Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Is there a mod that allows other factions to retake lost bases or let me liberate bases to give or trade to other factions? I want to rule the planet with my android friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This just dropped on the Rimworld mod-updates feed:

Save our ship 2 -- Heat Statistics is released!

quote:

Need to know if your heatsinks will explode at the first battle on your new shiny space vessel?
Wanna reduce the space footprint of your 200 tiles wide and counting AC system as safely as possible?
Or maybe you just like stats and dwelving deeper in the game internal systems?

Then this mod is for you, it adds various fully dynamic and explained statistics to Save our ship 2 heat management buildings:

- Heatsinks now have a max heat output statistic.
Now you know how hot they will go once they store at least 1 unit of heat.

- Radiators now have a current and max cooling statistic. Efficiency is included in the formula.
You will now be able to check how much of those babies you need to deal with your army of heatsinks safely.

This mod is be safe to be added / removed from saves.
This mod should not have any conflicts with other mods. (yes it is CE compatible)

Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2164286498
Github: https://github.com/helldragger/SOS2-HeatStatistics/releases

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I just got this and would like to play vanilla for a bit. Are there any mods that help with prioritizing jobs or hauling items though? I'd like something more granular than 1-4.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The order goes from one to four, but also left to right (as in, leftmost jobs will be executed before rightmost ones if they have the same priority)

So one to four actually gives you basically all the granularity you could reasonable need for vanilla, IMO.

There are mods that affect the work tab but all the ones I'm familiar with add an insane amount of granularity and make the thing virtually unusable.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I just got this and would like to play vanilla for a bit. Are there any mods that help with prioritizing jobs or hauling items though? I'd like something more granular than 1-4.

OwlFancier posted:

The order goes from one to four, but also left to right (as in, leftmost jobs will be executed before rightmost ones if they have the same priority)

So one to four actually gives you basically all the granularity you could reasonable need for vanilla, IMO.

There are mods that affect the work tab but all the ones I'm familiar with add an insane amount of granularity and make the thing virtually unusable.

I also just got this a couple weeks ago and am only just now getting into mods--once you have more than six or seven colonists, managing the work priorities becomes a job in and of itself. I can't imagine having a huge rear end colony with an even more complicated work system.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Is there a mod that makes new colonists show up with empty work priorities?

I hate it with someone shows up with 2 points into doctoring and then starts doing surgery.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Fluffy's Work Tab should be as comprehensive as you need and then some.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because of the way skills work, and the way pawn attention works, you generally only want each pawn doing one thing max, because even if they're good at a lot of things, their skills will decay over time if they don't use them, so they can only generally become super good at one thing (because it will decay if they don't spend all day every day practicing it) and just logistically, you don't want them running across the map doing lots of different jobs rather than sticking at one job for as long as possible.

So you only really need priorities to set the job you want them to do above all other jobs, and then determine how/if you want them to do opportunity jobs, like hauling, cleaning, firefighting, doctoring, wardening etc. Things that aren't full time jobs (though hauling and cleaning become full time jobs as your colony grows) so that's why you only really need 1-4.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Once you get deep drills, you should be able to fully specialize each pawn. One guy whose only role is to do a single type of job forever, and maybe help out with hauling sometimes. After a while everyone becomes so hyper specialized in my colonies, the jobs tab is basically just a diagonal line of 1s.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Everyone is talking in such a way as to make me believe you can somehow rearrange tasks left/right and also reorder pawns in the list? Is that core functionality I've missed somehow in like 2000 hours? Lmao if true but also... It would be nice?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

On the top of the screen you can drag dudes into whatever order you like by right clicking and dragging the pawn icon.

I keep my no-fighting dudes on the far right!

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait, I don't play Rimworld for a few months and they added space battles?? Or is this a mod?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

BurgerQuest posted:

Wait, I don't play Rimworld for a few months and they added space battles?? Or is this a mod?

Save Our Ship 2 mod

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

Everyone is talking in such a way as to make me believe you can somehow rearrange tasks left/right and also reorder pawns in the list? Is that core functionality I've missed somehow in like 2000 hours? Lmao if true but also... It would be nice?

No you can't change the order of tasks left to right, but you can take advantage of the left-right priority combined with numbers to handle stuff.

