Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

8one6 posted:

I'm pretty sure that jeans went extinct or were made illegal in Federation space because they're comfortable and I don't see them ever going out of general use otherwise.

Not unprecedented, polyester was banned because it catches fire in the transporter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tunicate posted:

Not unprecedented, polyester was banned because it catches fire in the transporter

Oh shoot that's why they bet scarves. The polyester is an alternative currency to latinum

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

8one6 posted:

I'm pretty sure that jeans went extinct or were made illegal in Federation space because they're comfortable and I don't see them ever going out of general use otherwise.

Best low key hilarious moment on Enterprise was Silik rocking a leather jacket and jeans for a few scenes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

bull3964 posted:

First lower decks trailer.

https://youtu.be/V3RkBKedKWw

Might be enjoyable. Getting real Final Space vibes from it.

Holodeck waste removal...

Looks like they're making the holodeck janitor article canon

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/blue-stripe-life-4/

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I might be getting my wires crossed, but wasn’t the TNG S8 guy/Lower Decks showrunner a goon at one point?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I always got the sense that there were relatively very few ships in the Star Trek galaxy. Galaxy classes aren't meant to operate in "a wing" because there have only been 7 total in all the shows.

It's probably a lot cheaper to not do many ships at a time, but there's also a lot of plots that only happen because the Enterprise is the only ship in the area, and the relative scarcity of ships makes that all the more believable.

Also the show tending to downplay the military aspects of the Federation.

With the shows being about the ships we tend to mix up Starfleet and the Federation, but as portrayed when we see Earth it seems like the vast majority of the population have nothing to do with space travel.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Does anyone have that list of tng episodes that cuts out the chaff and flops? Trying to hook someone. I seem to remember a previous iteration of this thread coming up with one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Phraggah posted:

Does anyone have that list of tng episodes that cuts out the chaff and flops? Trying to hook someone. I seem to remember a previous iteration of this thread coming up with one.

I'm sorry but I'm not aware of any version that specifically omits dwight schultz

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Phraggah posted:

S1
"Encounter at Farpoint"
"Hide and Q"
"Datalore"
"11001001"
"The Arsenal of Freedom"
"Conspiracy"
"The Neutral Zone"

s2
"Where Silence Has Lease"
"Elementary, Dear Data"
"The Outrageous Okona" (gently caress you, experience bij!)
"The Schizoid Man"
"A Matter of Honor"
"The Measure of a Man" (must watch)
"Q Who"
"Samaritan Snare"
"Peak Performance"

s3
"The Ensigns of Command"
"Who Watches the Watchers"
"Booby Trap"
"The Enemy"
"Déjà Q"
"Yesterday's Enterprise"
"The Offspring"
"Sins of the Father"
"Captain's Holiday"
"Sarek"
"The Best of Both Worlds, Part I"

s4
"The Best of Both Worlds, Part II"
"Family" (basically BoBW part 3)
"Remember Me"
"Reunion"
"Data's Day"
"The Wounded"
"Devil's Due"
"Identity Crisis"
"The Nth Degree"
"Qpid"
"The Drumhead"
"Half a Life"
"Redemption, Part I"

s5
"Redemption, Part II"
"Darmok" (must watch)
"Conundrum"
"Cause and Effect"
"The First Duty"
"Cost of Living"
"I, Borg"
"The Inner Light" (must watch)
"Time's Arrow, Part I"

s6
"Time's Arrow, Part II"
"Relics"
"True Q"
"A Fistful of Datas"
"Chain of Command, Part I & II"
"Ship in a Bottle"
"Tapestry"
"Birthright, Part I & II"
"Descent, Part I"

s7
"Descent, Part II"
"Parallels"
"The Pegasus"
"Sub Rosa"
"Lower Decks"
"Masks"
"Emergence"
"All Good Things..."

8one6 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 13, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wow, Chris Pine reprised his role as Kirk on Robot Chicken tonight.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watched the one where Nog and Jake wind up on the Red Squad ship.

Somehow I had completely invented a different ending for the episode. I remembered Nog eventually turning on the acting captain and leading a mutiny to get the ship back to Federation space.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

I always got the sense that there were relatively very few ships in the Star Trek galaxy. Galaxy classes aren't meant to operate in "a wing" because there have only been 7 total in all the shows.

