Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Are Vissers the highest rank in yeerk society, are these pretty much the first and third in command of the entire empire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Avalerion posted:

Are Vissers the highest rank in yeerk society, are these pretty much the first and third in command of the entire empire?

SirSamVimes posted:

IIRC (yeerk hierarchy spoilers???) there is a "Council of Thirteen" above the Vissers (who may also be ranked in numbers, I don't think the book ever spells it out) and an emperor above them

disaster pastor posted:

I think it's the Andalite Chronicles that mentions that the emperor is actually one of the Council of Thirteen, but nobody outside the Council knows which member of the Council is the emperor, both so they're shielded from assassination attempts and so the title doesn't go to their head.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Oh cheers, missed those.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Also, as we've seen here, Three doesn't give humanity much credit. He hates being here except insofar as it's a chance for glory and he thinks very little of humanity. Even if someone suggested that maybe an Andalite did give humans morphing, I think it's very likely that he'd dismiss the possibility simply out of his disdain for humans.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I really get the sense that everything going on on earth is really playing to Visser Three's weakest points. Like, the guy is practically built to Darth Vader his way through entire planets but here he just can't do that and, having never developed other skillsets, is basically floundering. If Visser One was still running the show we'd probably be screwed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

As we find out, if Visser One was in charge it would have been over before it began. She is ferociously competent and cold-blooded in the extreme.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

As we find out, if Visser One was in charge it would have been over before it began. She is ferociously competent and cold-blooded in the extreme.

Visser One's book is one of the stand-outs of the series imo. I remember portions of it being very distinctly alien.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

All of the Chronicles books were really really good imo, and Visser is basically one of them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

I really need a Visser 2 Stupid Death Montage now

Visser Two, Eldash-214, Cause of death: Host instantly combusted upon arrival on Hork-Bajir Homeworld

Visser Two, Vindaar-378, Cause of death: Blade Ship emerged from Z-Space on the event horizon of a black hole

Visser Two, Kelsam-4377 (the Primary), Cause of death: Murdered and replaced by Kelsam-4377 the Secondary in a fit of jealous rage

Visser Two, Kelsam-4377 (the Seconary), Cause of death: Accidental poisoning related to "Taxxon bodily fluid", further investigation needed

Visser Two, Arndish-112, Cause of death: Dracon beam misfire

Visser Two, Gerthim-047, Cause of death: Carol

Visser Two, Ulnarf-656, Cause of death: [DATA ERROR - POSSIBLE TEMPORAL ANOMALY]

Visser Two, Zirkan-150, Cause of death: Stampede of giant bird-like creatures

Visser Two, Eldeth-247, Cause of death: Military parade mishap

Visser Two, Viirath-777, Cause of death: Fell into Earth Grand Canyon chasing wayward $20 currency notation

Visser Two, Orlan-912, Cause of death: Mild Treason

Visser Two, Tirmak-530, Cause of death: Experimental robot malfunction

Visser Two, Galaf-028, Cause of death: "Host's chest exploded, small unidentified lifeform emerged from the body"

Visser Two, Minaar-379, Cause of death: First contact with higher dimensional being

Visser Two, Rantash-002, Cause of death: Suicide, three dracon blasts to back of head

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 13, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Predator-Chapter 18

quote:

They marched us down a hallway. Rachel, still in her huge elephant body, filled the hallway like our ant bodies had filled the tunnels in the sand. Tobias rode on my shoulder, unable to fly in the cramped space.

The place we ended up was just like the bare, black-steel prison we'd been held in on the Blade ship. But this time no window appeared.
There was dim light that seemed to radiate from the ceiling. But nothing else at all.

I slumped down in a corner.

<What's our time look like, Ax?> Jake asked.

<You have only thirty percent of your time left.>

<Thirty-six minutes,> Jake translated.

<Thirty-six minutes and I'll spend the rest of my life as an elephant,> Rachel said. <Not that the 'rest of my life' is likely to be much time.>

For a while everyone talked about various plans for escape. It was all just talk. We knew we were trapped. We knew it was over. We were aboard the Yeerk mother ship. It was huge. If we had a week to learn our way around, we'd still have been lost in its maze.

There were hundreds, probably thousands of armed Yeerks - Hork-Bajir, Taxxons, and a few other shapes we'd never seen before, and of course, humans.

Like my mother.

My mother - Visser One. Most powerful of the Vissers.

When had it happened? Had the Yeerks taken her much earlier? Had she already been a Controller for those last years when she was with us?

When she had come to my bedroom to say good night, had that been a Yeerk slug, just playing a part, like an actor?

When I tried to fake sick to get out of school, had it been a Yeerk who saw through my story and kidded and joked me into admitting it?

Was it a Yeerk, handing out the presents on Christmas morning? A Yeerk, singing in the church choir? A Yeerk, pulling the puppet strings of my mother's body when she dragged me through J. C. Penney's and made me buy school clothes I didn't really like?