So like, if you want your pawns to do doctoring whenever necessary, then crafting, you can put both doctoring and crafting on priority 1, and they will always do doctoring first. You only need to move down a number if you want to go back to the left of the job order again. The way the jobs are ordered in the list is that the opportunistic and time sensitive jobs are generally leftmost, so doctoring, bed rest, firefighting, wardening, hunting etc, they all sit happily ahead of the regular jobs on the same priority number.

It might be helpful to post your priorities at the moment and people can debug them because you shouldn't need more granularity to get your pawns working efficiently, so if you're having trouble that might indicate an issue with your priorities setup.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I didn't realize there was a left to right priority, thanks!

I'll also look at the mod too.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

kiss me Pikachu posted:

I’ve finally gotten past endlessly restarting with the androids mod and wow does stacking upgrades get absurd fast once you get deeper in the research path, a casual 512% mining speed and 200%+ yield with a T3 with mining arm/high power limbs and the geological banks.

Just for funsies, try a solo explorer start with a T5 android

The game begins to be about how to creatively have your post singularity god-being not decide randomly to murder all living humans, assuming you manage to acquire any

Does make for a grand time if you really wanted to explore the darkest parts of Questionable Ethics and related genetics mods though :tipshat:

E: in case someone does try this (and I do recommend it), I think you'll need prepare carefully too

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 13, 2020

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

In the past I dealt with turret-protected caches by sniping the solar panels and batteries but this time I wanted to steal everything I could so I crept towards batteries one smoke-distance at a time, claimed them, then undrafted one of my dudes and had them uninstall it.

I'm honestly surprised I didn't gently caress up too badly

edit: I love the new Royalty quests. I took one to babysit some noble's disgusting pair of bloodrot-infected raccoons for 17 days. They needed constant medical care to not die and before they left they found time time to gently caress, leaving me with a baby raccoon that the noble didn't ask for back :confuoot: At least the baby didn't have bloodrot

I finally took a monument quest after being offered them a lot, because this one wasn't too big. A noble wanted a monument to show everyone how "poison" he is (not sure if IRL slang or Rimworld slang).

It's just a room :confused:

But if a single part of it is destroyed within 34 days he'll send a female-tuned psychic suppressor after me. That's poison all right

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 13, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah all of the monument quests I've gotten are just rooms with tile floors. One was given to me by an artificial intelligence and was literally just a 3x4 slate room

You'd think they'd want some decorative poo poo in there but nope, build me a room

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah I was expecting columns and steles and maybe even urns and sarcophagi like the random ruins.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm kind of getting the itch to dive in again. Last time I ran Empires and I had a lot of fun with it, but I've been seeing a lot of hubbub about Save Our Ship these days and the two are currently incompatible so I'd have to pick one. My three main questions about SoS are:

1. Does it heavily impact game performance? i.e. does having a functional ship farting around in the background make the game run like crap like having multiple real settlements would?
2. When does it come in tech-tree wise? Is it something you're only really interacting with when you've been playing a colony for 20 hours already?
3. Besides the obvious cool factor of having a floating space fortress and being able to travel to other planets, does bothering to do space stuff have practical in-game benefits, or is it basically a prestige resource sink?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ship stuff can start around the midgame, but it's very resource intensive, need a lot of components and steel and plasteel to build ships. You can launch one with just a few advanced components and some chemfuel though, it just won't have much space or do much. To go interstellar though you will need massive amounts of resources, as you will to make them combat worthy.

They're less intensive than normal maps because they have no random wildlife and most of the tiles are vacuum, so they're not very intensive to simulate, if you add a lot of stuff they will start to chug though.

Ships aren't really useful other than you can land them again, so you can basically make a sort of drop base you can fly around if you wanted to, and provided you can keep it fuelled. Oh and if you use rimatomics they can railgun strike any tile on the map from orbit. They're really more of a goal in themselves rather than a benefit to a ground colony, shipping large volumes of goods between ground and space can be quite expensive and you need a lot of resources to make them productive, so there's no real point IMO where a space ship would make you a profit other than in the ultra late game.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

OwlFancier posted:

They're really more of a goal in themselves rather than a benefit to a ground colony
Such as building a Space Throne Room for your max ranked Empire Psychic

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Can someone walk me through producing plasteel?

I have Rimfeller and I’ve made synthamide, I have an autoclave, and I set up plasteel production at my fabrication bench.

