Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

He found out that Burakh was going to summon the plague and, perhaps rightly, figured that Burakh was making a terrible mistake

yeah isidor and simon kain decided to unleash the plague the night before artimey arrives because they think it is a trial that the town must undergo to evolve (i think what isidor says in the dream sequence is that he decided his handling of the original outbreak was like setting a bone wrong or sewing someone up wrong and so now he has to re-break it so it can heal correctly). one of the kin who you can talk to in the village after they move back tells you he saw simon and isidor digging a hole in the steppe (which would infect them with the plague apparently and they plan to carry it back to the town) and runs off to tell oyun, who confronts isidor and kills him. or maybe it was one of the witnesses that saburov arrests that tells you that, i forgot

it makes sense then that you first see the plague in burakh's house and it seemingly first spreads from there

i dunno if simon is also killed by oyun or if he dies of plague the same night. i imagine you learn that in the other stories.
in the marble nest which i just started the bachelor has managed to quarantine out the plague and save the west side of town but georgiy kain breaks the quarantine to try and infect the rest of the town because he also believes the plague is a test that the town needs to undergo to evolve.

RBA Starblade posted:

In Pathologic 1 you find out, I forget how you do in 2. It's Simon Kain though.

that makes sense, i bet it comes up in the bachelor's story since rubin was seemingly working mostly with him

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

hbomb's video of pathologic 1 inspired me to play through the bachelor's route late last year (in the sense that i wanted to play the game before i watched the video) and it was the most entranced i've been by a game in a long time, even with all the jank and tedium. i got a couple days into the haruspex but at that point it was all becoming a bit much, so i decided to just buy path 2 and play it when the time was right

well, the time was finally right and goddamn, i respected the hell out of 1 but 2 is a genuine masterpiece. as soon as that loving song started playing in the intro walk through the doomed town i got chills

i think i did fairly well. all my kids and friends survived along with a good chunk of the rest of the town. i saved both vlads from their date with the kin, but they died of plague anyways because they were both bastards and i had other people to heal, even if vlad the younger is admittedly trying to make amends. the twins and yulia were unfortunate causalities, but my biggest regret was how aspity died on the final day. her infection level was just barely at the threshold of death, so if i had given her any medicine at all (even the wrong type) she would have lived. i was tempted to reload my save but the sense of how badly i'd hosed up seemed very authentic to the game.

also anna angel apparently got sick and died without me ever meeting her or ever being directed to meet her and i found that very funny. also, lara spent most of the game sick (i gave her all the best treatment i could but i didn't have a surplus of schmowders to feel comfortable curing her early) so her attempted assassination of Block just never happened, which was interesting.

ending talk: I really like how you actually get an epilogue, instead of talking to all your bound before you make the ending choice. there's some fascinating stuff in there (like none of the kains really caring that the polyhedron is gone lmao) and it definitely gives the game a better sense of closure. my biggest motivation for my choice was just, well, my kids. i'd spent all game taking care of them, and there was no way in hell i was gonna do anything that put their lives at risk again, even though i do pity the kin.

i went back today to get the other ending and i don't regret my choice, even though it was still interesting and i absolutely see why someone would think it's the best option. still, having the kids not recognize me was heartbreaking. :smith:

as much of an idiot bastard the bachelor is, it's a little sad how either ending leaves him a broken man; though at least if you destroy the polyhedron he's just drunk and sad and can conceivably make a recovery, instead of... walking across the steppe.

speaking of the kids, one of the things that hits my emotions hardest in games is when your player character's reactions align with your own, so the very obvious love that Artemy has for his blood had me on the brink of tears the night all the kids were infected, even though i knew i could cure them all.

my only real complaint about the soundtrack is that there's so much of it and it all owns but a lot of it feels underutilized? like i really like the theme that plays in victor kain's house, but you only ever need to go there like once and you'll probably only hear a minute of it. the game has a huge variety of music, but for the bulk of the gameplay (walking around town) you'll be hearing the same mostly-atmospheric poo poo over and over again

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 20, 2020

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, hopefully we'll get to hear more of those other themes during the Bachelor and Changeling paths.