Was it a Yeerk I used to find making out with my dad like a teenager when they didn't think I saw them?

All of it an act? All of it fake? For how many years?

How much of what I'd thought was my mother, had been . . . one of them?

This is sort of the worst thing for Marco, because the Yeerk didn't just steal his mother. The Yeerk stole the memory of his mother. How can he know how much of what h e remembers about her and about their relationship is real, and how much is just a Yeerk playing the role>

quote:

One thing was sure. Her death had been faked. The so-called drowning accident. No body recovered.

But the body had been recovered, hadn't it? The Yeerks' mission had been accomplished. The invasion of Earth had been started. Visser One was leaving Earth in the hands of Visser Three. And so she had to disappear and not leave any one asking questions.

<There has to be something we can do!> Rachel was saying.

Ax said, <My people have a saying - grace is the acceptance of the inevitable.>

<Yeah?> I said suddenly. <Well, I don't accept. That's what they want. They want the entire human race to lie down and accept the inevitable.>

Jake turned his big, yellow tiger eyes on me. I saw Tobias's eternally fierce glare.

I stood up.

<I have a saying for you. I got it from a fortune cookie. Fall down seven times, get up eight.' You know what that means? That means you don't ever just lie there. You always get up. You always come back for more. You never surrender. Maybe you die, but you never surrender.>

They were all looking at me now. Through the eyes of a wolf and a hawk and the big, sad eyes of an elephant.

<Ants,> I said. <We can morph to ants again.>

Cassie was shocked. <You're saying that? You? I thought you hated those ant morphs as much as I did.>

<I did. But it may work. We morph to ants. Maybe there's a crack here somewhere. We escape into the walls and the machines. We can hide, then morph into something more dangerous, attack, and then disappear again. Maybe even find a way to destroy the Kandrona.>

<That's nuts,> Rachel said. <I like it.>

Atta girl.

quote:

<At least we can hurt them a little before they catch up with us,> Jake agreed cautiously.

<Except for Tobias.>

<You have to do what's right for the group,> Tobias said. <I'll have to take my chances. I'd feel better knowing you guys were still out there somewhere, making trouble for the Yeerks.>

<It may work,> Ax said. <The Yeerks are not very familiar with morphing, except for Visser Three. They may not expect an insect morph.>

<AII right, then,> Jake said. < let's - >

The door opened. It simply appeared silently in the wall.

Standing there were three Hork-Bajir. They were wearing gold uniforms.

Lying on the floor were four other Hork-Bajir. They were each uniformed in red. They were either dead or unconscious.

<Don't move,> Jake snapped as he saw Rachel and me tensing up for a charge.

The lead Hork-Bajir, a huge creature maybe eight feet tall with head blades that were more than a foot long, eyed us.

He spoke. It was surprising, because he did not speak the usual strange mishmash of languages the Hork-Bajir used. This one sounded like he'd been educated at Harvard.

"This hallway goes on in that direction for a hundred feet." He pointed to his left. "Then comes a guard station, where there will be two Hork-Bajir and a Taxxon. From there, four hallways. Take the one furthest to your left. Follow it to a dropshaft. Take the dropshaft down fifteen decks. Directly ahead you will see escape pods."

He looked at Rachel. "You are too large in that morph to fit in the escape pod. You will need to demorph when you get there. The pod is programmed to return you to the planet in the same area where you were seized. The pod will then self-destruct. Do you understand?"

We all just stared.

<It's a trap,> Tobias said.

<No. We're already trapped. They could kill us any time,> I said.

<Marco's right,> Jake said. <Why let us escape if they want to kill us?>

<This is one of Visser One's soldiers,> Ax pointed out. <It would be very embarrassing for Visser Three if his prisoners should escape, no?>

<Politics,> Cassie said, with a laugh. <It's about politics! Visser One is making Visser Three look bad. If we escape, it will be blamed on Visser Three.>

Thank god for the dysfunctional nature of the Yeerk military.

quote:

"You will have to deal with any of Visser Three's troops you encounter between here and the escape pod," the gold-clad Hork-Bajir said. "Leave. Now."

<Ax?> Jake asked.

<Only fifteen percent of your morph time is left>

<That's about eighteen minutes. Let's do it!>

Visser One's troops turned and marched away.

<I'll go in front,> Rachel said.

<Okay. And let's move,> Jake said.

Rachel squeezed her massive tonnage into the hallway. <All right. Now let's see who wants to try and stop me!>

Whomp ! Whomp! Whomp! Whomp!

Rachel made the steel floor vibrate with each massive step. Her leathery sides scraped the corridor walls so that I could only catch occasional glimpses past her.

The hallway was empty until we reached the guard station. Just as the Hork-Bajir had said.

Rachel didn't even slow down.

Whomp! Whomp! Whomp! Whomp!

I saw a flash of a Taxxon, foolishly running as if to cut her off. A few seconds later I had to jump over the crushed remnants of the big centipede.

<Look out! Hork-Bajir!> Cassie yelled.

