Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BigDave posted:

No, I don't spend more then a thousand a month. It's literally just my gas card and Comcast bill, with the occasional car repair or maintenance cost.

That's likely why. Any time I bang off the limit I get a raise. Capital One is known for being predatory in their lending which is likely why they're extending you credit you can't afford. Not to say I can afford the amount of credit I have available to me on demand, but I do bang off the limit once or twice a year for various things so they keep raising it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

That's likely why. Any time I bang off the limit I get a raise. Capital One is known for being predatory in their lending which is likely why they're extending you credit you can't afford. Not to say I can afford the amount of credit I have available to me on demand, but I do bang off the limit once or twice a year for various things so they keep raising it.

interesting! i'm pretty low-income and capital one has by far been the most generous with credit increases. like my situation with the ollo card previously, i just wanted something with a higher limit for a catastrophic emergency. i'll make sure to have a monthly recurring charge on my remaining couple cards

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

H110Hawk posted:

Well jokes on them, I just use my Cap One for my Spotify account!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there a thread for credit issues? I’m trying to help my dad clear up some things that have popped up after a lifetime of good credit.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
be the change you want to see :justpost:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but I don't know of a better place.
Is there good thread somewhere about time management and productivity? I work by myself and for myself and pretty much get what I need to get done, but I'd like to get a little better about tracking my time and getting more out of that time. I feel like I got more done when I had someone else around-just that little pressure of someone noticing what you're doing helped keep me focused. Part of it is probably that running my own business is more complicated and I'm pulled in more directions than I used to be when I just was focused on production. I'm never sure if at X moment I should be working on a job or doing the books or eating lunch or working on marketing or responding to emails etc etc. I think figuring out how to schedule all that, as well as get better at developing (and following!) schedules for jobs themselves, would help me, but I'm not really sure where to start.
Any recommended books/apps/advice aside from 'log off'?

I've read 'E-myth revisited' and from developing a business plan have a decent idea of what the financials should look like (and surprisingly, the reality doesn't look hugely different) I'd just like to figure out how to reach those goals more efficiently and not feel so scattered all the time.

David Allen's "Getting Things Done" is a book/system that has worked well for me both personally and professionally. If there's a more recent edition great, but if not, the original, paper/file based system is easily adaptable to your choice of technology, and there is a wealth of blog posts out there on the subject. For me the tech tools are pretty basic: Evernote (at home) and a Google Doc I use as a workspace during the week. I grudgingly use Microsoft To Do on my phone for things like grocery lists/errands when I'm out and about, but the Google Doc is generally fine as I've got access to a computer at work/home. If you want to go full analog, look up the Hipster PDA that was in vogue 8-10 years ago.

Personalising the "weekly review" so that it's useful to you will take some trial and error, but I find that the whole system really helps with keeping short, medium, and long range goals in sight. I can't remember if Allen mentions it or not, but I've taken to doing short "daily reviews" both to help make smaller course corrections as well as flesh out much of the weekly review as I go along. I also use it for tracking daily habits (part of overall weekly review).

Something I came across online ages ago and have found works for helping me reign in "productive procrastination" during unstructured work time is to just log what I do - I made up a template with ten minute increments for my waking hours and just write down what I did during that time - drawing an arrow down for longer blocks. The "meta work" of doing this obviously eats into your time and headspace a bit, but I find it's worth the trade-off in terms of making me more aware of time passing and focussing me on having a lot of high-value "wins" to look back on at the end of the day.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I grudgingly use Microsoft To Do on my phone for things like grocery lists/errands when I'm out and about,

Buy "anylist", it's great. My wife and I have the family license which let's you sync between users, share lists, etc. It's awesome. She can add things to the grocery list while I am at the store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.purplecover.anylist (It's cross platform, I'm on android and my wife is on ios.)

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 2, 2020

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

iOS’s native “reminders” app has shared lists that update in real-time. It’s quite poorly advertised considering the utility of it.

