Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

ronya posted:

Zoom out from UKpol for a moment and just think about how dysfunctional British political decisionnmaking looks from an international perspective. It's not even whether the project is a good idea at that point: it's that the British polity at large cannot decide on what it wants and what costs it would accept to achieve what it wants.

Can verify this is the case here in China. To the very limited extent policy makers bother to inform themselves about the rest of the world (China is increasingly like the US in that sense), their view of the UK is “what the actual gently caress?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So is ours :(

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/AIMWoundedKnee/status/1282303850309976066?s=19

Cool

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Up the loving 'ra

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

it was a 12 year old kid what the gently caress

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Going to be fun watching them post Brexit, knowing the mainland shat on them and told them to lump it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

Going to be fun watching them post Brexit, knowing the mainland shat on them and told them to lump it.

I honestly don't think they'll understand. Most of them seem to think Brexit is already done lol

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
trying to subtly suggest to someone in the Euro travel thread that it's maybe not such a good idea to be jetting off to Greece for a beach holiday but everyone else seems to be 100% on board with the idea and saying things like "this is a great time to go because there will be no cruise ships" :psyduck:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Is the track and trace piece of paper not mandatory for pubs? I went for a pint the other day (although it was exclusively outdoors) and nothing was mentioned.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

They are more of a danger to Greece than the other way round, tbf.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Nothingtoseehere posted:

They are more of a danger to Greece than the other way round, tbf.

yes and to me that seems like a pretty good reason to not loving go

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

Yes, the company costs are taken before my final pay.

I've had a look on the website and it states my contribution is 5% of earnings which includes tax relief and my employer contribution is 3% of my earnings.

[Edit: after some discussion on discord exploring the fact that you're on a ZH contract running through an umbrella, this advice below is probably wrong, and they are entitled to deduct the money.

You are entitled to "opt out" of paying any contributions, which will remove both sides of the deduction from your pay packet, caveat re retirement etc -- but seeing as you aren't getting "free money" from the employer, maybe it's worth considering doing so. Speak to your umbrella and they will opt you out on request]

Maybe someone has already answered this, but I work for a pension provider in the UK (albeit as a computer toucher).

The employer contribution should not be coming out of your pay packet. If you are making pension contributions in the UK, your employer (umbrella or otherwise) is mandated to pay that 3%, not you.

I'm not *certain* of the intricacies of zero hours contracts or umbrella companies, so I may be missing something, but this sounds like (in regulatory terms) a reportable breach. Pension law in the UK is complicated as gently caress in the detail, but the principle (if you are contributing, your employer must be too) is pretty simple.

You should also have the ability to fully opt out really easily if you choose to, which will return at least your 5% to your pay packet, although you should think about the impact on your retirement if you do.

I suggest you fire off a quick email to The Pensions Regulator (https://www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/en/contact-us/whistleblowing-contact-us). They do have (some) teeth and will be able to advise you if your employer is in breach (and will follow up direct with them). I don't know whether they guarantee anonymity or not, though -- YMMV.

kalleth fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 12, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Perfect Element posted:

Is the track and trace piece of paper not mandatory for pubs? I went for a pint the other day (although it was exclusively outdoors) and nothing was mentioned.

I went to two yesterday and there was no tracking stuff since we were outdoors. One of them said they needed to add you on WhatsApp if you wanted to sit indoors though.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Outdoor trip report: the Thames path is pretty busy, some places seem to be controlling the number of people fairly well, others not so much and any spare scrap of grass along the river is pretty packed out. Very similar to the way things were ~1 week before the full lockdown started. That said I didn't see many places open indoors so if the stuff about drive by transmission being rare is true we may yet not be hosed.

Also my neighbours kids have spent a solid 5 hours screaming and calling each other (and their parents) twats while soaking the boundary fence in water from one of those above ground pool things they've parked right next to it and having various people round to join the party in the covid pond.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just spent the last 6 hours outside, getting sunburned while 'playing' 'cricket'.
From the general noise level in the local area, it certainly sounded like lots of people were out and about socially distancing enjoying the weather.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

bessantj posted:

Thank you for the offer, maybe it is better to get some more experienced eyes on it. I've chopped it up but all the pertinent info is there. All that's missing from the second one is how much holiday pay I've saved up.

I may be a bit late but my understanding of the situation is as follows.

You (person A) work for umbrella company (company B) who contrac ts you out to who you labour for (company C).

