Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Toshimo posted:

This is so incredibly tone-deaf.

I don't go out and lecture Amazon warehouse workers on the ethics of taking a job to feed their kids, especially in a cratering economy and global pandemic.

I don't know what would possess you to treat the lowest people on the totem pole this way, but get some perspective.
I feel like if there's "lowest people on the totem pole" jobs in the tabletop gaming sphere, "actual play content producer whose content has enough traction that it actually generates an income beyond beer money" ain't it.

For people whose livelihood is specifically dependent on the income of their actual play content, sure, these are important considerations.

What are the portion, in the field, of people who are in that position, vs. people who have a day job and do this stuff essentially as a hobby or a non-essential side hustle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 22, 2020

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I dunno if I'm super comfortable with the idea that it's okay for creators to work with toxic things just because they need money. I, too, need money but if I chose to make money by associating myself with openly toxic assholes then I don't think my decisions being questioned and me being held accountable for my choices would be out of line, even if those toxic assholes will let me make money easier/in a way I prefer to.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there such a thing as a non-essential side hustle in this economy? I'm following quite a few very small-time content creators who've found themselves leaning more heavily into their "side hustle" because they got furloughed or fired or downsized or what not.
Depends on the economy you exist in (the USA is not the world), depends on the nature of the day job. I'm aware of several AP streamers whose day jobs are entirely outside of the tabletop RPG industry/outside of creative industries altogether, are well remunerated there, and do this stuff essentially as a creative outlet.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There are also other versions of Dungeons & Dragons you could stream if you absolutely need the name recognition.

I don't give a poo poo about AP streams in general, but I'd probably tune in to 2e AD&D or B/X just to see it played.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Darwinism posted:

I dunno if I'm super comfortable with the idea that it's okay for creators to work with toxic things just because they need money. I, too, need money but if I chose to make money by associating myself with openly toxic assholes then I don't think my decisions being questioned and me being held accountable for my choices would be out of line, even if those toxic assholes will let me make money easier/in a way I prefer to.

I personally don't have it in me to get mad about that poo poo, because I too have or do work in fields that I utterly abhor(I actively vote and campaign against private health insurance, which is literally the field I work in) . Or consume and participate in entertainment that I hate just about everything about the organization that creates/puts it on(shout out to the NCAA, NFL, MLB, and often even the NBA). I use Amazon, and shop at Wal-Mart etc etc

I can't tell people where to draw their own lines without feeling like an absurd hypocrite.

moths posted:

There are also other versions of Dungeons & Dragons you could stream if you absolutely need the name recognition.

I don't give a poo poo about AP streams in general, but I'd probably tune in to 2e AD&D or B/X just to see it played.

There is literally no world where I would ever want to watch a live play or podcast of a 2e or 3/3.5 game, potentially 4e video I suppose, for like a fun tactical game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Even if people you already like were playing it?

Would people realit be like "oh this season isn't 5e? I'm out."

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Darwinism posted:

The consequence of there being no ethical consumption under capitalism is that all choices are between starvation and whose blood money to accept. And the blood on the money you get from a creative enedeavour that also serves to, in a secondary capacity, promote WotC products, honestly seems pretty thinned out compared to, I don't know, megacorporations whose products are sourced in countries where union leaders are assassinated to keep prices down or whatever. Like, at some point we just have to accept that nobody can be taken to task for very minor things.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

moths posted:

Yeah, it's happened to multiple AP podcast lol. I know the McElroys did a bunch of test small games in different systems which all lost viewers and then they followed it up with a PBTA game that did worse than their current 5E viewership is.

People that are only kind of sort of into Tabletop stuff casually don't really care about better systems or what not, they wanna listen to someone play/play themselves that game they've heard about through cultural osmosis and on that netflix show they loved.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

moths posted:

Yes, and it's not even a contentious point. It has happened, multiple times. I don't even know how people can be so willfully blind to this point.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think that's why a different edition probably wouldn't make a difference, though.

The people who are there for D&D brand recognition likely couldn't care less about what numbers come after the cultural signpost.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Yes, and it's not even a contentious point. It has happened, multiple times. I don't even know how people can be so willfully blind to this point.

