Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

What the gently caress is a water crossing doing on a road? Build a fucken bridge or maybe not build the road in the middle of a stream or gently caress I don't know anything else besides that.

Lol if you think rural US road departments are going to spend any more money than they have to for a crossing that gets maybe 30 cars a week when keeping the concrete fresh every few years will do just fine. Low water bridges and wet crossings are a super common thing in the south. They’re just part of life. I love em, though they’re pretty poo poo for fish passage, and I lobby for bridges wherever possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Here they're called Fords (not to be confused with fjords or the automobile) and they're pretty common in rural UK.

My dad used to have an anecdote about driving his TR3 through one with a friend in the 70s and getting stuck. The passenger saw water in the footwell and said, "I'll let it out" and obviously the entire river flowed in.

They walked to the pub to use the phone and got trashed.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Riding motorcycles in the rural US:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

1 every single time. only the strong survive

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
So, after a long while of getting a new job, moving, and settling into a new place I'm looking at motorcycles again. The dr650 or drz400 were highly suggested over the klr 650 I was looking at. I recall that someone had mentioned you could lower them without aftermarket hardware, is that the case ot would lowering links be better, as I'm a bit short in the leg.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Pine Cone Jones posted:

So, after a long while of getting a new job, moving, and settling into a new place I'm looking at motorcycles again. The dr650 or drz400 were highly suggested over the klr 650 I was looking at. I recall that someone had mentioned you could lower them without aftermarket hardware, is that the case ot would lowering links be better, as I'm a bit short in the leg.

The DR650 is going to be the lowest of those stock (low seat helps), and IIRC has a lowering link you can just flip over to lower the back. Forks can, of course, be dropped.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

The DR650 is going to be the lowest of those stock (low seat helps), and IIRC has a lowering link you can just flip over to lower the back. Forks can, of course, be dropped.
I think the rear shock just has 2-3 different sets of holes in the linkage somewhere, so it’s even easier than that. Aftermarket lowering links are pretty cheap too.
There’s also a manufacturer approved reorganization of the fork internals that lowers it about 2”. Mine is lowered now and at 5’10” in boots I can nearly flatfoot it. Or one flat, one on the ball of my foot.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

After doing a bit of reading, I'm uncertain if it'd be better to just get lowering links and a shortened kickstand or go through the trouble of messing with the suspension.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

If you haven't bought it yet, consider a shorter bike that doesn't need such adjustment?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I haven't purchased anything yet, had thought about getting a Himalayan too

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I haven't purchased anything yet, had thought about getting a Himalayan too

Do you dislike motorcycles that work properly?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Well I do drive a vw.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Pine Cone Jones posted:

After doing a bit of reading, I'm uncertain if it'd be better to just get lowering links and a shortened kickstand or go through the trouble of messing with the suspension.

Getting lowering links would be more work than using the factory lowering settings on the rear shocks, and that still only takes care of the rear. If you want the front lowered to maintain stance/rake/trail, you still have to dig into the fork one way or the other.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Well I do drive a vw.

Royal enfields are like a perfect two wheeled match for air cooled vw's, they are the same in every way.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Haha, I would imagine. In all honesty I'm going to look at some dr650's later in the week or so, neither is lowered and neither has the neutral sending unit fixed. Thankfully my husband said he'd take care of that and lowering the bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Haha, I would imagine. In all honesty I'm going to look at some dr650's later in the week or so, neither is lowered and neither has the neutral sending unit fixed. Thankfully my husband said he'd take care of that and lowering the bike.

If you’re into the idea of dual sports, don’t sweat seat height too much, pick one for rideability and ability to do what you want it to do. There are plenty of options out there to lower things, and cutting foam out of the seat plus the DR650s stock lowering options are all free, they just take some work. People will say all kinds of things about how flat footing a bike is an unnecessary concern, but it can really be critical for your comfort with a bike early on, and it can all be reset to stock heights later on when you’re comfortable riding it and handling it at low speed and stopped.