It's probably a lot cheaper to not do many ships at a time, but there's also a lot of plots that only happen because the Enterprise is the only ship in the area, and the relative scarcity of ships makes that all the more believable.

I always took that "Galaxy wing" line to mean the portion of ships led by the USS Galaxy, not an entire grouping of just Galaxy-class starships, for exactly that reason. I'm glad CGI gave DS9 more flexibility but I was never a big fan of turning starships into Spitfires in the Battle of Britain.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

McSpanky posted:

I always took that "Galaxy wing" line to mean the portion of ships led by the USS Galaxy, not an entire grouping of just Galaxy-class starships, for exactly that reason. I'm glad CGI gave DS9 more flexibility but I was never a big fan of turning starships into Spitfires in the Battle of Britain.

Yeah but we got that one money shot of two galaxy's double teaming a cardassian ship sooooooooooo

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.

8one6 posted:

S1
"Encounter at Farpoint"
"Hide and Q"
"Datalore"
"11001001"
"The Arsenal of Freedom"
"Conspiracy"
"The Neutral Zone"

s2
"Where Silence Has Lease"
"Elementary, Dear Data"
"The Outrageous Okona" (gently caress you, experience bij!)
"The Schizoid Man"
"A Matter of Honor"
"The Measure of a Man" (must watch)
"Q Who"
"Samaritan Snare"
"Peak Performance"

s3
"The Ensigns of Command"
"Who Watches the Watchers"
"Booby Trap"
"The Enemy"
"Déjà Q"
"Yesterday's Enterprise"
"The Offspring"
"Sins of the Father"
"Captain's Holiday"
"Sarek"
"The Best of Both Worlds, Part I"

s4
"The Best of Both Worlds, Part II"
"Family" (basically BoBW part 3)
"Remember Me"
"Reunion"
"Data's Day"
"The Wounded"
"Devil's Due"
"Identity Crisis"
"The Nth Degree"
"Qpid"
"The Drumhead"
"Half a Life"
"Redemption, Part I"

s5
"Redemption, Part II"
"Darmok" (must watch)
"Conundrum"
"Cause and Effect"
"The First Duty"
"Cost of Living"
"I, Borg"
"Time's Arrow, Part I"

s6
"Time's Arrow, Part II"
"Relics"
"True Q"
"A Fistful of Datas"
"Chain of Command, Part I & II"
"Ship in a Bottle"
"Tapestry"
"Birthright, Part I & II"
"Descent, Part I"

s7
"Descent, Part II"
"Parallels"
"The Pegasus"
"Sub Rosa"
"Lower Decks"
"Masks"
"Emergence"
"All Good Things..."

Bomb. Thanks!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, I assumed it was like a carrier group, where one or two Galaxy classes sits in the middle of an appropriate mini-fleet set up with roles to support each other.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I assumed it was like a carrier group, where one or two Galaxy classes sits in the middle of an appropriate mini-fleet set up with roles to support each other.

Would watch Battle Star Trek: Galaxy where after a devastating attack on the Federation a rag-tag collection of ships led by a Galaxy class have to flee to safety and try to find a new home.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Would watch Battle Star Trek: Galaxy where after a devastating attack on the Federation a rag-tag collection of ships led by a Galaxy class have to flee to safety and try to find a new home.

This is a terrible idea and I hope well meaning aliens trap you in a recreation of a poorly written novel.

Stop giving CBS ideas.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it started to stand out more with DS9 due to both the relatively fixed location and the increasingly military plot. It made sense that the Enterprise was generally the only ship in the area because it was working exploration stuff, usually, and it was pretty clear that the Enterprise was able to handle itself solo in most cases.

But it was also no doubt because of $$ more ships = more money for optical effects shots. Nowadays it would be trivial, probably, to do all the space stuff in CGI and to show much higher traffic around DS9 than we generally saw.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

There’s coffee in that singing nebula!!!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Didn't they establish that one of the reasons the Enterprise was off in uncharted space during the Klingon War in Discovery meant to be so that they could galactica out of there if the Federation lost?

