Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Why are they doing it indoors!!! What is wrong with people

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1282118223899561984?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Which is more dangerous for old fat whites, heat stroke or covid?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe graduation ceremonies are stupid in general

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Which is more dangerous for old fat whites, heat stroke or covid?

Por que no los dos?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

i say swears online posted:

maybe graduation ceremonies are stupid in general

I can definitely see arguments for highschool and college graduations as sort of coming of age stuff.

poo poo like "2nd Grade Graduation" on the other hand... And yes, apparently that's gotten to be a big enough thing that working at Amazon I have packed boxes of "The Night Before 2nd Grade Graduation" or "The Night Before Kindergarten Graduation" childrens books.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i still remember how dumb my kindergarten graduation was since i just went to the classroom across the hall the next month

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Someone asked me this morning how much longer I will be here and I just responded with a clip of the opening of the first episode of TWD.

In any case, here is what the rest of the world's Fox News would write about the US in that it is bombastic, but accurate:

https://medium.com/@indica/the-plague-states-of-america-53b20678a80e

Pretty soon I'll start channeling Lead Belly and writing entitled expat versions of Midnight Special about an airplane while drinking light beer at the Hobby observation lot.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

good time to see the hagia sophia

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

good time to see the hagia sophia
Yeah, or maybe finally take a safari as a friend of mine mentioned.

The obvious answer is island, island, island.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1282307733472059393

:thunk:

E: it's weighted properly 👀👀👀👀

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 12, 2020

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Depressing, but true.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

9% undecided means that that’s effectively 52/48 Trump in my mind

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

illcendiary posted:

9% undecided means that that’s effectively 52/48 Trump in my mind

Likely voters is 48D, 43R, 4 other, 5 undecided

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

That's pretty scathing.

Interesting that they praise the leadership of Lina Hidalgo in there, I remember a lot of handwringing about Ed Emmett losing to her in 2018. Emmett was seen as a supremely competent executive official who had navigated the county well through many disasters, and a lot of people thought he got unfairly unseated in the downballot blue wave created by Beto Cant Even Beat Ted Cruz ORourke which bounced every in-cycle GOP elected in Harris Co. Glad to see she's acquitting herself well.

maybe he shouldnt have been a republican

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

isnt that just a runoff pond for one of the refineries?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

zoux posted:

That's pretty scathing.

Interesting that they praise the leadership of Lina Hidalgo in there, I remember a lot of handwringing about Ed Emmett losing to her in 2018. Emmett was seen as a supremely competent executive official who had navigated the county well through many disasters, and a lot of people thought he got unfairly unseated in the downballot blue wave created by Beto “Can’t Even Beat Ted Cruz “ O’Rourke which bounced every in-cycle GOP elected in Harris Co. Glad to see she's acquitting herself well.

I hope she secures another term for 2022, getting sick of hearing only negatives about her from my Republican family members even though I know's she's doing worlds better than her predecessors.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Parrotine posted:

I hope she secures another term for 2022, getting sick of hearing only negatives about her from my Republican family members even though I know's she's doing worlds better than her predecessors.

Interestingly my republican family-in-law are very pro Hidalgo and incredibly pissed off at Abbott. They are even OANN watchers but seem to place self-preservation over ideology. They are latinx so potentially that aspect in play.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Just overhead basically this in public:

---
When mah parents was kids, half of everyone died of polio. We didn't see poo poo when we was kids. Now it's coming back!

That's raht. That's raht.

And point is, you can't keep from gettin poo poo. It's always gonna come along.
---

We're moving from the "climate change isn't real" phase to the "well it just happens anyhow, can't do nothin'" phase, it seems. Rednecks don't think of anything, so this is coming from somewhere, but I didn't catch the disease vector.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Facebook, usually.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, I didn't mean channel, I meant source, heh.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
My mom has had that outlook for at least a few weeks now. I don’t know where she gets her garbage and she spends a hell of a lot of time online and listening to radio to vacuum up the stupidest slop so I can’t really narrow it down for you.

I’m clinging to hope that with Trump wearing a mask they will pivot hard.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
A Vietnamese business owner put up a Black Lives Matter billboard in English and Viet in new Chinatown in Houston. He has gotten death threats he says from inside the community.

