Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Having never served on a carrier, I can't confirm.

But I've always been told the most accurate portrayal of life on a CVN is the first two seasons of Battlestar Galactica. :v:

Are we counting the PBS mini series where the sexual harrassment PO gets busted for frat and that poor doughy seaman gets his heart broken by the teenage girl he met at the drive through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ron Jeremy posted:

Are we counting the PBS mini series where the sexual harrassment PO gets busted for frat and that poor doughy seaman gets his heart broken by the teenage girl he met at the drive through?

Not to mention the appallingly moto CMC who walks around calling everyone Shipmate. BSG lifts a lot of the terminology and superficial elements from carrier life, but the PBS series has some surprisingly candid depictions of the people.

Also, while it's a little dated, The Final Countdown has some great depictions of carrier life and operations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'd like to offer some nuanced critique of Carrier, but I've never been able to make it half way through the first episode.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Just reporting in to say retirement is awesome, and Florida's med weed is awesome too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

King of Bees posted:

Just reporting in to say retirement is awesome, and Florida's med weed is awesome too.

Watch out for COVID.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Bonhomme Richard has a 3-Alarm fire in port in SD.

https://twitter.com/GreggFavre/status/1282376995117113347?s=20

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh poo poo

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ugh poor guys and gals.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Goddamn. I spent a ton of time on BHR back when she was in Sasebo. I hope everyone is ok.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This Chris Cavas thread has updates.

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1282380677653176320

Note esp.

https://twitter.com/AvTirpitz/status/1282380842744967169

This guy:
https://twitter.com/Byron230/status/1282386326919303175

is talking about a fire on a Jacksonville car carrier, not about the Bonhomme Richard. (He mentions that downthread.)

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I've got a friend down in SD. She's taking pictures and sending them over to me and giving updates on what's happening with other ships. It is not good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The photos I've seen no-poo poo remind of all those carriers hit by kamikazes. The BHR is gonna need millions in repair if she's even repairable at the end of this.

Thank God there's only been injuries reported, no deaths. Hope it stays that way.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Jesus Christ, hoping everyone makes it out of there okay.

I don't know a lot about ships, but I've been watching the news chopper livestream for a half-hour, a lot of white and grey smoke started in the midsection of the ship, but the past few minutes there's been black smoke pouring out of the aft. Does that mean a fire is moving and consuming more volatiles?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I'm always surprised when they want to send shoreside firefighters onto ships. I wouldn't send anyone onboard if they weren't familiar with the vessel.

Sounded like they were trying to hit it with foam at one point. Is there no fixed system on Navy ships or was it disabled due to maintenance?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The fire suppression system failed, according to rumor at any rate.

lightpole posted:

I'm always surprised when they want to send shoreside firefighters onto ships. I wouldn't send anyone onboard if they weren't familiar with the vessel.

San Diego's a big port for warships, freighters, and cruise ships. San Diego fire presumably has special units for assisting with fires on ship.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

lightpole posted:

Sounded like they were trying to hit it with foam at one point. Is there no fixed system on Navy ships or was it disabled due to maintenance?

I saw a quote saying 200 people on board, insinuating that it's a standard Sunday Duty Day and that no major operations were planned.

There is plenty of fixed fire suppression on Navy ships (in the Hangar Bay). The first post I saw insinuated both that they heard that it was both "below decks" and "in the hangar bay". Based on the images I'd say engine or fuel fire.

e: Or electrical that noone noticed for like 2 hours.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Things:

I can smell this from my house.

It looks like she's in SRA so she'll have no real ordnance onboard.

Based on the size and the fact that they pulled all of the fire fighters off, there's a good chance she'll be a loss.

This sucks.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The fire suppression system failed, according to rumor at any rate.

San Diego's a big port for warships, freighters, and cruise ships. San Diego fire presumably has special units for assisting with fires on ship.

When we did shipboard firefighting training, it was at a civilian place in Bothell (WA).