Speaking of, here's a spoiler doc for what IPL is working on.

Neuro Skazka seems specially fun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, hopefully we'll get to hear more of those other themes during the Bachelor and Changeling paths.

Whoa this is awesome. Thank you for existing still IPL.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ZearothK posted:

Well that sounds awesome and I'm glad to hear they're still around. It's been pretty quiet from them it feels like. Though, I guess that's always the case.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Well, it seems Alphyna was their most social network-savvy member, and the studio fell off the face of the Internet right around the time she decided to move on.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And it's now official!

https://twitter.com/IcePickLodge/status/1280195613100052481

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sick. That's dope

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Still can't get over that Neuro Skazka art, it looks so sick.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Is there any studio with sicker art than IPL?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

In Training posted:

Still can't get over that Neuro Skazka art, it looks so sick.

there's a teaser for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bg9xfeT6Q4

video description translated posted:

Neuro Skazka is a mobile psycho-game about universe evolving in a dying God's mind. The worse it is for God, the smarter and prettier the parasitic universe gets. Feed its inhabitants neural signals and watch the characters turn from simple planets into anthropomorphic creatures.
pretty on-brand for Ice Pick

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bad Grief and Notkin both die at midnight on day 8 and it's such a low roll that nothing I can do will save them. I know I'm supposed to roll with the punches but that's such a brutal one-two hit that I feel too traumatised to continue... Bad Grief I was just about to get you out of your terrible gang life for good, and Notkin I already gave you a fuckin Shmowder you weren't supposed to get infected again... :negative:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Bad Grief and Notkin both die at midnight on day 8 and it's such a low roll that nothing I can do will save them. I know I'm supposed to roll with the punches but that's such a brutal one-two hit that I feel too traumatised to continue... Bad Grief I was just about to get you out of your terrible gang life for good, and Notkin I already gave you a fuckin Shmowder you weren't supposed to get infected again... :negative:

That's a big RIP for Bad Grief, his story is great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Notkin really goes out of his way to try and die to plague

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

My first playthrough bad grief died on day 5 because I thought "pfft, what're the odds he fails the infection roll" and then "pfft, what're the odds he fails the death roll immediately after the infection roll"

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

As long as you don't use any medicine on Anna Angel, you are forgiven.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ZearothK posted:

As long as you don't use any medicine on Anna Angel, you are forgiven.

I saved everyone :colbert:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

does anything happen if the kids on the list die? i was able to save them all but does the plague actually get to kill the udurgh like it says in one of the hallucinations that it needs to go through the kids to get to the eigth?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

does anything happen if the kids on the list die? i was able to save them all but does the plague actually get to kill the udurgh like it says in one of the hallucinations that it needs to go through the kids to get to the eigth?

No, it doesn't change anything in terms of ending. The udurgh dies in the Diurnal Ending either way.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Notkin really goes out of his way to try and die to plague

yeah I feel like I could have saved Bad Grief (although he got the lowest possible "roll" so I'd have had to find a schmowder) but while I really like Notkin he can gently caress off, I've been pouring half my resources down his throat and he just keeps smearing himself in plague every morning like a bath. it's like trying to preserve a panda

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Notkin totally died in my playthrough too, along with Grief.
I mean, considering they're some of the central characters of your playthrough, I would imagine there are some slightly bigger chances for their deaths. Not that it would be a bad thing, it's how this game operates and it's beautiful.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah I feel like I could have saved Bad Grief (although he got the lowest possible "roll" so I'd have had to find a schmowder) but while I really like Notkin he can gently caress off, I've been pouring half my resources down his throat and he just keeps smearing himself in plague every morning like a bath. it's like trying to preserve a panda

Notkin caught the plague three times when I played. Granted some of those were forced from the story, but still. Somehow he survived at the end even though the third time I didn't even bother curing him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In mine I kept it off him, then he caught it, I used a panacea on him, then he instantly caught it again and immediately failed the rolls for shaking it off with an improved antibiotic and the death roll.

Thanks Notkin. Thatkin.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Aw man I lost Aspity on day 10. :( Would never have got to her with a panacea in time as well as saving all the kids and Lara... Antibiotic wasn't enough. My Blood section is a dangerous place to be.