Tackling racism against black people by the older generation of Asian people is going to be it's own separate front in the fight for equality.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Asia isn't racist, there are just facts you need to know about the rest of the world when living there. The facts vary by nationality, and are usually most magnified about neighboring countries, but black people never come out on top, that's for sure.

God bless the world's ethnic monocultures, even when they really aren't ethnic monocultures.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

ReindeerF posted:

Asia isn't racist, there are just facts you need to know about the rest of the world when living there. The facts vary by nationality, and are usually most magnified about neighboring countries, but black people never come out on top, that's for sure.

God bless the world's ethnic monocultures, even when they really aren't ethnic monocultures.

Old immigrant Asians are racist as gently caress.

Indian and East Asian grandmas would make a proud boy blush.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Older Vietnamese Americans are also intensely Republican like something happened to them a few decades ago

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

Of course and I never meant to imply Asia as a monolith. This is just a problem that extends beyond the Vietnamese population in the Asian community so was trying to be both expansive and lazily succinct.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My parents do their car insurance at that agency, I remember being dragged there on the way to Hong Kong 4, very boring weekends in high school

Is new chinatown an older name? I always heard it called the International District

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

Old immigrant Asians are racist as gently caress.

Indian and East Asian grandmas would make a proud boy blush.

the owner of my hotel is a rarer tamil nadu immigrant and hates all the other northern indian hotel owners from gujarat etc because of a lifetime of discrimination back home and abroad. i've seen some northerners actually try to "pull caste" on him and he just seethes. he's about as big as a small-r republican as one can get and openly wishes for the death of hindu nationalism and the bjp. one of the better bosses i've ever had lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

something that unites northern and southern indian small business owners is that the word "riff-raff" for black people is pretty standardized

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

My parents do their car insurance at that agency, I remember being dragged there on the way to Hong Kong 4, very boring weekends in high school

Is new chinatown an older name? I always heard it called the International District

I didn't think anyone actually called it the International District unless it was like done on an official work basis, like I had to work a job out there and the email called it the International District. I was very confused at first

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Original Chinatown is the south west corner-ish of Downtown/Midtown. Where the old Sears building used to be. Then the new Chinatown got established out there at B8/Bellaire and eventually it became the ultra diverse area it is as the Vietnamese refugees filtered into the area in waves.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I always thought it was wherever "Pray for Death" and "I Come in Peace" were filmed.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/hossehenad/status/1282498098858786818

gently caress you ted cruz

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

the owner of my hotel is a rarer tamil nadu immigrant and hates all the other northern indian hotel owners from gujarat etc because of a lifetime of discrimination back home and abroad. i've seen some northerners actually try to "pull caste" on him and he just seethes. he's about as big as a small-r republican as one can get and openly wishes for the death of hindu nationalism and the bjp. one of the better bosses i've ever had lol

This seems all sorts of wrong and weird. Gujratis in the US aren't usually Brahmin, Tamils are.

Indians that are Republicans here are always just dicks who want to brag about how rich they are.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

This seems all sorts of wrong and weird. Gujratis in the US aren't usually Brahmin, Tamils are.

Indians that are Republicans here are always just dicks who want to brag about how rich they are.

he's a SC or dalit (I don't know if that's directly equivalent), but I don't ask. all my former (unrelated) bosses have been Patels from Gujarat and they never liked southerners, complaining about food smells and stuff. It wasn't Brahmin, it was more condescending commerce-level "oh my family are the hotel family, let me tell you how things should be run"

also again, small-r republican, think French Revolution. really unique guy, would be a c-spam poster if he weren't 60

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/TexasVC/status/1282342324283101184?s=20

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

i knew a guy from tamil nadu who cursed the north and hated having to learn hindi when growing up. his politics were far left but in a different way from, like, bernie sanders or something if you know what i mean.

haven't been there since the pandemic but there's a tamil restaurant near here that is extremely chill and i will always try to say thank you to them in tamil.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

“The good news is, when you look at the numbers, no one under the age of 20 has died of the coronavirus,” said Cornyn, a Republican. “We still don’t know whether children can get it and transmit it to others.”

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

“The good news is, when you look at the numbers, no one under the age of 20 has died of the coronavirus,” said Cornyn, a Republican. “We still don’t know whether children can get it and transmit it to others.”

My son will be 2 later this week - he got it Sen Cornyn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

My son will be 2 later this week - he got it Sen Cornyn!

how you doin btw