Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Quorum posted:

But the state can still prosecute things if they don't involve members of tribes, it's not like they've had half of Oklahoma deemed not Oklahoma anymore, exactly.

We're still going to have to listen to assholes joking about how the Supreme Court just gave half of Oklahoma back to native Americans for a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Speaking of fantasy maps, there's really a lot to it if you want to be really realistic.

Here are some very well thought out worlds complete with orbits, plate tectonics, biomes, life and more. Super interesting and uh a tad quirky sometimes.
http://www.worlddreambank.org/P/PLANETS.HTM

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Speaking of fantasy maps, there's really a lot to it if you want to be really realistic.

Here are some very well thought out worlds complete with orbits, plate tectonics, biomes, life and more. Super interesting and uh a tad quirky sometimes.
http://www.worlddreambank.org/P/PLANETS.HTM

Oh I love this.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

We're still going to have to listen to assholes joking about how the Supreme Court just gave half of Oklahoma back to native Americans for a little bit

I mean, don't get me wrong, they're welcome to threaten me with a good time :v:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Its just for criminal justice yeah because that was all that was relevant to the case at hand but it establishes a pretty huge and hard to refute precedent for poo poo like taxation and sovereignity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Politically loaded decorating!

Guess where these were made?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is this an old-timey version of that iceberg meme?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Akhand Hindustan?

ButtHate
Sep 26, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The Halayib Triangle, Kafia Kingi and Abyei are a dead give-away for the first one.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Just aesthetically, I approve of this kingdom

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Looks like a kingdom that always gets conquered within the first ten years after the start of the game OP

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
No it's the only kingdom that survives France blobbing up all the way to the end because the AI forgets how to do naval invasions.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I knew that the current administration would ruin the US in the eyes of the rest of the world, but I expected more abstract things like the economy decaying, businesses avoiding America, or diplomatic alliances and unions between other countries growing stronger to the exclusion of America.

I didn't expect it to all go at once. That's impressive.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Looks like a kingdom that Scotland will Diplo annex before it can do anything

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I knew that the current administration would ruin the US in the eyes of the rest of the world, but I expected more abstract things like the economy decaying, businesses avoiding America, or diplomatic alliances and unions between other countries growing stronger to the exclusion of America.

I didn't expect it to all go at once. That's impressive.

Is this some ruling that the trump admin has made, or countries independently barring the US, or something different again?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I thought Americans can go to the UK?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Countries that are dropping privileges for US passports, because since our government is so blatantly and flagrantly not doing a drat thing to stop the spread of the virus, it is a hazard to let Americans run around unchecked.

And it's fully possible that after the pandemic wanes, the privileges won't be brought back because the US has been in decay for a while and can't be trusted to not pull the same thing again.

The dollar is not going to do well, and I feel like a lot of people living abroad may renounce their citizenship for tax reasons if they can.

Delthalaz posted:

I thought Americans can go to the UK?

They can, but they're required to go through quarantine like a dog.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Some states are even forcing quarantine on people coming in from other states.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Grape posted:

Yeah, and I'm glad about it. Though I somehow doubt the NJ State Troopers are keeping tabs on everyone that's supposed to be under quarantine.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Yeah, and I'm glad about it. Though I somehow doubt the NJ State Troopers are keeping tabs on everyone that's supposed to be under quarantine.

I think the idea is more airport focused? Since most of those states aren't nearby enough for there to be much traffic.
Anyway we're doing it here in CT too, so thanks for meat shielding us from the rest of the non-New England states NY and NJ. :thumbsup:

Maine will probably gently caress things up from this direction though so *sigh*

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There's always been something very unfair about the USA Visa Waiver collaboration.

This is how it was before corona:

If, as an EU citizen or citizen of another "allied" state you want to go to the US, you need to go to a special government site, fill in a form answering a whole bunch of personal questions, then pay them something like $10 and that puts you in the visa waiver program for 5 years.

It's not nearly as much of a hassle as a complete visa application, but it's a hassle nonetheless.

But the other side of the deal, if as a USA citizen you want to enter the EU, all you have to do is show up at an EU border point with your US passport. No forms, no payment, you can just walk in and go on to customs right away.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's always been something very unfair about the USA Visa Waiver collaboration.

If, as an EU citizen or citizen of another "allied" state you want to go to the US, you need to go to a special government site, fill in a form answering a whole bunch of personal questions, then pay them something like $10 and that puts you in the visa waiver program for 5 years.

It's not nearly as much of a hassle as a complete visa application, but it's a hassle nonetheless.

But the other side of the deal, if as a USA citizen you want to enter the EU, all you have to do is show up at an EU border point with your US passport. No forms, no payment, you can just walk in and go on to customs right away.