How random is the risk of infection/death for characters really? I feel like I had very bad luck with "close" characters being infected and dying on unlucky rolls, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it was weighted towards that being fairly likely.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

How random is the risk of infection/death for characters really? I feel like I had very bad luck with "close" characters being infected and dying on unlucky rolls, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it was weighted towards that being fairly likely.

Yeah, I feel that too. I think Anna or someone else got infected on my playthrough very early on and just didn't die for what seemed like forever even though I did nothing. But of course it's just personal anecdotes, who knows how it actually works.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I get the feeling that the game's explanation of it is actually pretty accurate. 1d6, if it's less than the character's immunity rating then they get infected. Death always wins on a 1, you always win on a 6.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

And finished, chose to destroy the Tower as I couldn't really come up with a clear justification for killing everyone in town to save some potentially metaphorical weirdos - even the kids seem to have found the tower a bit weird and it's not like I ever got to see inside/close.

I haven't played 1 but read up enough about it and its routes that I think a broader case could/should have been made for saving the Tower as a valid choice. It might have been one if not for the "oh we'll have to bombard the town if we do that" issue, I get thematically why that was necessary but it just doesn't seem like the kind of choice the Haruspex or any sane person should take.

As I understand it's better justified in the Bachelor/Changeling routes so we'll see what 2 does with those, but you know, it's meant to be a complete game as it is so for the ultimate choice to be pretty unequal feels like a slight misstep.

Kind of want to go back and replay it and see if I can spare more/different people but also the game was like 25-30 hours long and I kind of cannot be arsed. Wonder how long it is if you whack everything on easy and just play directly through the story rather than worrying about survival?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

And finished, chose to destroy the Tower as I couldn't really come up with a clear justification for killing everyone in town to save some potentially metaphorical weirdos - even the kids seem to have found the tower a bit weird and it's not like I ever got to see inside/close.

I haven't played 1 but read up enough about it and its routes that I think a broader case could/should have been made for saving the Tower as a valid choice. It might have been one if not for the "oh we'll have to bombard the town if we do that" issue, I get thematically why that was necessary but it just doesn't seem like the kind of choice the Haruspex or any sane person should take.

As I understand it's better justified in the Bachelor/Changeling routes so we'll see what 2 does with those, but you know, it's meant to be a complete game as it is so for the ultimate choice to be pretty unequal feels like a slight misstep.

the destruction of the tower means the annihilation of the haruspex's heritage and the loss of one of the world's few remaining "slivers of the miraculous." he spends the entire game torn between honoring his forebears as a menkhu and defying them to save the town he actually knew and lived in, so there was plenty of groundwork set up for him one way or the other

it's still a far more bittersweet ending (assuming most of your adherents are still alive), because the resurrected world of the polyhedron doesn't have a place for burakh, either

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Kind of want to go back and replay it and see if I can spare more/different people but also the game was like 25-30 hours long and I kind of cannot be arsed. Wonder how long it is if you whack everything on easy and just play directly through the story rather than worrying about survival?

If you put everything on maximum easy you can beat the game in half an hour by just sleeping through it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

If you want to do a run with a resource surplus you can just quaff all the twyre(sp?)to see where the caches are and then reload.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

if you know how to play the game you can actually be wildly ahead of the curve even with the settings turned up. theres like an order of magnitude more resources than you need for any given day available around you

edit: somehow i misread what you were saying - yeah with all the difficulty settings down you dont have to worry at all, really. the game will probably give you more than you need just via tutorials and such. keep in mind that if you set your rate of hunger to 50% and food value to 200% its gonna take 4x as long to starve

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Watching a Let's Play of Pathologic 2, and man, while the translation to English is really good, it does lack something. Mainly bummed about one of my favorite lines being changed. On the first day of work in the theatre you meet an orderly who says "What was a theatre of comedy is now an anatomy theatre". In Russian it was a rhyme, and I don't really see why they couldn't preserve it. This poor dude in a bulky costume making a lovely "the theatre was comical but now it's anatomical" joke is such a dumb moment, I love it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I felt like the Nocturnal ending is the one that suits Artemy more, I was a little bit torn about it but I convinced myself that the plague won't be as big of a dick moving forward, at least until Artemy dies.