It's incredibly sad and dumb but yeah it's a Thing. Part of it's probably cultural osmosis and casual fans not wanting or caring about the more niche games in the industry, part of it's probably because those same AP podcasts got people to start their own D&D game and most people just barely want to learn 1 system and part of it is because it's the game being actively supported so if you want to try it out it's all out on This Snazzy New App being advertised everywhere.

Which is why different editions really wouldn't work. D&D editions are not interchangeable in terms of what their tone is and what they provide as far as narrative possibilities go. People interested in seeing wizard poo poo and long form story telling aren't really going to get much out of Basic (or even really 2E) since the its basically a table top rogue like where death is quick and always around the corner and you basically have to have multiple characters prepped in case you instantly eat it cause you're level 4 or lower.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 12, 2020

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Dexo posted:

There is literally no world where I would ever want to watch a live play or podcast of a 2e or 3/3.5 game, potentially 4e video I suppose, for like a fun tactical game.

I'd watch 2e or B/X. I'd rather watch paint dry than 3e.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 22, 2020

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Aside from the D&D cachet, I wonder if 5E is ideally suited for performance and improv because it has so little GM-facing structure compared to past editions and a lot of other games.

No, its just bad enough everyone is fine with ignoring the rules and making poo poo up as much as possible. 5E's whole stance is "we cant come up with something good, you do it!"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

and on that netflix show they loved.

My viewing of Stranger Things is incomplete, but I’d be surprised to learn that they were playing 5E.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I feel like there's untapped appeal of "this is the game Elliot played in E.T., not the licensed knockoff some shitheads made recently."

But yeah maybe that's a bridge too far for viewers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What rules do they commonly ignore?

I know that one of the most popular 5E rules to ignore in APs (that players get frumpy about if you enforce at the table) is that using potions is a full action that basically eats your whole turn and that, no, your rogues still can't do it as a bonus action.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

My viewing of Stranger Things is incomplete, but I’d be surprised to learn that they were playing 5E.

The most direct reference we can find is that they were playing B/X

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The most direct reference we can find is that they were playing B/X

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah if you follow that with the rest of t hat post and my next one it's clear I'm talking about the Brand in that sentence (And then go on to talk about why people are attaching themselves to the modern version of that Brand.) But really miss the point on purpose first.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's not really GM-facing, and I'm also not sure what that has to do with making the performance better. It doesn't seem like it would get more or less in the way of improv, since it's just a minor alteration of the player's in-game mechanical options.

Mechanically, being able to just freely slap potions all the time like they are stimpacks in DOOM takes a lot of tactical consideration right out of combat, because it's trivially easy to recover from anything, and everything is much less lethal, so players get to really ignore combat math/optimization in favor of doofy improv spotlight stuff, because they won't get as punished for it. If you can waste 3 rounds setting up a rube goldberg machine to defeat an enemy because your party is more or less invincible due to freely chugging pots, that makes for better stream viewing, but it's not the way RAW 5e works and I've been at plenty of tables where people got frustrated that they got pummeled by trivial enemies while they tried to mimic AP style.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
what shows are you watching where they run circled Tom and Jerry style around enemies because they infinitely drink potions

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Someone mentioned in this thread the difference between being listed as Dungeons and Dragons on Twitch and generic Tabletop. What would be the penalty for just lying and setting the stream game as Dungeons and Dragons and just loudly playing a separate game? People forget to change their Current Game all the time and I've never seen anything come of it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Toshimo posted:

Mechanically, being able to just freely slap potions all the time like they are stimpacks in DOOM takes a lot of tactical consideration right out of combat, because it's trivially easy to recover from anything, and everything is much less lethal, so players get to really ignore combat math/optimization in favor of doofy improv spotlight stuff, because they won't get as punished for it. If you can waste 3 rounds setting up a rube goldberg machine to defeat an enemy because your party is more or less invincible due to freely chugging pots, that makes for better stream viewing, but it's not the way RAW 5e works and I've been at plenty of tables where people got frustrated that they got pummeled by trivial enemies while they tried to mimic AP style.

What games are you watching, where that happens?

