Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

:lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
And to think this epic tale began because Joe Biden murdered Dogbert for being a Republican.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Has this been posted here yet?

This was created by the author of Powerup Comics!, who also did the excellent Unwinder's Tall Comics which this is a part of. You can find the author on twitter at @UnwinderH and the Tall Comics archive at @TallArchive.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e-dt posted:

This was created by the author of Powerup Comics!, who also did the excellent Unwinder's Tall Comics which this is a part of. You can find the author on twitter at @UnwinderH and the Tall Comics archive at @TallArchive.

Well that was extremely fuckin boring, thanks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well that was extremely fuckin boring, thanks.

I dunno, breaking the 180-degree rule so powerfully almost moved me to tears

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People have been posting good PowerUp comics in here, and then Shadow linked the website so I could actually read them at my leisure.

But uh, how long do I have to go before they're good? I'm only in December 2007 so I don't know where to jump.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

RareAcumen posted:

People have been posting good PowerUp comics in here, and then Shadow linked the website so I could actually read them at my leisure.

But uh, how long do I have to go before they're good? I'm only in December 2007 so I don't know where to jump.

I Love Oil was 2008, so

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

e-dt posted:

This is one of these comics where I feel I'm old because I don't get it, but then find out there's nothing to get and it's just poo poo?

Or I'm really missing something?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

mrfart posted:

This is one of these comics where I feel I'm old because I don't get it, but then find out there's nothing to get and it's just poo poo?

What's there to get? Gamer guy is still hung up over games and high-school level poo poo while other people have moved on with their lives. Gamer guy is dissing a dude for working at a grocery store despite it being an honest job.

The joke in the alternate comic is that because the gamer guy is a gamer he loves to save. This can mean both save a game as one might do in a video game to save their progress in case one makes a mistake later or wishes to shut down the game running and then return without losing progress. It can also mean saving money by buying cheaper products. In this case, gamer guy is buying "off-brand" "spam" which is cheaper than spam so he is saving money.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The comic is about how gamers are lame as gently caress

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
that's offensive

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

It's just Powerup Comics "lore".

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

mrfart posted:

Chad is the in-universe author of powerup comics. He makes a couple other appearances as a side character in Unwinder's Tall Comic.

The conversation in that comic reveals that most of the characters in Powerup Comics are thinly veiled versions of people Chad knows in real life; the difference between their portrayal in the comic and in the "real world" offers a revealing look at Chad's relationships with them. It's a multilayered comic, meant for the discerning reader already familiar with the memorable cast of characters in Powerup Comics.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

self-insert manchildren are cool and all but honestly I think wally should give dilbert one of his hands and then they can both use those weird one-handed controllers they used to make for the NES

or they should fuse like goku and the guy with large hair

honestly I'm enjoying gamer dilbert more than I have any right to and everyone I link them to thinks they're garbage, I'm kind of worried that it's not so much that other people aren't getting the joke as much as I, the reader, am the punchline

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

organburner posted:

The joke in the alternate comic is that because the gamer guy is a gamer he loves to save. This can mean both save a game as one might do in a video game to save their progress in case one makes a mistake later or wishes to shut down the game running and then return without losing progress. It can also mean saving money by buying cheaper products. In this case, gamer guy is buying "off-brand" "spam" which is cheaper than spam so he is saving money.

Also note the classic smug-crossed-arms Powerup Comics pose in the last panel

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's been so long since gamers on a couch webcomics were a big thing that it's kinda easy to forget Powerup Comics was a deliberately bad parody of one of those oddly specific genres that's omnipresent for a while if you're in the right internet circles, and the rear end in a top hat manchild 'cool guy' self-insert protagonist is ridiculously easy to parody. (Pretty easy to do the same thing with most self-insert webcomics)

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

organburner posted:

Real Powerup Comics "heads" will know that "not exactly 'Hormel'" is a reference to the catchprase "not exactly 'normal'" originally from this comic, and "I know how you love to save" is a reference to the catchphrase "I know how you love to game" originally from this comic. The latter is part of the arc which brought us Powerup Comics' undoubted masterpiece: the Shana comic.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
RIP.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
These comics are garbage stop posting them

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I sincerely hope people are forwarding these to Scott Adams and he gets pissed off about how much better they are than his poo poo on a daily basis

dude would probably take legal action so no

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rysithusiku posted:

Agreed, instead, post '2020 is so bad and I'm depressed lol' comics for the millionth time. I will continue with this classic Jerry Cotton©:

https://imgur.com/gallery/d46JMv4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Rysithusiku posted:

the captions are usually unnecessary and flog the joke but I've always enjoyed SMBC. A far cry from garbage imo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I actually think they're alright too, but I had to defend Gamer Dilbert, some of the Wally arcs get a long little-winded, but every now and then the cross-armed stars align and you get one that's absolute gold

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Waiting for gamer dilbert to reference this amazing day in Scott's life

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1282473172852305920?s=19

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I enjoy the ones where SMBC takes the piss out of economy theories. It comes up a lot.

edit: Going back over some of their previous work, I saw this and thought it was nice, so here it is. Warning, long.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Jul 13, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Let's see how fans react to their favourite cartoonist's big day...

https://twitter.com/n0spillbl00d/status/1282490697333923840

Oh.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

extremely love based marriage

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

May she bleed him dry, and leave him to wonder why despite being so smart, and she being only a woman, he never saw it coming.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

May she bleed him dry, and leave him to wonder why despite being so smart, and she being only a woman, he never saw it coming.

It’s entirely possible that she’s just an equally terrible human being. In which case they’ll either make each other miserable or happily poo poo all over the world together.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/everyfan3417/status/1282156860565524482

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

HPanda posted:

It’s entirely possible that she’s just an equally terrible human being. In which case they’ll either make each other miserable or happily poo poo all over the world together.

An instagram influencer marrying a rich decades older man, (possibly for money/fame), being a terrible human being?

That's unpossible!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wimpy could take out Donald Duck imo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He's so casual about it, too

I always thought Everett True using ultraviolence in response to minor slights was a bit disproportionate, but this is on another level. Those old-timey cartoon characters weren't loving around.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wimpy is a stone cold killer, drat

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That's actually missing the third panel, which showed up in the replies.

https://twitter.com/PPDPPL_art/status/1282242026021564416

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

marshmallow creep posted:

I enjoy the ones where SMBC takes the piss out of economy theories. It comes up a lot.

edit: Going back over some of their previous work, I saw this and thought it was nice, so here it is. Warning, long.

I wanted to buy that book, but it's more than a hundred dollars.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

ultrafilter posted:

That's actually missing the third panel, which showed up in the replies.

https://twitter.com/PPDPPL_art/status/1282242026021564416

Straight up gangsta.
:burger:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

E: nm

-Zydeco- has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Jul 14, 2020