Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Gobbeldygook posted:

The Moto G Power would fit option 2.

I was going to dismiss this after seeing the comparison shots between the pixel 3a and G Power but being 250 dollars less expensive makes it a more even comparison in my mind.

I'm more conflicted after seeing some Pixel 3a information with regards to the Razer purchase, because that camera looks great and I don't need high fps.

I want the oled and camera kind of bad so I'm unsure about the Moto G Power. Thank you though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

MikusR posted:

AOSP is open source. Android (AOSP + Google services) is very much closed source.

I don't think the person suggesting you should somehow engineer your own flagship phone was being serious. At least I hope they weren't.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Toalpaz posted:

I was going to dismiss this after seeing the comparison shots between the pixel 3a and G Power but being 250 dollars less expensive makes it a more even comparison in my mind.

I'm more conflicted after seeing some Pixel 3a information with regards to the Razer purchase, because that camera looks great and I don't need high fps.

I want the oled and camera kind of bad so I'm unsure about the Moto G Power. Thank you though.
Yeah, in the sub-$400 phone bracket you have to make a significant sacrifice somewhere. The Nokia 6.2/7.2, Samsung A51, the iPhone SE v2, Moto G Power, and the Pixel 3* all have various ups and downs to them (and the Pixel 3a and 3a XL have been discontinued, so it's Pixel 3 or 4 or bust). If your priority is a good camera under $400, the iPhone SE v2 is going to beat all non-Pixel contenders but it only has a 4.7" LCD display and it's iOS. If your priority is a good OLED screen and an acceptable camera, the Samsung A51 will probably work for you. edit: Pixel 3 has an excellent camera and is currently under $400 new on Amazon, but it was released in October 2018, so it's only guaranteed to get updates until October 2021 and no headphone jack.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 12, 2020

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Also the iPhone SE camera can't hold a candle to the Pixel in any kind of dim and/or indoor lighting. Otherwise, it's good, and has other advantages over the Pixel. They seem like the two best options for budget price without skimping on camera.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

It backs them up to Google Photos. The app shows you what's backed up and what isn't.
Huh. I wasn't really able to see what's actually backed up but maybe I missed it, thanks.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

sourdough posted:

Also the iPhone SE camera can't hold a candle to the Pixel in any kind of dim and/or indoor lighting. Otherwise, it's good, and has other advantages over the Pixel. They seem like the two best options for budget price without skimping on camera.
Yeah, the iPhone SE is simply the best phone under $400 if you're willing to bite the bullet on Apple, the small LCD screen, and the headphone jack. IP67 rating, same processor as the iPhone 11, wireless charging, 18W charging, good camera, glass & metal frame, dual front speakers, still has a fingerprint reader, and software updates for five years. Coronavirus shifting my screentime from my phone to my computer and eliminating bars & clubs for the foreseeable future is significantly influencing my phone decision making.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I just upgraded my oneplus 5t to android 10 but forgot I was using an old version of the launcher to have vertical recent apps. Had to reinstall it, and after googing around there doesn't seem to be any way to get vertical recent apps in 10, using an old version of the launcher just disables recent apps entirely. So I guess this is just a rant on how much I loving hate horizontal recent apps, and how monumentally stupid it is that it's the standard now. Clearly a worse way of displaying information in every respect. Just mind bogglingly dumb that I can't even choose which way to have them displayed. Rant over, thank you for listening.

I kind of get why some people don't like the horizontal switcher, but I really like being able to select text from the overview.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Huh. I wasn't really able to see what's actually backed up but maybe I missed it, thanks.