Most potion house rules/homebrew I see is just making them a Bonus action.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i do think there's a weirdly selective emphasis on creatives being responsible for distancing themselves from lovely employers compared to most professions

i'm not sure what the actionable conclusion of that observation is, because gently caress WotC, but nonetheless

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Try reading it this way:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i do think there's a weirdly selective emphasis on brand promoters being responsible for distancing themselves from lovely employers compared to most professions

E:
It's a medium where audiences watch hours of advertisement for a brand. Most companies would kill for this kind of exposure - WotC has leveraged it in the past with the paid Penny Arcade tie-ins, but now it's self- perpetuating.

AP casts are in a unique position to hand out tens of thousands hours of strong engagement eyes-on-brand endorsement. It's frustrating when they're acting to benefit a mediocre game created by assholes for the benefit of a lovely company. Especially when they could be leveraging their influence to normalize a better community.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 12, 2020

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I think what is frustrating me right now about the Industry Chat thread is that I think this is a New Coke situation all over again. People aren't drinking coca-cola because of the superior flavor and better taste. People are drinking the coke because of nostalgia.
If you assume that people are into D&D because of the system, or the cultural cachet, and they're into the AP because they enjoy the people who are performing for them, then no, it doesn't make any sense that Griffin ignoring the rules to Monster of the Week instead of ignoring the rules to D&D is causing a huge segment of the viewership to leave the AP behind. But it does, so clearly people aren't watching APs for the mechanics of the system or the cultural cachet - as we usually conceptualize it.
I think people/viewers/consumers really care about the implied setting and baggage inherit into races and classes in D&D. It's not about what Tiefling means as a setting element in the Forgotten Realms, nobody actually cares about the Forgotten Realms. It's about the queer-coded cultural institution that tieflings have embodied in TikTok videos and tumblr memes, along with horny bards and goliath barbarians.
Basically what I'm getting at is that D&D - the brand - has become a fandom, and telling AP producers to just stop playing D&D is like telling the actors of Supernatural to quit the show because ViacomCBS is such a super-lovely company that has enabled sexual abuse multiple times. Hey, that's great and all that you're willing to make this sacrifice on someone else's behalf in service of your moral stance, but don't be surprised when Jensen Ackles tells you get out of his face.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
No, but you see. These people are millionaires (They aren't, not that it would matter) and can afford to pour gasoline on everything they've worked for and light the match! Maybe I'm not at the level of cynicism yet to be completely heartless, but I cannot expect people to throw years of work down the drain (also years of work done by many other people involved, in some cases).

Last pages ridiculous Olive Garden comparison got really dumb by the end, too. As I've mentioned already, in my case? I'm not the stubborn person trying to only play 5E, I'm over here trying to get my players to consider playing a game that is both similar to 5E but also made by a one-man-show who somehow has managed to produce more steady content than WotC despite that. I would not be shocked if a lot of people are in the same boat, they'd like to run/play another game but their friends really aren't budging.

And no that isn't a good enough reason to sever from your friends, either.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

moths posted:

People watch streamers for the streamer and the game. Here's a quantified example.

Savjz is a popular Hearthstone streamer. You can see exactly when he stopped streaming hearthstone and when he started doing so again.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Videogame streams are a totally different beast though, a different game is going to be thoroughly dissimilar with completely different visuals.

To an audience, there's less meaningful visual distinction between a D&D and GURPS stream than there is between Doom and Hearthstone.

Unless people are genuinely watching D&D 5e streams because they're wildly in love with seeing its mechanics? That seems unlikely af.

E: There's also a really irritating tone that desiring D&D not to be the the status quo is something a brutal assault on AP streamers, when in reality by perpetuating D&D's industry chokehold they're contributing to harming indie designers.

moths fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 12, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I read that and it's not really a good comparison at all - It's not like viewers won't go near CSI because they already like Supernatural.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

moths posted:

E: There's also a really irritating tone that desiring D&D not to be the the status quo is something a brutal assault on AP streamers, when in reality by perpetuating D&D's industry chokehold they're contributing to harming indie designers.

Literally nobody is saying this but you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

moths posted:

I read that and it's not really a good comparison at all - It's not like viewers won't go near CSI because they already like Supernatural.

...well, that’s not quite true. It’s not quite as bad as it was when timeslot competition was all, thanks to online streaming, but people absolutely do choose one show to watch over another, because time in your life is limited.