Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It wasn't met with complete silence. People were booing even though they were prohibited from doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I did a quick look around when this match happened and saw nothing. This deserves to be a MOTYC. It is a rematch of their fathers, and keeps going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWdmGqdZoUA&hd=1

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

It wasn't met with complete silence. People were booing even though they were prohibited from doing so.

I literally just watched it. There's a solid few minutes of utter silence from the crowd after the pinfall. They really don't start reacting until EVIL grabs the mic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oil! posted:

I did a quick look around when this match happened and saw nothing. This deserves to be a MOTYC. It is a rematch of their fathers, and keeps going.

Just confirming for the record, this is:

Aereo vs. Villano III Jr in a Mask vs. Mask Match - AAA 3/1, right? Punch McLightning has nominated it as an HM, I'll add your MOTY nomination to it.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

I literally just watched it. There's a solid few minutes of utter silence from the crowd after the pinfall. They really don't start reacting until EVIL grabs the mic.

What were they gonna do, clap? The arena rules were no chanting or yelling. Eventually they just said gently caress it.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Jerusalem posted:

Just confirming for the record, this is:

Aereo vs. Villano III Jr in a Mask vs. Mask Match - AAA 3/1, right? Punch McLightning has nominated it as an HM, I'll add your MOTY nomination to it.

Going to say yes, the Youtube upload is late, but I dout they had more fights aaround this one.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah you know what?

WMOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs. EVIL, NJPW Dominion, 12/07

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Basically I wasn't a big fan of anything that didn't involve Hiromu or Milano.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

After a good night’s sleep I’ve processed the match more and have come to the conclusion that as baller as EVIL’s new music is and as hilarious as the ending was, it didn’t justify an ungodly boring 40-minute match where the first interesting thing happened 10 mins in, the second 20 mins in and then the whole thing just drove off a cliff in a clown car for the last five or so minutes. Trash. Only saving graces were Hiromu, Milano, and the table spot. Even the DICK TOGO reveal came after the match.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
MOTYC - NEVER Openweight Championship: Shingo Takagi (c) vs SHO [Dominion, 7/12]
It was pretty much exactly what everyone expected it to be, and that's a good thing. I wasn't as big as everybody else on their previous 2 matches (still liked them a lot, just felt they were a tad underwhelming for how much the rivalry's been built up). This one definitely delivered, though.

HM - IWGP Tag Team Championship: Golden Aces (c) vs Dangerous Tekkers [Dominion, 7/12]
I felt the action got kind of muddy and nondescript in the middle, and by the last third of the match or so it got real obvious who was winning, but it was still a lot of fun. Zack and Taichi are a wonderful team.

HM - IWGP & IWGP IC Championships: Tetsuya Naito (c) vs EVIL [Dominion, 7/12]
I'm still extremely conflicted on this match. It's by no means a MOTYC. It absolutely felt stretched out. Even as a Naito fan I'm not loving blind, and I can see the guy's lost a step in the last year or two, but he's absolutely still capable of having great matches. I just don't think he is nearly as well suited to 40 minute epics as Okada or Tanahashi, but I think this one is more on Gedo though. He seems fixated on that being the standard, despite some guys like Naito being far better at doing a faster paced 15-20 minute match. Switchblade I think is somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. EVIL as well is much better in shorter, hard hitting brawls, and he was essentially tasked with doing a completely new style for two main events in a row. The interference... whatever. If you're expecting a main event with someone from non-Elite BC to happen with no shenanigans you're insanely naive. The muted crowd response also hurt it but I can't really hold that against the match too much, I can tell they wanted to boo the poo poo out of EVIL. At the end of the day what saved this match from not rating (It's nowhere near bad enough for a WMOTYC imo, even if you're ignoring WWE wrecking the grading curve and judging it purely by New Japan standards; let's not forget Jado/Yano also happened this year) is Hiromu. The overarching story of Hiromu having the one thing he's wanted all year (and even further back than that apparently) taken from him over and over until he devolves into a screaming mess at the end of the show was pitch perfect.