For example:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but I don't know of a better place.
Is there good thread somewhere about time management and productivity? I work by myself and for myself and pretty much get what I need to get done, but I'd like to get a little better about tracking my time and getting more out of that time. I feel like I got more done when I had someone else around-just that little pressure of someone noticing what you're doing helped keep me focused. Part of it is probably that running my own business is more complicated and I'm pulled in more directions than I used to be when I just was focused on production. I'm never sure if at X moment I should be working on a job or doing the books or eating lunch or working on marketing or responding to emails etc etc. I think figuring out how to schedule all that, as well as get better at developing (and following!) schedules for jobs themselves, would help me, but I'm not really sure where to start.
Any recommended books/apps/advice aside from 'log off'?

I've read 'E-myth revisited' and from developing a business plan have a decent idea of what the financials should look like (and surprisingly, the reality doesn't look hugely different) I'd just like to figure out how to reach those goals more efficiently and not feel so scattered all the time.

I’d checkout the podcast cortex, specifically episode 101 where they talk a lot about their productivity apps hey use.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This may be a weird question/not the right place, so apologies in advance if that's the case! But, I'm trying to help someone out looking for information or somewhere where they would be able to ask certain questions from the perspective employee / unemployment questions. Not specifically COVID related. Specifically in FL and regarding unpaid time off that the employer considers covered under ADA, and specifically if - as not eligible presently for paid FMLA coverage - un/underemployment could be applied for. I've bashed my head into Google and looking around various places, and have struggled to find information.

Any help or pointed directions where to have them even start would be appreciated.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Snowy posted:

Is there a thread for credit issues? I’m trying to help my dad clear up some things that have popped up after a lifetime of good credit.

Doccykins posted:

be the change you want to see :justpost:

Ok I don’t think I have enough here for a thread so here goes..

My dad is over 80 and generally responsible with money, if not super attentive. Also he sucks at anything tech related.

He fell for one of those tech support scams where they basically blind call and say they’re Apple support or whatever and want to sell you something like antivirus coverage.

He soon realized his mistake and closed the account that he had used to pay them. The problem is, he had some bills being autopaid from that account, and while the bank apparently told him the autopays he set up would carry over to the new account, they didn’t.

So he was late with several payments. Not a huge problem except he wants to refinance his mortgage while rates are low, and now his credit score has gone from the upper 700s down to 620. The minimum for refinancing through his bank is 650, so he was denied.

He was hoping to find a credit repair service of some kind but I don’t think there’s anything quite that simple.

Is there any good advice I can give him that would help him raise his score relatively quickly?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Snowy posted:

Ok I don’t think I have enough here for a thread so here goes..

My dad is over 80 and generally responsible with money, if not super attentive. Also he sucks at anything tech related.

He fell for one of those tech support scams where they basically blind call and say they’re Apple support or whatever and want to sell you something like antivirus coverage.

He soon realized his mistake and closed the account that he had used to pay them. The problem is, he had some bills being autopaid from that account, and while the bank apparently told him the autopays he set up would carry over to the new account, they didn’t.

So he was late with several payments. Not a huge problem except he wants to refinance his mortgage while rates are low, and now his credit score has gone from the upper 700s down to 620. The minimum for refinancing through his bank is 650, so he was denied.

He was hoping to find a credit repair service of some kind but I don’t think there’s anything quite that simple.

Is there any good advice I can give him that would help him raise his score relatively quickly?

If that call was recorded he should call those companies that dinged him and plead his case. He was the victim of a crime, his bank promised him that his autopays would work, and they did not. "I am a customer in good standing who fixed the problem after I was a victim of a crime. Please remove the derogatory mark from my credit report." if they refuse despute them all. I would escalate with the bank to get the refi he deserves.

What's his current loan at?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thank you, I’m going to run that past him and see if he can try. He may not have thought to try to escalate it, he’s not one to try to speak with the manager usually.

H110Hawk posted:

What's his current loan at?

I’m not sure since he has a couple accounts, he was using Amalgamated Bank, where I think he has his loan, but he may have switched the autopay to another bank’s account out of anger. Also he tends to try to find the most ethical banks which also never seem to have good customer service, but we’ll see.

