Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Abby's story was just generally more interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

Very much agreed. It also felt like Ellie's part had more "rummage through 20 rooms" sections

I'll admit, the game has a bit too much rummaging.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you guys want a quick source on what people who despise playing as characters you don't want to have a beer with think of the game here's one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ACgoIEv_M

Arist posted:

Yeah, she was just vibing after she'd got her revenge. No more pressing goals happening right now, back to her nightly nightmares of her dad dying over and over again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I swear to God, if YouTube plays me that goddamn Arknights ad ONE MORE TIME

"At the speed of light..." aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

If you guys want a quick source on what people who despise playing as characters you don't want to have a beer with think of the game here's one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ACgoIEv_M

just to be sure, because I'm not clicking it and I'm confused by that description, these are morons right?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

precision posted:

Very much agreed. It also felt like Ellie's part had more "rummage through 20 rooms" sections

I am continually amazed at how I always manage to find exactly one bullet on an enemy who seemed to be very plentifully-supplied with ammunition.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

just to be sure, because I'm not clicking it and I'm confused by that description, these are morons right?

They all appear to be streamers so yeah

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s I think so you know the fireflies are gone for good

Sorry if this has been argued to death, but I thought that the Fireflies weren’t gone and that radio call was legit?

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

precision posted:

The only thing with Abby's section that really bugged me was the whole business of saving Yara, only for her to get shot offscreen a little while later. It's fine from a story perspective, but from a video games perspective I felt like the game was loving me around and giving me boondoggles to eat the time, and that made me start thinking about the main point of whatever Abby was doing was actually to get her in particular places at particular times. But she had more interesting sequences and a wider variety of environments than Ellie does in her first segment.

Imhotep posted:

Sorry if this has been argued to death, but I thought that the Fireflies weren’t gone and that radio call was legit?

Yeah, the implication is that the Fireflies exist and that Abby and Lev make it to them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

A lot of people in the comments are still struggling over 'muscles...on woman...that are unpossible! woman to are look like Pprincess Peach!' so yeah you're on the right track.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Perfectly Safe posted:

Yara ... shot offscreen

Yara is uhhhhh distinctly not shot off screen. She’s actually arguably the most “shot on screen” character in the whole game.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I can see Yara getting a lot of stuff cut from a 5 day version down to 3 on Abby's side, since I don't know what exactly gets expanded 2 days for her.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The extra 2 days would just be you tearing it up at the gym

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I needed a scene featuring Abby repping out some heavy squats while being spotted by Manny. Maybe Owen watches from a distance, pathetically horny. The absence of this makes this game, in fact, Bad and Problematic

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sinten posted:

I needed a scene featuring Abby repping out some heavy squats while being spotted by Manny. Maybe Owen watches from a distance, pathetically horny. The absence of this makes this game, in fact, Bad and Problematic

The FF7Remake squat minigame but it's Abby with a Barbell

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I do wish the game was helmed by someone less insuferrable and terrible, it would make discussing it's failings/strengths a lot easier.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Dewgy posted:

Yara is uhhhhh distinctly not shot off screen. She’s actually arguably the most “shot on screen” character in the whole game.

You're right, for some reason I remembered it as her getting shot by some rando as you were climbing through the window and not directly afterwards. Doesn't change the fact that it's a mean, trivial death.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

None of the deaths in this game feel heroic.

Aside from that Haven Brute. That guy was a champion.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Stormgale posted:

I do wish the game was helmed by someone less insuferrable and terrible, it would make discussing it's failings/strengths a lot easier.

Can you tell me exactly what makes him terrible please because i'd love to know

If its that he was passionate about this game then don't bother actually

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

HampHamp posted:

Can you tell me exactly what makes him terrible please because i'd love to know

If its that he was passionate about this game then don't bother actually

https://twitter.com/Campster/status/1282918531751976961

https://twitter.com/Campster/status/1282919574841810944

Stormgale posted:

quote:

We have actually quite a few transgender people on the team that we were constantly talking with, we read a lot of books, we watched interviews, we brought a consultant in to walk us through a lot of that stuff. And then, once we had filled our mind with that stuff, it's like OK, now we have to forget all that and just treat it like a character, like another person in the world.

It's not diversity for the sake of it - like, OK, let's have a trans character just so we can like check that off the box - no, that actually became a really interesting thing to explore within a religion. Here's someone that is hunted by people that are following this religion, and he's still religious, spiritual, he just interprets the material differently. That's what diversity gets us, a fresh perspective. It's a new way to look at a story.

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2020-07-01-a-spoiler-heavy-interview-with-the-last-of-us-part-2-director-neil-druckmann

Niel Druckman is bad and ignoring the context of writing a Trans character is really stupid.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1271521910661287936

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1271542911583182848

Shall I go on?

