Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Lareine posted:

Well, we know FOR SURE that 7 is going to be released for PC, it's just whether or not 3-6 are going to be. They could announce it at the Xbox event since they are porting the series to the Xbox too or more likely at Gamescom, where last year the Remastered collection was dropped.
I just finished Persona 4 Golden on PC so I'm flying high and feeling that anything is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think a lot of Yakuza protagonists are explained by the larger criminal organisation realising that having a spokesperson who is an idiot and/or obviously insane but generally friendly, oddly likeable, unstoppable in combat and will do literally any random task that someone asks of them or whatever hobby happens to attract their interest is better PR than money can buy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's arguably why the games don't attract any ire from actual Yakuza too

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

mind the walrus posted:

That's arguably why the games don't attract any ire from actual Yakuza too

These ones kinda liked it, even

quote:

M: Kiryu is the way yakuza used to be. We kept the streets clean. People liked us. We didn't bother ordinary citizens. We respected our bosses. Now, guys like that only exist in video games.
S: I don't know any ex-yakuza running orphanages.
K: There was one a few years ago. A good guy.
M: You sure it wasn't just a tax shelter?
K: Sure it was a tax shelter but he ran it like a legitimate thing. You know.

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 13, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Too busy doing crimes to care about games

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

This is great, I like how they got invested into better food giving more health

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I like the complaint about Yakuza 3 not heavily centering around the actual Yakuza, even though the entire plot is basically about Kiryu not being able to fully escape his past and how it threatens his new life. You spend almost this entire series playing as people who aren’t actually in the Yakuza. It’s a crime drama series, yes, but it’s more about the characters and locations and how the Yakuza serve as an element to both.

I guess I just don’t get the complaint in that regard. Like someone pointed out, the series isn’t even called Yakuza in Japan. That was just them trying to market it to the US back when they were betting all their chips on an English dub with high end actors and the parallels an open world crime drama would draw with games already popular in the states.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/1282692816104284161

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I don't want to play Yakuza 7 until I beat 3-6.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s a shame it’s probably totally fabricated because Jake Adelstein is known to be full of poo poo, but it’s a fun story.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

man nurse posted:

I like the complaint about Yakuza 3 not heavily centering around the actual Yakuza, even though the entire plot is basically about Kiryu not being able to fully escape his past and how it threatens his new life. You spend almost this entire series playing as people who aren’t actually in the Yakuza. It’s a crime drama series, yes, but it’s more about the characters and locations and how the Yakuza serve as an element to both.

I guess I just don’t get the complaint in that regard. Like someone pointed out, the series isn’t even called Yakuza in Japan. That was just them trying to market it to the US back when they were betting all their chips on an English dub with high end actors and the parallels an open world crime drama would draw with games already popular in the states.

That’s not what I’m talking about when I express frustrations with 3. My frustration is that the crime families are completely secondary to the story. They have zero agency in the story. Everything that happens in the plot is because of the CIA and Black Monday. And even those two organizations aren’t developed much. I like the games more when it’s about internal crime family drama. Y3 is “the CIA and the shadow Illuminati did everything” and I just find that incredibly not interesting.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I want ishin

Why do they refuse to translate it

:bang:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

I want ishin

Why do they refuse to translate it

:bang:

Same here.
I'll be shocked if they bother to go back to it at this point though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Ishin seems loving rad.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Kenzan, Ishin, the PSP ones, give me all them Yakuzers.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Speaking of crime dramas - can anyone recommend any good Japanese yakuza films? I'm not that knowledgeable of the genre.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Speaking of crime dramas - can anyone recommend any good Japanese yakuza films? I'm not that knowledgeable of the genre.

almost anything directed by beat takeshi. check out boiling point, sonatine, or hana-bi

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mordiceius posted:

I found Battles Without Honour And Humanity pretty decent. It does that "dun dun" thing where people's names pop up when they're first introduced.