In essence then company B is your employer, not company C, and are therefore responsible for employer NI and pension contributions etc.

What company B will do is charge a rate to company C that includes the costs they incur for employing you. Essentially they've charged £12 an hour for your labour. This is called the assignment rate. From that assignment rate they've taken the costs they incur for employing you as well as £21 profit, then paid you £394 which is your gross pay.

From that £394 you have then paid tax etc as normal, leaving you £354 as your net pay.

To put it very simply, umbrella companies charge the end user more than they pay the contractor because they need to make money themselves as well as pay statutory costs. Whike the existence of umbrella companies is scummy, it doesn't look like they've broken the law, amd in fact have provided you with a record of the employer contributions for your records.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Dirty secret that I just heard from my home town in N. Ireland.
One of the pubs never closed AT ALL during lockdown.
They shut the doors and you have to phone ahead to get in.
Haven't a clue if they were reported to the police at all, but then again our nearest police station is 10 miles away and they don't even come out for house break ins until the next day usually.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Id suspect a fair amount of village locals did the same

Namtab fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 12, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wait, the track and trace thing is mandatory for indoor places? I was in a Nero's yesterday and the only indication of it was a piece of paper with a QR code on it stuck above the sugar and napkin rack, saying something about using it with some app I don't have.

All part of the "get the plebs back to work ASAP" policy, I guess. Can't self-isolate when you've been traced as in contact with someone infected if you can't be traced!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Payndz posted:

Wait, the track and trace thing is mandatory for indoor places? I was in a Nero's yesterday and the only indication of it was a piece of paper with a QR code on it stuck above the sugar and napkin rack, saying something about using it with some app I don't have.

All part of the "get the plebs back to work ASAP" policy, I guess. Can't self-isolate when you've been traced as in contact with someone infected if you can't be traced!

Yeah there's no way it was supposed to work in any capacity beyond allowing the government to say they're doing it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

happyhippy posted:

Dirty secret that I just heard from my home town in N. Ireland.
One of the pubs never closed AT ALL during lockdown.
They shut the doors and you have to phone ahead to get in.
Haven't a clue if they were reported to the police at all, but then again our nearest police station is 10 miles away and they don't even come out for house break ins until the next day usually.

In Norn Iron I'm sure 100% the peelers were the first ones through the door lmao, as long as they got a couple of free pints or a wee twenty under the table they wouldn't upset the apple cart

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

kalleth posted:

[Edit: after some discussion on discord exploring the fact that you're on a ZH contract running through an umbrella, this advice below is probably wrong, and they are entitled to deduct the money.

You are entitled to "opt out" of paying any contributions, which will remove both sides of the deduction from your pay packet, caveat re retirement etc -- but seeing as you aren't getting "free money" from the employer, maybe it's worth considering doing so. Speak to your umbrella and they will opt you out on request]

Maybe someone has already answered this, but I work for a pension provider in the UK (albeit as a computer toucher).

Well thank you for the effort anyway.

Namtab posted:

I may be a bit late but my understanding of the situation is as follows.

You (person A) work for umbrella company (company B) who contrac ts you out to who you labour for (company C).

In essence then company B is your employer, not company C, and are therefore responsible for employer NI and pension contributions etc.

What company B will do is charge a rate to company C that includes the costs they incur for employing you. Essentially they've charged £12 an hour for your labour. This is called the assignment rate. From that assignment rate they've taken the costs they incur for employing you as well as £21 profit, then paid you £394 which is your gross pay.

From that £394 you have then paid tax etc as normal, leaving you £354 as your net pay.

To put it very simply, umbrella companies charge the end user more than they pay the contractor because they need to make money themselves as well as pay statutory costs. Whike the existence of umbrella companies is scummy, it doesn't look like they've broken the law, amd in fact have provided you with a record of the employer contributions for your records.

Yes, I'm resigned to the fact that there is little I can do. however I had a shift last night and talked to a couple of people and apparently if you're a COSS (Controller of Site Safety), Machine Controller or an ES (Engineering Supervisor) or something like that they pay you slightly differently and you don't get all the deductions. So maybe that's something I should work towards.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, one of the three pubs that had to close immediately after reopening said they had to ring everyone who'd left their contact details. They'd done it all in one day to make sure people knew as soon as possible, and said it had taken them until 10pm. They only had one number per group, and it's up to that person to contact everyone else who was with them. The system works if you've got conscientious bar staff, customers who leave their real contact details in neat hadwriting, and a lead contact who can remember exactly who they were with down the pub the weekend before last.