If that doesn’t work and there’s other things he can do I’m all ears.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
This might be the margaritas talking but if he's not one to slowly and meticulously grind down the other side into dust have you considered calling and being your dad? (With his permission.) I do this with my wife and friends when I am feeling spiteful of how terribly a company is treating them. Make sure you take down their ssn, dob, moms maiden name, security questions, etc in advance. Take notes.

Kill them with kindness but expect results. Have an idea in your head of what you will settle for and work backwards from there. You need them to feel compassion for your plight, and isn't there a way that they can waive this one time. Thank you. I know you personally aren't the bad guy here, corporate makes the rules. Is there a supervisor I could talk to? What was your name again? And is there a reference number? Awesome. Would you like me to fill out a survey for you?

You get the idea.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oh, hey, I might be able to help here a bit. As someone who works front line for a major financial institution I have actually run into incredibly similar calls like this and trying to help correct the pieces.

So, a few important things to note. H1 above is entirely correct about kill with kindness/but be firm and expect results. Can't speak for all banks and the like, but this generally isn't going to be something that can be cleared up by a base level or even possibly in one call. With us, only the supervisor level has access to recorded calls across the call centers, so you may need to push for some escalation to get someone who can actually pull the call and take action.

Secondly, I would strongly advise against pretending to be your dad, at least with the bank, directly. Again, can only speak for us, but especially with someone at an older age, alarm bells tend to go off and while you might be able to work it out, it's also a risk of getting a fraud warning applied to the account. Would definitely go with having him on the line with you/at first. Allow him to be properly verified by the customer service representative, go through their procedures, and at that point - so long as he specifically states they have your permission to discuss the account with you, specifically - they should be able to assist on that particular call.

Now, the situation itself is a bit tricky because unfortunately some of the damage is done. That being said, if there is a recorded call, and they *explicitly* advised him of what you said (at least without room for doubt) then if they are indeed anything worthwhile, they should be able to take it from there. Typically for us it would involve a more immediate look at fees incurred on our side (if any) as a result. Depending if the payments were set specifically through the bank or set up through a third party processor (typically this is Web Bill Pay for a lot of places, afaik) then that would fall on where would have to issue advisement letters to the payees that his payments were attempted to be made in time in good faith, it wasn't his fault, etc. (Keep the term 'good faith letter' at hand for this.)

Hopefully, they should be able to help correct the issue, though again I warn it may take a few calls/more than a few days, depending. It really will come down to what, specifically, was said in the call - unfortunately, I've also dealt with a lot of similar situations, we pulled the call, and either the topic didn't come up at all, the representative said the opposite and it was misremembered by the caller, etc. etc.

Best of luck and hope it works out!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Secondly, I would strongly advise against pretending to be your dad, at least with the bank, directly. Again, can only speak for us, but especially with someone at an older age, alarm bells tend to go off and while you might be able to work it out, it's also a risk of getting a fraud warning applied to the account. Would definitely go with having him on the line with you/at first. Allow him to be properly verified by the customer service representative, go through their procedures, and at that point - so long as he specifically states they have your permission to discuss the account with you, specifically - they should be able to assist on that particular call.
This seems like good advice. Pretend to be your dad to get the comcast bill sorted? whatever. But the bank might be a step too far. My mom makes calls with my grandma there and says "Hi this is xxx, I'm calling about my mother xxx's ..." and it seems to go well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

This may be a weird question/not the right place, so apologies in advance if that's the case! But, I'm trying to help someone out looking for information or somewhere where they would be able to ask certain questions from the perspective employee / unemployment questions. Not specifically COVID related. Specifically in FL and regarding unpaid time off that the employer considers covered under ADA, and specifically if - as not eligible presently for paid FMLA coverage - un/underemployment could be applied for. I've bashed my head into Google and looking around various places, and have struggled to find information.

Any help or pointed directions where to have them even start would be appreciated.

lawyer

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Oh, hey, I might be able to help here a bit. As someone who works front line for a major financial institution I have actually run into incredibly similar calls like this and trying to help correct the pieces.