Do practice moving the bike around with only one foot on the ground, climbing on and off while it’s on the sidestand, and otherwise building muscle memory around the weight and CG though, it makes riding other bikes easier, and most dedicated dirt/dual sport bikes are taller than the DR.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The guy was going to sell me the DR said he'd booked the roadworthy check for monday and would let me know what happened, and has now gone completely silent and isn't answering his phone. Gonna give him another couple days and then resume looking elsewhere. gently caress's sake.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
If the seat height on a DR650 is too tall, I would definitely recommend a trials bike. I mean, it's basically the same thing but except the seat is in a sensible position. This is excellent advice.

Plate a montesa cota and take it on the highway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fully tucked, redlining top gear (fourth), searching for that breeze to push you over the 70km mark.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

One of the things that will be very helpful for you is getting used to kind of scooting over to one side or the other of the seat and then putting only one foot down. Fortunately, with a dr/drz it doesn't matter if you drop the bike when doing this. My bike's seat height is 38 inches. I absolutely cannot flat foot it as I am not 7' 2" but just sling yourself over to the side and put one leg down and voila!

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah, depending on your inseam it just takes a little time to adapt. I'm 5'7 with a 30" inseam and the 2020 ktm 690 (35ish inch seat height) has been perfectly comfortable.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not being able to put both feet down is mostly a thing only people who can't really ride get wound up about. As soon as they've spent a week riding basically anything it stops being a problem, usually when they unclench enough to work out that just one foot down is perfectly fine.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Only being able to get one foot down is a non-issue 99.999% of the time. That .001 percent is stopping on an uphill turn where the ground slopes away quickly.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Picked my DR up today.

They're about 9500 here new, I paid 7000 for a 2015 with <3000kms on it, new front and rear procycle springs (fattiest mcfatman version apparently - dude was bigger than me), extended mirrors, steel bash plate, luggage rack, 20l acerbis tank and brand new shinko 712s, most of which I wanted to do anyway. Also bar risers which I'm not sure about, they kinda push the bars back towards me and it's not super comfortable.

There's not a mark on it apart from a bar end scrape where he leaned it against the garage wall.

Oh and I got it in the van, mirrors needed to come off.

It's got the stock exhaust on it, but came with an "MC performance" slip on. I don't know anything about them but I'll have a look round the internet tonight because it was dark and pissing down rain by the time I got home.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nice get! That is really clean

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Nice! Bit of a steal with the springs too. Enjoy destroying that bush

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Having poo poo luck with bikes getting sold before I can look at them, there are a number above 4.5k usd that have stayed on the market, but I'd rather not spend that much yet.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 12, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Picked my DR up today.

They're about 9500 here new, I paid 7000 for a 2015 with <3000kms on it, new front and rear procycle springs (fattiest mcfatman version apparently - dude was bigger than me), extended mirrors, steel bash plate, luggage rack, 20l acerbis tank and brand new shinko 712s, most of which I wanted to do anyway. Also bar risers which I'm not sure about, they kinda push the bars back towards me and it's not super comfortable.

There's not a mark on it apart from a bar end scrape where he leaned it against the garage wall.

Oh and I got it in the van, mirrors needed to come off.

It's got the stock exhaust on it, but came with an "MC performance" slip on. I don't know anything about them but I'll have a look round the internet tonight because it was dark and pissing down rain by the time I got home.

Dang dude that is exactly the bike you shop for when you’re in the market for a DR.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Checked the whole bike over, found some loose nuts and bolts and fixed them up, chain was waaaay too loose so sorted that out and cleaned and lubed it while I was there, then I went for a 15 minute ride and got back an hour later.

Took it on a mixture of highway, damp sand, and gravel road. Seemed great on the gravel despite the highway tires, like it barely felt different from the road. Sand was a problem but I have no idea what I'm doing on sand anyway, so I'm sure I'll get there. Gonna ride these tires off it before I think about changing them. Slow speed circles and figures 8s are somehow easier on this bike - despite feeling way less stable it just goes round where I point it.

Within the first 5 minutes I hosed up shifting to second, dumped the clutch with the throttle on, and popped the front wheel a little bit off the ground, so there's that to watch out for, but also I think I could replicate it if I wanted.

