Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
'you're no jonny lee miller' is about as damning a statement as I could make about an actor but here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

this movie has got everything

lightning 9/11

https://i.imgur.com/Akoxqg9.mp4

here is the hack the planet clip for the doubters

https://i.imgur.com/TipnXhy.mp4

here they are giving whales cancer with powerful x rays

https://i.imgur.com/8P3bLqJ.mp4

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

holy poo poo, this movie is 2 hours and 15 minutes long, gently caress, i am exactly one hour in and they just now started digging into the crust

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

that poor guy with the nose so ridiculous it looks prosthetic good on him for managing to get cast literally anywhere

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
it's a legendary bad movie

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He kinda comes off as basically a modern take on The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen's Invisible Man.

It's not like Alan Moore made the Invisible Man evil. In the original novel he's also an rear end in a top hat.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One of the writer sposted this huge rant about all the science they put in the movie because people kept making fun of how dumb it was.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Some Guy TT posted:

that poor guy with the nose so ridiculous it looks prosthetic good on him for managing to get cast literally anywhere

if he bulked up a little he'd have a bright future as cyrano de bergerac

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

One of the writer sposted this huge rant about all the science they put in the movie because people kept making fun of how dumb it was.

lol drat, this is so first term w bush administration internet in tone

----------------------------------------------

Why did I bother?

I don't "claim" it's true. It's not like I'm a nutjob in a shack with tinfoil on my head "claiming" that I've come up with some theory on how the earth works. I "stated" it was true. Because it is true. Thanks for the cheap loving shot after I tried to be reasonable and constructive.

And the mocking may have been more effective if you'd spelled "physicist" correctly.

A five minute trip to any online encyclopedia source (either MSN Encarta or the Britannica service) would let you know that the model of the Earth's Core I used for the movie is correct. The Core does indeed spin, slightly faster than the Earth itself. The EM Field is produced by the Core, and when the direction of the flow reverses the poles shift. The Earth is built for that sort of process, that's why when the Core flow stops (I used "altered" in the script, but it was too vague for the suits) the Earth doesn't tear apart immediately and/or the EM Field doesn't just collapse, as DarthSiskel assumed would happen in his review. All the facts, temperatures, and pressures for the layers of the Earth are to the best known value.

The "gem bubble" the ship gets caught in is based on an actual geological formation. The largest one across is one mile, but that's all we've found close to the surface. A larger size is a fair extrapolation.

The systems of the ship are all based on real-world techs, from the ultrasonic/laser digging beam based on the medical technology used to break up kidney stones, to the MRI/video guidance screens. Even the shell of the ship is based on a real, experimental molecule. The Zimsky device is based on research the Nazis did in the '40's.

Okay, you got me on the Coliseum blowing up. It should have been just collapsing from the repeated lightning strikes, but it blows up. Sorry for the FX guys having a little fun there.

The nose cone of the Virgil returns to the surface by riding the magma flows within the crust, which are travelling at an accelerated rate because of the Core restart. They don't need a drill because they're travelling WITH the current through pre-existing channels. It takes them longer than ten minutes to return - that time passage is covered in a subtitle. I'd run through how everything Darth mentions is actually fully explained in the script, but I'm already verging on petty, so I'll move on.

The nice folks at WIRED magazine have decided our science is pretty sound. You can check out their brief article about the movie's tech in their online "PLAY" section, or in November's issue.

Of course, you couldn't be bothered to take that five minute trip through some actual reading before deciding, somehow, despite that you pretty obviously have no bloody idea how the Earth works, that the science in the movie was bullshit. Pointing out that Hollywood made another lazy science movie suited your opinion, so you accused the writers of being lazy.

Thanks. Three goddamn years of working, FIGHTING, to get rid of the loving dinosaurs, magma-walks in "space-suits", bullshit-sci-crap sources for the Earth's crisis, a loving WINDSHIELD at one point (think about it), all the while thinking "I love sci-fi. Sci fi has suffered too many bad-science movies. It's my responsibility to my fellow sci-fi fans to make sure the science is as close as I can get it." All so some guys who enjoy the power trip of snark can toss it out the window without ever thinking "Hey, you know maybe, just POSSIBLY, as I know jackshit about this, this could all be right."