So many links in the chain to break. But hey, there's a system, and it's not the government's fault if it doesn't work. Cheers!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"world beating"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

honestly I'm kinda surprised the rest of the world is so blown away with our handling of this, when our entire historical brand is posh elites doing stuff in the worst, laziest back of an envelope way causing untold damage and death

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/sustrapperazzi_/status/1282309409532772352?s=19

https://twitter.com/sustrapperazzi_/status/1282417245575151618?s=19

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Up the loving 'ra

:hmmyes:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The Covid 19 tracing app launched here in Ireland this week. So far it seems to be working with nearly a million people having downloaded it.

That being said it was only today that I saw a comic on Facebook explain how the app works in a way that doesn't comprise your privacy.

(I am not able to upload said comic, but the app just spits out random messages that other people with the app who are nearby absorb and keep for 14 days. If you report as sick, the central server posts the "winning Covid Lottery numbers." If your phone detects matches it tells you that you have been in contact with someone who has Covid and only at that stage do you get contacted by the health service.)

Seems pretty cool. Sometimes technology can solve big problems.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

the poor Yaxley-Lennons having their hollybobs ruined with politics

The Question IRL posted:

The Covid 19 tracing app launched here in Ireland this week. So far it seems to be working with nearly a million people having downloaded it.

That being said it was only today that I saw a comic on Facebook explain how the app works in a way that doesn't comprise your privacy.

(I am not able to upload said comic, but the app just spits out random messages that other people with the app who are nearby absorb and keep for 14 days. If you report as sick, the central server posts the "winning Covid Lottery numbers." If your phone detects matches it tells you that you have been in contact with someone who has Covid and only at that stage do you get contacted by the health service.)

that just sounds like the standard stuff Apple and Google are rolling out. We, of course, will be developing our own FAR BETTEr *trips over chair dropping money into someone's pocket* oh dear

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

sounds sameish as in Switzerland and Germany

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

twisto posted:
National debt is completely and totally unlike household finances. The thing is that people just aren't used to thinking of money on those terms and default to thinking about credit cards, egged on by politicians who want to manufacture a crisis to implement their political agenda.

So first of all, sovereign debt (that is, debt issued in the currency of the issuing nation) has a pretty spectacular get-out-of-jail-free card. We agree to pay someone 1.1 billion quid in a year if they lend us a billion (the interest rate is a *lot* lower than that in reality but obviously I'm simplifying). Hmm... where can we lay our hands on 1.1 billion quid? Well, there are these printing presses over here... Long-term this isn't sustainable - the "free" money makes its way back into the economy, devaluing the pound and causing inflation, and the people we lent the money to remember and want more money next time - but short-term, say when recovering from a truly unprecedented crash in the world economy, it's fine.

This, by the way, is why any comparison to Greece or any other Eurozone nation is entirely pointless. Greece don't have a printing press, the Germans have it, and they're not going to gently caress up their own economy to help out the Greeks, European Ideal or not. It's also why debt-to-GDP is completely and totally pointless as any kind of indicator when comparing us to the Eurozone. We can use our printing press to grow our economy, through investment in infrastructure, R&D, and all that sort of fun stuff. We don't need to shrink the debt side if we grow the GDP side.

The next important difference between sovereign debt and household debt is cost - bond yields (the equivalent of an interest rate - basically we auction off bits of paper that are effectively IOUs saying "We'll pay whoever owns this bit of paper x million pounds on y date, and the difference between that face value and the amount they sell for at auction is basically the interest rate we pay) are spectacularly lower for sovereign debt. Indeed, in times of great financial calamity - like, say, the last 5 years - investors are so desperate for a safe harbour for their money that they are willing to pay more than the face value of the bond for the lack of risk. Just to reiterate, in bold because this is really loving important, when things are really hosed, we actually pay a negative interest rate. People will give us a million quid now for 990,000 quid later.