He exploded out of a side corridor, a red- uniformed Hork-Bajir.

Swooosh!

A razor-bladed arm sliced the air inches in front of my face.

<More coming!> Tobias warned. <Both directions! All of them in red!>

<I can't turn around!> Rachel moaned. She was too big, too tight a fit in the corridors to turn and help, as half a dozen Hork-Bajir in Visser Three's livery came screaming onto the scene.

<I knew it couldn't be that easy,> I said.

<Battle!> Ax said, sounding like he was announcing a party.

I felt the same way. I was ready. I was mad and tired of feeling helpless.

The closest Hork-Bajir swung at me again and sliced a six-inch long cut in the matted fur of my huge shoulders.

That was all it took. Like I said, gorillas are peaceful, almost gentle creatures.

But don't go making one angry. Especially not when a boy who wants very badly to hurt some Yeerks is sharing space in the gorilla's head.

"Hoohoo hoo hhawwwrr!" I cried and swung a fist the size of a cinderblock into the stomach of the Hork-Bajir. I gave it all I had. I put every ounce of the gorilla's muscle into the blow.

The Hork-Bajir was lifted clear up off the deck. His head slammed the ceiling. He was down and out of the game.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw another Hork-Bajir leap at Ax. The Andalite's tail flashed forward so fast you didn't even see it move. The Hork-Bajir staggered back, minus an arm.

<Good one, Ax!>

<You as well! Hah hah!>

I decided right then - I kind of liked Ax.

Same.

quote:

<Rachel!> Jake yelled. <Keep moving. Left tunnel. Look for a dropshaft, whatever that is.

The longer we stay here, the more of these guys are going to show up.>

Just then, right on cue, two more Hork-Bajir came up from behind us. <You guys move! I'll deal with them,> Jake said.

The Hork-Bajir rushed us.

"RRRRRRROOOOOWWWRRR!"

Jake let loose with a roar that must have been heard from one end of the mother ship to the other. It even scared me. And it sure made the Hork-Bajir hesitate.

He was on them, while they were still thinking about what to do next.

Hork-Bajir are very fast. But so are tigers.

One Hork-Bajir was down, with Jake sinking fangs into his snakelike neck. The other HorkBajir looked around to make sure no one could see him, then decided he'd like to live. He kept his distance.

Jake backed away but kept his face turned to the Hork-Bajir behind us. We trotted as fast as we could down the hallway, now a scene of devastation.
It was like the ant tunnels. We could only try to escape. The longer we tried to fight, the more the odds would turn against us.

Suddenly . . .

<Ahhhhhhh!>

<Rachel!> I heard Tobias cry.

<It's okay. I found the dropshaft. I am ... dropping.>

<What is it?> I asked.

<An elevator without a floor,> Rachel answered.

Then I was there, at the edge of a long shaft that went down and down, maybe forever.

Rachel already looked small. Which was not easy for her to do.

<He said to stop after fifteen levels!> I reminded her.

<Yeah? And how do I do that?>

<Think the number! It hears speech and understands simple thought-speak commands,> Ax instructed. Then added, <At least that's how it works on our ships .>

<I'm slowing down. Cool!>

<More Hork-Bajir back here! And some of those other ones. The little wrinkled ones!>

Cassie yelled. <They're coming fast!>

<Here goes nothing,> I said. I took a look down the dropshaft and jumped off into empty space.

You know, if it hadn't been for the fact that I was just a few minutes from being trapped forever in a morph, and if there weren't a dozen or so walking Salad Shooters after me, it would have been fun.

I fell, but not too fast.

<Fifteen levels,> I thought as floors zipped past me.

Twelve levels down, I plummeted past a human Controller who was getting ready to step into the dropshaft. He had a very human look of total amazement on his face. Possibly because while standing there, he'd seen a flying elephant, followed by a gorilla, a wolf, an Andalite, and a tiger.

<Hork-Bajir, coming fast!> Tobias warned.

I looked up the shaft. A big Hork-Bajir warrior was gaining on us. But there was nothing I could do until he reached us.

<He's mine,> Tobias said. He flared his wings, flapped hard and was shooting back up the drop- shaft toward the falling Hork-Bajir.

"Tseeeeer!"

Tobias's talons came forward, outstretched, and slashed the alien's eyes.

"Ghaahharrr!"

The Hork-Bajir clutched at his face. I guess he was too distracted to think about what floor he was heading to. He shot past us as we slowed to step onto the fifteenth level.

Hard floor under my feet again! A very good feeling.

<Rachel! You have to demorph!> I reminded her.

<Already working on it,> she said.

She was shrinking even as she lumbered along.

<The escape pods! Ahead there!> Ax cried.

They were only a dozen feet from us. A few seconds more and we would make it.

Rachel stumbled. She was half-human, half-elephant. A nightmare of pink and gray, with huge ears and human hair and fat arms and legs that had no feet.

I reached down and swept her up with my powerful arms. She was still large, maybe three hundred pounds. But not too much for me to carry.

