam version is, is there any benefit to the PS3 sprites? Otherwise I looked into it and it seems like a pain in the rear end to set up for a game where I spend most of it reading instead of watching the pictures

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just use the dang originals...fuuuu!!!!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just use the dang originals...fuuuu!!!!!

The original sprites highly imply that witches aren;t real but human pig hybrids are

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
People should use whatever sprites make their experience as pleasant as possible, whatever those may be. But also, god the Steam ones are hideous.

In terms of hassle, honestly setting up the PS3 sprites has never been easier. You run the installer, point to your Steam directory of the game, and let it download/set it all up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If my couch ever starts pulling the poo poo the furniture in Umineko does I'm taking an ax to it.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I prefer the original sprites to all the alternatives. They just have more charm. Even the PS3 ones look kind of generic and sanitized in comparison. The characters don't look like themselves.

the steam sprites are great... for a laugh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Counterpoint, the original sprites are way more expressive and add more to the experience of reading the game

IMO either the PS3 or the original sprites are acceptable options, but the default Steam sprites are not acceptable under any circumstances. Battler and Beatrice both look awful (in ways that just seriously conflict with their characters) and all the female characters have comically massive boobs.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ytlaya posted:

IMO either the PS3 or the original sprites are acceptable options, but the default Steam sprites are not acceptable under any circumstances. Battler and Beatrice both look awful (in ways that just seriously conflict with their characters) and all the female characters have comically massive boobs.

I didn't get far into Umineko, but I will always remember Rudolf's moobs for his original sprite.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wait wtf Major Umineko Spoilers What the gently caress do they mean Santa doesn't exist

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

man I really need some kind of VN that is heavy on the murder mystery and light on the systemic institutional child abuse and insanely zealous and nationalistic super PACs that the author insists are ~~not nearly as far-fetched as the reader assumes~~

Seriously I’m only like 90 minutes, maybe two hours into Higurashi ch8 and I’ve already just shut it down three times because it uh, assumes a much much MUCH more optimistic world than the one I think we live in right now, and the tonal dissonance is rough.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

People always say this but I can't for the life of me see it. I'm convinced this is just a bullshit cover people made up so they can justify their bad opinions.

edit: i kid mostly, but i really don't see the expressiveness thing

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 13, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the original sprites are good because they are fun
and the ps3 sprites are good because they have more erika variants which is very imporant for erika fans

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

People always say this but I can't for the life of me see it. I'm convinced this is just a bullshit cover people made up so they can justify their bad opinions.

:emptyquote:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The PS3 sprites biggest sin is theyre just boring. Theyre functional but generic with 0 personality at all. And the faces look stupid and don't accurately convey what the original sprites go for half the time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The PS3 sprites biggest sin is theyre just boring. Theyre functional but generic with 0 personality at all. And the faces look stupid and don't accurately convey what the original sprites go for half the time.

The expressions are almost 1:1 identical. Their faces look fine. Was there an early version of the PS3 pack that didn't have all the sprites or something? I'll stop after this because I don't want to keep harping on about this, but I really don't get it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if they are 1:1 identical... how the heck do you have a preference!!!111

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 13, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm using whatever the Default steam version is, is there any benefit to the PS3 sprites? Otherwise I looked into it and it seems like a pain in the rear end to set up for a game where I spend most of it reading instead of watching the pictures

The voice acting.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The expressions are almost 1:1 identical. Their faces look fine. Was there an early version of the PS3 pack that didn't have all the sprites or something? I'll stop after this because I don't want to keep harping on about this, but I really don't get it.
I think the original sprites do a really good job of transitioning between the major states, most explicitly in Beatrice's case. Each one feels pretty natural. In other versions it feels more like a mask that's been slapped on, I think mostly in Alchemist's sprites because they loving love that crescent moon mouth look for all of their "spooky" scenes and CGs and it takes me out of it every time.

Snooze Cruise posted:

the original sprites are good because they are fun
and the ps3 sprites are good because they have more erika variants which is very imporant for erika fans

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The voice acting.

As much as I want to hear Beatrice cackling, I skip text so fast it would be hugely wasted on me.

Why would anyone ever stuff a turkey with omurice?
EP2 Spoilers Umineko
I'm guessing Rosa's hatred of Maria's witch fascination, and her headache, plus seeming recognition of Beatrice, means she encountered the witch when she was younger and blocked it out.

"Their faces were crushed, so the identity of the corpses can't be confirmed" drat Beatrice I wasn't expecting to get called out so hard

Someone poisoned Jessica's inhaler.

Oh cool we have lightsabers now.

Nothing Perssonel kid

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 14, 2020

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The original art is so distractingly horrible. PS3 all the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mithaldu posted:

Do americans seriously consider Higurashi "all ages"?

Just digging up this quote from super, super early in the thread because I'm going through Higurashi right now and need to mention the french localization is rated PEGI 7, amusingly. I'm likely midway through episode 5 and although as someone who read Umineko back in the early days of the witch hunt I'm not surprised, I have some strong words about said rating and I can still fell the extremities of my fingers tingling (turns out the trick is PEGI only rates, or rated, the interactive parts ie the bonus minigames. To be fair there's also a non-PEGI warning that's both more enlightening and amusing since it's detailing how the team will not be held responsible for any axe attack, dismemberment or other horrible but relevant things that may happen to you as a result of reading or making your friends read the VN).

Anyway, I'm loving it. The french version is based on the original doujin release, sprites and all, so it's also really interesting to see how barebones the presentation started and grew in complexity. Also, relevant to the messages above, I love the original sprites, for both Higurashi and Umineko. The remade ones really lose a lot of the charm, not to mention the chunkiness, although I'll grant them pirate hats.

Chev fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 14, 2020