Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Im trying to remember the name of someone related to music in the 90s.

On napster etc so many rap songs woukd be interruped by this dude who would yell "dj _______!" In the first 30 sec or so, even though he didnt work on the track. Just fuckin every song in rap/hip hop/rnb. Annoying as gently caress in the past but annoying rn bc I cant remember his name. Im pretty sure when he yelled his name it was echoed.

For more detail, i totally get when people like Khaled and Mike WiLL rep themselves on tracks they produced but the dude above was just a parasite.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
DJ Clue

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
Looking for alternatives to ordering on Amazon. Looking for smaller shops who treat their employees better. I typical get: books, non-perishable food items (whole wheat pasta, herbs, spices, canned food).

I've been using Target's curb side pickup for some food staples, but the big draw I had to amazon is that almost anything you search for will be there. Weird things like: nutritional yeast, dried barberries, bulk beans, etc. that don't need 2 day shipping, 2 week shipping is fine.

What alternative websites are there that you use?

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

SA Forums Poster posted:

Looking for alternatives to ordering on Amazon. Looking for smaller shops who treat their employees better. I typical get: books, non-perishable food items (whole wheat pasta, herbs, spices, canned food).

I've been using Target's curb side pickup for some food staples, but the big draw I had to amazon is that almost anything you search for will be there. Weird things like: nutritional yeast, dried barberries, bulk beans, etc. that don't need 2 day shipping, 2 week shipping is fine.

quote:

books

Better World Books, Thriftbooks, and Bookshop. If there's an independent bookstore nearby, order from them.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Hi, I am trying to figure out what features are gimmicks and what features are genuinely good for a small vacuum cleaner. Looking for a reasonably small unit (bigger than a handheld dustbuster but smaller than the mammoth ones I see in department stores) that has one of those detachable hoses with different types of heads for small spaces.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SA Forums Poster posted:

For books, always check ebay first. There's a chance you'll find books at decent prices from actual people. Then you can hit up the warehouses like betterworldbooks and such.

Do NOT do abebooks it's amazon.

Also durr I nearly forgot: if you have a local bookstore call them up. They tend to be pricier but again actual people.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

What is TODAY'S GOAL?

MikeC posted:

Hi, I am trying to figure out what features are gimmicks and what features are genuinely good for a small vacuum cleaner. Looking for a reasonably small unit (bigger than a handheld dustbuster but smaller than the mammoth ones I see in department stores) that has one of those detachable hoses with different types of heads for small spaces.

I have the previous generation of this for the house that's pretty bangin'. It's no oldschool electrolux but it does the job well and ticks all the boxes for weight, multiuse, functionality and maneuverability. The price is p. dece compared to all the gimmicky infomercial vacs.

https://www.sharkclean.com/exclusive-offer/ZU782WBKT/shark-rotator-lift-away-duoclean-pro-with-self-cleaning-brushroll-upright-vacuum/

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Yes. Thank you.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

What is TODAY'S GOAL?

I have the previous generation of this for the house that's pretty bangin'. It's no oldschool electrolux but it does the job well and ticks all the boxes for weight, multiuse, functionality and maneuverability. The price is p. dece compared to all the gimmicky infomercial vacs.

https://www.sharkclean.com/exclusive-offer/ZU782WBKT/shark-rotator-lift-away-duoclean-pro-with-self-cleaning-brushroll-upright-vacuum/

Thanks for the recommendation!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's the deal with abebooks?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Thirteen Orphans posted:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

It's owned by Amazon. Was a startup that specialized in rare/out of print/etc books, got bought by Amazon a few years back but kept the sites separate. Still largely based in Victoria BC (where it started) but I can't speak to the office culture or anything.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 13, 2020

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Hah! I read that wrong, I thought something was wrong with abebooks through Amazon’s storefront.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Speaking of amazon, is there any sane reason why it recommends Nazi mouse books while browsing Jane Austen books? Or is this yet another case of The Algorithm deciding that I am a Nazi? (I have also had to permanently pause my youtube history lest youtube suggestions turn entirely into libertarian ubermensch capitalist screeds)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

If you’re referring to Maus, that graphic novel is not at all kind to Nazis and is actually a pretty good read about the holocaust survivors in the author’s family.