No problem with warp drive, alien species who can't open a kitchen door, or a living liquid planet-god. But an improbable equation for semi-solid fluid dynamics, you're the logic cops.

There are a scrum of guys out here in LaLa Land who love genre films, some writers, some directors, hell even some suits. We're fighting every day to try to make half-way decent stuff. Sure, sometimes we don't get there. But we work our asses off behind the scenes, trying like hell, always remembering the fellow fanboys out there, and unlike some people actually trying to make stuff.

Darth's implied criticism of the film itself - he didn't connect with the characters, he felt some aspects were rushed - okay. I don't agree with him, but perfectly that's valid. You don't like the characters, the plot points, the ideas, didn't think exposition was clear, hell the names, anything about the writing - fine. That's your opinion, that's what the forum's for.

But the ridicule is all based on the assumption that the science is crap. That assumption is unfounded.

I know this is futile. I honestly don't expect you to print this unedited. I don't really care about a bunch of guys sitting in their underwear in their basements taking time off from their on-line stroke photos of Jessica Alba to bash something because they're ignorant. I hate to even dignify this with a reply. But some small part of me hates to see all that time and work get dismissed without even a tiny bit of shame on your part for being arrogant, condescending, and above all, dead wrong.

I just had to get this off my chest. I don't mind sarcasm. Traded that card myself often enough. But ignorant, lazy sarcasm ... if good science in a science fiction movie isn't rewarded with even nominal, polite respect before you go on to trash the movie, why the gently caress ARE WE EVEN BOTHERING?!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
They could've had dinosaurs at Earth's core? Now that might've been a cool movie.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Action Jacktion posted:

They could've had dinosaurs at Earth's core? Now that might've been a cool movie.

that would have been too realistic

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

now i am watching 1995's The City of Lost Children, it's loving out there

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Egg Moron posted:

Crack ping?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

it was alright, definitely a brazil/12 monkeys kind of vibe, like those smashed together with the 5th element as Jean Paul Gaultier did design work on the film

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
city of lost children is very crack ping in that it's about a guy who kidnaps children so he can do psychic vampire poo poo to them and use their energy to become immortal.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

city of lost children is very crack ping in that it's about a guy who kidnaps children so he can do psychic vampire poo poo to them and use their energy to become immortal.

yeah, couldn't stop thinking about the pizzagate extended universe

the action is centered on an oil rig, a sort of extra evil little st james

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Alhazred posted:

It's not like Alan Moore made the Invisible Man evil. In the original novel he's also an rear end in a top hat.

it's also based on a Greek myth where a guy gets a ring which makes him invisible, which then makes him evil because he can act without reprisal or suffering social stigma. this may have inspired tolkein's ring as wel

i think it was called the ring of gyges?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Aglet56 posted:

how does all of this hold up against full metal jacket

I certainly wouldn't call the Vietnamese humanized in that movie but the Americans hardly look good in that flick

while we're on the subject, what did you think of the Ken burns Vietnam war doc. I'm an unapologetic Ken burns fan and although the tone of the doc was definitely exceptionalist as hell i thought it was just really really well edited and the Vietnamese interviews were uniformly spectacular

stav was right when he said ken burns had hosed up doll hair

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

in anticipation of the new adaption of dune i'd like to take this opportunity to express my admiration for the life and career of Denis Villeneuve, whose entire body of work felt perfectly in tune with my own growth and coming of age. each film seemed to be a gentle and natural unveiling of some previously intangible aspect of white supremacy, toxic masculinity, and imperialist milieu. as a former self-described cinephile (cringe) and lib as hell, Villeneuve is the one director I can say truly radicalized me through liberal media.

this all culminated with blade runner 2049, which i went to see alone opening night. it was less of a cinematic experience and more of a sensory overload. i found myself sobbing ten minutes into the movie during gosling's first baseline test, i went straight home and borrowed pale fire from the library and burned my way through its nearly 600 pages in a couple of days, all the while examining how i was an imposter, Charles Kinbote-ing my way through life, rewriting others' struggles as my own, taking moral credit for the victories won by real revolutionaries out on the streets. believing i was the one in the dream, protecting the wooden horse.

the killing blow was of course delivered by Bong Joon Ho with parasite, but without Villeneuve i shudder to think about what cringe bullshit i'd be doing today in service to like Elizabeth warren or something.