We reached the door of the escape pod.

It closed behind us as we wedged our over sized bodies inside.

<Ax! Time!> Jake yelled.

<Five percent of the time remains!>

<Six minutes. Morph out!>

There was a surge as the escape pod ejected from the underside of the Yeerk ship.

My dense black fur was already starting to disappear by the time the pod rotated. I could see Earth below.

Earth.

And as the tiny ship turned, I could see the Yeerk mother ship.

It was kind of a joke now, I thought. The Yeerk mother ship. My mother on the Yeerk mother ship.

Hah hah.

Before I became fully human again, before I lost the ability to thought-speak and had to return to words spoken out loud, I said, <Jake?>

<Yeah, Marco.>

<No one ever finds out. No one can ever know.>

<Okay, Marco,> he said.

<My mother died two years ago tomorrow.>

<That's how it will be, my friend.>

<Yeah. But someday . . .> Someday, somehow, in some way that I could not foresee, wewould win this battle. Humans and Andalites together would defeat the Yeerks. And we would free all of their slaves.

All of them.

<Someday,> I whispered again.

<Someday, Marco,> Jake said.

Because it's short, pretty much an epilogue, I'm throwing in Chapter 19 too

The Predator-Chapter 19

quote:

I guess there's no such thing as a nice graveyard. But the place where my mom is remembered is as nice as it can be.

The grass is green. There's a tree nearby. It's always very quiet. You can smell flowers.

I hate going there.

My dad stood for a long time, looking down at the white marble headstone. It has my mom's name. The day she was born, the day she died. And a message that says, "No wife, no mother, was ever more loved. Or more deeply missed."

My dad and I stood a few feet apart. We didn't say anything. We both just kind of cried.

You probably wouldn't think I was the kind of guy who would cry. Mostly I don't. Mostly I make jokes about things. It's better to laugh than to cry, don't you think?

I do.

Even when the world is scary and sad. Especially when the world is scary and sad. That's when you need to laugh.

"Two years," my dad said. It surprised me.

"Yeah," I said. "Two years."

He took a deep breath. Like it was hard for him to breathe. "I ... I ... look, Marco, I've been thinking."
"Yes?"

"I haven't been a very good father to you." It wasn't a question, so I didn't say anything.

"Your mom . . ." He had to stop for a moment to get his voice under control. "Your mom would not be happy about the way I've been these last two years."

What could I say? I decided to say nothing.

"Anyway. I talked to Jerry the other day."

Jerry was his old boss. Back when he had a regular job.

My dad shrugged. "I guess we have to live, huh? I mean, we can't. . . you know." Another heavy breath. "Your mom wouldn't want us to give up, would she? Anyway, I'm going in Monday to talk to Jerry about getting back to work. You know ... see if I still remember how to even turn on a computer."

It was a big thing. A big decision. I guess what I should have done was run over to give him a hug and tell him I was proud of him. I was proud of him. But that's not me.

"Oh, Dad, you never could figure computers out. Especially games."

He stared at me with the blank eyes I had seen for the last two years. Then, suddenly, he laughed.
"You punk kid, I've forgotten more about computers than you ever knew."

"Oh, right! So why did I always kick your butt whenever we played Doom?"

"I let you win."

I made an extremely rude noise. "Yeah? How about if we just go home and play a game so I can show you how totally wrong you are?"

I couldn't stop him from giving me a hug. I guess I didn't mind all that much.

We walked away from my mother's gravestone. The stone that marked the death of a woman who was not dead.

I raised my eyes up to the sky. The blue sky of Earth. My home.

She was probably gone from the mother ship, now. Off to some other corner of the galaxy.

But wherever she was, no matter how far, I would find her.

Someday . . .

And on that note, we end Book 5. What did people think? Like it? Dislike it? I think it's probably my favorite of the books so far, and a lot of that has to do with the narrative voice. I think in a lot of ways, Marco has the strongest personality of the protagonists and it comes through in the narration, which is a lot more self referential and ironic than the other books have been. It's also, for lack of a better word, emotionally deeper, if that makes sense. It's willing to be honest with the character's emotions more than the other books have, I think.

So, tomorrow we start a new book, Book 6, the Capture.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I'd agree, it's my favorite of the books so far too. When I was a kid I had a hard time deciding who my favorite character was but on rereading the series it's definitely Marco.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Book 5 is very very good. If the next book is the one I'm thinking of... :getin:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

Book 5 is very very good. If the next book is the one I'm thinking of... :getin:

It is. It's also probably the book in the main series that's stayed with me the most

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I’d have to agree that Marco is the best narrator, so far.

I will say that having so much of this stuff focused around these random teenagers bothers me, though. Tom is one! Then the vice-principal! Then the Kandrona is located underneath their school. Then Marco’s mother is the host for Visser One! Just seems off, to me.

That aside, I also think Marco’s plan to keep his mom a secret is sort of doomed to fail, unless he’s never gonna let any of them(aside from Jake) into his house.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Khizan posted:

I’d have to agree that Marco is the best narrator, so far.