You didn't miss it, it looks like Google removed it. The UI might reflect when something isn't backed up, but for now if you tap the account switcher it should say "Backup complete" if everything on the device is backed up and if it isn't there should be a cloud with an up arrow in it on the photos that have not been backed up.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I just upgraded my oneplus 5t to android 10 but forgot I was using an old version of the launcher to have vertical recent apps. Had to reinstall it, and after googing around there doesn't seem to be any way to get vertical recent apps in 10, using an old version of the launcher just disables recent apps entirely. So I guess this is just a rant on how much I loving hate horizontal recent apps, and how monumentally stupid it is that it's the standard now. Clearly a worse way of displaying information in every respect. Just mind bogglingly dumb that I can't even choose which way to have them displayed. Rant over, thank you for listening.

Yeah horizontal app switcher sucks rear end and is just one of the many ways Google is Apple-fying Android with dumb poo poo like that and maxing out four status bar icons because reasons instead of giving you the goddamn option

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Horizontal app switching is awesome on OnePlus devices because you also get a strip of open app icons on the bottom that allow you to either quickly page though the list or jump directly to a particular app.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Rexxed posted:

If you're feeling hacky you can run a constant voltage power supply to the battery contacts at around 4V and forget about batteries or usb all together.

Thanks for the tip, this worked out OK. Tiny soldering was involved of course, but there were some nearby test points that made it easier than I thought it might be.

daphrot
Apr 1, 2018
hey all, have a really weird question. i play a lot of graphically intensive games on my phone (fortnite, honkai impact, etc) and have two questions:
1. what exactly is the CPU lead that apple has over qualcomm and would it matter to me as someone who watches youtube videos in picture in picture while grinding in RPGs
2. are gaming phones worth it to someone who primarily uses their phone to play video games and text others or does a flagship with actual quality control function just fine?

edit: my phone does heat up and i would like to avoid that if possible. i have a oneplus 7 pro and could potentially buy an iphone 11 pro off of someone if i wanted to which is why i’ve been thinking about this

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The power button on my Moto X4 no longer works. Thought it was a case issue, but no, button straight up doesn't respond anymore. I can still turn screen on and off using the thumb thing, but if my phone ever died or turned off or something not sure how I'd be able to turn it back on. Am I reaching the end of this devices planned obsolescence or is there one weird trick I can do to reclaim it?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

daphrot posted:

hey all, have a really weird question. i play a lot of graphically intensive games on my phone (fortnite, honkai impact, etc) and have two questions:
1. what exactly is the CPU lead that apple has over qualcomm and would it matter to me as someone who watches youtube videos in picture in picture while grinding in RPGs
2. are gaming phones worth it to someone who primarily uses their phone to play video games and text others or does a flagship with actual quality control function just fine?

edit: my phone does heat up and i would like to avoid that if possible. i have a oneplus 7 pro and could potentially buy an iphone 11 pro off of someone if i wanted to which is why i’ve been thinking about this

The YouTube app on iOS doesn’t support picture in picture. You can work around it by using the browser, but it’s worse.

It’s a shame, because yes, the iPhones are better gaming phones. Their huge CPU/GPU lead lets them play stuff without getting too hot, although their batteries aren’t great under constant heavy load like that.

Android phones tend to have way bigger batteries to make up for worse efficiency, so the end results are pretty comparable.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

daphrot posted:

Them ROG phones might be good for you, they're supposed to be designed for those use cases, but it sounds like you need a switch, computer or Nvidia shield to me.

Maybe practice good battery usage from battery university and not charge it while gaming. I hardlocked my phone doing that in direct sun once.

daphrot
Apr 1, 2018

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Them ROG phones might be good for you, they're supposed to be designed for those use cases, but it sounds like you need a switch, computer or Nvidia shield to me.

Maybe practice good battery usage from battery university and not charge it while gaming. I hardlocked my phone doing that in direct sun once.

i have a switch, and a computer as well. i work as a security guard and generally spend my days doing nothing, so having a capable phone with some games to mess around with is ideal for my scenario. i can easily get up and go take care of something when i'm needed, whereas a switch or a computer have to be put away

is the ROG phone good? should i buy the one that's available now or wait for a refresh

edit: is there a difference between that phone and the redmagic and the black shark?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks I did not even know that was possible. I use nova launcher so using the old oneplus launcher changes nothing else (hopefully!). At least my Oneplus 3 won't get updated to 10 so I don't have that worry :v:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

daphrot posted:

Is the ROG phone good? should i buy the one that's available now or wait for a refresh

edit: is there a difference between that phone and the redmagic and the black shark?
Sorry, I'm a google fi, pixel boy.

