Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jose posted:

Kaido is still upset at how that went down so much so he killed the person responsible. You're being ridiculous

Yeah I presume cause he thought he would win without the hags help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I presume cause he thought he would win without the hags help.

You think the extremely suicidal guy who is too strong to kill himself is only mad because he knew he could win without help? Against the only character in the series shown capable of hurting him?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Was he even suicidal back then?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I dont think he was, back then. My theory is that Kaido is clearly bothered about the fact that he doesn't know who would have won that fight without interference, and that he feels like a massive coward for the way he went with Orochi's plan.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hey I found a cool image for when ppl derail the thread. Also what is this from,

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

We haven't yet seen what an awakened Zoan can do. Luffy barely beat katakuri, it still seems far loving fetched that he can take kaido or mom alone

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

But the zoan jailers in Impel Down were described as being awoken. Luffy was able to deck the cow one with a wax pillar bullet.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Meme Emulator posted:

Hey I found a cool image for when ppl derail the thread. Also what is this from,
That looks like Inuyashiki.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

i think its the anime where the grandpa is a robot

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Can Of Worms posted:

That looks like Inuyashiki.

ah....yes, this.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Tir McDohl posted:

I dont think he was, back then. My theory is that Kaido is clearly bothered about the fact that he doesn't know who would have won that fight without interference, and that he feels like a massive coward for the way he went with Orochi's plan.

It’s easy to see he’s not 100% enamoured with his current situation, given the heavy drinking, sulking, and suicidal leap from a sky island. I don’t doubt that Orochi’s involvement is a part of that, but I would also bet that the SMILE situation is a big factor. Even before the SAD and SMILE factories were shut down, it’s not like the SMILEs are all that great of a realization of his “all zoan army” dream. The 10% that actually DO work are still crapshoots to get something that’s actually useful, to say nothing of the many failures.

I’m definitely thinking that having to compromise on his principles and later even his dreams has probably worn him down over the years.

EDIT: I mean, one of his Headliners is a dude with a lion sticking out of his waist. And the lion thinks for himself and will sack the dude.

HOLDEM WAS A “SUCCESS!” I would be depressed, too.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 13, 2020

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

i am tim! posted:

I’m definitely thinking that having to compromise on his principles and later even his dreams has probably worn him down over the years.

The idea of Kaido's crew being pirates who gave up on their dreams in the face of Kaido's might feels like it plays into this too. Kaido is quickly becoming one of my favorite villains because even though they haven't fully revealed what his deal is, he is already an extremely complex character who has complicated motivations and struggles. I really hope he gets a flashback before the end of Wano.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Tir McDohl posted:

The idea of Kaido's crew being pirates who gave up on their dreams in the face of Kaido's might feels like it plays into this too. Kaido is quickly becoming one of my favorite villains because even though they haven't fully revealed what his deal is, he is already an extremely complex character who has complicated motivations and struggles. I really hope he gets a flashback before the end of Wano.

It's so funny; all I had on Kaido was him jumping from a sky island and living and just generally seeming like a generic evil overlord and then the whole Wano arc practically shattered that image of him.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Oda, the man with two daughters he clearly adores, killing Pound, the character whose entire characterization was wanting to meet his two daughters, is absolutely unthinkable imo.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I forgot Pound was even supposed to be dead lol

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

i am tim! posted:

But the zoan jailers in Impel Down were described as being awoken. Luffy was able to deck the cow one with a wax pillar bullet.

There's a big difference between some mook having an awakened fruit and an emperor.

We all know how stupid broken foxy's fruit was, but literally still can't win a fight

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also see Wapol, the man with a fruit that let him eat anything and assimilate it into himself but still got beaten fairly handily by Luffy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ubiquitus posted:

We all know how stupid broken foxy's fruit was, but literally still can't win a fight

He nearly beat Luffy. He gave a better fight then Eneru did. The only reason he lost is cause his beam got reflected cause a mirror shard got stuck in Luffy's afro.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So did Oven get super bored mid sword swing and gently caress off for lunch? Maybe slip on a banana peel and Pound ran off while he was face planting?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Ubiquitus posted:

There's a big difference between some mook having an awakened fruit and an emperor.