Actually I Will, working the people in his studio to the bone to make a videogame is the only thing i'd need to mention but the above is just icing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Since TLOU2 came out I've listened to a few podcasts with Druckmann in it and he didn't come across as an rear end in a top hat. I don't think any of the stuff you posted changes my mind - and I'd probably respond in the same way too if I was in the crosshairs of a chud hate machine.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Since TLOU2 came out I've listened to a few podcasts with Druckmann in it and he didn't come across as an rear end in a top hat. I don't think any of the stuff you posted changes my mind - and I'd probably respond in the same way too if I was in the crosshairs of a chud hate machine.

Sorry I don't give the guy who stated "I'm gonna take advice from trans people and then ignore it because i'm just writing a character" much credit.

I get you liked the game but going "Man he oversaw incredible crunch but he just made a game I like" seems a bit silly.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 14, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Stormgale posted:

Sorry I don't give the guy who stated "I'm gonna take advice from trans people and then ignore it because i'm just writing a character" much credit.

I get you liked the game but going "Man he oversaw incredible crunch but he just made a game I like" seems a bit silly.

you've really got a talent for putting words in other people's mouths huh

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

you've really got a talent for putting words in other people's mouths huh

Is him overseeing/encouraging crunch enough to call him an rear end in a top hat, cause it was in the post you said "nothing there makes me think he's an rear end in a top hat".

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i think that every video game ever above a certain scope has tons of crunch, i think thats just how games get made. This is also the gayest game ever made so you have to give him some credit there.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Stormgale posted:

Honest question because I've not caught up but whats the problem with the trans representation?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Honest question because I've not caught up but whats the problem with the trans representation?

Check the thread around the post of myself I quoted, should be that page and the next there are some good posts on it.

TLDR: Trans pain is so interwoven into almost every piece of trans representation in "Big" media (AAA movies, games, etc) that while A character having their transness be part of their suffering is a fine story choice in abstract, it perpetuates a wider narrative and cultural tone, that has no positive and uplifting or just fun stories to counterbalance.

Caesar Saladin posted:

i think that every video game ever above a certain scope has tons of crunch, i think thats just how games get made. This is also the gayest game ever made so you have to give him some credit there.

I'm gonan take this sincirely and say, maybe if you limit it ot the AAA space this is true but there are much better and more interesting queer games out there.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Stormgale posted:

Is him overseeing/encouraging crunch enough to call him an rear end in a top hat, cause it was in the post you said "nothing there makes me think he's an rear end in a top hat".

none of what you posted, and that I quoted, mentioned crunch.

You have posted:

1. Druckmann complimenting a journalist about an article he wrote and was interviewed for
2. Him saying congratulations to someone I am told is a shithead (he may well be, but this feels like guilt by association)
3. You wilfully misreading a quote you have been called out on before
4. Him clarifying his comments on the dumbass Schindler's List comparison in a way that makes sense to me

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

none of what you posted, and that I quoted, mentioned crunch.

You have posted:

1. Druckmann complimenting a journalist about an article he wrote and was interviewed for
2. Him saying congratulations to someone I am told is a shithead (he may well be, but this feels like guilt by association)
3. You wilfully misreading a quote you have been called out on before
4. Him clarifying his comments on the dumbass Schindler's List comparison in a way that makes sense to me

I'm gonna pick on 3 here. Im sorry you don't read this the same way practically every trans person whose read that quote (including where I got it from) reads that. You seem to have a problem with other people having readings different from yours, considering you keep saying people don't just understand media who differ in opinion to you.

Stormgale posted:

Shall I go on?

Actually I Will, working the people in his studio to the bone to make a videogame is the only thing i'd need to mention but the above is just icing.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Necrothatcher posted:

But he's not responding to chuds there. Especially funny to suggest that about Schreier considering his reporting on the brutal working conditions on the game's development: https://kotaku.com/as-naughty-dog-crunches-on-the-last-of-us-ii-developer-1842289962

There's this massive disconnect between what NG wants the TLoU2 to be and how they want it to be treated.

On the one hand, they clearly want it to be seen as a finely crafted story-driven game that explores deep themes and tells a very emotionally impactful story.
On the other hand, Druchmann shits on people trying to give a more balanced artistic critique that falls short of "TLoU2 is like Schindler's List" in praise, and others shut down attempts at offering critiques by just lumping reactions into the "chud" pile.