I will say that having so much of this stuff focused around these random teenagers bothers me, though. Tom is one! Then the vice-principal! Then the Kandrona is located underneath their school. Then Marco’s mother is the host for Visser One! Just seems off, to me.

That aside, I also think Marco’s plan to keep his mom a secret is sort of doomed to fail, unless he’s never gonna let any of them(aside from Jake) into his house.

Just wait until he finally talks Rachel into his bed.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

wizzardstaff posted:

I'd agree, it's my favorite of the books so far too. When I was a kid I had a hard time deciding who my favorite character was but on rereading the series it's definitely Marco.

It's weird how different everyone else's opinions have been compared to mine. At the time I think I found his character the most annoying.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I think I like Marco best, and Rachel gets a lot of depth to her too.

They're all honestly really good characters.

The tobias-Ax bromance is excellent too.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

We don’t really have a clear picture of how far reaching the infiltration is, if half the towns population has been yeerked then it wouldn’t be that weird.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Oh hell yeah I had no idea there was an Animorphs read thread going on

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Avalerion posted:

We don’t really have a clear picture of how far reaching the infiltration is, if half the towns population has been yeerked then it wouldn’t be that weird.

I don't think we ever really do. They're very clearly limited in terms of manpower, but they seem to have a lot of very well placed hosts.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

nine-gear crow posted:

Visser Two, Eldash-214, Cause of death: Host instantly combusted upon arrival on Hork-Bajir Homeworld

Visser Two, Vindaar-378, Cause of death: Blade Ship emerged from Z-Space on the event horizon of a black hole

Visser Two, Kelsam-4377 (the Primary), Cause of death: Murdered and replaced by Kelsam-4377 the Secondary in a fit of jealous rage

Visser Two, Kelsam-4377 (the Seconary), Cause of death: Accidental poisoning related to "Taxxon bodily fluid", further investigation needed

Visser Two, Arndish-112, Cause of death: Dracon beam misfire

Visser Two, Gerthim-047, Cause of death: Carol

Visser Two, Ulnarf-656, Cause of death: [DATA ERROR - POSSIBLE TEMPORAL ANOMALY]

Visser Two, Zirkan-150, Cause of death: Stampede of giant bird-like creatures

Visser Two, Eldeth-247, Cause of death: Military parade mishap

Visser Two, Viirath-777, Cause of death: Fell into Earth Grand Canyon chasing wayward $20 currency notation

Visser Two, Orlan-912, Cause of death: Mild Treason

Visser Two, Tirmak-530, Cause of death: Experimental robot malfunction

Visser Two, Galaf-028, Cause of death: "Host's chest exploded, small unidentified lifeform emerged from the body"

Visser Two, Minaar-379, Cause of death: First contact with higher dimensional being

Visser Two, Rantash-002, Cause of death: Suicide, three dracon blasts to back of head

Ms Applegate? I-is that you?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Khizan posted:

I could be misremembering, but I think a big part of that is (maybe spoiler?) the Yeerk invasion actually began in their town, in their area, so the strongest concentration of controllers, and their main pool, ended up being there, even after they started spreading their tendrils out to the rest of the world.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I think the "Everything happens to these kids in this town" thing is just one of the things you have to put up with for the sake of the narrative. There's not really a better explanation than "a god did it."

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

CidGregor posted:

I could be misremembering, but I think a big part of that is (maybe spoiler?) the Yeerk invasion actually began in their town, in their area, so the strongest concentration of controllers, and their main pool, ended up being there, even after they started spreading their tendrils out to the rest of the world.

It definitely started on the West Coast, because Visser One thought the way to take over humanity while preserving most of the host bodies was through secret, cultural domination using Hollywood and pop culture. We find out near the very end the kids are living in a West Coast city. Some readers have proposed Ventura, California based on some similarities (nearby large forests, a zoo right by an amusement park) which would place it near LA but further/quieter enough that Yeerk infestation might be less noticed. It's unclear if Elfangor knew this and intended to go there, but given how much the Ellimist is involved it makes sense he would land right near the heart of the invasion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fuschia tude posted:

It's weird how different everyone else's opinions have been compared to mine. At the time I think I found his character the most annoying.

Same. My favorite character as a kid was Tobias, I related a lot to being an extreme misfit and loner. Marco, Rachel, and Jake came across to kid me as being too smart/popular/cool for me to like or relate to.

I only really warmed to Rachel in one of the later books where there's an alternate timeline where Nazis took over the US and Rachel isn't present because she's in a reeducation camp for not being a meek, submissive woman. That made Rachel click for me and made me reevaluate everything I'd felt about her.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah I remember Marco annoying the poo poo out of me. I also remembered the ants but not the lobster or the spaceship/Visser 1 reveal, so clearly my memory wasn't great. Marco annoyed me, Cassie was cool and I wanted to hang out with her, I liked Tobias, Jake just seemed like a reskin of Power Rangers' Jason without any characterization whatsoever, and Ax was funny. I don't remember what I thought about Rachel.