So when are we getting ETIAS? I can barely find any information from anything but scummy visa assistance sites, at this point.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
lmao turkey. what a nation

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

So when are we getting ETIAS? I can barely find any information from anything but scummy visa assistance sites, at this point.

I hadn't heard of it until now, but this says 2022. https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/
No telling what Corona might do to that schedule though.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Makes perfect sense when you realize we're all vassal states of the empire.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The bulk of border regulation is heavily arbitrary. Most countries want to let as many people in as possible, but also want to flip around and heavily limit long-term immigration, but there's no meaningful criteria to limit it with, so all they're left with is racism, classism, and random chance.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

For my tourist visa I had to show up at the US embassy in São Paulo, sit in a huge line for hours, go through the metal detector that was so strict that I had to take off my belt and hold my pants while they scanned me, then stand on another huge line and wait until I talked to the embassy guy, where I had to tell him about how long and where I was going to stay, and then tell him again about my job and how much I earn ( it was in the form already jeez).

Not to mention the previous day where I had to go to the other side of the city to have my finger prints collected. No you can't do both on the same day, so I lost two days of work from that.

All that and I still had a chance of being rejected at the airport depending on the mood of the person sitting at the immigration booth.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't get how they're so strict but still have 30 million illegal immigrants or whatever the number is

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I don't get how they're so strict but still have 30 million illegal immigrants or whatever the number is

once you are in the country 95% of people don't give a poo poo and will happily pay you under the table or help you commit SS fraud so you can be paid and taxed semi-legally. Then you get to spend 25 years building a normal life and family before getting arrested during a routine traffic stop and deported

your Republican neighbors will then rend their garments and hair while crying "but they were one of the good ones!" Even as they cast another ballot for the "gently caress IMMIGRANTS" sheriff wearing the biggest hat money can buy

Squalid fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 13, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think that's one of the paradoxes of the American right (and the British right to a lesser extent) with its bizarrely selective liberal streak. They dislike immigrants as you would expect, illegal ones in particular, but without a population register or even a standardized form of ID you can basically do whatever you want as soon as you make it in. And if you suggested introducing these, they'd probably decry that as being big gub'ment commufascism.

In a similar vein, I had to laugh at an article about the effects of the impending Brexit I read a few months ago. EU migration to the UK has decreased sharply, while non-EU migration is way up, and the numbers more or less cancel each other out. Basically, instead of white Poles and Latvians from a Christian background, they're now getting much more immigrants from Africa and Asia.
So, not only is the UK deliberately tanking its own economy for no reason other than chronic special snowflake syndrome, not only are they not accomplishing their implicit racist aims, they are in the process of accomplishing the opposite of said aims in the sense that immigration from browner, less culturally related countries has skyrocketed.

I used to be somewhat ambivalent about Brexit, though it seemed dumb from the very beginning, but by now it's already shaping up to be an unprompted self-own of historical proportions, and it hasn't even actually occurred yet.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Grape posted:

I'm not sure anyone is actually enforcing it. I'm in New York and we are technically saying that you "must" quarantine for 14 days if you travel here from certain states... but it's a travel advisory and has absolutely no enforcement or tracking mechanism. America really just isn't set up to do that across state borders.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The secret is that almost everybody in power knows that "illegal" immigrants are an incredibly important part of our country's economy, and most of the measures to crack down on them were mainly to maintain a permanent underclass of people without legal rights. There's a whole lot of the anti-immigration movement that's just been quietly reclassifying legal immigration as "illegal" immigration, expanding the underclass.

Of course, a lot in recent days has been characterized by the pissbaby in chief having been a literal believer in the propaganda, so he actually is running an ethnic cleansing on immigrants instead of just a performative program to scare them into submission. I think even before him though the propaganda had gained a whole life of its own beyond the original plan to force migrant workers onto the official government programs that there's this grotesque swarming anti-immigrant sentiment that is still vague enough that there's nothing it would ever count as a success because it has nothing to do with reality.

Interesting to hear a lot of anti-borders talk in the map thread though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm not opposed to borders at all, although some of the rhetoric on them can be dodgy. I just think that many on the right are hypocrites.

I think your analysis is correct, anyway, and that's probably how illegal immigration seems to have been a 'hot-button' issue in the US for decades without the stream of immigrants actually showing any signs of abating. The upper-class rich people who run the Republican Party don't actually care where their maids and chauffeurs come from, if anything it's in their economic interest to have a source of easily available and cheap labor, but they still have to make wind about it in public so they can keep the white working-class base on board.