Maybe I didn't have the cap on properly but the fuel tank had the tiniest bit of fuel on the outside of it after the ride. The breather hose thing popped off at the start but I don' t think that was it (are there tank caps that don't have a weird long tube sticking out of them, or is that just how there things are?) Also gonna have to do something about the bars. They're fine I guess but the risers push them towards me and make me sit in a weird posture, and I think they'd be way too low without those. Pegs are real high too but I saw a lowering kit for 40 bucks so I'll try that out. For whatever reason the wind blast is way worse than on the intruder, don't know if that'll be a problem on longer trips - but like the seat (yeah, not comfortable) I'll ride it in different conditions for a bit and see how I feel in a month or two.

Weather and adult responsibilities permitting, I'm gonna do a couple hundred km tomorrow.

TL;DR gently caress yeah this thing rules.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
wrt loose chain, did you check it at the tightest place in the suspension travel? Would be bad to snap it while doing sick jumps or whatever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mirconium posted:

wrt loose chain, did you check it at the tightest place in the suspension travel? Would be bad to snap it while doing sick jumps or whatever.

Love to know how you think this would be achieved.

The chain slack on any bike is enough to account for suspension travel, in road bikes the tension difference from lowest to highest is very small, on dirty bikes they just have a looser spec.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, I checked it with the bike on the side stand, which is what it says to do in the manual and what I did on the other bike.

I did have a question about the chain though. The manual says to use an endless chain and that changing it requires removing the swingarm. Can I use a master link chain, or am I really gonna have to pull the whole poo poo apart back there?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah nah normal master link chain is done, that's just factory zaniness you can ignore.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Even if you use an endless chain, you cut the old one off with an angle grinder and install the new one with a master link tool. Taking the swing arm off is like a worst case scenario.

Both the angle grinder and the master link tool can be had for cheap at harbor freight and if chain changes are the only time you use the angle grinder it will last forever.

So there is that option, and also, yes you can just run a master link after you take a hacksaw to your old chain if that’s more your speed

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Yeah, I checked it with the bike on the side stand, which is what it says to do in the manual

I have a question about this: is there a reason to not use a rear stand for making chain adjustments if you have one? I know the owner manual says have the bike on the side stand, but I am assuming that is because your bike doesn’t come with a rear stand. I found it a lot easier to make adjustments on a rear stand, but I suppose I should double check I’m not doing something wrong.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the chain measurements in the manual likely account for the travel of the suspension absorbed by the weight of the bike itself on the sidestand is why

but really as long as you're not running it hilariously tight / loose, you'll be fine

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Even if you use an endless chain, you cut the old one off with an angle grinder and install the new one with a master link tool. Taking the swing arm off is like a worst case scenario.

Both the angle grinder and the master link tool can be had for cheap at harbor freight and if chain changes are the only time you use the angle grinder it will last forever.

So there is that option, and also, yes you can just run a master link after you take a hacksaw to your old chain if that’s more your speed

You need youre clothes youre boots youre meres youre angle grinder and youre motorcycle

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You're confused here, you can't buy an endless chain anywhere afaik. A rivet type is still a master link, endless means it literally has no master link so if you somehow got one of those you really would need to take the swingarm out to replace it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, I forgot those exist because I never buy them.

Don’t buy those unless tire ready to take your swingarm off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phew, I’ve been practicing taking corners at higher speed — as in, turn right at this corner, not long twisty road cornering — and it’s been working well up until today.

I’ve been slowly taking corners a little faster and leaning the bike more, but today for some reason I just took a left onto a street way too early, fast, and not nearly leaned over enough which equated to a super wide turn. I cut across the opposing lane on my way in. I mean it was a quiet street and there was no one coming but if there had been a car oncoming that would have been a bad situation.

Kind of sapped my momentum for the rest of the day and I found myself back at square one, scared to take corners at anything higher than putt-putt speed. I ended up riding around a little more but found I was really hesitant so I headed home rather than get more rattled and make another dumb mistake.

My goal for this week, if the weather cooperates, is going to be taking the 250 to a parking lot and just doing some more turn drills until I’m tired of them, or the bike is too scraped up to go on.