I would love it if we found the previous holder of that fruit was some stupid strong pirate or someone like Rocks who really used it for all it's worth.

It made someone like Foxy crazy strong, can you imagine it in the hands of anyone with actual strength.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Caidin posted:

So did Oven get super bored mid sword swing and gently caress off for lunch? Maybe slip on a banana peel and Pound ran off while he was face planting?
He probably just thought Pound was dead and left, letting the poor guy crawl away later. I mean Oven had a lot more to worry about than Pound given all the poo poo that was going on at the time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

MonsterEnvy posted:

He nearly beat Luffy. He gave a better fight then Eneru did. The only reason he lost is cause his beam got reflected cause a mirror shard got stuck in Luffy's afro.
Enel was hard countered by luffy, poor guy never had a chance.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

No Wave posted:

Enel was hard countered by luffy, poor guy never had a chance.

i mean if the new world has shown us anything it was that he indeed could very easily have beaten luffy but was a lazy bum

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TheLoneStar posted:

He probably just thought Pound was dead and left, letting the poor guy crawl away later. I mean Oven had a lot more to worry about than Pound given all the poo poo that was going on at the time.

Pound and Big Mom were a couple... I'm just going to assume any of her partners are far more sturdy and durable than the norm for one piece verse.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I'm curious what was special about Pound that Big Mom wanted to have kids with him. Based on his treatment she didn't seem to like or care about him very much, so there must have been another reason.

She had them at the point where she was already having half-fishman, half-long leg, etc. children, so I wonder if there was anything special about where he came from or his fighting abilities that we didn't see.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

JahRoo posted:

I'm curious what was special about Pound that Big Mom wanted to have kids with him. Based on his treatment she didn't seem to like or care about him very much, so there must have been another reason.

She had them at the point where she was already having half-fishman, half-long leg, etc. children, so I wonder if there was anything special about where he came from or his fighting abilities that we didn't see.

Maybe she thought he was part of the mythical Big Head Tribe.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I wonder if Hawkins is going to show up again. He is generally pretty interesting.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I wonder if Hawkins is going to show up again. He is generally pretty interesting.

He'll show up only so we can have a moment where he reads his cards and predict defeat for the strawhats right before they claim victory

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Basil Hawkins will turn out to be integral to the plot and lore when it's revealed that he is actually a straw hat that ate the Human-Human Fruit, Model: Magical Fortune Teller Guy.
He had to keep his true identity and power a secret so he wouldn't meet the same fate as Big Hat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I forgot Pound was even supposed to be dead lol

Same lol

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

JahRoo posted:

He's pretty big. Big mom has always wanted big children so they could all sit at the same table.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Yeah, and even the crew thought he might be a giant until they got him out f the ground. I wouldn’t be surprised if we found out Big Mom thought he might’ve been half-giant and was hoping for some bigger kids.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pound made a real good impression at the speed dating thing they met at.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I mean, his name is Pound. Big mom got her hopes up it would be a good lay.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Plebian Parasite posted:

He'll show up only so we can have a moment where he reads his cards and predict defeat for the strawhats right before they claim victory

seems more likely that he predicts a 50/50 chance and joins them to tip the scales

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
More like in the middle of everything going to hell he's going to try a reading on Kaido, see 99% odds of surviving the day, and do the face

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
pound seems like a supportive father and a genuinely kind person. very rude for everyone to be judgmental of someone who cares about his children.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

brainSnakes posted:

I mean, his name is Pound. Big mom got her hopes up it would be a good lay.

Two kids. She might've been right.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Now that really begs the question of who fathered the decuplets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Look, is there any proof that Gin isn’t one of Big Mom’s kids?

Just asking questions