Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Don’t a lot of districts in the south go back in August?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mamas, don't let your daughters grow up to be congress women.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
August 13th is first day in Florida. We are doing virtual school without a doubt.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

davecrazy posted:

Don’t a lot of districts in the south go back in August?

Yes. Tennessee is usually early to mid August.

Colorado schools will probably go back around the same time.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yes. Tennessee is usually early to mid August.

Colorado schools will probably go back around the same time.

My kids are supposed to start back in the 12th. Our district doesn't seem like it has a concrete plan, beyond not requiring masks, because they don't want to make learning "political"

I guess we might have missed the deadline to sign up for distance learning, apparently we were supposed to register by last Monday, my wife is gonna call tomorrow and see if we can still do it, otherwise RIP me I guess.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

We should be so lucky

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

meanwhile Ilhan Omar's daughter:

https://twitter.com/therealbradbabs/status/1281064384282988545

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Good, only minor injuries to the sailors.

https://twitter.com/SDUTdyer/status/1282393188947255296?s=19

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Speaking of twitter, the president is bitching about people saying he golfs too much. He's lied saying that he golfs less than obama. Yes, he has golfed less over the entire course of his presidency (303 for obama and 261 for trump), but on a per year rate it's 38 for obama vs 74 for trump.

This is what is so infuriating about it. Listen to this idiotic motherfucker (scroll down to Paul's video):

https://twitter.com/pablo_honey1/status/1282414599132897280?s=20

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MrMojok posted:

This is what is so infuriating about it. Listen to this idiotic motherfucker (scroll down to Paul's video):

Like, erotic submission is fine if you're into it but I really wish Graham wouldn't have spent decades pulling the rest of us into his kink without our consent.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Could we get a 38 Studios story? That saga was fascinating

That Works posted:

Aww I wish you could tell them sometime.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Summary is Schilling was/is a huge gamer, and upon retirement from baseball was fixated on owning a game company and becoming “Bill Gates rich.” His plan was to make something bigger/better than WoW and let the cash roll in. One little problem is he had spent years being a star athlete, which doesn’t transfer to running a company, to the extent he didn’t know how weekends worked.

MMORPGs are expensive to make and take years, and a brand new game company shouldn’t do them right away as there is no revenue until release. Private investors told him this, the state of Massachusetts told him this, but Rhode Island thought it sounded fine and gave him lots of investment.

So the company got started, put out a decent single player game, then spent all their money trying to make WoW and went bankrupt, as many people had tried to tell Schilling, his plan made no sense.

So that's the basic outline and I don't have any super secret scoops aside from anecdotal poo poo I heard from friends who worked in State Gov at the time as well as one guy who did end up taking a job there.

More background, Schilling starts his studio in 2006 but it was headquartered in Massachusetts. A few years later, the great recession hits and RI goes from needing jobs to reallllllly needing more jobs (this was a small part in why I moved to DC right after I finished school). The governor of RI at the time, Don Carcieri (R) decided that getting tech jobs into RI was a solid way to try get some jobs back, so he directs the RI Economic Development Corp to put together a package to entice 38 Studios to move their entire operation to RI. They're given a $75 million dollar loan as well as some tax breaks to sweeten the pot. The studio moves to Providence by mid-2011. At the time, the studio had still not released any games but Kingdoms of Amalur would be released in early 2012. The key thing with this game, is that IIRC the majority of it was developed by Big Huge Games (same studio that made Rise of Nations), so 38 Studios did a lot of polish and wrap up work on the game but weren't responsible for most of the heavy lifting. Anyhow, as Hyrax summarized, Schilling was a huge MMO fan (he used to post a bunch on Ever-quest forums and such). So the studio was essentially founded to make an MMO, Kingdoms of Amalur was just something to put out in the interim to generate interest and gain some cash flow.

This is where a lot of problems started. First off, 38 Studios only sold around 330K copies of Kingdoms of Amalur when it was launched. And while this is a respectable number for many studios, it was loving abysmal as they needed the game to sell in the high millions before they could even think about making their money back from purchasing BHG. So the game launches in February 2012 and the 75 million dollar loan Schilling/38 Studios received in 2010 has it's first payment coming up on May 1st. At the time, it was only a fraction of the total loan ( 1.125 Million) and it was reasonable to expect that the studio would be fine making this payment.

Well, the State of RI did indeed get a check, problem was, it bounced. So the state government meets with Schilling and the studio leadership to try figure out a solution so the studio can stay in business and RI can get it's money back as agreed. To cut a long story short, it quickly becomes apparent that the studio is going to have a very hard time making that payment. Schilling and the studio plead with the state for more tax breaks and possibly a new loan to keep the studio running. The governor is now Lincoln Chaffee (lol remember that guy? He ran for President for all of two weeks in 2016), who was elected six months after the initial deal with 38 Studios was finalized. He made it clear that he did not feel the loan was a good use of money and that if he had been in charge at the time, he wouldn't have allowed the loan to take place.

