Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Aw yeah, that scratches that Regular Show itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

readingatwork posted:

There's a new AS cartoon called Tender Touches which is literally just three people ad-libbing a episode over a Zoom call with no retakes allowed. I'm sure the gimmick will get old fast but I'm not going to lie, I found the first episode pretty funny.
There's also a second version where they make it a half-rear end musical, which is the one I saw and can recommend. It captures that strange mood Home Movies used to evoke, very well

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Aw yeah, that scratches that Regular Show itch.

That’s putting it mildly. It basically IS Regular Show with human characters (not a bad thing)

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

readingatwork posted:

That’s putting it mildly. It basically IS Regular Show with human characters (not a bad thing)

Except Mordecai married Eileen.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Apparently word on the grapevine is that Close Enough episodes were produced as 22-minutes (as in, even fully animated) but got cut down to 11-minutes late in production

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Apparently word on the grapevine is that Close Enough episodes were produced as 22-minutes (as in, even fully animated) but got cut down to 11-minutes late in production

I really hope that footage is released someday

mystes
May 31, 2006

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Why would they do this if it's just being streamed anyway?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

JG Quintel on Reddit posted:

We started out trying to make a 22 minute series, which I had never done before. At the end of making all the episodes, we got a pretty big note to try cutting them in half. I gave it a shot and actually liked the pacing much better. Those originals had a lot of great stuff, but I think it all played into part of the development of the series.

I can't find any information on why HBO (or whoever is making that decision) wanted them to go back to 11 minute episodes.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I really don't buy JG Quintel's explanation. From what I've seen, Close Enough's episodes seem to have terrible pacing. Everything goes by too fast and nothing has time to land and settle. It really feels like somebody cut a finished 22 minute episode down to 11 minutes. There's no way this was preferable to a more leisurely pace that lets the stories breathe.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Why would they do this if it's just being streamed anyway?

Well, at the time of production it was supposed to air on TBS because TBS wanted to make an animation block (I guess going for their own Adult Swim?). Then their plans for an animated block kind of fell apart. The four shows they commissioned were Close Enough, Final Space (moved to Adult Swim), Tarantula (never seen it, apparently got bad ratings and got canceled), and a show called The Cops which starred Louis CK and got scrapped mid production after all that Louis poo poo went public.

So no animation block meant no home for CE (don't know why they didn't just move it to AS like Final Space, it would fit perfectly) and it got sent to limbo. If another season gets greenlit I presume it will be like, actual 30 minute episodes.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 11, 2020

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It's super weird to watch a show about adults with adult-ish issues, with cursing and sex, and have it end with "Cartoon Network Studios".

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I don't think Tarantula ever actually aired.

They tossed the full episode load straight to the TBS site, I never once saw it on TV..

It's.. Weird? Kind of sad? Not terribly exciting. I have a hard time explaining it.

An old kind of weird, old, poor hippy guy, going around telling odd stories that are centered around a hostel/half way house known as Tarantula and the bar inside.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

PicklePants posted:

I don't think Tarantula ever actually aired.

They tossed the full episode load straight to the TBS site, I never once saw it on TV..

It's.. Weird? Kind of sad? Not terribly exciting. I have a hard time explaining it.

An old kind of weird, old, poor hippy guy, going around telling odd stories that are centered around a hostel/half way house known as Tarantula and the bar inside.

It came on TBS around the holiday season of 2017 or 2018 but there was almost no advertising for it and they pretty much just dumped it out. I've tried to talk about it several times but no one else has seen it.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I recall enjoying Tarantula, it kind of has that King of the Hill style lowkey observational humor, but follows a rougher cast of characters in less certain life circumstances. I still quote the show occasionally, it had some great lines.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thing that makes me feel too old, Close Enough ep2 where the "too old to party" guy is younger than me.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I laughed when Bojack did overt period flashbacks to the 80's and early 90's in its first season, but then in Season 3 they did the same thing with 2007 and it sold as an equally foreign time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlfK51tN-xo

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

readingatwork posted:

There's a new AS cartoon called Tender Touches which is literally just three people ad-libbing a episode over a Zoom call with no retakes allowed. I'm sure the gimmick will get old fast but I'm not going to lie, I found the first episode pretty funny.

I'm surprised more AS shows don't take the gdgd fairies "actors ad-lib over cheap animation" tack.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Daikloktos posted:

I laughed when Bojack did overt period flashbacks to the 80's and early 90's in its first season, but then in Season 3 they did the same thing with 2007 and it sold as an equally foreign time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlfK51tN-xo

I was astonished at how precisely they hit 2007.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I Am Fowl posted:

I was astonished at how precisely they hit 2007.

I can't remember anything from that distant period. Is there actually still someone alive who does?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't watched the full season yet but so far the only episode of Close Enough that I thought was hurt by the editing was the stress one. It feels kind of choppy and stuff happens that you don't see, like Josh and co driving a different car or how when they flee the ham place all of a sudden Candace is just with them again.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

I can't remember anything from that distant period. Is there actually still someone alive who does?