That said a Galaxy Class could probably cruise for 50 years to set up the Federation again on the other side of the galaxy in complete comfort.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 13, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Senor Tron posted:

So basically a prequel to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_(Star_Trek:_Enterprise) ?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm reminded of a very minor plot thread in the Culture books. One of the things that defines a Systems Vehicle (their biggest class of ship) is that it's basically a comprehensive cross-section of the Culture and generally anything that the Culture can do, a Systems Vehicle can do. There are a hundreds of thousands SVs, and at any time there'll usually be a few dozen that have volunteered to be Oubliettionaries, which means they empty themselves of crew, just come to a stop in a very quiet section of the interstellar void, shut down, and do absolutely nothing except keep an eye on the news for decades or centuries, with the idea that if there's ever a sufficiently disastrous event that wipes out the Culture, they'd be able to (either in this this galaxy or, after centuries cruising, another one) recreate a civilisation that could genuinely call itself a continuation of the Culture. Even repopulate human mind-state backups out to bodies over time and so on. Just in case.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Are the Culture books any good? All of the descriptions of the series read like "What if starships could cast wish"

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
They’re fantastic and fascinating. The books always follow people at the interface between the Culture and non-culture civilizations.

I started with Use of Weapons and then read from the beginning once I was hooked.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

8one6 posted:

s5
"Redemption, Part II"
"Darmok" (must watch)
"Conundrum"
"Cause and Effect"
"The First Duty"
"Cost of Living"
"I, Borg"
"Time's Arrow, Part I"

you sneaky bastard

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I tried to read the culture book that I think you are supposed to start with, and it had a really weird plot about being stranded on a island with cannibal cultists. I didn't finish the book because I got really busy, but I felt no desire to go back to it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

you sneaky bastard

Lwaxana Troi is the best Troi and I will entertain no arguments to the contrary.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I tried to read the culture book that I think you are supposed to start with, and it had a really weird plot about being stranded on a island with cannibal cultists. I didn't finish the book because I got really busy, but I felt no desire to go back to it.

That's Consider Phlebas, and it's the first one he wrote. He does not shy away from writing about the grotesqueries of "civilization" and typically plays them as a backdrop for anyone who says "Yeah well the Culture is a nanny state and that's bad". Here's your alternative to near-omnipotent beneficence morons!

That said, it is not the best place to start. Start with The Player of Games.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah I didn't like that one, but the few others I read are better. Use of Weapons and Player of Games were pretty entertaining for me.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also, every time they seem to build up a huge fleet, something happens that results in the destruction of half the fleet, like Wolf 359.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

aparmenideanmonad posted:

That's Consider Phlebas, and it's the first one he wrote. He does not shy away from writing about the grotesqueries of "civilization" and typically plays them as a backdrop for anyone who says "Yeah well the Culture is a nanny state and that's bad". Here's your alternative to near-omnipotent beneficence morons!

That said, it is not the best place to start. Start with The Player of Games.

I've tried and failed to get into Consider Phlebas (as my first Culture novel) like three times now. It's been a couple years since the last attempt, but I always fizzle out because of how goddamn boring Horza is as a character.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

8one6 posted:

Are the Culture books any good? All of the descriptions of the series read like "What if starships could cast wish"

People like to talk about the badassery bits but to be honest they're not the focus, they're just the frosting on the cake. The concept is about the struggles and dilemmas that might be faced by a society that has pretty much attained mastery of the physical universe. It's about them going 'should we' and 'how best do we' instead of 'can we'.

Also, yeah, don't start with Consider Phlebas. Player of Games is a good starter. (in fact, most of it was written before Phlebas, but he had trouble finishing Games, and ended up writing Phlebas before he did). Phlebas is an odd one because the point of view is outside of the culture and the protagonist is a bad guy. Not even an antihero, just a bad guy.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 13, 2020

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Pascallion posted:

I started with Use of Weapons and then read from the beginning once I was hooked.

Ah, the full Use of Weapons experience.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

8one6 posted:

"Sub Rosa"

Thank you for including the Howard Family Sex Ghost in the list of indispensable TNG episodes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

curiousTerminal posted:

Thank you for including the Howard Family Sex Ghost in the list of indispensable TNG episodes.