Here's a speculative article though:
https://m.gsmarena.com/asus_rog_phone_3_passes_through_taiwans_ncc_with_6000_mah_battery_and_512gb_of_storage-amp-44219.php

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/13/21322656/google-pixel-4a-official-photo-leak-store

Pixel 4a just randomly showed up on the Google Store as a Nest Wifi. Don't think it's buyable yet.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/13/21322656/google-pixel-4a-official-photo-leak-store

Pixel 4a just randomly showed up on the Google Store as a Nest Wifi. Don't think it's buyable yet.

The latest news has me curious about a 5G version of the 4a. It's really unclear to me what Googles product stack looks like now, or what/when the Pixel 5 will be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm almost certain the 5g Pixel 4a is Google's concession to carriers to get them to carry it in their inventory.

I keep the 5g radios off on my phones, they add nothing constructive.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I'm almost certain the 5g Pixel 4a is Google's concession to carriers to get them to carry it in their inventory.

I keep the 5g radios off on my phones, they add nothing constructive.

What downside is there to the 765/765G phones? Seems like at a minimum, it's more bands, so more options to get a decent signal, even if performance isn't any better than LTE. Also, given that T-Mobile deeply discounted the Pixel 3a at launch, I'm not at all opposed to buying this through a carrier.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

What downside is there to the 765/765G phones? Seems like at a minimum, it's more bands, so more options to get a decent signal, even if performance isn't any better than LTE. Also, given that T-Mobile deeply discounted the Pixel 3a at launch, I'm not at all opposed to buying this through a carrier.

Hard to say since they haven't been released yet. They are probably be fine, but I would guess there will be the occasional update delay like we've seen before on special phones.

I just don't see the benefit of having a 5g phone, all other things being equal.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Does the non-integrated 5G radio cause more battery consumption?

Also, how's the battery life on the Galaxy S20?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 13, 2020

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
If history is any indication, 5G won't be worth it until we reach the point where flagships don't come in separate 5G and non-5G versions.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm smart enough to know 5G won't kill my meemaw, but I also fail to understand why I'd want it on my text-messaging and googling device that's connected to local wifi 99% of the time. Give me back 2G or even 1G. Keep your Gs and knock off some hundos from the price.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Khanstant posted:

I'm smart enough to know 5G won't kill my meemaw, but I also fail to understand why I'd want it on my text-messaging and googling device that's connected to local wifi 99% of the time. Give me back 2G or even 1G. Keep your Gs and knock off some hundos from the price.

Those networks literally don't exist anymore. There's no "knocking hundos from the price" when it would be impossible to use a phone that's only GPRS/EDGE.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Because of how SoCs and high-volume semiconductor manufacturing works, it wouldn't be any cheaper to sell 2G or 3G phones.

You know what does cut cost off? Only having 2.4GHz wifi. I've got some cheapo development phones that only have 2.4GHz Wifi-N, and the LTE on them is considerably faster than the wifi, ha.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Buff Hardback posted:

Those networks literally don't exist anymore. There's no "knocking hundos from the price" when it would be impossible to use a phone that's only GPRS/EDGE.

Not to mention that 4G/LTE has been built into most SOC chips for years now, to the point where you'd probably have a hard time finding one in current production that didn't have it. The economies of scale would also crush you: the $2 you might possibly save by going with a cut-down chip would instantly be lost by trying to sell a product that only appeals to a terribly small market segment, instead of just leaving the 4G/LTE modem in there in the first place.