It's semi-historical, and the plot is thus pretty goddamn complicated.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I seriously do not understand how to play Virtua On. It seems like such a fun concept, but I have no idea what determines whether I'll hit someone or not. I just end up dashing around the stage like a maniac hoping that something lands.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Norton the First posted:

I seriously do not understand how to play Virtua On. It seems like such a fun concept, but I have no idea what determines whether I'll hit someone or not. I just end up dashing around the stage like a maniac hoping that something lands.

Does Kiwami 2 default to the control scheme where you use the face buttons? Because that’s not a good way to play it. Make sure you switch to the control scheme where it’s just the analog sticks and the shoulder buttons, so it’s more like the arcade controls, then you push the sticks apart from each other to jump and in together to jump cancel. That’s the better way to play it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Norton the First posted:

Think of it like Metroid Prime. You run, stop, and shoot via auto-lock on, then depending on how it went either punish or run away again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i got through the completion requirements by spamming wide area attacks without putting much thought into it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

After the pleasure that is Akiyama, Saijima... ain’t great. He’s a weird, creepy pervert and his combat style is too drat slow.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Yakuza 4 is a pleasure so far, the side content is such a huge step up over 3, I just ran out of Akiyama side quests for now and need to focus on the main story.

I don’t like the changes they made to the chase scenes though, I can’t get the hang of using R1 to dart around corners

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

QUEER FRASIER posted:

Yakuza 4 is a pleasure so far, the side content is such a huge step up over 3, I just ran out of Akiyama side quests for now and need to focus on the main story.

I don’t like the changes they made to the chase scenes though, I can’t get the hang of using R1 to dart around corners

If you’re doing all the hostesses, make sure you don’t miss the hostess maker stuff. You have about a 5 minute window to do it. You’ll get a phone call to come to Elise and help and if you don’t basically do all four hours of it then, you miss it forever because if you do anything more, you wrap up Akiyama’s story.

I absolutely loved Akiyama. He quickly became one of my favorite characters in the series. I’m still adjusting to Saijima. Saijima’s combat style feels very awkward and I hate it so far. Hoping my opinion changes. He’s also a big creepy weirdo. But I just got to Kamurocho with him so I hope my opinion changes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mordiceius posted:

After the pleasure that is Akiyama, Saijima... ain’t great. He’s a weird, creepy pervert and his combat style is too drat slow.

Level up a bit and Saejima crushes everything.

That one scene with Haruka is an abberation, he's basically a monk aside from that and they should've just cut it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Saejima is a good character but his introductory chapter and that one scene with Haruka are not great starts. Once you upgrade his moveset he's just as strong as Kiryu

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah. I just hate how slow he is. I like faster characters.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

As you level him Saejima turns from slow and pretty awkward to the best goddamn killing machine in the game. It's insane how little effort you need to put in to kill anything as Saejima.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I just hate how slow he is. I like faster characters.

He feels incredibly slow when you first start, but as you get him leveled up, not only does his combat speed improve, but you reach a sweet spot with his movelist where his combat style really comes together; you're basically constantly throwing out incredibly strong charge attacks that only take a moment to fully wind up, and you're pretty much invulnerable while you're doing it. Every character feels like crap until you hit a certain point, it's just part of the adjustment. His speed only really feels like a problem when you're first starting off and about the only thing you can do are the basic combos; eventually he turns into a complete beast. Like some kind of, I dunno, big cat.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the second worst thing about saejima in 4 is that using his heat actions drastically weakens him, even though his heat actions in 4 are super loving sweet and a lot of them were later recycled for kiryu's use. the worst shouldn't need to be explained.

beast style in 0/k1 is mostly saejima.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
In Kiwami 2, how am I supposed to play the golfing challenges? Is there some way to curve the ball around the obstacles, or am I just supposed to hit it perfectly to go between them? The margin of error seems insanely narrow.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

And another question - is there no skill that would allow me to pick up the largest furniture or a motorcycle and smash into someone's face like in 0? It's just chairs, signs and regular bikes so far, wtf Kiryu you got old