This maybe belongs in the New Japan thread but whatever, gently caress that thread right now. If Naito gets another shot at a decent run, that'd be great, but if this is it for Naito's run at the top then that's fine too. He got his moment and he's more than made his mark, and I'm sure he's probably ok with going out in service of elevating his two kouhai as mainstays of the company.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HM
5th July
Dragon Gate Hopeful Gate
BxB Hulk, Big R Shimizu & Eita vs Kai, Strong Machine J & YAMATO

The base level of DG multi-man tags is so high that most of them could honestly be at or near HM level but this stood out.

Dragon Kid & Shuji Kondo vs Ben K & Jason Lee from the same show is also well worth watching but I'm not HMing it, it's a tiny bit short but really fun.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

After sleeping on it, nth this.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

With great pride I say that at the midway point of the year, wrestler of the year Taichi has:

One singles MOTY
One tag MOTY
Two almost-MOTYs
One singles HM
Two tag HMs
No WMOTY

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

I'm still extremely conflicted on this match. It's by no means a MOTYC. It absolutely felt stretched out. Even as a Naito fan I'm not loving blind, and I can see the guy's lost a step in the last year or two, but he's absolutely still capable of having great matches. I just don't think he is nearly as well suited to 40 minute epics as Okada or Tanahashi, but I think this one is more on Gedo though. He seems fixated on that being the standard, despite some guys like Naito being far better at doing a faster paced 15-20 minute match. Switchblade I think is somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. EVIL as well is much better in shorter, hard hitting brawls, and he was essentially tasked with doing a completely new style for two main events in a row. The interference... whatever. If you're expecting a main event with someone from non-Elite BC to happen with no shenanigans you're insanely naive. The muted crowd response also hurt it but I can't really hold that against the match too much, I can tell they wanted to boo the poo poo out of EVIL. At the end of the day what saved this match from not rating (It's nowhere near bad enough for a WMOTYC imo, even if you're ignoring WWE wrecking the grading curve and judging it purely by New Japan standards; let's not forget Jado/Yano also happened this year) is Hiromu. The overarching story of Hiromu having the one thing he's wanted all year (and even further back than that apparently) taken from him over and over until he devolves into a screaming mess at the end of the show was pitch perfect.

This maybe belongs in the New Japan thread but whatever, gently caress that thread right now. If Naito gets another shot at a decent run, that'd be great, but if this is it for Naito's run at the top then that's fine too. He got his moment and he's more than made his mark, and I'm sure he's probably ok with going out in service of elevating his two kouhai as mainstays of the company.

I'll NTH an HM after sleeping on it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Chris James 2 posted:

With great pride I say that at the midway point of the year, wrestler of the year Taichi has:

One singles MOTY
One tag MOTY
Two almost-MOTYs
One singles HM
Two tag HMs
No WMOTY

Just think what he'd have racked up if New Japan hadn't taken 4 months off

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lmfao at the small time mentality of posting a week in the life of ishii and calling it an amazing half year

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rarity posted:

Yeah you know what?

Nthing because

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Rarity posted:

Yeah you know what?

Yeah ngl I initially rolled my eyes at this but the more I reflect on this match the more I feel the need to Nth this.

It was nothing. It was 40 minutes of loving nothing. It had a handful of things that amused me, yes, but that doesn't really make up for the bulk of the match just being a big waste of time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah if they'd cut it down to around 25 minutes I'd feel a lot better about it but it felt like it went long for the sake of going long because it was Dominion and they felt like the show needed to run a certain length but instead it just left Naito and EVIL trying to fill time with nothing to do. Easily my least favourite New Japan main event since last year's Dominion.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah ngl I initially rolled my eyes at this but the more I reflect on this match the more I feel the need to Nth this.

It was nothing. It was 40 minutes of loving nothing. It had a handful of things that amused me, yes, but that doesn't really make up for the bulk of the match just being a big waste of time.