Now the president is someone who, despite being a complete idiot and contrary to all expectations, actually seems to believe in what he's saying and occasionally makes attempts to turn that into concrete policy, and all bets are off.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

The mexican and canadian borders aren't nearly as strict, you can just show up (dunno how it works if you don't have a canadian/mexican passport though.) The secret is that most illegal immigration isn't desert trekking or complex scams, it's just entering legally and then never leaving. You have to be able to pass as a legit tourist, I doubt they'd let you through with a moving van or whatever, but that's it.

Canada's even more hilariously easy. I crossed the border in NY with a carfull of nearly all my belongings and they were just like "ok promise you won't stay for more than six months without getting your student visa kiddo"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phlegmish posted:

Poles and Latvians from a Christian background
That of course depends on what proportion of British Protestants consider what the Poles get up to as Christian. Also on what percentage of British irreligious are looking at at the current results of Poland's Christian background with some level of horror.

Phlegmish posted:

immigration from browner, less culturally related countries
True on the first part, not necessarily on the second. Most of the new non-EU migrants are from within the Commonwealth. Is someone who speaks English and plays cricket and lives somewhere that even shares or shared the same head of state or at the very least shares the same strange system of common law, but is Black, more or less culturally related than someone from Poland? I think the answer to that depends on how :dogwhistle: the person saying it is being with ~culturally related~.

There were definitely some people who thought that the EU was where all 'the blacks' came from somehow, but there also seems to be a bunch of people who voted Brexit but also thinks we should airlift millions of Hong Kong residents over to the UK to save them from the CCP.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Phlegmish posted:

Those illegal immigrants are very useful at driving down wages and/or evading taxes and labour laws.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I think that's one of the paradoxes of the American right (and the British right to a lesser extent) with its bizarrely selective liberal streak.

in addition to the muh freedum :911: opposition to big gubmint, I think it's impossible to overlook the particular way American national identity is constructed, and how it is differs from Europe. Essentially as soon as someone sets foot in the country, at least in the eyes of the locals, you will start to "become" an American regardless of your intentions. Because the fundamental founding mythos of the American identity is that we are a "nation of immigrants," and it is virtually taken as a given that anyone who comes here for more than a vacation will eventually become a part of the community.

And not to down play the racism, but only the most fringe white nationalists will seriously question this assumption about immigrants. It's deeply ingrained in the national history and civics educational curriculum.

Like the government very actively propagandizes on this point. I remember as a young lad sitting down in school and watching a short film in which for Thanksgiving holiday a teacher asks her kids to make little dolls depicting the pilgrims for a display, and one immigrant girl gets help from her mother. But when she picks up the doll to turn it in Oh no! Her mother dressed it in a babushka and Eastern European clothes instead of as a pilgrim! Thee girl takes it in super ashamed and afraid everyone will make fun of her for being different, but of course instead the teacher holds it up and says "oh of course this immigrant doll represents the true spirit of America, this is just a modern day pilgrim."

This kind of narrative is deeply, deeply embedded in America's education system, media, and every White and Asian family's personal history. I would not underestimate the effect of this feeling on policy, and I would be surprised to hear that European countries which have historically emphasized the importance of language and religion to nationality have constructed their national identities in the same way.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Ditto for Canada as well. On the other hand, Australia doesn't really have this element as part of their mythos, probably because of the White Australia policy.

Edit: the fact that most European countries are ethnostates probably plays a huge part into why many immigrants there can't "integrate".

ToxicAcne fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Squalid posted:

in addition to the muh freedum :911: opposition to big gubmint, I think it's impossible to overlook the particular way American national identity is constructed, and how it is differs from Europe. Essentially as soon as someone sets foot in the country, at least in the eyes of the locals, you will start to "become" an American regardless of your intentions. Because the fundamental founding mythos of the American identity is that we are a "nation of immigrants," and it is virtually taken as a given that anyone who comes here for more than a vacation will eventually become a part of the community.

And not to down play the racism, but only the most fringe white nationalists will seriously question this assumption about immigrants. It's deeply ingrained in the national history and civics educational curriculum.

Like the government very actively propagandizes on this point. I remember as a young lad sitting down in school and watching a short film in which for Thanksgiving holiday a teacher asks her kids to make little dolls depicting the pilgrims for a display, and one immigrant girl gets help from her mother. But when she picks up the doll to turn it in Oh no! Her mother dressed it in a babushka and Eastern European clothes instead of as a pilgrim! Thee girl takes it in super ashamed and afraid everyone will make fun of her for being different, but of course instead the teacher holds it up and says "oh of course this immigrant doll represents the true spirit of America, this is just a modern day pilgrim."

This kind of narrative is deeply, deeply embedded in America's education system, media, and every White and Asian family's personal history. I would not underestimate the effect of this feeling on policy, and I would be surprised to hear that European countries which have historically emphasized the importance of language and religion to nationality have constructed their national identities in the same way.

America is poo poo in so very many ways but this here is something I'm legitimately proud of.