On this reread, Marco's definitely been the most interesting though I enjoyed being in Tobias' head since there's a lot of implied feeling going on that I totally missed last time.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I never read the books as a kid, so it's interesting for me to listen to people who did and are reading it again now, and find out how their feelings have changed. I get the feeling that there's a lot of stuff in the books I notice that probably would have gone over the head of ten or eleven year old me, especially some of the more subtextual stuff and implications (i was not a subtle kid). So, thank you all for all of this

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Kids aren't subtle in general. Most of us probably didn't register the whole "Tobias trying to commit suicide" thing when we first read it as kids.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I mean you could argue it's also the intervention of the Ellimist? He picked these kids as his 'players' for a reason, the reason being not only that the invasion started in their area so they'd have more motivation but the familial connections Marco and Tobias have.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

PetraCore posted:

I mean you could argue it's also the intervention of the Ellimist? He picked these kids as his 'players' for a reason, the reason being not only that the invasion started in their area so they'd have more motivation but the familial connections Marco and Tobias have.

So...a god did it?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

It definitely started on the West Coast, because Visser One thought the way to take over humanity while preserving most of the host bodies was through secret, cultural domination using Hollywood and pop culture. We find out near the very end the kids are living in a West Coast city. Some readers have proposed Ventura, California based on some similarities (nearby large forests, a zoo right by an amusement park) which would place it near LA but further/quieter enough that Yeerk infestation might be less noticed. It's unclear if Elfangor knew this and intended to go there, but given how much the Ellimist is involved it makes sense he would land right near the heart of the invasion.
Andalite chronicles: We know why Elfangor wanted to go there: he was trying to use the time cube that he had previously left there. Now why he lived his life in this town, hid a powerful relic there and then that is where the Yeerk investigation started later? I think that is because a god the ellimist did it. Very excited to see what new readers think of eliimist/crayak btw. I remember thinking they were bonkers but liking them as a kid.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Epicurius posted:

So...a god did it?

Spoilers for basically the entire drat series: He all but explicitly says that he pulled things together just right to have Tobias, Marco, Ax and Cassie be on "the team." It's a neat way to give a canon explanation to the "everything happens to these kids in this town" conceit. So we get to wonder what pieces Crayak played in response: i.e., would Chapman have been a Controller even if the Animorphs weren't attending his school, or was that Crayak's manipulation?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

disaster pastor posted:

Spoilers for basically the entire drat series: He all but explicitly says that he pulled things together just right to have Tobias, Marco, Ax and Cassie be on "the team." It's a neat way to give a canon explanation to the "everything happens to these kids in this town" conceit. So we get to wonder what pieces Crayak played in response: i.e., would Chapman have been a Controller even if the Animorphs weren't attending his school, or was that Crayak's manipulation?
Crayak's play you're forgetting because the climax was one of the most notoriously worst books, but it was Rachel (Jake being the lynchpin between those four, which is why he hyperfocused on loving with him specifically).

Also did the Cassie thing play into the timetravelling Wrong Hitler book at all? That felt really tacked on. Did it... ever play out anywhere else? The Sario Rips?

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 13, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Book 6-The Capture, Chapter 1

quote:

I'm Jake.

Just Jake. You don't need to know my last name, and I can't tell you, anyway. My story is full of small lies. I've changed people's names. I've changed the names of places. I've changed small details here and there.

But the big stuff is true.

All of it.

The Yeerks are here. On Earth. That is true.

The Yeerks have made Controllers of many humans. They have inserted their gross, sluglike bodies into people's brains, and made them into slaves - Controllers. That is true.

Controllers are everywhere. My town. Your town. Everywhere.

They can be anyone. The policeman on the corner. The teacher in your school. Your best friend. Your mother or father. Your brother.

I know. Because my brother Tom is one of them.

Like every book so far, we go through the standard opening.

quote:

Tom is a Controller. A slave to the Yeerk in his head. If he knew who I really was - what I really was - he would have me killed. Or turned into a Controller, like him.

That's what my world is like now. A world where the enemy is everywhere. Even sitting across from me at the breakfast table on a Saturday morning, which is when this part of the story begins.

"Hey, midget, what's up?" Tom asked as I sat down. That's one of the things he calls me.

Actually I'm kind of big for my age. Almost as big as Tom. But it's a joke we've had for years.

You know how it is.

"Not much," I said. "What's up with you?"

"Oh, I'm going to a meeting."

"The Sharing?" I asked, trying to sound casual. The Sharing is this group that tries to pretend like it's some kind of combined Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. It's really a front organization for Controllers. The leadership council of The Sharing is made up of high-ranking Controllers.

"Yeah. We're doing some cleanup in the park. You know, do our part for the community and all. Then we're having a barbecue afterward." He
gave me a serious look. "You really should join, you know. We'd get to spend more time together."