“The allotted function of art is not, as is often assumed, to put across ideas, to propagate thoughts, to serve as an example. The aim of art is to prepare a person for death, to plough and harrow his soul, rendering it capable of turning to good.”
― Andrei Tarkovsky

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Egg Moron posted:

The brain was the best character in that movie. The voice of Jean-Louis Trintignant.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Aight, we're going to have to break down all the assumptions that are going on here.

First of all, the main point of the post that you are responding to is that 'likeability' is a political compromise. When I asked who we should give the homeless character a makeover for, that was a rhetorical question. I was talking about liberals - those who would not support the homeless unless we made an altogether different film about the sad beauty of homeless culture or something. (Consider the extreme reaction of liberals against the Joker movie, where the protagonist is an intolerably bad person on top of being impoverished and mentally ill. Consider the satire of black superman Hancock getting a Queer Eye-type makeover so that he can be accepted as human.)

A focus on 'likeability' in characters is a trait of kitsch. Despite the assertion that such an approach is simple and straightforward ("I just like him!") this is really "all too profound" - a product of in deep libidinal and ideological forces. Those forces that make Ellen Ripley 'likeable' are the same that make Tony Stark 'likeable', but I had naively thought that those forces could be wielded to sway the mushy center towards more progressive causes.

Now, your argument is that such political compromise is more profitable - but that's not a disagreement. If anything, it totally underlines the point. But then, going further, you've now amended your argument to say that political compromise is only really perceived as more profitable by the liberal executives making films. By ceding that ground, there's even less of a disagreement. "Likeability" is nebulous and, where we can puzzle it out, there's no actual correlation between it and profitability/popularity. It's a notion that's in fact completely disconnected from reality. Executives are obviously grasping at straws.

Like, here's an issue: most people watching a movie in theatres are only going to watch it once. How do they know the characters are 'likeable' before they've even bought the ticket to see the film?

Because of how causality works, what you're actually saying (unwittingly) is that advertisements are likeable. Familiar actors or brands can be likeable: "I like Pixar movies, so I'll watch Coco." "I like Will Smith, so I'll watch Suicide Squad". And that leads to an interesting point: taking it to a logical conclusion, you are actually treating a given film as an advertisement for its own repeat viewings. You liked the characters, so maybe you'll buy another ticket (or buy the DVD, etc.).... Of course, that's the entire marketing strategy behind "Cinematic Universes".

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So Uncut Gems was OK. I like how it shows how a gambling addict just can't help himself and how Adam Sandler's character seemed like he was going to have his cake and eat it too. At least until that hoodlum character had enough of his poo poo in the end. There were moments where I was holding my head in my hands and muttering "what the gently caress are you doing?" Maybe there is a theme of greed and capitalism making fools of us all here or something, I dunno.

Shoutout to Kevin Garnett and The Weekend for not being the worst actors in the movie. That honor goes to the mistress lady with the nice bum.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so I'm sure this has come up in the thread before but what the hell is going on with that watchmen show, it seems like it's just two slightly divergent types of fascism, one with a weird Liberal aesthetic and the other a caricature of what liberals think Nazism is, and like...it's completely insane?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Yeah, apart from the Tulsa plotline, and even that has weird moments, it's completely stupid birdbrain poo poo.

It's very pretty and well made on the surface, but its politic or characters or motivation is completely insane and disconnected from reality. Almost as if it was made by a rich lib failson disconnected from reality.

grate deceiver has issued a correction as of 14:43 on Jul 14, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Yeah, apart from the Tulsa plotline, and even that has weird moments, it's completely stupid birdbrain poo poo.

It's very pretty and well made on the surface, but its politic or characters or motivation is completely insane and disconnected from reality. Almost as if it was made by a rich lib failson disconnected from reality.

