Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

Many regions peopled by Greeks named the location of highest elevation after Olympus. No one thought zues lived on their local mountain

Yeah like Pericles's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Many regions peopled by Greeks named the location of highest elevation after Olympus. No one thought zues lived on their local mountain

I do like how people just assume "People in old times were so stupid compared to us." People back then were just as stupid as we are now. We laugh because oh, they thought sickness was caused by demons living in your stomach.

In 1000 years, they'll be laughing at us because we thought sickness was caused by the latest wireless internet standard.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah like Pericles's head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bw1a_O2m48

We stand on the shoulders of giants, they did too. We have the benefit of a few more giants, but yeah, someday we will be part of the pile instead of the top, and folk will look down on us. We won’t care though

GlobglogGroAbgalab has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Jul 13, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here is a stupid thing I just made.

It is very stupid, yet I do not apologize for it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/andiesmith/status/1282144472172830721

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Actually it was the mountain of Olympus :smugmrgw:

The joke is that it's not the Mount Olympus on Earth, but the one on Mars

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The joke is that it's not the Mount Olympus on Earth, but the one on Mars

Mars, on Olympus, on Mars.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Mars, on Olympus, on Mars.

Was Atlas on Olympus

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Somfin posted:

Was Atlas on Olympus

:shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Somfin posted:

Was Atlas on Olympus

No, he fought against to Olympians. Atlas carried the skies. So... Mars, on Olympus, on Mars, in space, on Atlas, on Gaia.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No, he fought against to Olympians. Atlas carried the skies. So... Mars, on Olympus, on Mars, in space, on Atlas, on Gaia.
wh... when the walls fell?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

wh... when the walls fell?

Well that or a hell of an orgy.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Temba, his legs (very) wide.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's the Greek gods, what do you think

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't this already a thing? Salmon, lime, eggplant color, etc. Casual sexism aside,

pretty sure i'm not colorblind but--working with this macbook--of the eight greens there are really only three distinct greens? honeydew is obviously lighter than lime, but lime, "spring", "flora", and sea foam are only distinct if you're in a program that can specify by percentage. Same for "clover", "fern", and "moss". "Spindrift" and turquoise in the bluish territory, lavender and "bubblegum" for the light purples.

maybe this is on me but that's a whole bunch of "definitely not real colors" that are not distinct from each other.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It would help if they were in some kind of order instead of wherever

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And I'm just wondering where chartreuse fits in.

Though I think the lowkey joke in Daria was that Quinn was the only member of The Fashion Club with actual interest and knowledge in fashion and coordination, while the rest just blindly followed trends and used it as an excuse to flaunt being attractive, well-off and popular.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Because there's the real physical mountain, and there's the Heavenly Olympus where Gods live. It was just a generic name for a high mountain, people didn't think gods lived on a specific observable mountain.
fun fact: this is acknowledged in the Old Testament (maybe) way before the Greeks

Isaiah 14:13-14
You said to yourself,
“I will climb up to the sky.
Above the stars of El
I will set up my throne.
I will rule on the mountain of assembly
on the remote slopes of Zaphon.
I will climb up to the tops of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High!”

this is, of course, generally used as a reference to Lucifer/Satan etc. but in context it's about telling Nebuchadnezzar that he's getting too full of himself just like one of the demigods of the Ugaritic pantheon. Mount Zaphon isn't a thing in Hebrew cosmology but it definitely was in Ugaritic cosmology.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

pretty sure i'm not colorblind but--working with this macbook--of the eight greens there are really only three distinct greens? honeydew is obviously lighter than lime, but lime, "spring", "flora", and sea foam are only distinct if you're in a program that can specify by percentage. Same for "clover", "fern", and "moss". "Spindrift" and turquoise in the bluish territory, lavender and "bubblegum" for the light purples.

maybe this is on me but that's a whole bunch of "definitely not real colors" that are not distinct from each other.

I can see the difference. People don't see the same number of shades so you might just not see the difference. Or it could just be your monitor.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

I can see the difference. People don't see the same number of shades so you might just not see the difference. Or it could just be your monitor.

oh i agree that there is a difference and yes i can see slight variations

it's just so negligible that it's nonsense

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

It took me the longest time to get this dumb pun

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

FFT posted:

ur colorblind mate

ur eyes are BROKEN

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

God I am so dumb.

"Is this some gross incest thing? WTF does mitosis have to do wi---- oooooohhh!"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Zzulu posted:

ur colorblind mate

ur eyes are BROKEN

nah

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CopperHound posted:

God I am so dumb.

"Is this some gross incest thing? WTF does mitosis have to do wi---- oooooohhh!"

I still dont get it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CopperHound posted:

God I am so dumb.

:same:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

except replace my own brain working it out on its own with reading your post in my head

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Cellular division is called mitosis, pronounced "my toe, sis"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

nexus6 posted:

Cellular division is called mitosis, pronounced "my toe, sis"

Thank you. :downs:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I'm not sure what would be more effective in stopping me, the international roast, or the fact that if I went over the border I'd be in NSW

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Why wouldn't they build that wall with the dead koalas murdered by their premier?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Because humanity didn’t really care about sex crimes until it could be distilled into a hash tag, and even then only when it’s politically expedient

Hey I know this is from a couple pages back but what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Just Offscreen posted:

Hey I know this is from a couple pages back but what the gently caress is wrong with you?

I think the more charitable reading of that statement is mocking/bitter rather than the chuddish way it could be interpreted.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Just Offscreen posted:

I read that, as a reply to the joke about Zeus and his many, many sex crimes, as a sort of cynical / bitter observation that human civilization has taken a very, very long time to take sexual assaults against women seriously - and that we're still, in only relatively super-recent years, figuring it out.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here is a stupid thing I just made.

It is very stupid, yet I do not apologize for it.
Neither does Sqirl :discourse:

https://twitter.com/benmekler/status/1282401606068105216?s=21

Just Offscreen posted:

Sorry, sarcasm doesn’t come across text all that well. Was referring to the collective frustration at the perpetual lack of action against abusers, especially when some of the early proponents of the metoo movement have been silent or removed pertinent hashtags from their profile after Tara Reade’s Biden allegations came into the spotlight.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FFT posted:

Maybe you should do an FFT on the color waves and look at the distinct frequencies then.

also the barely distinct colors are probably :thejoke:

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

OSU_Matthew posted:

Neither does Sqirl :discourse:

https://twitter.com/benmekler/status/1282401606068105216?s=21

Sorry, sarcasm doesn’t come across text all that well. Was referring to the collective frustration at the perpetual lack of action against abusers, especially when some of the early proponents of the metoo movement have been silent or removed pertinent hashtags from their profile after Tara Reade’s Biden allegations came into the spotlight.

Yeah, cause wow dude, that didn't read well at ALL imo, lol. Pastry is good and just and fair.

May I suggest a winky faced smile or smth in the future?

Funny picture, unrelated

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

It is a warning against climbing a mountain like Duncan Idaho, which would encourage impure thoughts in an observer