So 38 Studios finally makes the first payment doing the corporate equivalent of turning the couch cushions out looking for rent money, though they are now unable to make payroll. Employees are taken by surprise when they don't get paid but are told that it's only temporary and an investor is waiting in the wings to swoop in and save the day. Right after this, the company terminates all the employee health insurance plans without telling anyone. The employees only find this out after one guy's wife was at her OBGYN getting a six month pregnancy checkup when she was told their health insurance was cut off. There was also a matter of the company had told employees in order to get them to move to RI from Mass (it wasn't THAT far of a drive but enough that one might want to live closer to the new setup) that the company would take on their old mortgages and help sell their old houses so they could buy new ones in RI. After the company imploded, it was discovered that the studio hadn't really done anything with those mortgages and multiple employees were now on the hook for two mortgages at the height of the housing market collapse. Fun times.

At this point, Chaffee and the state are telling Schilling/38 Studios they need to open their books before they even think about tax breaks but that there is no way they are getting another loan at this point. A friend was working in the State House at the time and told me that before Chaffee and the state saw the financials, they were prepared to give them a little leeway or another tax break so long as it meant the employees would keep their jobs and the studio remained open. Once they saw the financials however, Chaffee ran out of that meeting room as fast as he could to tell the press there was no loving way the state was going to bail out Curt Schillings failed hobby. Schilling being the rear end in a top hat he is, proceeds to go on conservative radio in New England as well as Fox News whining about the Democrats and how they want businesses to fail. He keeps hammering the lie that the studio could remain solvent if the state gave them the tax breaks without any requirements and maybe even give them another loan. This is the same Curt Schilling who has gone on Fox News to whine about people using welfare and food stamps so the irony is very rich at this point. Fox news and the usual suspects eat it all up until it starts to come out that Chaffee is making the right call here since even if Schilling got the tax breaks and another loan, the studio would still go bust. Schilling later tried to claim that there were multiple investors ready to step in and save the company but didn't because Chaffee didn't give them assistance and made it clear how bad the studios financials were.

The only gossip I got from friends was that the State was willing to give the studio a little leeway until they realized that 38 Studios had spent nearly the entire loan with nothing to show for it. A lot of long read articles have come out about the whole thing and they do a pretty good job detailing just how wasteful Schilling and the studio's leadership were. You also had a lot of people in the State House reasonably pissed off at the previous Governor for helping to push this loan through with little oversight. Friends that worked at 38 Studios had nothing bad to say about their day to day interactions (pretty much all of them said it was a nice place to work and that it didn't feel like it had succumbed to crunch culture) but basically shared the last few weeks of working there were a whirlwind because no one had any idea the company was about to implode. I had one friend who was working for Blizzard but was head hunted for an interview by them. He said it was weird when he went in for an interview. When I asked him why he said that the studio was built like it already had this massive success of an MMO and the vibe he got was that they were spending a ton of cash on perks and the office setup. He ended up not taking the job offer they gave him (and lucky him as it was only about a year before the studios closure).

Oh also I remember in the Games thread, some goons mother was one of the architects of the original loan. He came into the thread defending the loan and proceeded to get effortlessly dunked on. It was funny.

Someone made this wonderful GIF as well and it's worth sharing because oh man, it's gold.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jaguars! posted:

I don't know why this story makes my blood boil and not say disney world reopening or any other bit of the weekend's stupidity. But it does. It reminds me of a comment my dad made once after he caught someone boasting how much better he was than someone else - "That's the type of kid used to spend their life feeling superior to everyone, right up until the moment they were caned for the first time" Dude has spent his whole life opposing anything good and never faced a real consequence. I don't think he'd understand anything but a good beating at this point and I'm ashamed of myself for thinking that and annoyed at them for making me think that. Sorry to rant :smith:

Why are you ashamed for feeling like beating the poo poo out of a gigantic piece of poo poo, who was horrible to his entire family, his neighbors, his peers, and then threatened violence ln innocent unarmed protesters.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lol thank you for the summary handsome ralph, I didn’t know all that

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Like, erotic submission is fine if you're into it but I really wish Graham wouldn't have spent decades pulling the rest of us into his kink without our consent.