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
You're required to train with shore side Fire Fighters during yard periods per the NSTM 555 because of what happened with the USS Miami. So that part makes absolute sense to me. Ships do have several installed FF systems too. We have AFFF foam, Halon/HFP, and water mist systems depending on the ship. Halon and HFP are only installed in certain spaces though, and depending on where this started, there's a real chance it was in a space that didn't have an installed system.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Current word I'm hearing is they're prepping to clear the other ships on that pier and shift fully to defense/containment until it burns itself out.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

The Valley Stared posted:

You're required to train with shore side Fire Fighters during yard periods per the NSTM 555 because of what happened with the USS Miami. So that part makes absolute sense to me. Ships do have several installed FF systems too. We have AFFF foam, Halon/HFP, and water mist systems depending on the ship. Halon and HFP are only installed in certain spaces though, and depending on where this started, there's a real chance it was in a space that didn't have an installed system.

I would be nervous about sending engine department people into the engine room for a fire and they would be intimate with it. The Henry called out SFFD but Ben and Claudia had already pulled the CO2 by the time they get to the vessel. Their next move was to let it burn itself out over sending people in. Attacking would have been about a 15-20 min with another 5-10 min for travel I figure but we only get the 30 min bottles.

Being able to train onboard would help but it wouldn't give them the muscle memory/intimate familiarity of the vessel I would want if I cant see anything is all.

Edit: I guess I'm just a part time firefighter so the full time may be more comfortable?

lightpole fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 12, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hope they had a good duty section on today. Could not imagine something like this happening inport

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

Current word I'm hearing is they're prepping to clear the other ships on that pier and shift fully to defense/containment until it burns itself out.

Goodness gracious

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Got dam

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ManMythLegend posted:

Jesus poo poo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
:rip:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hope they had a good duty section on today. Could not imagine something like this happening inport

As a former amphib sailor, I absolutely could imagine this.

e: Anyone familiar enough with the layout of an LHA to guess what is on fire from the pictures?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Looks like there'll be a new chapter in those training films after the Forrestal and Enterprise fires.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Someone told me the Fitzgerald is the DDG next to the BHR?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stultus Maximus posted:

As a former amphib sailor, I absolutely could imagine this.

e: Anyone familiar enough with the layout of an LHA to guess what is on fire from the pictures?

Friend of mine who's watching this and was on the wasp says it really looks like the entire hangar bay is on fire.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

...That's what I'm hearing from friends.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Madurai posted:

Looks like there'll be a new chapter in those training films after the Forrestal and Enterprise fires.

Don't forget about the The GW Fire

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

SquirrelyPSU posted:

When we did shipboard firefighting training, it was at a civilian place in Bothell (WA).

I did that training! It kicked rear end. My favorite parts were plasma cutting and the box lunch.

Here's hoping nobody dies on Bonhomme Richard. 🤞🤞

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

One of Matsons newbuilds is right next to her

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Dorstein posted:

I did that training! It kicked rear end. My favorite parts were plasma cutting and the box lunch.

Here's hoping nobody dies on Bonhomme Richard. 🤞🤞

Didn't the Essex Bonhomme Richard get hit by a kamikaze and nearly was sunk if not for awesome damage control?

Edit: nevermind I was thinking about the USS Franklin

Flikken fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 12, 2020

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Flikken posted:

Didn't the Essex Bonhomme Richard get hit by a kamikaze and nearly was sunk if not for awesome damage control?

I think that was the Bunker Hill.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flikken posted:

That was the Franklin and/or the Bunker Hill.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Stultus Maximus posted:

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1282400715491684354

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Fuuuuuck :(

e: the Facebook grapevine has photos from the pier and inside the ship that look like, at least at one point, they were staging firefighting efforts in the hangar bay. Not clear if the photo of visible fire in the hangar bay is from before or after that.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/SurfaceWarriors/status/1282403842961797120?s=20

Edit: I just saw SURFOR's hangle of Surface Warriors. I really hate using warriors for anything in the military profession, it is a pet peeve of mine