I also kinda wussed out and restarted the game during my first playthrough after things started going bad on the sixth day, a lot of the difficulty stems from the player 'not knowing anything', the second playthrough went much better and I had enough shmowders to save everybody... other than Anna Angel, but I dunno what I feel about her anyway, never got to the bottom of her deal with the babies, oh well.

Generally the game is great, it does many things right; I felt like for the most part the player's actions didn't really have as much impact on the story and what characters say to you, dialog choices especially felt like often you'd see 4\5 statements that will lead to the exact same path. But I guess that's an opportunity to role play a bit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
anna angel is a former member of a traveling circus that would kidnap children from the towns where they performed and force them into the troupe (and/or whore them out), killing the ones who disobeyed. anna’s little ventures to the infected houses are a sort of penitence, though it’s borne less from guilt and more from fear of retribution for her crimes, and it’s telling that her way of making amends still revolves around the exploitation of children

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Generally the game is great, it does many things right; I felt like for the most part the player's actions didn't really have as much impact on the story and what characters say to you, dialog choices especially felt like often you'd see 4\5 statements that will lead to the exact same path. But I guess that's an opportunity to role play a bit.

Yeah, I feel like the game feels like Monkey Island there a bit. Unless you say real dumb poo poo you won't miss out on that much, but it's an opportunity to be the Artemy you want to be

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Is the encounter with the changeling at the army camp on the steppe on the last day the biggest 'gently caress you' moment in the game or what? I felt it was pretty silly there's a path of zero resistence you must take while every other path leads to unavoidable death, afterwards you'll have to repeat the entire conversation leading to the segment, honestly it just felt a little poorly designed.

In general it can be said about the game that mechnically it doesn't really offer any challenge once the player knows what to do, it can also be said the game actually becomes easier on the later days, especially once you can just train robbers into soldiers and loot their corpses, finish the soldier with a a sneak backstab with your menkhu finger while you're at it. , and of course there's the whole fact that stealth is completly overpowered, I see people in the earlier pages of the thread discuss looting houses and the dangers of getting piled up but at some point you figure you just could C while inside a house and that this will give the opportunity to either sneak past looters and backstab them twice for free loot or otherwise just close the door and go to a different room, or something like the fights with the odonghs where the first time you go through it it seems hard and punishing but they really always follow the same attack sequence which is so telegraphed that it even stops your block animation when it's time to execute a powerstab and back off.

I don't know, I'm not really complaining, I just finished the game and I want to talk about it with people.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Yeah, I think it’s a game that really really shines on the first play through and subsequent ones just become way easier. In a strange way it reminds me a bit of Dark Souls like that: DS took me 40 hours to beat the first time and the second play through took 8 hours. Pathologic 2 feels kind of similar insofar as once you know what’s coming and what’s important / not important it becomes trivially easy to “game” the system.

But I love this game unreservedly so my opinion may be a bit warped.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Well, those are just facts, it's a story game, not any kind of skill game

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

woodenchicken posted:

Well, those are just facts, it's a story game, not any kind of skill game

I wouldn't quite agree with that. A lot of the harsh reviews the game received were from people thinking it was a story game and then getting their teeth punched in by the survival mechanics. It is not a hard game (on default settings) for someone who is familiar with its mechanics, town layout and plot beats, but getting to become familiar with them is a process that will take some trial and error, some deaths and frustration without a guide.

As it is, I can't fault a game for becoming easier with mastery of its systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

I wouldn't quite agree with that. A lot of the harsh reviews the game received were from people thinking it was a story game and then getting their teeth punched in by the survival mechanics. It is not a hard game (on default settings) for someone who is familiar with its mechanics, town layout and plot beats, but getting to become familiar with them is a process that will take some trial and error, some deaths and frustration without a guide.

As it is, I can't fault a game for becoming easier with mastery of its systems

Yeah a big part of the difficulty is the fact that you have to learn this stuff as you go, while you are on a timer. The game drops you into the deep end on purpose, so playing again once you've learned how to swim is of course going to be less stressful.