I felt a wave of sickness. I tried not to show it. It wasn't Tom talking. It was the Yeerk in his head. The Yeerk who wanted to take my body and use it as a host for one of his fellow slugs.

As I sat there across the table from him, I was trying to decide something. I was trying to decide whether I would have to ever destroy him. Destroy my brother, who was not my brother. Not anymore.

"Maybe I will join some day," I said. Like when hell freezes over, I added silently. I poured myself some Wheaties and milk. "So you'll be out for a while?"

"All morning. Mom and Dad are out playing tennis, you'll have the house to yourself. Throw a party."

"Uh-huh," I said, and spooned up some cereal.

It was hard not to just yell at him. To let him know that I knew all about him. What he was. What he was doing.

At least, some of what he was doing. I had been spying on my brother. He was rising fast in the leadership of The Sharing. He was a very loyal Controller. The Yeerk in his head had been promoted.

And he was involved in some new plan. A very big new plan.

A plan I had to stop. Even if ...

"Well, take it easy, midget," Tom said, sounding just like he'd always sounded.

"You, too."

Again, it's the horror of dealing with somebody who you know is just not them. There's an actual mental condition out there called Capgras Syndrome which is linked to dementia. People with it think that their loved ones have been replaced by identical duplicates. Psychiatrists think it has something to do with facial processing. Normally, when people see the face of their loved ones,they have a stronger emotional response than they do if they see strangers. People with Capgras don't show this.

quote:

I waited till Tom was gone. I was alone. It was time.

I went through the house, room by room, making sure no one was there. Then I got the little matchbox I'd hidden in my desk drawer. I could hear a scrabbling noise coming from in side. I slid the matchbox open.

I shuddered.

It was a nice, big cockroach. Brown and glossy and about an inch long.

Its antennae waved eagerly. The roach tried to force its way out of the box, but I held my hand over it.

I could feel the roach antennae tickling the bottom of my palm. It was pushing, trying to get away.

I focused on the roach. Thought about it. Pictured it.

The roach stopped moving and lay still. Not dead, just quiet. The way animals always get when you "acquire" them.

I slid two fingers into the box to get a better contact with the roach. It felt hard and dry. I shuddered.

I absorbed the cockroach's DNA pattern. It was becoming part of me. The DNA - the genetic pattern - of many animals was a part of me now. Tiger. Dolphin. Flea. Falcon. Trout. Green anole lizard.

I have the power to morph. To become any animal that I can touch. The power was given to us, to me and my friends, by an Andalite prince moments before he was murdered by the Yeerks.

I have flown through the sky on my own out stretched wings at more than a hundred miles an hour. I have been a dolphin locked in deadly battle with sharks. I have felt the awesome power of the tiger, and experienced the terrible loss of self, the emptiness and horror of becoming an ant.

It was the gift of the dying Andalite. A powerful weapon for us to use in resisting the Yeerks.

It was also a dangerous, deadly curse. Like any weapon, I guess.

And now I was preparing to become a cock roach. It would be the ideal way to infiltrate The Sharing's new headquarters building. The leadership meeting was in a couple of days. I wanted to be there. But the Yeerks had grown cautious lately.

They knew we were out here. They believed, wrongly, that we were a group of Andalite warriors, but they knew that morph-capable enemies were hunting them. Opposing them.

Hurting them.

Sometimes hurting them very badly.

Tom. My brother. Could I destroy my own brother?

"You don't have to make that decision yet," I said aloud. "All you have to do now is try out this roach morph."

All I had to do now was become a cockroach.

I'm so proud of him. He's actually practing a morph before using it!

quote:

Cockroaches are not my favorite animals. But I knew a cockroach would be ideal for penetrating a guarded building. Roaches can go any where.

You may have noticed that fact.

I put my dog, Homer, out in the yard. I closed the curtains in my bedroom, making it dark as possible.

"Oh, man, the things I do with my spare time," I muttered. I thought of calling Marco and asking him to come over. Marco is my best friend. He's the one who actually came up with the word "Animorph."

"No," I said. "Do this yourself."

The others were all tired. We'd had a rough time lately. Too many close calls. We needed a rest.

Time to deal with normal stuff, like school. Our grades had been suffering since we'd be come Animorphs.

Besides, this had to be my decision. Tom was my brother.

I took a deep breath. I braced myself. I took another deep breath.

"Okay, Jake," I said. "Let's do it."

The first mistake I made was standing in front of a full-length mirror.

It was dark in the room, but there was still enough light for me to see the changes.

Big mistake. Morphing is never pretty. It is always unpredictable. In fact, if you saw it happening and didn't know what was going on, you'd end up screaming for about two weeks straight.

The first feeling was of shrinking. It's exactly like falling. Like you're falling forever. I watched myself shrink in the mirror. It didn't look as bad in the mirror as it felt.

But what really did look bad was my skin as it began to be covered by an armor plate of brown cockroach shell.

"Aahhh!" I yelped in surprise.

