Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ChiefWiggumFiringAtVirusCloud.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sid Vicious posted:

so far he hasn't got coronavirus

:hmmorks:

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Trust The Plan. Donald is playing 5D Chess and once global warming ramps up a few more degrees, it will certainly kill the virus. It just isn't hot enough so the projections that the heat would kill it were fake science. Sad how many of you liberal losers just don't get it, when it just 'goes' away will you vote for Trump then?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Michael Corleone posted:

Trust The Plan. Donald is playing 5D Chess and once global warming ramps up a few more degrees, it will certainly kill the virus. It just isn't hot enough so the projections that the heat would kill it were fake science. Sad how many of you liberal losers just don't get it, when it just 'goes' away will you vote for Trump then?

quote:

"It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear," Trump said at the White House Thursday as the virus marched across Asia and Europe after US officials said the US should brace for severe disruption to everyday life.
- 2/28

e: maybe he meant our lives, clever

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

this is true, but it feels like something that the actual news media should have a responsibility to deliver and abjectly fails at

if your main source for information about a deadly disease is a stand-up getting hotboxed with the guy from ancient aliens, I'm not sure thorough source-checking is going to help you much

yeah but if you're not a lazy rear end in a top hat you'd do a tiny bit of prep to make sure you're not misinforming a bunch of people who watch your poo poo

originally you were riffing on goons for thinking rogan was bad when it sounds like...hes bad

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Inept posted:

yeah but if you're not a lazy rear end in a top hat you'd do a tiny bit of prep to make sure you're not misinforming a bunch of people who watch your poo poo

originally you were riffing on goons for thinking rogan was bad when it sounds like...hes bad

I think with this pandemic, joe crossed the line from “entertaining, dumb but harmless” into actively harming people, this is what bothers me

2019 “haha he’s talking about killer hyenas and DMT again, oh here comes the legalize marijuana rant lol”

2020 “oh... oh no... Joe, no”

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 13, 2020

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

heres a stupid question

what are the BENEFITS of covid?
are any brave scientists doing the real research??

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

GolfHole posted:

heres a stupid question

Staggering amounts of money is being funneled into vaccine technologies which will be useful against things that are not coronavirus once this is all over.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Saros posted:

Staggering amounts of money is being funneled into vaccine technologies which will be useful against things that are not coronavirus once this is all over.

but the story i hear from people in pharmaceuticals is that this has basically offset the research and logistics of multiple other projects to the point it will take 20-30 years to recover the industry

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I got tested for COVID this morning due to sudden flu-like symptoms and I was positive.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

I got tested for COVID this morning due to sudden flu-like symptoms and I was positive.

Ah gently caress good luck! That's brutal. Are you relatively healthy?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

good luck friend. do your prep work, have people check in with you, keep posting

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

GolfHole posted:

heres a stupid question

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1282738334381547521

https://twitter.com/taylalanae_/status/1281986394248720385

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

GolfHole posted:

heres a stupid question

Eh. Around mid-March, when the org I work for basically shut down all its offices world-wide, we got a whole bunch of guidance on what we should consider moving forward.

One of the little rules near the bottom of the email that stuck with me was that despite (or perhaps because of) the fact that we're a conservation organization we needed to be extremely careful when discussing possible environmental impacts of the global shutdown... because going "holy poo poo global carbon emissions are way down, isnt that great!?" Is pretty loving monstrous given everything else that's happening.

So we dont talk about it. But we're all very curious.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

oh i was being way more facetious

like sure maybe it clots your blood but bones are 5% stronger or something

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Ah. Yeah. Well poo poo. If this is how the human race gets mutant super powers I'm gonna be real pissed I've spent the last two months only grocery shopping when all the locals are at church.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

https://twitter.com/m_bandrs/status/1282519304467087360?s=20

I will be phoning my local government office to see about implementing cum and jizz as soon as possible.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

"I'm a Carly Fiorina voter, and my life matters" :kheldragar:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

California is shutting a bunch of stuff down again

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1282752861835649024?s=20

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

https://twitter.com/m_bandrs/status/1282519304467087360?s=20

I will be phoning my local government office to see about implementing cum and jizz as soon as possible.
:awesome:

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1282754404450537473

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

GolfHole posted:

but the story i hear from people in pharmaceuticals is that this has basically offset the research and logistics of multiple other projects to the point it will take 20-30 years to recover the industry

I'm in the biz and to give a serious response to a not so serious question vaccine & anti-infective research was previously maybe half a percent of pharma R&D worldwide despite still being one of the most onerous disease burdens. It just isn't a profitable field compared to basically any other therapeutic area. Even now the money rolling in is still a bare fraction of pharma spend so while some projects may be delayed or cancelled that will largely be down to the worldwide economic downturn not Covid stealing all the money.

