Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LashLightning posted:

Any table that doesn't permit a person in a wheelchair to sit at it is Evil.

Gnomes would just build a better wheelchair that's able to sit at any table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

Some dude on reddit posted:

During V's time as a lizard (#178), they lamented that Hold Portal was one of the only few spells they are able to cast while affected by a Baleful Polymorph. They never did end up using it while polymorphed. It was a throwaway joke about useless D&D spells at the time, but given the plot's focus on the Gates, could it also be the most awesomely foreshadowed, thousand-page, Chekov's gun OF ALL TIME?

Interesting theory! Will this come into play?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

Interesting theory! Will this come into play?

Never listen to some dude on reddit.

That does sound like something Burlew would do, though. And then Elan would say "Now who's 'a bottomless well of self-reference', huh?"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Four White Mages? It'll never work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Oots is just Burlew trying to beat Clevinger's setup-payoff record.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is Order of the Stick gonna end with Roy finding the Armor of Invincibility?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is Order of the Stick gonna end with Roy finding the Armor of Invincibility?

Xykon is going to drop him from high up for a second time, but now Roy's going to block the ground.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Fiends are going to spirit Vaarsuvius away at a clutch moment, and V will proceed to foil their schemes by still being able to cast Hold Portal.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Xykon and Redcloak will finish the ritual and TDO will try whisk the gate away, but it won't move due to Hold Portal.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LashLightning posted:

Any table that doesn't permit a person in a wheelchair to sit at it is Evil.

Lawful Good: Even height, accessible and functional for all

Neutral Good: Wobbles a bit, accessible and functional for all

Chaotic Good: Uneven and wobbly, accessible and functional for all

Lawful Neutral: Sits evenly, requires some adjustments to be made usable

True Neutral: Awkward and uncomfortable for everyone

Chaotic Neutral: piece of wood situated on a dog's back

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

I'm calling it now: After a whole bunch of epic shenanigans going down with Redcloak and Xykon and tMitD, etc., all will discover that the Snarl has been beaten off-screen by those self-same 4 white mages.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TheAceOfLungs posted:

I'm calling it now: After a whole bunch of epic shenanigans going down with Redcloak and Xykon and tMitD, etc., all will discover that the Snarl has been beaten off-screen by those self-same 4 white mages.

Its sad we I don't think ever saw a Webcomic version of a shared universe appear where crossovers like this could happen.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Raenir Salazar posted:

Its sad we I don't think ever saw a Webcomic version of a shared universe appear where crossovers like this could happen.

Think about every webcomic crossover you've ever seen and then re-evaluate this position

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

That'd require webcomic creators to both plan out their stories far in advance and keep up a regular schedule without plotline overruns. It'd never happen.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Crossovers between webcomics used to be a lot more common. Most of the time it would be some annoying thing where half the story happens on a comic you don't read, and when the characters are in the comic that they're not native to, they get written poorly in an unsatisfying way. It even tends to weaken the long-term storylines from the intersection with people who pretty blatantly have no stakes in it.

Everything that makes superhero crossovers awful, except the webcomic writers don't feel somehow obligated to wipe the entire plot and reboot everything with a new creative team afterwards.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SlothfulCobra posted:

Crossovers between webcomics used to be a lot more common. Most of the time it would be some annoying thing where half the story happens on a comic you don't read, and when the characters are in the comic that they're not native to, they get written poorly in an unsatisfying way. It even tends to weaken the long-term storylines from the intersection with people who pretty blatantly have no stakes in it.

Everything that makes superhero crossovers awful, except the webcomic writers don't feel somehow obligated to wipe the entire plot and reboot everything with a new creative team afterwards.

Yeah, or they'd have other webcomic writers as guest writers, too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Meanwhile in the Dimension of Pain....

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ultrafilter posted:

I sometimes find this message popping up in my brain. Like "I can do it! I can do it nine times!"