Trump is a fast golfer because he has his caddies reposition his ball in a better position. Speed runs are cake when you use cheat codes.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/normanswan/status/1282449363856318465?s=19

quote:

This White House leaks so much that meetings called to bemoan leaks begin with acknowledgement the bemoaning will be leaked, which is promptly leaked...by several leakers in a smallish room.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Parallels between this administration and the Gambino crime family continue, including associates working as confidential informants.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

The last two former senior administration officials feel like Bannon and Bolton

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Trump is a fast golfer because he has his caddies reposition his ball in a better position. Speed runs are cake when you use cheat codes.

wasn't this literally a joke in My Fellow Americans

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

The entire GOP playbook for decades has been loving everybody over and squealing kinkshaming when anyone said anything

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

bengy81 posted:

My kids are supposed to start back in the 12th. Our district doesn't seem like it has a concrete plan, beyond not requiring masks, because they don't want to make learning "political"

I guess we might have missed the deadline to sign up for distance learning, apparently we were supposed to register by last Monday, my wife is gonna call tomorrow and see if we can still do it, otherwise RIP me I guess.

I only just woke up and I'm already absolutely loving furious.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrMojok posted:

He plays “golf” fast by dropping it in the hole and moving on to the next one.

Every hole done in two strokes!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah he's a total cheat. I wonder if he could beat Un

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah he's a total cheat. I wonder if he could beat Un

The man who got 18 hole in ones vs the man who got 17 (the ball bounced out of one hole and it landed in the next).

Whoever loses launches nukes.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/12/redskins-retire-team-name-monday-new-name-be-revealed-later/

quote:

The Washington Redskins plan to announce Monday morning that they will change their team name, three people with knowledge of the situation confirmed Sunday night. The team is not expected to reveal a new name until a later date.

Two people with knowledge of the team’s plans said Sunday that the preferred replacement name is tied up in a trademark fight, which is why the team can’t announce the new name Monday.

It would be extremely on-brand for 2020 if they announced they were changing their name to the Washington Bullets, and thus the trademark fight.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They go for an even worse name

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

DODEA Europe schools are going to be going back to in-person classes with useless temperature checks and "social distancing." Can't wait for the outbreaks caused by children coming back from places like Florida. Added bonus of kids testing positive with COVID-19 but asymptomatic only have to be away from school for 10 days because it is "imperative that children be in school!"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Waiting at the dentist, they're charging a $300 'Covid Fee' for cash patients.

We could have prevented this bullshit by staying in quarantine for another month and wearing masks, but nooooooo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigDave posted:

We could have prevented this bullshit by staying in quarantine for another month and wearing masks, but nooooooo.

No we couldn't have. Lockdown was to buy time to get testing and tracing programs coordinated and functional, but Trump and a lot of Republican governors pissed away that time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

GoGoGadget posted:

Can't wait for the outbreaks caused by children coming back from places like Florida.

The GOP is counting on this, just so you know.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BigDave posted:

Who would handle complaints about lovely fucks like that? State AG? Or is that something you would complain about to the state licensing board?

I know you burn a bit of PPE per patient but it can't be $300 more than it was before unless they get their medical supplies from a turmp turd middleman.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Who would handle complaints about lovely fucks like that? State AG? Or is that something you would complain about to the state licensing board?

I know you burn a bit of PPE per patient but it can't be $300 more than it was before unless they get their medical supplies from a turmp turd middleman.

I could see a $15 convenience fee, but $300? gently caress you.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If I charge more money I’ll make more money

Who says running a small business is tough?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

On the other hand I wish I could charge my users 300$ for being forced to go into the office for dumb poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CommieGIR posted:

Exactly. And only to cash patients, that's not even a fair rub. Just leaving easy money for insurance companies to reap from their customers later on the table.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The DoD brought me in for a dental appointment and all they did was an x-ray and 2-minute exam. No cleaning this year. There's gonna be a lot of rotten chompers over the next year or two.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Exactly. And only to cash patients, that's not even a fair rub. Just leaving easy money for insurance companies to reap from their customers later on the table.

Insurance companies are collective bargainers with large coffers and lots of lawyers. This place is trying to not poke the lion.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fallom posted:

The DoD brought me in for a dental appointment and all they did was an x-ray and 2-minute exam. No cleaning this year. There's gonna be a lot of rotten chompers over the next year or two.

Including mine. Abscessed molar has to get pulled.

Hello sweet lady Vicodin.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Seems like more of a "in case the entire office needs to shut down because people insist on non-essential activities" fee. If they're charging it for emergency dental work that's lovely though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The VA pulled my wisdoms and a few others a few months ago. Awake. Numbing agents only. In under 90 minutes. Ibuprofen and excedrin only after.

It sucked, but I wouldn't take the painkillers even if they prescribed them. Which they didn't, because I have a long history of refusing opiates from the VA and my record probably reflects it. That and admitted weed smoking for just as long. So probably a generic substance abuse label.

Don't let depression eat your teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah my dental office charged an extra $15 for virus reasons, but that was with insurance and paying w/ credit.