Just as an example if the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine is approved and works it will be the first ever approved Adenoviral vaccine and it's hard to overstate how big a deal that is for future development.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

GolfHole posted:

heres a stupid question

Saros posted:

I think scientists accidentally found a potential cure for cerebral palsy Parkinsons in the rush to find the vaccine

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 13, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Saros posted:

Just as an example if the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine is approved and works it will be the first ever approved Adenoviral vaccine and it's hard to overstate how big a deal that is for future development.
As someone who has no idea what that means at all, it would be nice to see it stated how big of a deal it is at all ... and why.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Sid Vicious posted:

Yeah my son is supposed to start junior kindergarten in September, he won't be 4 until September 5th but he understands why we wear masks and everything right now. Of course he also pretends he's shooting the Coronavirus with a gun so idk.

You’re mixing up kindergarten and preschool.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Shaocaholica posted:

Nope it's a mixed class of junior and senior kindergarten

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Shaocaholica posted:

they have all kinds of different names for things before 1st grade now

pre-school
pre-kindergarten
junior kindergarten etc.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

As someone who has no idea what that means at all, it would be nice to see it stated how big of a deal it is at all ... and why.

apparently a university and a pharmaco working together (lmao, the uni develops the drug, then the pharmaco gets billions selling it) have a potential vaccine that's the first of it's kind

I'm just translating what he said, didnt do any research. I'd heard rumbling about this, not gonna be holding my breath but hell yeah itd be sweet if it actually worked

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1282753511155830785

He really thinks the test gives it to people or something

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

There was a post with a link to an imgur album within the last couple days that had a bunch of cool old WW2 propaganda posters shopped for Covid. Anybody got that link by chance?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think scientists accidentally found a potential cure for cerebral palsy in the rush to find the vaccine

Wait what?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1282753511155830785

He really thinks the test gives it to people or something

We have the dumbest president trying to shift blame for his absolutely loving mess of a response. And so many people will hear him and go “he makes a good point”.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Ehud posted:

perfect time to bring everyone back into the office

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Look, if we don’t open any boxes, we will never find any dead cats.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

As fun as it is to dunk on trump, i'm not sure it is altogether helpful to pretend the message his followers receive is: "without the tests less people would have covid"

when the message he intends, and what is received is:

"everyone else has more tests, they just look small because the usa tests the most and they hide their covid cases"
or what he brought up some weeks ago:
"a lot of the covid cases aren't 'valid' as they're people who don't get seriously sick and heal up very quickly on their own and counting them is pointless" (most magas still treat it like the flu, where you only spread it if you are sick enough to have symptoms)

now i know both of these are still wrong

but i think it's useful to recognize that his followers hear *that* and that *that* must be countered, not "hurr the tests give covid"

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Ehud posted:

Imagine if this was done nationally back in mid-June when things started to get expectedly terrible again. :capitalism:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mithaldu posted:

As fun as it is to dunk on trump, i'm not sure it is altogether helpful to pretend the message his followers receive is: "without the tests less people would have covid"

when the message he intends, and what is received is:

"everyone else has more tests, they just look small because the usa tests the most and they hide their covid cases"
or what he brought up some weeks ago:
"a lot of the covid cases aren't 'valid' as they're people who don't get seriously sick and heal up very quickly on their own and counting them is pointless" (most magas still treat it like the flu, where you only spread it if you are sick enough to have symptoms)

now i know both of these are still wrong

but i think it's useful to recognize that his followers hear *that* and that *that* must be countered, not "hurr the tests give covid"

no I think he legitimately thinks more testing means there are more actual cases out there

blundering ignorance and magical thinking are how he's gotten through his entire life with no consequences up to being President. occam's razor.

e:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1282754254613237761

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 13, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

LA and San Diego counties- nope, not reopening schools in person, 100% online, got a month to get ready
OC School Board meeting today- we recommend a full return to normal school with no social distancing or mask wearing

what
the gently caress

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Fenarisk posted:

Wait what?

gently caress, sorry I meant to put down Parkinson's disease on that, I corrected it.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Y’all giving trump too much credit assuming he thinks about corona at all beyond that the case numbers make him look bad.

If he actually did, then the implication that there’s a crap ton of undiagnosed cases out there globally would mean we need to be more cautious and test more, not reopening and less testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fargin Icehole posted:

gently caress, sorry I meant to put down Parkinson's disease on that, I corrected it.

Ok, my turn.

What? There's a potential cure for Parkinson's??