A match that starts with the babyface pounding his former friend's face into a table, has a table spot so good that the ref warning off the heel causes the crowd to explode in applause, featurs two sets of run ins and a reveal (on top of the usual big moves and near falls) apparently was "loving nothing." OK.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

MassRafTer posted:

A match that starts with the babyface pounding his former friend's face into a table, has a table spot so good that the ref warning off the heel causes the crowd to explode in applause, featurs two sets of run ins and a reveal (on top of the usual big moves and near falls) apparently was "loving nothing." OK.

maybe you should start counting off the things that happened and listing them on grappl to convince people it was a good match

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Yeah if they'd cut it down to around 25 minutes I'd feel a lot better about it but it felt like it went long for the sake of going long because it was Dominion and they felt like the show needed to run a certain length but instead it just left Naito and EVIL trying to fill time with nothing to do. Easily my least favourite New Japan main event since last year's Dominion.

I think you need to clarify this as "least favourite major show New Japan main event..." or I'm going to list a bunch of main events from New Beginning In USA & World Tag League (remember EVIL & Sanada vs Mikey Nicholls & Jeff Cobb? coz I sure don't)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

forkboy84 posted:

I think you need to clarify this as "least favourite major show New Japan main event..." or I'm going to list a bunch of main events from New Beginning In USA & World Tag League (remember EVIL & Sanada vs Mikey Nicholls & Jeff Cobb? coz I sure don't)

go for it no one is stopping you it's not like we dont just list off every WWE main event

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

maybe you should start counting off the things that happened and listing them on grappl to convince people it was a good match

When someone says "loving nothing" happened in a match and several big things happened in it it is a good thing to point them out. If people didn't like the match that's fine but they should be honest with themselves why they didn't like the match that got so heated it caused the crowd to break the rules and boo.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It wasn't a very good match imo, but it did its job and for loving sure wasn't on the level of the worst stinkers we've seen this year. So I guess this is just goon hyperbole bandwagoning at work again.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

It was a boring, overlong match whose small amount of high points (one of which involved two people not even in the drat match) did nothing to make up for the loving snooze-worthy timesink that made up a good chunk of it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also if a match is so unambiguously dogshit as to deserve a WMOTY you shouldn't have to sleep on the issue to come to that conclusion.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Well sure, if you're going to name the two New Japan tours I make a point of skipping then fine but the key point there is I didn't see them.

MassRafTer posted:

When someone says "loving nothing" happened in a match and several big things happened in it it is a good thing to point them out. If people didn't like the match that's fine but they should be honest with themselves why they didn't like the match that got so heated it caused the crowd to break the rules and boo.

2 minutes of excitement in a 40 minute match does not make a good match

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rarity posted:

Well sure, if you're going to name the two New Japan tours I make a point of skipping then fine but the key point there is I didn't see them.

2 minutes of excitement in a 40 minute match does not make a good match

If people want to make that argument that is up to them, I just don't like to see people defaming a perfectly good match inaccurately. But if this was the worst main event since the Jericho/Okada match last year it was pretty good as that match was also really good.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Ah yes, the match so good that people started throwing garbage in the ring

I am joking, I’m well aware the crowd just wasn’t happy with how the postmatch went. I was there

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Also if a match is so unambiguously dogshit as to deserve a WMOTY you shouldn't have to sleep on the issue to come to that conclusion.

Some really weird stuff going on ITT. Why not? Are you not allowed to process a piece of media you saw any further than in the immediate moments after it happened?

I personally found the match pretty boring and funny in a stupid way when it was happening, but not awful. Afterwards when I thought about it, its result and its possible ramifications more, I started to really dislike everything about it.

People have certain expectations of the main event of NJPW’s second-most important show. To some, those expectations were not met, and because it was a very unusual match coming from NJPW, they needed time to think if those expectations were met or not, or if it was weird enough to make those expectations irrelevant. This is nothing new. It happens when you consume media. I’m sure you’ve seen/heard/read something you wasn’t sure you what you thought about it and then only later came to the conclusion that you disliked or liked it a lot more than what your initial reaction was. People are also capable of changing their opinions on things later down the line, sounds crazy but it’s true

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 13, 2020

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

This is our stupid meaningless list and we get democratically choose what's on it

Like, we ain't having plaques made and mailed out to AJ Styles so who gives a gently caress if we put something on the WMOTY list

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

extradite THIS! posted:

Some really weird stuff going on ITT. Why not? Are you not allowed to process a piece of media you saw any further than in the immediate moments after it happened?