I was expecting something very different after hearing it praised by a bunch of academic social workers I work around but it's almost impossibly bad, we're supposed to root for the violent anonymous police and their anonymous vigilantes because they're the most tepid kind of cosmetically diverse group (literally, like, the show implies most americans still live in poverty, but a select group received sufficient reparations to be upper middle class) versus the brutish impoverished white people, and it's like, wrong on so many levels - it equates poverty with racism, state violence with virtuosity, heavily implies that a fascist authoritarian permanent presidency really isn't so bad as long as it caters to the interests of professional, educated liberals, and is just a sustained insight into the brainworms of powerful neoliberal millionaires

like, everyone was talking about how they learned about the tulsa massacre from it and as a dude who was lucky enough to study history in college/grad school i was like, cool, people should be aware of the materiality of american racism in the past and the degree to which it didn't just manifest in interpersonal violence or abstracted economics but was instead a constant threat hovering over the possibility of black prosperity and emancipation. but the show took it in an entirely different direction that basically relies on the maintenance of white supremacist systems to fight the slightly more uncouth white supremacists they identify as bad and also poor

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Watchmen tv show reminds me of an episode of The Birthday Boys where they have this totally toothless, incoherent sketch on race, and then it cuts to their producer telling them "you need to figure out how to tie this up and deliver some kind of point" and they just say "we couldn't do it, it was too hard," and then they just stare at each other until the episode ends.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Frog Act posted:

everyone was talking about how they learned about the tulsa massacre from it and as a dude who was lucky enough to study history in college/grad school

I also found the entire in-show reason for the massacre, I don't even know what to call it, weird? Offensive? The baddie white supremacists concoct this elaborate scheme with the hypnosis machine to manufacture a reason to go in and shoot everyone. But in reality, this loving happened without any justification needed, they just loving went in guns blazing secure in the knowledge that the state backs them up. Like, what the hell are you trying to say here about a real event that really happened in real life?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

it will never stop being bizarre how out of all the places to have a mainstream dramatized reckoning over the tulsa massacre the one we got was tucked into the prestige fanfic of a superhero comic

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Some Guy TT posted:

it will never stop being bizarre how out of all the places to have a mainstream dramatized reckoning over the tulsa massacre the one we got was tucked into the prestige fanfic of a superhero comic

It’s like how you get a dog to take the pill by putting it in some peanut butter

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Passed issue 200 in Cerebus, so we're in full MGTOW Mystic territory and it's kinda nuts. Mainly I hope Sim never returns to the prose heavy style, because his writing is pretty weak and I don't want another trudge like Reads in the bottom third.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

I also found the entire in-show reason for the massacre, I don't even know what to call it, weird? Offensive? The baddie white supremacists concoct this elaborate scheme with the hypnosis machine to manufacture a reason to go in and shoot everyone. But in reality, this loving happened without any justification needed, they just loving went in guns blazing secure in the knowledge that the state backs them up. Like, what the hell are you trying to say here about a real event that really happened in real life?

There was a really insidious thing about the show where all the racism and all the racist white people are members of a shadowy secret KKK organization, and other than that secret organization there's low-level racial prejudice but it isn't really addressed. Like, the show basically implicitly says that if you got rid of Donald Trump and David Duke and had a black Superman then racism would be solved forever, which is uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh not exactly accurate in my opinion

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed these problems, but I missed that the riot in the beginning wasn't just meant to be a reproduction of the original organic outburst by white oklahomans, but ofc it had to be the result of some external tchotchke.

i actually accidentally watched the last episode first because the bulgarian streaming site i use for prestige garbage i wont pay for had them in reverse order so i was like "boy this is incoherent even for a modern show like this" but even going back and watching the first three episodes didn't even begin to redeem it

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

It's all completely insane.

The fact that they took the character that was a nazi and a rapist from the comic and made him the black hero in the show. Dr Manhattan turning himself black to 'see how it's like'. Ozymandias doing fart jokes on Mars and some clone poo poo that has barely any connection to the main plot. The entire Angela/Manhattan romance, and the fact that after the mindwipe, Angela pretty much constructed for herself a husband from scratch. The fact that the big racist police chief with the full kkk outfit hidden in the closet was all this time a friend/surrogate father to Angela.