I was in 2007 at one point, but I wasn't really paying that much attention.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

After fifty years of 2020, no one can.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I forget if I posted about this before, but a couple months ago it was revealed that The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers(one of the most iconic Underground Comix of the 60's and 70's) was getting a cartoon and they released a "minisode" to promote it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB20_GvGXxY

that one was kinda bleh, they released a new one today that while a little cliche in it's parody is definitely a noticeable improvement over the first;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FSLv3V2RzI

hopefully when the full series premieres in the fall(assuming it doesn't get delayed that is) it'll be even better, cause the original comics for the Freak Brothers are amazing and it'd be a shame for their first foray into a non comics medium to end up falling flat(honestly it kinda amazes me that it took this long)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

drrockso20 posted:

I forget if I posted about this before, but a couple months ago it was revealed that The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers(one of the most iconic Underground Comix of the 60's and 70's) was getting a cartoon and they released a "minisode" to promote it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB20_GvGXxY

that one was kinda bleh, they released a new one today that while a little cliche in it's parody is definitely a noticeable improvement over the first;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FSLv3V2RzI

hopefully when the full series premieres in the fall(assuming it doesn't get delayed that is) it'll be even better, cause the original comics for the Freak Brothers are amazing and it'd be a shame for their first foray into a non comics medium to end up falling flat(honestly it kinda amazes me that it took this long)
Yeeeeeesh, those were really, reaaaaaally bad.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Yeeeeeesh, those were really, reaaaaaally bad.

I'd say the second is a little bit better, so I have some admittedly probably foolish hopes that the final product will be something decent

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol @ them dropping "furry" because hey you know

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jesus that first one is dreadful. There's also a weird undercurrent of conservativism in the opening with them reacting to a gay couple and Nicki Minaj like "wow weird!" (Yet not blinking at Trump?)

The jokes seemed stale now, I can't imagine how they'll be in 10 years.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i've never gone so quickly from learning about a thing to not wanting to know any more about that thing

the idea of a FFFB reboot is tempting and the art style is workable but gently caress, whoever wrote these is absolutely not at all getting what made the comics so popular. it feels like any generic adult cartoon with nothing to say, and it's a waste to squander the ur-hippie stereotype on something this bland. was the intent of this just to try to capture some audience by rebooting a sixty year old obscure franchise based around comical substance abuse?

the original comics, if you've never read them, are about these three dudes slumming it up in late 60's san francisco and generally viewing the world through an anti-authoritarian and very stoned lens. half of the work is generally social commentary about what it's like to be poor and restless while hating The Man in america, the other half is gentle ribbing of the hippie movement for being more interested in getting high than social change. i'm really not sure what part of this you could reboot - if you want to mock The Man, then a group of literal hippies from 1968 are going to be out of place in a modern setting, and if you want to make fun of the counterculture then it's going to be weird to have a bunch of literal hippies doing it

i feel like the only way this would work is if you updated the characters a bit to fit better in a modern setting and made it an observational slice of life thing. just jamming the freak bros as is into any scenario other than the summer of love is going to be weird as hell

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

luxury handset posted:

i've never gone so quickly from learning about a thing to not wanting to know any more about that thing

the idea of a FFFB reboot is tempting and the art style is workable but gently caress, whoever wrote these is absolutely not at all getting what made the comics so popular. it feels like any generic adult cartoon with nothing to say, and it's a waste to squander the ur-hippie stereotype on something this bland. was the intent of this just to try to capture some audience by rebooting a sixty year old obscure franchise based around comical substance abuse?

the original comics, if you've never read them, are about these three dudes slumming it up in late 60's san francisco and generally viewing the world through an anti-authoritarian and very stoned lens. half of the work is generally social commentary about what it's like to be poor and restless while hating The Man in america, the other half is gentle ribbing of the hippie movement for being more interested in getting high than social change. i'm really not sure what part of this you could reboot - if you want to mock The Man, then a group of literal hippies from 1968 are going to be out of place in a modern setting, and if you want to make fun of the counterculture then it's going to be weird to have a bunch of literal hippies doing it

i feel like the only way this would work is if you updated the characters a bit to fit better in a modern setting and made it an observational slice of life thing. just jamming the freak bros as is into any scenario other than the summer of love is going to be weird as hell

Yeah it does have a bit of an uphill battle to go through if it's going to end up any good, though hopefully it'll get a chance to find it's footing rather than be yet another one season footnote in Adult Animation, after all it took most of two seasons for American Dad to figure out what worked for example

Also yeah the comics are amazing

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
still relevant today

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I checked out the second one and thought the pop-culture references were bad but then how funny is making fun of Peter Dinklage's height in 2020?

Also how the gently caress did they afford this cast?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
They don't know who Ryan Seacrest is but they're familiar with Game of Thrones..

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SolarFire2 posted:

They don't know who Ryan Seacrest is but they're familiar with Game of Thrones..

Lord of The Rings was super popular with Hippies, kinda makes sense the Freak Brothers would like Game of Thrones

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah it does have a bit of an uphill battle to go through if it's going to end up any good, though hopefully it'll get a chance to find it's footing rather than be yet another one season footnote in Adult Animation, after all it took most of two seasons for American Dad to figure out what worked for example
Many shows need a second season to find their footing, and its hard to find a venue willing to sit with something that isn't an instant hit. Alternatively, in many mediums and genres an instant hit will find itself in a "sophomore slump" in its immediate followups, only to return to proper form in its later swing - if it can get that far.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I caught the GoT thing too. It feels like the gag that they're fish-out-of-water 60s hippies isn't something the whole writing team agreed on.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The idea of the FFFB having a "writing team" is a mindfuck to begin with.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
f is for family is basically a period piece, FFFB has a stronger argument to remain a period piece

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
LMAO apparently concerned christian soccer moms randomly discovered Adult Swim and are having a meltdown over it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

readingatwork posted:

LMAO apparently concerned christian soccer moms randomly discovered Adult Swim and are having a meltdown over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61wgJI9EA0U
This is the video they're talking about btw.

Lol, that video rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61wgJI9EA0U
This is the video they're talking about btw.

Lol, that video rules.

Lmao, that’s incredible.