Also I think Schlock Mercenary ended up with a long-term arc with a character from Nukees?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ultrafilter posted:

don't you try to bring politics chat in here :downsrim:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Due to crossovers I found RPGWorld, 8 bit theatre, maybe Oots and many others, so at least there is see benefit.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Due to crossovers I found RPGWorld, 8 bit theatre, maybe Oots and many others, so at least there is see benefit.

Guest pages are still a common thing that help you to find other comics. They just tend to stick to not being canon.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Remember the Crossover Wars? The idea was fun, the participants were terrible, the result was stupid.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Does the It's Walky universe count as a crossover/shared universe?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Donkringel posted:

Due to crossovers I found RPGWorld, 8 bit theatre...

Oh man, I'm suddenly staggered by a wall of nostalgia and terrified to check if those sites even exist anymore. Like, I think RPG World ended in 2005.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nilbop posted:

Oh man, I'm suddenly staggered by a wall of nostalgia and terrified to check if those sites even exist anymore. Like, I think RPG World ended in 2005.

8-Bit Theater ended in 2010, the site still exists and it holds up surprisingly well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

nimby posted:

That'd require webcomic creators to both plan out their stories far in advance and keep up a regular schedule without plotline overruns. It'd never happen.
It did happen, and it happened well... exactly once.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 12, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Axe Cops Are Bastards

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Axe Cops Are Bastards
Axe Cop was created by a six year old who didn't exactly understand the complexities of police brutality. He gets a pass.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nilbop posted:

The author actually came back like a decade later to officially end the comic in a handful of panels.

e: Looks like he has a successful show on cartoon network. Good for him!

e2: Apparently an episode of the show is an official finale for the comic.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 12, 2020

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The conclusion to RPG World was covered in an episode of OK KO, in which the main character meets Hero, who has become obsessed with grinding levels.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

PMush Perfect posted:

It did happen, and it happened well... exactly once.

Jesus Christ, Axe Cop. There's one from deep in the memory bin.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Was Axe Cop done by a goon? I remember Dr McNinja was a poster here, but I don't think they were active when I joined.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Was Axe Cop done by a goon? I remember Dr McNinja was a poster here, but I don't think they were active when I joined.
Axe Cop was done by a child, but their parent might've been a goon? Not sure.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

RPG World crossed over with Adventurers, and I don't think the crossover was any good, but it introduced me to Adventurers, which was pretty decent once you got past the extremely rough art.

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Does the It's Walky universe count as a crossover/shared universe?

I don't think any of Willis's comics have ran concurrently? I guess there was a little while when Shortpacked was going while Dumbing of Age had started running, but those are explicitly separate continuities.

John Allison has actually managed a fair amount of concurrently running comics in the same world if you want to see one of those.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

Axe Cop was done by a child, but their parent might've been a goon? Not sure.

The artist was the child’s older brother. In any case, I don’t believe he posted here

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Also I think Schlock Mercenary ended up with a long-term arc with a character from Nukees?

Schlock Mercenary used the cartoonist of Nukees as a character. A subtle difference, since the protagonist of Nukees was originally based on a self-insert.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Parahexavoctal posted:

Schlock Mercenary used the cartoonist of Nukees as a character. A subtle difference, since the protagonist of Nukees was originally based on a self-insert.

My bad, it's been ages since I've read either of them.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Axe Cop brother might have posted here, but the animated adaptation aired alongside Golan the Insatiable on FXX, which was adapted from the front page here.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

RPG World crossed over with Adventurers, and I don't think the crossover was any good, but it introduced me to Adventurers, which was pretty decent once you got past the extremely rough art.

That was the one that introduced me to RPGWorld! I found Adventurers first.

Bongo Bill posted:

The conclusion to RPG World was covered in an episode of OK KO, in which the main character meets Hero, who has become obsessed with grinding levels.

Finding that episode was literally one of the most liberating feelings I ever had with webcomics. RPGWorld was the first time a webcomic that I cared about hiatus-killing itself; I hadn't realized it happened to a good number of them at that point. I was really happy to see that he was able to get it out and it was nice to see characters that I had cared about so much get a nice send-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the best web comic crossover is gamer Dilbert and hank Hill