Who knows why amazon is recommending it to you but rest assured it’s not some nazi propaganda poo poo.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Thanks, that's a relief.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

If you're curious about Maus, here's a short video that doesn't go into the story, so no spoilers, but gives you a good sense of the style and themes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQEfL2BfUM

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

CrazySalamander posted:

Speaking of amazon, is there any sane reason why it recommends Nazi mouse books while browsing Jane Austen books? Or is this yet another case of The Algorithm deciding that I am a Nazi? (I have also had to permanently pause my youtube history lest youtube suggestions turn entirely into libertarian ubermensch capitalist screeds)

it's actually a jewish mouse book so don't fear

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

CrazySalamander posted:

Like Jane Austen, it's commonly read in high school so maybe that's why?

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

Like Jane Austen, it's commonly read in high school so maybe that's why?

This was going to be my guess. It's the right time of year for summer reading assignments, so probably a ton of kids buying the two together.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I am looking at building my own desk with something like this https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/karlby-countertop-walnut-veneer-50335208/

Will I be able to find something similar for cheaper if I go to a local lumber supply store?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I got a new couch last year and have been having issues with pilling of the fabric over the last few months. I got one of those trimmer things which helps but the problem just comes up again with a couple weeks. Is there a more permanent solution? Will this eventually just totally wear out the fabric on the couch?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

I got a new couch last year and have been having issues with pilling of the fabric over the last few months. I got one of those trimmer things which helps but the problem just comes up again with a couple weeks. Is there a more permanent solution? Will this eventually just totally wear out the fabric on the couch?

Well you could be like an old lady and put clear plastic slipcovers over it (or custom fabric slipcovers if you're classy). You may also be abrading it with how you use it, maybe you have rough fabrics (like heavy denim) sliding on it. If that's the case, stop doing that. But ultimately it's probably just not a durable fabric that's well suited for a couch.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What did the ancient greeks really think about mount olympus when the whole greek pantheon thing was in its heyday? I mean, it's not a very challenging hike to the top and it's not exactly in a remote location, so was the "home of the gods" thing more of a common fable than a real religious belief? Anyone could have just had a day hike to the top to see what was up there with like a few snacks and a bindle.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Similarly, did anyone actually ever believe the world was flat? I mean, I can see how you might think so, until you look at the sky and see it is clearly curved, or travel a very short distance and see how things disappear over the horizon. Even very early people must have known this. So, when they say, "people used to believe the Earth was flat," I feel like that was a very small sample of people.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I am looking at building my own desk with something like this https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/karlby-countertop-walnut-veneer-50335208/

Will I be able to find something similar for cheaper if I go to a local lumber supply store?

That's a wood veneer countertop, not quite solid wood.. You could find something better at a lumber store but it would likely be solid walnut and therefore an order of magnitude more expensive.

Should be just fine for a desk and much lighter too.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

credburn posted:

Similarly, did anyone actually ever believe the world was flat? I mean, I can see how you might think so, until you look at the sky and see it is clearly curved, or travel a very short distance and see how things disappear over the horizon. Even very early people must have known this. So, when they say, "people used to believe the Earth was flat," I feel like that was a very small sample of people.

You're correct, the idea that the Earth is flat was never really widespread among any major civilization since we started writing things down (until lately lol).

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

credburn posted:

Yes they did, but not since Aristotle. He made the exact same arguments as you in On The Heavens and nobody really disputed it for a few thousand years.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
When writing a letter to a woman of unknown marital status, I want to say the correct term is Mz. Where did I pick this up? Googling it turns up almost nothing. Mrs. for married, Ms. for unmarried.

Where did "Mz." originate? It's driving me crazy. Is it a British thing?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SA Forums Poster posted:

Few people have recommended book options, I'll add Half-Price Books, though it's a crapshoot if want something specific. https://hpb.com/home?&size=25&#product-panel-home

For herbs spices, I love Penzeys, - good quality, great selection, but you will probably get hosed on price because of shipping. https://www.penzeys.com/ Ordering might be a little hosed due to Covid.