For some reason it will never create more synthamide, and I’m constantly out of materials for plasteel construction. I’m not sure if something is bugged or if I’m just not doing it correctly, but a step by step or insights would be awesome. It’s the only thing holding me back from going full Skycore with my 7 android, 2 human colony.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Can someone walk me through producing plasteel?

I have Rimfeller and I’ve made synthamide, I have an autoclave, and I set up plasteel production at my fabrication bench.

For some reason it will never create more synthamide, and I’m constantly out of materials for plasteel construction. I’m not sure if something is bugged or if I’m just not doing it correctly, but a step by step or insights would be awesome. It’s the only thing holding me back from going full Skycore with my 7 android, 2 human colony.

As I recall, plasteel is synthamide + steel (possibly + synthelene? Been a while since I checked the exact recipe) to produce uncured plasteel at the fabrication bench, which then needs to go in an autoclave for a while to turn into proper plasteel.

To make synthamide you need a synthamide printer, and if you have the bad hygiene integration it requires water as well as chemfuel to be piped to it from a chemfuel tank. It also needs the rimefeller hoppers connected to it to serve as points for the finished good to be spat out.

You also need to set up a bill at the rimefeller control console which requires someone who can run the console, all valid bills will be produced by the appropriate machines as long as the console is manned.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 13, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh poo poo, I didn’t hook up water. I’ll try that when I get home, thanks!

Are there any other means of producing plasteel other than deep drills?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Long range scanners can spawn sites on the overworld for you to mine a big chunk of resources.

Otherwise you can trade for it. Or I think scrap it from high level mechanoids?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn’t hook up water. I’ll try that when I get home, thanks!

Are there any other means of producing plasteel other than deep drills?

Long Range Mineral Scanners, Deep Scanners, Exotic Goods Traders (Outlander), Shaman Traders (Tribal).

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Install RimFactory, shove steel and chemfuel into a metal refinery.

May require 10,000 watts of power.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah all of the monument quests I've gotten are just rooms with tile floors. One was given to me by an artificial intelligence and was literally just a 3x4 slate room

You'd think they'd want some decorative poo poo in there but nope, build me a room

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah I was expecting columns and steles and maybe even urns and sarcophagi like the random ruins.
It depends on the size of the monuments really. Endgame-scale ones get to be like 17x34 or bigger and those always seem to include steles and sarcophagi like the randomly generated ruins. There's probably some logic that there has to be X distance between the wall and any furniture objects so the smaller ones can't generate those.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Install Omni Core Drill, balance is a filthy word.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Has anyone in here done a start on one of the city maps? I started one last night and it's such a wild, different experience with all the pre-built buildings and loot and potential dangers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Urban starting map:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I dare you combine it with the crashlanded mod.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

I dare you combine it with the crashlanded mod.

Which mod is that?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Danaru posted:

Realizing I made my Engineering section way too small since I want Engineering to take care of high skilled crafting like weapons, while Procurement takes care of poo poo like components and smelting slag. With some clever deconstruction and a minimal ship bridge, I'm pretty sure I can decouple the entire engineering section, move it away, build an addition, then reconnect engineering :v:

For anyone curious, this totally worked :v: Consider it an option if you need to

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Which mod is that?

This one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730384702&searchtext=crash+landed

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
I picked up the game this week and I've loved my vanilla colony so far.

Reading posts in here though, it feels like we're playing totally different games. I'm looking forward to trying some mods eventually, but it just seems overwhelming right now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

twice burned ice posted:

I picked up the game this week and I've loved my vanilla colony so far.

Reading posts in here though, it feels like we're playing totally different games. I'm looking forward to trying some mods eventually, but it just seems overwhelming right now.

Vanilla Rimworld is a really great game and is perfectly playable for hundreds of hours. I didn't start going mod crazy until I had like 200+ hours in on the pre-Steam version.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it's a good idea to play vanilla for a while, a year or two in game or until you die horribly. Then ponder about what was most annoying/frustrating to deal with and grab a handful of related QOL mods (hint, it's probably gonna include Replace Stuff and Numbers and some stack size/storage mod) and keep at it until you get comfortable with the game and things start feeling predictable.

Then you start installing the robot wizard catgirls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Definitely do a vanilla run, then add a few mods to fix things you find annoying. After that you can add the "vanilla expanded" stuff for a new colony. That's the step I'm on now. Next colony I'm going to go whole hog with a bunch of mods.

E: poster above me said it better