That stupid loving scene where a cop dies, because he had to ask permission to use a gun, because that's how it works in this stupid bothsides lib utopia. Lmao, every time I hear about how great Watchmen was at predicting what is happening now with the riots, I think back to that scene. And of course the good cop getting god powers at the end.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
We can't forget how it's revealed that Silk Spectre is perpetually thirsty for Dr. Manhattan's dick and we're supposed to think that's feminist

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Lmao, I forgot about the giant dildo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I never watched that show, i just saw the clip of "lube man." wtf is "lube man."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

It's all completely insane.

The fact that they took the character that was a nazi and a rapist from the comic and made him the black hero in the show. Dr Manhattan turning himself black to 'see how it's like'. Ozymandias doing fart jokes on Mars and some clone poo poo that has barely any connection to the main plot. The entire Angela/Manhattan romance, and the fact that after the mindwipe, Angela pretty much constructed for herself a husband from scratch. The fact that the big racist police chief with the full kkk outfit hidden in the closet was all this time a friend/surrogate father to Angela.

That stupid loving scene where a cop dies, because he had to ask permission to use a gun, because that's how it works in this stupid bothsides lib utopia. Lmao, every time I hear about how great Watchmen was at predicting what is happening now with the riots, I think back to that scene. And of course the good cop getting god powers at the end.

Don't forget how the cops don't wear nametags or identify themselves, and have secret torture sites where they abduct people without trial and torture them to get information because they just know that those people are part of the bad guy group, and this is a good thing because the cops are black and the bad guys are white. I mean it's a terrible cliche to say "swap this around and see if it's still okay" but seriously swap that around and imagine a bunch of white cops in masks with no nametags abducting random black people from their homes and taking them to secret torture sites to interrogate them because they just know that they're members of the Black Panthers and that being treated like a good and heroic thing to do.

The whole show is basically "remember that comic about how superheroes are an inherently fascist and extremely problematic concept? Well HIRE 👏 MORE 👏 BLACK 👏 FASCISTS"

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
remember when the hillary people went loving insane because their yass dragon queen on got turned out to actually be evil

they unironically just want black and gay fascism and want it fed to them by lin manuel miranda in an insufferable pandering baby rap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

God Hole posted:

in anticipation of the new adaption of dune i'd like to take this opportunity to express my admiration for the life and career of Denis Villeneuve, whose entire body of work felt perfectly in tune with my own growth and coming of age. each film seemed to be a gentle and natural unveiling of some previously intangible aspect of white supremacy, toxic masculinity, and imperialist milieu. as a former self-described cinephile (cringe) and lib as hell, Villeneuve is the one director I can say truly radicalized me through liberal media.

this all culminated with blade runner 2049, which i went to see alone opening night. it was less of a cinematic experience and more of a sensory overload. i found myself sobbing ten minutes into the movie during gosling's first baseline test, i went straight home and borrowed pale fire from the library and burned my way through its nearly 600 pages in a couple of days, all the while examining how i was an imposter, Charles Kinbote-ing my way through life, rewriting others' struggles as my own, taking moral credit for the victories won by real revolutionaries out on the streets. believing i was the one in the dream, protecting the wooden horse.

the killing blow was of course delivered by Bong Joon Ho with parasite, but without Villeneuve i shudder to think about what cringe bullshit i'd be doing today in service to like Elizabeth warren or something.

“The allotted function of art is not, as is often assumed, to put across ideas, to propagate thoughts, to serve as an example. The aim of art is to prepare a person for death, to plough and harrow his soul, rendering it capable of turning to good.”
― Andrei Tarkovsky

I am real loving nervous about this new dune series as the first four dune novels are my beautiful baby and a lot of these prestige shows are real flashy and good looking but are confused as gently caress and amount to nothing more than so much tricky commotion. Watchmen is a great example, really nice looking but it draws from an original work with an incredibly coherent perspective and turns it into muddled bourgeois liberal horseshit. Dune is Dialectical Materialism the novel and if the show is anything except that I am going to get mad online.

Blade Runner 2049 is guilty of this as well. Blade Runner is the story of a man, Deckard, who is beat down by holding a distasteful job in a decaying society. then he meets Roy, whose infectious zest for life teaches Deckard that he can gently caress a robot. Blade Runner 2049 is not about that.