Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

dialhforhero posted:

You say Popetato I say Popetato.

:hmmorks:

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

I randomly caught a scene from Curb your enthusiasm on youtube where they hassled a woman for offering her guests tapwater

Is the tapwater in America really that lovely?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Zzulu posted:

I randomly caught a scene from Curb your enthusiasm on youtube where they hassled a woman for offering her guests tapwater

eh yes and no

if you live in a rich part of the country your water is completely fine, maybe has a little more of a chlorine taste than you'd prefer but totally safe and drinkable and you're a baby for rejecting it as someone's guest

if you live in a poor part of the country your water could easily have industrial toxic waste in it, q.v. flint michigan

larry david is mocking the first group, obviously, because not only do they complain about the taste of tap water, but they also ascribe all sorts of other woo factors to different kinds of water and only drink alkalinized glacier water from the top of a mountain in switzerland or whatever

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Zzulu posted:

It is a massive, massive country, and water flavor isn't necessarily determined by economic status, even the slums in NYC are fed from their fantastic and well engineered water supply.

Well water can have objectionable tastes and odors from minerals, that are safe to drink.

In the US Southeast a lot of the water is very hard and sulphurous, which is unpleasant, but it's safe, I'm on a well that's been tested, but some of the minerals in it make it taste like butt, so I have a little RO unit/charcoal filter that produces delicious water.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

if it's larry david you can rest assured its rich people problems

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
san francisco's tap water comes directly from the hetch hetchy reservoir in yosemite national park. it's got so little sediment and gunk in it that they don't even have to filter it -- it is piped down the mountains to the city, has chlorine added at a treatment station, and goes straight from there to your house. every morning i get up and take a dump directly into some of the cleanest, purest, healthiest water that has ever existed on the face of the earth.

yet there are still zillions of people here who refuse to drink it. every time i go to the grocery store people are wheeling out jugs and flats of bottled water, nearly always from a company that bottles it at a different spring a few hundred miles south of yosemite, because tap water is gross

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

san francisco's tap water comes directly from the hetch hetchy reservoir in yosemite national park. it's got so little sediment and gunk in it that they don't even have to filter it -- it is piped down the mountains to the city, has chlorine added at a treatment station, and goes straight from there to your house. every morning i get up and take a dump directly into some of the cleanest, purest, healthiest water that has ever existed on the face of the earth.

yet there are still zillions of people here who refuse to drink it. every time i go to the grocery store people are wheeling out jugs and flats of bottled water, nearly always from a company that bottles it at a different spring a few hundred miles south of yosemite, because tap water is gross

Well they add fluoride and I don't want healthy teeth communist mind control

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The real important thing to remember is that bathroom tap water tastes way better than kitchen tap water.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Elviscat posted:

It is a massive, massive country, and water flavor isn't necessarily determined by economic status, even the slums in NYC are fed from their fantastic and well engineered water supply.

Well water can have objectionable tastes and odors from minerals, that are safe to drink.

In the US Southeast a lot of the water is very hard and sulphurous, which is unpleasant, but it's safe, I'm on a well that's been tested, but some of the minerals in it make it taste like butt, so I have a little RO unit/charcoal filter that produces delicious water.

My family is largely split between Texas and Louisiana, and the taste of the water in the two states could not be more different. It's hard to describe, but I think the water in East Texas taste fine--mundane but nothing better on a hot day--but what I've had in West Louisiana is super hard to the point that it changes the texture of the water as well as the flavor. Drinking sweet tea made from Louisiana tap water was like drinking, I don't know, sweetened BC powder or something. You can pretty much taste the rock that was dissolved in it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rydiafan posted:

The real important thing to remember is that bathroom tap water tastes way better than kitchen tap water.

a universal truth

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I live in Sweden and our tapwater is great afaik, but I've been to Spain and they had really gross tapwater. It tasted a lot like chlorine, like from a pool.

It's interesting to see how a basic thing like tapwater can vary so much around the world

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

rydiafan posted:

And bathroom tap water at 3:27am hits even better

Zzulu posted:

a basic thing like tapwater

If you knew how much effort goes into it you would never use the word "basic" to describe tap water

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the bathroom even comes with its own free big gulp

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

That's a 2-bit color palette

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my memory of France and Italy is that nobody drank tap water if they could avoid it

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Zzulu posted:

I live in Sweden and our tapwater is great afaik, but I've been to Spain and they had really gross tapwater. It tasted a lot like chlorine, like from a pool.

It's interesting to see how a basic thing like tapwater can vary so much around the world

Weird thing is American tap water is some of the best in the world (with the exception of areas hit with criminal neglect). But Americans insist on buying bottled water, nearly all of which is just American tap water bottled and resold by giant corporations. It's even stupider than it sounds because there are water stores all over the place that will sell actual reverse osmosis filtered water for like 25 cents a gallon but still idiots buy their bottled tap water. Who knows why.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Melaneus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDsgkRW2hDA

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I lived in the south of France and the tap water there was fine, just over the border in Spain it's pretty gross without a filter but won't kill you.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Swiss tap water was really good, but I still bought the bottled water because tap water doesn't have the bubbles in it.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Don't forget the flammable tap water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LBjSXWQRV8

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Swiss tap water was really good, but I still bought the bottled water because tap water doesn't have the bubbles in it.
Even the guy who eats rear end has standards

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

mind the walrus posted:

Even the guy who eats rear end has standards

I eat it, but I will never drink it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Melaneus posted:

You're a 2-bit color palette

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/fueiho_boogie_/status/1282287264752689152

I thought this was a JoJo for a second

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/davecaos/status/1282469600945410048

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

not 100% with you on this one

but this, right here, this is Art

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Splendid posted:

I lived in the south of France and the tap water there was fine, just over the border in Spain it's pretty gross without a filter but won't kill you.
It is interesting how going over the Pyranees can have such a huge change in water culture. I was on a cycling trip, so I loved how all the squares in spain had water taps, but at restaurants Spanish wine was cheaper than water. I asked to refill my water at a restaurant and I got the line from Idiocracy, "Like from the toilet?".

I don't recall the water being gross, but I drink anything that doesn't stink.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My hometown is built across a limestone ridge, half on top and half below. I never had a problem with the taste of the tap water, but the first time I tried to wash my hands in Ottawa the water was so soft it felt wrong, like it couldn't get the soap off.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Zzulu posted:

It’s not about our water being bad. It’s making fun of weird hang ups and expectations. As a white trash kid in the 80s/early 90s I remember Evian or Perrier were symbols of affluence; if you went to a home or office and they offered you bottled water they were making a statement about their class. Since then it’s become a cheap and plentiful item, so it’s an easy thing to have on hand and offer as a common courtesy to guests. Larry has just taken a fairly benign expectation and blown it out of proportion, which is his whole shtick.

That said, some tap water is extremely bad. Like, er, Flint, Michigan. The water at the carpet store my mom worked at when I was a kid was so sulfurous that it’d make the room smell like farts when you turned on the tap. My grandparents’ well water was brown and would strip your hair down to straw if you showered in it. So lots of people also have it on hand for that reason.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Melaneus posted:

Stored in a 24-bit PNG. It's a crazy world.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I miss having a rainwater tank, that's the tastiest kind of water.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Ok if we are Talking Heads posting:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/dekunokun/status/1282129118583115778