It is an important cultural touchstone in the Star Trek community. It would have been irresponsible for me to leave it out.

Also it has Data and LaForge grave robbing.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I read Use of Weapons and liked it a lot. One thing I thought was neat is that the AI characters were more complex and interesting than the humans, which fit the concept that humanity was governed by entities more advanced than they were. I thought it was cool that he watered down the human characters to do that.

Then I tried to read one of Ian Banks' non-sci-fi novels and realized he's just bad at writing characters, and him trying to write a super advanced being had somehow fluked into him writing a character with any kind of depth.

Anyway Use of Weapons is good. I never got around to reading more of them, I don't think my library had a lot of his work.

His concept of an "out of context problem" was loving radical and is by far the thing that has stuck with me from that book. Basically any problem that defies the known laws of the universe is an "out of context problem", and since the Culture knows all the laws of the physical universe it means it's some serious poo poo.

Picard's dumb evil robot signal should've been something like that instead of Mass Effect: Trek edition.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zonko_T.M. posted:

His concept of an "out of context problem" was loving radical and is by far the thing that has stuck with me from that book. Basically any problem that defies the known laws of the universe is an "out of context problem", and since the Culture knows all the laws of the physical universe it means it's some serious poo poo.

It's less physical laws of the universe and more that it's something that doesn't fit your conception of what the universe might end up throwing at you, something you can't prepare for because it's just not something you could properly imagine.

EDIT: here's his description.

quote:

An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop. The usual example given to illustrate an Outside Context Problem was imagining you were a tribe on a largish, fertile island; you'd tamed the land, invented the wheel or writing or whatever, the neighbours were cooperative or enslaved but at any rate peaceful and you were busy raising temples to yourself with all the excess productive capacity you had, you were in a position of near-absolute power and control which your hallowed ancestors could hardly have dreamed of and the whole situation was just running along nicely like a canoe on wet grass… when suddenly this bristling lump of iron appears sailless and trailing steam in the bay and these guys carrying long funny-looking sticks come ashore and announce you've just been discovered, you're all subjects of the Emperor now, he's keen on presents called tax and these bright-eyed holy men would like a word with your priests.

That was an Outside Context Problem; so was the suitably up-teched version that happened to whole planetary civilisations when somebody like the Affront chanced upon them first rather than, say, the Culture.

The Culture had had lots of minor OCPs, problems that could have proved to be terminal if they'd been handled badly, but so far it had survived them all. The Culture's ultimate OCP was popularly supposed to be likely to take the shape of a galaxy-consuming Hegemonising Swarm, an angered Elder civilisation or a sudden, indeed instant visit by neighbours from Andromeda once the expedition finally got there. In a sense, the Culture lived with genuine OCPs all around it all the time, in the shape of those Sublimed Elder civilisations, but so far it didn't appear to have been significantly checked or controlled by any of them. However, waiting for the first real OCP was the intellectual depressant of choice for those people and Minds in the Culture determined to find the threat of catastrophe even in Utopia.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 13, 2020

8one6
May 20, 2012

Voyager rewatch log

S5 e2 Drone
"... and he has built in transporters and is super smart and the Doctor's mobile emmiter is part of his brain and he has super cool future armor and everybody likes him..."

E3 Extreme Risk
Once again we learn that mental health care in the 24th century is garbage but Voyager did get a cool new shuttle.

E4 In the Flesh
A neat revisit with what to this point had been a purely antagonistic foe with the Species 8472 spy training town. I liked that someone remembered that Voyager was a Star Trek show and they managed to find a non-violent solution.

E5 Once Upon a Time
Cute but skippable.

E5 Timeless
I'm a sucker for time travel stories and it was neat to see the frozen Voyager.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

8one6 posted:

E4 In the Flesh
A neat revisit with what to this point had been a purely antagonistic foe with the Species 8472 spy training town. I liked that someone remembered that Voyager was a Star Trek show and they managed to find a non-violent solution.

Nah, the real charm in this episode was them bringing back Ray Walston as Boothby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Boothby was good exactly once.

It is so freaking lame that there's this special dude that Picard was buddies with that turns out is, like, everyone's secret buddy.