My fingers melted together and formed a single, many-jointed bug leg. Antennae jumped out of my forehead. They seemed to stick out forever, then curl back, like they were being blown by a wind.

My waist was squeezed, and the lower part of my body swelled, forming a swollen insect abdomen. Swollen and brownish yellow with ripples, sort of like the Michelin man.

Then, when I was about a foot tall, I felt the last of my bones dissolve. I could actually hear it happening. My spine had been grinding as it shrank. Then, suddenly, I heard a squishy sound, as all my internal organs lost their bone support.

My skull melted away. It was the last sound I heard clearly, as my ears and human sense of hearing faded.

I was a bag of loose guts. Almost deaf. Half-blind, as my human eyes shrank and the lenses became distorted.

My exoskeleton got harder and stiffer and stronger. My wings, glossy and crisp, covered my back. They overlapped at the edges, like the metal plates of a suit of armor.

Extra legs suddenly sprouted from my chest. Only it wasn't exactly a chest anymore. I was a stunted, six-inch-long bug, with a few disintegrating strands of brown hair and shrunken, but still somewhat human, eyes.

Not attractive. Not even slightly.

Then I lost my eyes. It took a second to even realize that I could still see. Then, oh yes! Yes, I could see. But not the way I saw with human eyes.

A weird, wavy mountain seemed to wrap all around me - my clothes. They looked different, blue and green and gray. Kind of. It's hard to describe, exactly. I couldn't see very far, just a few feet.

And what I could see was shattered into dozens of little images. I saw little bits of vast fibrous walls - my socks. And dark tunnels made of thick slabs of what could have almost been wavy, corrugated concrete - the legs of my jeans.

The fibers of the carpet looked gray-green to me, and as big as ropes. My hairy, jointed roach legs would catch in the fibers as I tried to move.

I felt the roach brain surfacing. I'd been through it before. It's different each time, depending on the animal.

Sometimes it's a bunch of raw energy and fear that takes over your own mind so you think you're going crazy.

But not the roach brain. I didn't feel great hunger. I didn't feel great fear. The roach was . . . calm.

Confident. Unworried.

I laughed. I mean, in my head I laughed, be cause I no longer had a mouth or a throat or any thing at all that would make a laugh.

I was so tensed up, expecting the cockroach to be a bundle of energy and fear. But mostly it just felt like resting.

Morphing is once again disgusting.

quote:

The roach brain wanted to take a nap.

Cool, I thought. It's gross. It's disgusting. Marco and the others will hate the idea, but when I tell them how easy it is to handle -

VIBRATION!

Get ready. Get ready. What was it? Get ready.

LIGHT! LIGHT! LIGHT!

Oh dear.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

disaster pastor posted:

Spoilers for the guy you mention:Chapman gets involved in the Andalite-Yeerk War way before the Animorphs show up as students at his high school. As in, he's the first human to make contact with yeerks (but maybe doesn't remember it?). Like you say, it's arguable how much Ellimist and Crayak directly engineered of the series' events, because we just aren't told in detail, but his being so intertwined in the history of everything could definitely suggest he's one of Crayak's "pieces."

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
[spoilers all] The other big cosmological entity is The Time Matrix. It's said to have been created by The Ellimist by the Andalites, but it doesn't get mentioned in The Ellimist Chronicles at all. The Skrit Na dug it up from under the Pyramids, which the Chee (also not mentioned) had a hand in building. And I don't discount the Na as mindless in their pursuits.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The silliest coincidence I remember, the one around shark jumping territory, is that right off the coast of the centrepoint of an alien invasion of earth there also happens to be a decaying society of underwater pre-humans

And actually, this town also being the centre of Chee civilisation? Unless that's only one of many outposts.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

all the "other alien" stuff was really dumb to me. like, the series is about kids turning into animals to fight aliens because they got the mighty morphin' power from another alien. the whole expanded setting is dumb.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Radio Free Kobold posted:

all the "other alien" stuff was really dumb to me. like, the series is about kids turning into animals to fight aliens because they got the mighty morphin' power from another alien. the whole expanded setting is dumb.
Agree to disagree on the basis that the Chee are good. The rest I can mostly do without.

EDIT: What I like is that the Chee primarily care about dogs, and mostly care about humans as a sort of extension of their actual focus, which is dogs, because humans also care about dogs and take care of dogs. The dogs are the important thing, when Chee want to defy their pacifism to fight for earth it is entirely because of the dogs, and humanity is an afterthought. I thought that was really funny and endearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

PetraCore posted:

Agree to disagree on the basis that the Chee are good. The rest I can mostly do without.

EDIT: What I like is that the Chee primarily care about dogs, and mostly care about humans as a sort of extension of their actual focus, which is dogs, because humans also care about dogs and take care of dogs. The dogs are the important thing, when Chee want to defy their pacifism to fight for earth it is entirely because of the dogs, and humanity is an afterthought. I thought that was really funny and endearing.

I have no idea what any of this means, but I can really sympathise with it