So, a few important things to note. H1 above is entirely correct about kill with kindness/but be firm and expect results. Can't speak for all banks and the like, but this generally isn't going to be something that can be cleared up by a base level or even possibly in one call. With us, only the supervisor level has access to recorded calls across the call centers, so you may need to push for some escalation to get someone who can actually pull the call and take action.

Now, the situation itself is a bit tricky because unfortunately some of the damage is done. That being said, if there is a recorded call, and they *explicitly* advised him of what you said (at least without room for doubt) then if they are indeed anything worthwhile, they should be able to take it from there. Typically for us it would involve a more immediate look at fees incurred on our side (if any) as a result. Depending if the payments were set specifically through the bank or set up through a third party processor (typically this is Web Bill Pay for a lot of places, afaik) then that would fall on where would have to issue advisement letters to the payees that his payments were attempted to be made in time in good faith, it wasn't his fault, etc. (Keep the term 'good faith letter' at hand for this.)

Hopefully, they should be able to help correct the issue, though again I warn it may take a few calls/more than a few days, depending. It really will come down to what, specifically, was said in the call - unfortunately, I've also dealt with a lot of similar situations, we pulled the call, and either the topic didn't come up at all, the representative said the opposite and it was misremembered by the caller, etc. etc.

Best of luck and hope it works out!

Thanks for this and the other advice posts, I really appreciate it. Between my dads age and technical ineptitude and my financial ignorance we can use all the help we can get.

I passed along all those responses and he’s already getting ready to start making calls, he’s feeling inspired.

:glomp:

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Snowy posted:

Thanks for this and the other advice posts, I really appreciate it. Between my dads age and technical ineptitude and my financial ignorance we can use all the help we can get.

I passed along all those responses and he’s already getting ready to start making calls, he’s feeling inspired.

:glomp:

Feel free to hit me up via PM if need be. Glad to hear he's feeling inspired to get this fixed!

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Unemployment for most states require that the applicant is ready, willing, and able to work in order to qualify. So if your friend isn't working because they are not physically able to, then usually they'll get denied unemployment. If the employer is saying the lack of work is due to a disability on your friend's part and your friend disagrees with that assessment, then KYOON GRIFFEY JR is probably right in that they'd need to get an employment lawyer involved.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jesus christ Bank of America is so loving horrible, I am sick and tired of them wasting my time. How do I look for something better for basic checking & savings? Sorry if there is an obvious megathread about this already, I poked around and couldn't find anything.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Jesus christ Bank of America is so loving horrible, I am sick and tired of them wasting my time. How do I look for something better for basic checking & savings? Sorry if there is an obvious megathread about this already, I poked around and couldn't find anything.

Try your local credit union or one of the big online banks like Ally. I've been very happy with PenFed.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I actually still have a PenFed account from when I looked into getting an auto loan from them. Is there any reason not to use them other than the fact I'm in MA and they're (presumably) based in DC/VA?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I actually still have a PenFed account from when I looked into getting an auto loan from them. Is there any reason not to use them other than the fact I'm in MA and they're (presumably) based in DC/VA?

I don't see why that would be a problem. I'm in PA.

They have a good web app, good mobile app, and when you call they pick up the phone immediately and the person you are talking to can actually answer your question/help you. Seems all bang on to me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Look around at credit unions around you. If they're part of the same "network" you can likely go in and use the counter just like at a penfed branch.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Look around at credit unions around you. If they're part of the same "network" you can likely go in and use the counter just like at a penfed branch.

I don't have one of those, so I keep a local CU account. If I need to deposit a check over the mobile deposit limit, need cash over an ATM limit or need other services like a medallion signature I go to them. Easy enough to transfer money around if you plan even slightly ahead and are organized.