So. National debt - at this point - not an actual issue. However the Tories never let a crisis go to waste. They implant the idea that we have to pay off our national credit card (obviously bloated by evil Labour spending money on mansions for pedophile gypsies, not in a desperate attempt to rescue a financial system that is the darling of the neoliberals from imploding from the inevitable stupidity and unreality at its heart). This idea takes hold and the Tories give a really obvious solution to it - cut government spending! This is an obvious, common-sense, man-on-the-street solution and so is, of course, completely and totally the wrong thing to do. It completely ignores where almost all government spending goes, which is of course straight into the economy - in particular mostly to the poorest members of society, who instantly spend it (the feckless bastards) in local shops, who spend it with local suppliers, who spend it with local wholesalers, generating jobs and tax revenue all the way down the line. Much better to let the rich keep it where they can do good things like it like dumping it into the housing bubble or squirrel it away in the Virgin Islands.

The net effect of massive spending cuts then is to shrink the economy, shrinking tax revenues, meaning... you're going to love this... we have to borrow more money when we cut spending. It's a lie so spectacularly big that literally nobody ever dares call them out on it. The government's solution to a problem which doesn't actually exist actually exacerbates the problem. MORE CUTS FOR THE CUTS GOD! So why are they doing this? The same two reasons they do everything, and the two central planks of all Tory (of all colour) policy:

1: More money for us
2: gently caress you

Spending cuts have only one real effect - concentrating money into the hands who already have it. This isn't a matter of opinion, it's simple fact. When pressed on this Tories will either say that well actually the people at the top deserve that money or really it's going to help the economy in the long term by getting the nasty inefficient government out of the way of the strivers, but see points one and two and work out which story better fits the observable facts.

So, what could we as a society actually have done in '08? Good question. The one thing nobody knows is what would have happened if we'd just let it all crash. not even the most lunatic anarchocapitalist says that it would have worked out well - if nothing else pretty much every piece of money and property in the world would have ended up being the subject of three dozen different court cases in as many different jurisdictions trying to work out who actually owns it. What's certain of course is that the poorest would be the most hosed because that's the inevitable conclusion of everything that happens in this world. At best - at best - the whole world would have ended up like Russia in the nineties, with people giving up everything they own for just enough food to live, to the tiny amount of people who actually had ready cash.

Given that, if we accept that the system needed to be rescued, we could have just done what we always did before - borrow money, inflate ourselves out of the crisis, try to do what we can to cushion the blow as much as possible, and for fucks sake regulate the banking system properly to stop it happening again. So, of course, what we're doing is the exact, polar opposite. We're loving over the very poorest, saddling ourselves with more debt at worse rates (because the money markets aren't stupid and know that austerity is hurting our ability to repay and so cranking our rates up) and of course rejecting any calls to regulate anything ever.

When it happens again - and it will happen again - unless something big happens, the next crash will probably take the whole lot down because we've pissed away all our chances to fix it.

Yes! Thanks!

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

I wonder how that "Pick for Britain" thing is doing?

BBC posted:

Coronavirus: Mathon farm workers isolating after 73 cases
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-53381802

Oh...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mano posted:

sounds sameish as in Switzerland and Germany

It's the reference implementation Apple and Google designed so yeah it'll be the same everywhere with a vaguely competent/not-evil government that don't already have their own system.

(It's also the idea I had and posted here as to how you could do it privately and I would like a £10m contract from HMG please)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

return0 posted:

Yes! Thanks!

I'm always surprised when I see that quoted cos it's even more full of typos and unfinished thoughts than my normal posts, and there's a reason for that that I can never remember, I just remember reading it the next day and going "ugh", and yet I'm fairly sure it's my most quoted post ever.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

"world beating"

Plucky Grate Britaine is in a very strong third for coronavirus deaths after only the US and Brazil :colbert:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-pub-installs-electric-fence-4320031

Management at a popular pub in Cornwall have put up an electric fence at the bar - to ensure people maintain social distancing.

Staff at The Star Inn in St Just have had enough of people doing as they pleased and ignoring social-distancing guidelines.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Jippa posted:

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-pub-installs-electric-fence-4320031

Management at a popular pub in Cornwall have put up an electric fence at the bar - to ensure people maintain social distancing.

Staff at The Star Inn in St Just have had enough of people doing as they pleased and ignoring social-distancing guidelines.

That’s shocking

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Eararaldor posted:

That’s shocking

There will be resistance.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Jippa posted:

Cornwall live is an horrendous little news outlet known for talking bs by the locals but it doesn't suprise me one bit for St Just. As someone who grew up there I remember that it had maybe 8 pubs for a population of around 4k people.

St Just used to be a little rough around the edges but it's turned itself with a fair amount of EU development fund money into a really nice place unlike PZ which has taken a nose dive.

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did the in fall off or something?