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
edit: oh, k2. yeah, your ultimate mode lets you pick up large objects.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

grate deceiver posted:

In Kiwami 2, how am I supposed to play the golfing challenges? Is there some way to curve the ball around the obstacles, or am I just supposed to hit it perfectly to go between them? The margin of error seems insanely narrow.

honestly just look up a video guide and try to replicate the hitting conditions

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just don’t do golf it loving sucks

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I finished Kiwami last night! Ended up around 54% completion but I can't tell if that means a huge amount of sidequests left open or a bunch of poo poo like 'win at pool' and 'play more of the sexy bug game'. Overall I liked it but it was...uneven.

-The fight with Majima at Shangri-La was great, maybe one of the best in the game. I also like that that was clearly his next actual appearance in the original game hence the bandaged abdomen so they had to add that scene where he gets shot at the docks :allears:

-The plot is....uhh, questionable. I know 0 also had a habit of the last 1/4th being lots of heavy exposition punctuated by shirtless fights but man, when you get to the boat and Kazama just dumps the entire plot on you at once it's a little much. It also feels weird that the end of 0 basically sets up this loving family of friends and a seemingly persistent villain and while I knew Nishiki was the villain in this one I didn't expect every major NPC still alive at the end of 0 to die here. It retroactively makes Shimano's scheming seem way more lucky than smart in 0 because his decade+ master plan here ended up with him throwing grenades at a boat and then getting shot like a dipshit. And then some guy takes over Tojo that I barely recognized as being friends with Kazama or something because he seriously had like four lines.

-Speaking of 0, unless I missed them I'm sad none of my real estate bros showed back up for a little side story. I spent so much time in that office writing postcards and collecting payouts it's strange that the only reference to it I saw was brief conversation with Majima at the hostess club.

-Does every Yakuza game have a lady become temporarily disabled in some way due to psychological trauma because we're two for two at this point

-The coliseum fights with mandatory weapons is the worst thing I've ever played, it was so bad it actually made me like pocket circuit racing a little more

-Speaking of, I wasn't gonna bother with pocket circuit anymore but during karaoke when Kiryu breaks down crying over a pic of him and Pocket Circuit Fighter from the 80s I was like fine, I'll at least finish his substory. I didn't realize to get the parts to even have a hope of beating the final race of his substory you'd have to progress through like 90% of the tournament anyway. Two hours of following a guide later and it's done. Please tell me Kiryu has satiated his hunger for tiny electric toy cars and does not continue his pocket circuit hobby in the next five games.

-I didn't like Jingu coming in as the secret ultimate badass villain in the last 10% of the game but his evil laugh is so wonderfully absurd that I still ended up appreciating him overall. Also every time Yakuza gives you a combat gauntlet with gun guys so you just end up gunning down a bunch of guys then taking their guns to gun down the next set of guys its a nice change of pace so it was a pretty decent finale.

-Other than for a trophy, is there any reason to run around in Premium Adventure doing tasks for Haruka? Is there more story stuff there or is it just kinda the same cutesy bonding overall and a meter going up?

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 14, 2020

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just ran into the sidequest in K2 where a young woman is kidnapped and sold into sex slavery and uhhh, seems kinda weird in tone in a game where I'm catching panty thieves, bringing comedy duos together, beating up scammers and being chased by the Ring girl.

And then to thank me for the rescue, her sister comes to work at my hostess club :pwn:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Yeah, Yakuza has it's ups and downs but on the whole it is loving awful about women in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Kiwami was a faithful remake of 1, which is how you get that one janky cutscene where Kiryu kicks a door open and a goon just crumples into a pretzel. It's not surprising that the depth added in 0 doesn't necessarily translate. I think if they had redone the game perhaps you don't get all of Kiryu's friends and family dying, maybe Reina or Shinji makes it out

a 5 thought: I was playing through the end of Part 3, and I was reminded of how Haruka is just not scared at all of Kanai. Girl has seen some poo poo and it shows. Katsuya makes sure he knows this too in that great scene to close the part.