I have part of my paycheck deposited to them and keep part of my emergency fund there to remain a customer worth servicing in this way (the local CU).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Charles Schwab's checking account is very good as long as you don't ever have to deposit cash. No foreign transaction fees (if we're ever allowed to leave the country again), reimbursement of your ATM fees, no minimums. You have to open a Schwab brokerage account as well, but you don't have to fund it.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If I am curious (but not actively looking) about jobs working as a contractor for NASA. Is there a portal that will help me find a good fit? I have a PhD + 8 years of industry experience in a niche that has many different applications, and I am not sure what to do besides looking at the JPL job postings (which is a start, but NOT what I am looking for). NASA has many contractros, and I have no idea who works on what. Would I pick a [NASA mission], try to find [gadget] on [NASA mission] where my skills are a match, and then find the contractor that works on [gadget]? There has to be better way!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

theHUNGERian posted:

If I am curious (but not actively looking) about jobs working as a contractor for NASA. Is there a portal that will help me find a good fit? I have a PhD + 8 years of industry experience in a niche that has many different applications, and I am not sure what to do besides looking at the JPL job postings (which is a start, but NOT what I am looking for). NASA has many contractros, and I have no idea who works on what. Would I pick a [NASA mission], try to find [gadget] on [NASA mission] where my skills are a match, and then find the contractor that works on [gadget]? There has to be better way!

If you blow up the moon someone will contact you shortly.
edit: better yet, write your phone number on the moon with a laser. If you're worried about privacy, you can create a Google Voice number for this purpose.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Coco13 posted:

If you blow up the moon someone will contact you shortly.
edit: better yet, write your phone number on the moon with a laser. If you're worried about privacy, you can create a Google Voice number for this purpose.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Coco13 posted:

I did, but I am only getting calls from the Plutonians. I must have put it on the wrong side of the moon.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

theHUNGERian posted:

I did, but I am only getting calls from the Plutonians. I must have put it on the wrong side of the moon.

Ugh, going across the Asteroid Beltline each day? No thank you.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Maybe this ain’t the right thread but, I applied for nj unemployment two months ago and my claim was just processed. I could only find some vague info about retroactive payments, so I’m guessing I’ll certify for those 8 weeks, one at a time back to when my claim was submitted? Do I get it all at once? How does the 600 dollars thing work into it? Hopefully I’ll have enough time to certify them all, they only give a 30 minute window to certify based on your ss number.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Hi goons, thought about moving back home to Chicagoland after spending nine years in rural Indiana working as a pharmacist. Considering COVID and the uncertain job market, I'm thinking it's the safer option to delay moving and just work on paying down debt as fast as possible.

I don't want to disappoint my wife, but it does seem like the most prudent option.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Seems like a decent plan but also apply for jobs and see what happens.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DTaeKim posted:

Hi goons, thought about moving back home to Chicagoland after spending nine years in rural Indiana working as a pharmacist. Considering COVID and the uncertain job market, I'm thinking it's the safer option to delay moving and just work on paying down debt as fast as possible.

I don't want to disappoint my wife, but it does seem like the most prudent option.

I feel like drug dealers are always in demand, though you might wind up working at a meat grinder like CVS. If you're a certified pharmacist there have to be jobs around the Chicagoland area. Is there a state-specific license you have to get or is it a one-and-done thing nationally?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

superloosegoose posted:

Maybe this ain’t the right thread but, I applied for nj unemployment two months ago and my claim was just processed. I could only find some vague info about retroactive payments, so I’m guessing I’ll certify for those 8 weeks, one at a time back to when my claim was submitted? Do I get it all at once? How does the 600 dollars thing work into it? Hopefully I’ll have enough time to certify them all, they only give a 30 minute window to certify based on your ss number.

I’m in NY but I guess it’s similar. Both my gf and I received lump sums of back payments. I think it took about a week or so for it to show up.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

Snowy posted:

I’m in NY but I guess it’s similar. Both my gf and I received lump sums of back payments. I think it took about a week or so for it to show up.

I hope I can call and rectify it, it only let me certify for this week. the call centers for DOL in nj are mobbed at all times of the day, wish me luck. I sent an email though, I wish this wasn’t such an awful experience.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

superloosegoose posted:

I hope I can call and rectify it, it only let me certify for this week. the call centers for DOL in nj are mobbed at all times of the day, wish me luck. I sent an email though, I wish this wasn’t such an awful experience.

Yeah the whole thing was awful and took forever, but you should get your money. If you need to call I’d keep calling first thing in the morning, and on the weekend if possible.

Good luck!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why the gently caress everything cost so much money and also we have to pay so much Taxes