I personally found the match pretty boring and funny in a stupid way when it was happening, but not awful. Afterwards when I thought about it, its result and its possible ramifications more, I started to really dislike everything about it.

People have certain expectations of the main event of NJPW’s second-most important show. To some, those expectations were not met, and because it was a very unusual match coming from NJPW, they needed time to think if those expectations were met or not, or if it was weird enough to make those expectations irrelevant. This is nothing new. It happens when you consume media. I’m sure you’ve seen/heard/read something you wasn’t sure you what you thought about it and then only later came to the conclusion that you disliked or liked it a lot more than what your initial reaction was. People are also capable of changing their opinions on things later down the line, sounds crazy but it’s true

Because if a match in itself is going to be a contender for literally the worst one of the entire year there should be something so obviously and offensively bad about it that it shouldn't take any great amount of thought to identify. This is not the thread for the best and worst booking decisions of the year, after all.

Neodoomium posted:

This is our stupid meaningless list and we get democratically choose what's on it

Like, we ain't having plaques made and mailed out to AJ Styles so who gives a gently caress if we put something on the WMOTY list

People are also allowed to disagree with your opinion, hth.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
We nominate a lot of things so a plaque would be hard to do but I should print up a big banner of the OP and send it to AJ Styles and no one else.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Cerebral Bore posted:

Because if a match in itself is going to be a contender for literally the worst one of the entire year there should be something so obviously and offensively bad about it that it shouldn't take any great amount of thought to identify. This is not the thread for the best and worst booking decisions of the year, after all.

People are also allowed to disagree with your opinion, hth.

I agree

Remove Edge/Orton WM immediately.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The match was very good

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

There were 25 fouls and the crowd didn't break the rules about making noise enough

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
5th July
2AW Launching Business 1st Anniversary GRAND SLAM
TKP Garden City, Chiba
2AW Openweight Title
Yuji Okabayashi vs Ayato Yoshida

If you watch New Japan you should remember Yoshida from his short but fun run there from 2018 to 2019, including a fun Young Lion tag team with Shota Umino. Well, that fell apart when TAKA Michinoku's personal life caused step down from K-Dojo, which rebranded itself as 2AW. But don't worry for him, he's turned up on some Big Japan shows, he's obviously worked regularly for 2AW & now he is a featured part of the All Japan stable JIN. Anyway, here he is the homegrown lad challenging the veteran outsider for the company's title. Okabayashi is a big beefy fella from the Big Japan Strong division, he's one half of one of the greatest tag teams in the world today, Strong BJ with Daisuke Sekimoto. That's all you really need to know. Well, that & it's a very good wrestling match featuring big meaty chops & lariats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nRikmONpuE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
5th July
2AW Launching Business 1st Anniversary GRAND SLAM
TKP Garden City, Chiba
2AW Openweight Title
Yuji Okabayashi vs Ayato Yoshida

If you watch New Japan you should remember Yoshida from his short but fun run there from 2018 to 2019, including a fun Young Lion tag team with Shota Umino. Well, that fell apart when TAKA Michinoku's personal life caused step down from K-Dojo, which rebranded itself as 2AW. But don't worry for him, he's turned up on some Big Japan shows, he's obviously worked regularly for 2AW & now he is a featured part of the All Japan stable JIN. Anyway, here he is the homegrown lad challenging the veteran outsider for the company's title. Okabayashi is a big beefy fella from the Big Japan Strong division, he's one half of one of the greatest tag teams in the world today, Strong BJ with Daisuke Sekimoto. That's all you really need to know. Well, that & it's a very good wrestling match featuring big meaty chops & lariats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nRikmONpuE

2nd