To his point, for the foreseeable future you probably will be able to save some money by not buying the 5G versions of mid-range phones. The flagships are all going 5G as fast as they can because that's a selling point you're gonna need on the box if you want to charge $1000 for a phone.

Though if you're just using it for text/google on WiFi anyhow, you could always just use a tablet and get something that's probably cheaper and is easier to use for said googlin'.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Khanstant posted:

I had trouble looking up addresses in Google Maps in 2008 on a 2G phone, so, no, thanks!

DrDork posted:

Though if you're just using it for text/google on WiFi anyhow, you could always just use a tablet and get something that's probably cheaper and is easier to use for said googlin'.

I've had tablets for years and almost never reach for one over a phone. It's never in my pocket! And I find it harder to type on than a phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, my LTE service with T-Mobile is over 200mbps most of the time. 5g isn't gonna improve the quality of my internet connection.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Uthor posted:

I've had tablets for years and almost never reach for one over a phone. It's never in my pocket! And I find it harder to type on than a phone.

Sounds like you're in the market for some tablet pants.

https://tacticalgear.com/tactical-pants

I said this as a joke but quickly realized they exist.

Welp. :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Uthor posted:

I had trouble looking up addresses in Google Maps in 2008 on a 2G phone, so, no, thanks!

I think in 2008 I was still printing/writing down mapquest directions and asking someone at a gas station with a smartphone if I got lost. I'm mostly joking about wanting a slow network on the phone, obviously it's better when things are cheaper, but really, the amount of stuff I use my phone for over time has really dropped, and in that regard it's not the network components being wasted. As has been pointed out though, economically not any better to keep making purposefully lesser crap when the mediocre/aging cutting edges do the same job sensibly enough. Even so, my kingdom for an immortal Nexus 5X, i miss u bb

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Oh man I loved my 5x, so much so that I had like 3 of them, as for some reason whenever it died LG would just send me a new one. :shrug:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sounds like you're in the market for some tablet pants.

https://tacticalgear.com/tactical-pants

I said this as a joke but quickly realized they exist.

Welp. :v:

Until JNCOs are back in style, no thanks.

Khanstant posted:

but really, the amount of stuff I use my phone for over time has really dropped

I find that I use my phone more. I use my PC for things like checking my bank and applying for jobs, but my phone for almost everything else. It's kinda silly that I own 3 PCs at this point!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Khanstant posted:

but really, the amount of stuff I use my phone for over time has really dropped

Hey, this is me!

I haven't posted here in a while, and this seems as good a time as any to post about why. Sometime last year I read Cal Newport's "Digital Minimalism", and it brought a sense of clarity and organization to some of the thoughts I'd been having about my (then) excessive phone usage. I highly recommend this book to anyone that feels they are spending too much time on their phone.

I made a custom android launcher that hid almost all my apps behind a few menus and a time delay. The only ones easily accessible were for what I had decided were the important bits of the phone. Dialer, messaging, maps, music, camera, calendar, 2FA, etc. The idea was that I could still get the benefits of a smartphone without letting my phone draw me in to apps that weren't related to whatever reason I was unlocking the phone in the first place. In concert with this simplified launcher, I uninstalled a bunch of apps and disallowed notifications from most. With this setup I broke my phone addiction. I stopped having the knee-jerk reaction to pull out my phone the moment my brain went idle. I didn't pull my phone from my pocket while I was out unless someone called or messaged me, and even then I would respond to whatever task was at hand and put it back in my pocket.

The next stage came more recently. I had broken my addiction but I still found myself carrying my phone around the house with me, just in case someone called or texted. To help with this, I bought a wireless home phone that connects to my phone via bluetooth. Now, I send and receive calls from that phone, and my phone is rarely unplugged from my nightstand these days. If I get a text, I respond via messages for web on my chromebook. It is honestly freeing.