Nutritional Yeast, Bulk Beans, Dried Fruits, Whole Wheat Pasta you are likely going to find at a Fresh Thyme or Whole Foods, though I cannot speak to how well they treat employees.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

When writing a letter to a woman of unknown marital status, I want to say the correct term is Mz. Where did I pick this up? Googling it turns up almost nothing. Mrs. for married, Ms. for unmarried.

Where did "Mz." originate? It's driving me crazy. Is it a British thing?

Miss is the traditional form for unmarried, Mrs for married. Ms. is the current preferred term afaik, not sure / unaware that Mz. is a thing.

E: even if you're aware of their marital status Ms. should be used. Miss and Mrs. are pretty misogynistic.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Mz is how you pronounce Ms. Maybe that's where you got the two mixed up.

Messrs. is the most fun.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

credburn posted:

Yes but it’s more complicated than that. A lot of traditional beliefs had the Earth as flat, and while Aristotle proved that Earth was a sphere that proof didn’t go very far (or last very long). And even places that talked about some version of non-flat Earth it was often not the round Earth that we know today.

And even then you’re just talking about the educated elite that had access to the information. To your average peasant, 1) it’s largely irrelevant, and 2) not very apparent (it’s hard to see things receding below the horizon when you don’t have a line of sight long enough to notice)

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Few people have recommended book options, I'll add Half-Price Books, though it's a crapshoot if want something specific. https://hpb.com/home?&size=25&#product-panel-home

For herbs spices, I love Penzeys, - good quality, great selection, but you will probably get hosed on price because of shipping. https://www.penzeys.com/ Ordering might be a little hosed due to Covid.

Nutritional Yeast, Bulk Beans, Dried Fruits, Whole Wheat Pasta you are likely going to find at a Fresh Thyme or Whole Foods, though I cannot speak to how well they treat employees.

I love Penzeys spices, but recently their prices seem to have gotten out of control--maybe it's my imagination. They've always been pricier than a lot of places, but the quality often makes up for it, but it seems to be harder for me to justify the price differential now.

Thanks for reminding me of HPB, though--I used to shop them regularly when I lived in a city with a physical store, but never thought to shop them online.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is there a quick tool that can shrink the size of a video? Specifically, if I record a fifteen second long video using Bandicam or even my video card or whatever, I might want to keep it but it's like 1.8 gb. I know I could see a 100 mb or smaller video of which would to me have no discernible difference in quality, but I can't seem to find something that can do that. Surely there's a common tool people use? Since so many people capture their whatsits and whatnots.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

credburn posted:

Is there a quick tool that can shrink the size of a video? Specifically, if I record a fifteen second long video using Bandicam or even my video card or whatever, I might want to keep it but it's like 1.8 gb. I know I could see a 100 mb or smaller video of which would to me have no discernible difference in quality, but I can't seem to find something that can do that. Surely there's a common tool people use? Since so many people capture their whatsits and whatnots.

Handbrake

E: it has infinite options but I think when I used to rip and encode I'd use something like constant quality = 12 and it was plenty fine, overkill even. But that was years ago and I might be misremembering

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Whole Foods is owned by Amazon, so shopping there isn’t a good way of avoiding Amazon.

If it were me, I would find a local grocery store with unionized employees and order delivery from them for the food items. If possible.

I live in a city and thus have the ability to buy almost everything at an actual store, which I know is kind of a luxury, but gently caress Amazon.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

1) gently caress Amazon

2) When it becomes prohibitively expensive to buy from not-amazon sources, I hold my nose and do it. It helps to remember that you are one person and there are like, a billion people buying from amazon so they don't "realistically" notice the difference.

3) You still have to find the line where you're comfortable and I can't judge anyone for avoiding amazon or buying from it, it's a personal choice, good luck.

4) If you work for amazon and have any power in that company either make things change via getting a union going or whatever or find another job, I am judging you.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Just finished the guitar, what instrument should I learn next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Just finished the guitar, what instrument should I learn next?

Trombone.

...okay the trumpet is more versatile, but yeah try one of the brass instruments they sound cool and utilize different muscles so it's a whole new experience.