With the limitations placed on reviews, it's clear that the preference there was for reviews for be product reviews as much as possible. They can't have it both ways. Take artistic risks in your story, yes, but to then attempt to discredit sub 10/10 critiques of it via censorship, poisoning the well, and gatekeeping comes across as hugely fragile.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Honestly, I'd be cheesed too if I had to read an apparently infinite number of idiot game journos completely missing the extremely obvious point of the game I just released (and that's leaving aside the ones who actively misrepresent it by claiming it's 100% misery from start to finish or get the basic plot wrong)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Honestly, I'd be cheesed too if I had to read an apparently infinite number of idiot game journos completely missing the extremely obvious point of the game I just released (and that's leaving aside the ones who actively misrepresent it by claiming it's 100% misery from start to finish or get the basic plot wrong)

Im sorry we live in a world where your reading is the only correct one and we are all idiots who cannot contemplate the masterpiece that is the last of us part 2, it cannot fail it can only be failed. Come on man this is loving horseshit and honestly I expected someone who could gladly say thatcher was dead would be better at media criticism than this.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Stormgale posted:

Im sorry we live in a world where your reading is the only correct one and we are all idiots who cannot contemplate the masterpiece that is the last of us part 2, it cannot fail it can only be failed. Come on man this is loving horseshit and honestly I expected someone who could gladly say thatcher was dead would be better at media criticism than this.

you know what, it'll probably save time if you just write my posts for me in future.

PM me them.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1276570238125961216?s=20

this was the big one that came to my mind as far as dumb eye-roll inducing poo poo to say goes

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Looking at his twitter and seeing him praise anyone who likes the game and respond like a loving child to anyone who dislikes it is pretty telling, imo. Like i get that people not liking your work kinda sucks but you don't have to respond the way he does. It's a conscious choice and its a bad look.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

This is also the gayest game ever made so you have to give him some credit there.

you don't, and it absolutely isn't

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

we don't and it absolutely isn't

its the gayest real game, i'm not counting lame rear end visual novels or whatever

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It feels weird to take:

Stormgale posted:

"I'm gonna take advice from trans people and then ignore it because i'm just writing a character" much credit.

from

Neil posted:

We have actually quite a few transgender people on the team that we were constantly talking with, we read a lot of books, we watched interviews, we brought a consultant in to walk us through a lot of that stuff. And then, once we had filled our mind with that stuff, it's like OK, now we have to forget all that and just treat it like a character, like another person in the world.

It feels like your invalidating all the trans artists who contributed to the story because they wanted to tell a story about a trans person’s painful journey for acceptance and freedom and that wasn’t what you wanted. I take your point that having a trans character’s transition destroy their lives and kill their family feels excessive but so does literally everything else in this game.

I think it also bears mentioning that as far as representation goes, Lev is skilled, capable, compassionate, and shown to demonstrate incredible strength of will and temperance throughout the game. They are a GOOD character, and for many people will be their first trans character in a AAA game. Isn’t Lev a great role model for them? A compassionate and caring warrior, wise beyond his years, who understands that at some point the violence has to end if life is to go on?

Lev is the only reason JJ and Dina leave Seattle alive.

I understand the need for representation, I do, but no character will ever be perfectly represented, IMO.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

It feels weird to take:

from

It feels like your invalidating all the trans artists who contributed to the story because they wanted to tell a story about a trans person’s painful journey for acceptance and freedom and that wasn’t what you wanted. I take your point that having a trans character’s transition destroy their lives and kill their family feels excessive but so does literally everything else in this game.

I think it also bears mentioning that as far as representation goes, Lev is skilled, capable, compassionate, and shown to demonstrate incredible strength of will and temperance throughout the game. They are a GOOD character, and for many people will be their first trans character in a AAA game. Isn’t Lev a great role model for them? A compassionate and caring warrior, wise beyond his years, who understands that at some point the violence has to end if life is to go on?

Lev is the only reason JJ and Dina leave Seattle alive.

I understand the need for representation, I do, but no character will ever be perfectly represented, IMO.

It's how I read the line, i'm sorry I take "We're going to put this feedback to one side when writing the character" at it's word and that I personally believe that is a bad thing to do.

Again, And I need to stress this.
The narrative taken as a story on it's own is fine, the world scusk so Lev suffers. However this game exists in a wider media culture, where the only trans stories that get to be told are those involving our suffering. Lev is a fine character, but in my opinion until the breadth of trans characters can range from Doom marine, to comedic sidekick, to happy slice of life adventure, stop tipping the scale into "Trans characters are their pain". Why can people not look up to a trans character who is literally Samus aran, or a wise swordsman who teaches the fantasy protagonist how to fight the dark lord. When those stories are being told then I'll stop criticisng people for dark and suffering based trans narratives.

Edit: Also I sitll think even as written Lev's story has issues, the game does a very good job of having abby respect him not wanting to talk about the whole backstory, then his sister does it behind his back. That is an unecessarially lovely thing to do from a character who we are supposed to like and empathise with, and isn't painted as a bad thing.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lmao gently caress off