Of course now that I have reduced my phone usage, it matters a lot less what the actual phone is. I've been using the Pixel 2 since it was released, and it's still fine, but with security updates scheduled to end in October, I'll need to make a change. I think I'm finally going to make the switch to ios, specifically because of the longer support window. I'll lose my customized launcher, but I think it has fulfilled its purpose. I just can't support the waste that results from such a short support period. Having owned almost all of the mainline google phones from the g1 to the nexus one to the pixel 2, I never thought I would own a phone long enough to age out of the support window. Newer phones might have better cameras and battery life, but for me cameras have absolutely hit "good enough" territory to where the differences don't matter to me. As for battery, well, my phone probably hasn't been below 60% all year. I'll miss the call screening and auto spam call filtering, but besides that I can't think of any downsides.

If anyone has been struggling with phone addiction and would like some emotional support or suggestions, feel free to PM me.

Shout out to the exactly two people who read all these words, LastInLine and Clam Down.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 14, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Shout out to the exactly two people who read all these words, LastInLine and Clam Down.

ahahaha you get me

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Hey, this is me!

I haven't posted here in a while, and this seems as good a time as any to post about why. Sometime last year I read Cal Newport's "Digital Minimalism", and it brought a sense of clarity and organization to some of the thoughts I'd been having about my (then) excessive phone usage. I highly recommend this book to anyone that feels they are spending too much time on their phone.

I made a custom android launcher that hid almost all my apps behind a few menus and a time delay. The only ones easily accessible were for what I had decided were the important bits of the phone. Dialer, messaging, maps, music, camera, calendar, 2FA, etc. The idea was that I could still get the benefits of a smartphone without letting my phone draw me in to apps that weren't related to whatever reason I was unlocking the phone in the first place. In concert with this simplified launcher, I uninstalled a bunch of apps and disallowed notifications from most. With this setup I broke my phone addiction. I stopped having the knee-jerk reaction to pull out my phone the moment my brain went idle. I didn't pull my phone from my pocket while I was out unless someone called or messaged me, and even then I would respond to whatever task was at hand and put it back in my pocket.

The next stage came more recently. I had broken my addiction but I still found myself carrying my phone around the house with me, just in case someone called or texted. To help with this, I bought a wireless home phone that connects to my phone via bluetooth. Now, I send and receive calls from that phone, and my phone is rarely unplugged from my nightstand these days. If I get a text, I respond via messages for web on my chromebook. It is honestly freeing.

Of course now that I have reduced my phone usage, it matters a lot less what the actual phone is. I've been using the Pixel 2 since it was released, and it's still fine, but with security updates scheduled to end in October, I'll need to make a change. I think I'm finally going to make the switch to ios, specifically because of the longer support window. I'll lose my customized launcher, but I think it has fulfilled its purpose. I just can't support the waste that results from such a short support period. Having owned almost all of the mainline google phones from the g1 to the nexus one to the pixel 2, I never thought I would own a phone long enough to age out of the support window. Newer phones might have better cameras and battery life, but for me cameras have absolutely hit "good enough" territory to where the differences don't matter to me. As for battery, well, my phone probably hasn't been below 60% all year. I'll miss the call screening and auto spam call filtering, but besides that I can't think of any downsides.

If anyone has been struggling with phone addiction and would like some emotional support or suggestions, feel free to PM me.

I wonder if you really need to switch or upgrade from the Pixel 2, even given the support window ending. If you've pared down the apps you use to essentials, it may not be too big a deal losing security updates. Are you still using banking apps on it?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm not interested in using a phone (or any computing device, really) that is not receiving timely security updates. I have more to protect than my banking, and I have no interest in having to pay attention to whatever the latest security fuckup is so I can self-mitigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm not interested in using a phone (or any computing device, really) that is not receiving timely security updates. I have more to protect than my banking, and I have no interest in having to pay attention to whatever the latest security fuckup is so I can self-mitigate.

The current iPhone SE has a very long life ahead of it and is a great value, but with your phone usage pattern it sounds like you'd get just as much out of any of the Android One Nokias, which get 3 years of security updates and start at $120-ish.