Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sash! posted:

Boothby was good exactly once.

It is so freaking lame that there's this special dude that Picard was buddies with that turns out is, like, everyone's secret buddy.

It's not unheard of. The recently retired director of the University of Wisconsin marching band, Mike Leckrone, was famous for remembering every student he ever had in his band, where they were from, what they majored in, and what instrument they played. And he held that post for fifty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Next season on Star Trek: Picard we learn that Boothby was secretly sexually abusing the younger cadets for decades and it was an open secret on campus the whole time. Picard must confront his inner demons while uncovering the conspiracy, Rios traps himself inside the ship's holodeck with dozens of copies of himself until he experiences ego death.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Tighclops posted:

Next season on Star Trek: Picard we learn that Boothby was secretly sexually abusing the younger cadets for decades and it was an open secret on campus the whole time. Picard must confront his inner demons while uncovering the conspiracy, Rios traps himself inside the ship's holodeck with dozens of copies of himself until he experiences ego death.

He was a ploy by 8472 all this time
They have infiltrated the Starfleet and Zhat Vash and Oui Timbuktu and their mission is to destroy all silicon based people before they will enter the fluidic space and conquer 8472, as it was foretold aeons ago!

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

bull3964 posted:

It looks like VHS because it was (well, not VHS, commercial analog video tape, probably some form of beta).

That's why it looks so much worse than say a film on DVD. A film was at least digitized from the original film elements and even in the early days of DVD they were usually creating an HD master. Finished films existing as SD analog video master only really was never a thing outside of some niche productions. For TV though, an analog video master at the NTSC specification was digitized for the DVDs because it's the only thing that exists and there's really not one hell of a lot you can do with that. The resolution and color information just isn't there and encoding that mess usually highlights the flaws.

Yes, I've seen the AI upscales and they can help with resolution in some cases, but they aren't going to magically restore the missing color information that the original analog video signal lacks. It's funny, NTSC actually has a pretty wide color gamut, but the storage mediums of the time do not. Color information for analog video storage have limited bandwidth.

Any amount of extensive post processing on the existing masters is going to be a lot of time and effort spent to an half product when we have the existing film elements already. That said, it's really not as simple as dumping all the film scans and letting the "community" come up with a finished product as there's a hell of a lot more that needs to be done than finish SFX. The biggest issue is re-creating the edits.

So, you have two alternatives there. You either go back to production notes whenever possible and pull and scan only the film reels thought to have the takes you need (which can be an exhaustive, time consuming search) or you scan it all and partially automate finding the right takes (which is costly since you are paying to scan much much much more footage than necessary to create the final product.)

The SFXs are not the hurdle here. Getting the original film elements into the digital space and piecing together the right takes to create the finished episode is.

All of that said, it's a travesty that it hasn't been done and is emblematic to the actual commitment that CBS has to Star Trek. The film will degrade over time and eventually it won't be possible. To not safeguard the original IP by getting digital scans now is a gross mismanagement of the property. Even if they don't want to spend money to put finished episodes out there now, they need to do it out of preservation alone.

This is what's typically done for older film properties. You scan the original film in at as high a resolution that makes sense for the original elements (usually 8k for 70mm and 4k for 35mm), put together a final master (again, often times 8k or 4k), and then strike a new 35mm film print to go into the vault from that master so you have a high quality analog master that can serve as a backup copy in the future in case the digital master is lost or you can't read it anymore due to changing formats. For TV, you won't scan or master at that at high of a resolution, but doing it at all ensures that we'll be able to preserve this stuff indefinitely.

And, once again I'll say it, if CBS can't figure out a way to monetize HD DS9 and Voyager to the break even point when they have their own streaming service and putting large investments into growing Star Trek as a brand, they are loving morons.

How is "the only source for all of Star Trek in HD" not a gigantic selling point? Trickle them out one episode per week and you have 348 weeks solid of new content. That's over 6 and a half years of weekly new content for the service. Make it an event and release already created special features to go along side it. Include the already created commentary tracks when available. Get some of the actors to film 20 second blurbs on their memories of the episode. Give it some sort of branding like "Boldly Going" or something. This whole thing is about one of the easiest wins to raise the profile of the service per dollar spent.

If nothing else, it'd be awesome to get the unused cuts as well. I bet there's tons of material in there that the INtakes Youtube channel could use. Too bad CBS would never release that stuff in a million years.

Even if it's not HD, I'd kill for DS9 (and yes, Voyager too) in at least as good quality as my MASH dvds.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
What’s really gonna gently caress remasters starting soon is the early digital stuff that was filmed at 1080p and that’s it. 4-8k for those is just not gonna be possible outside of upscaling.

Hell, I think even Discovery is only filmed at 2k.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

How high definition does stuff really need to be, though? I feel like 1080p is fine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

Both Discovery and Picard shoot on Arri Alexa Minis, which can shoot in 4K UHD, but I don't know for sure which mode they use during the production.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

Both Discovery and Picard shoot on Arri Alexa Minis, which can shoot in 4K UHD, but I don't know for sure which mode they use during the production.

There’s a production shot out there which indeed shows the Arri Alexas, but the info on the display shows they’re shooting at 2k, IIRC.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

How high definition does stuff really need to be, though? I feel like 1080p is fine.

Like, I'd be fine with 1080p DS9 for the rest of my days.

Watching Duet one last time while I'm hooked up to my DeathPod, surrounded by visitors in the hospice constantly streaming their AR entertainment on their cybereyes while trying not to pay attention to their surroundings.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Timby posted:

It's not unheard of. The recently retired director of the University of Wisconsin marching band, Mike Leckrone, was famous for remembering every student he ever had in his band, where they were from, what they majored in, and what instrument they played. And he held that post for fifty years.

Our freshman class was only like 600 kids but the shuttle driver from campus to the local mall knew every single one to this level of detail, it was pretty amazing

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Like, I'd be fine with 1080p DS9 for the rest of my days.

Watching Duet one last time while I'm hooked up to my DeathPod, surrounded by visitors in the hospice constantly streaming their AR entertainment on their cybereyes while trying not to pay attention to their surroundings.

I’d happily settle for just 720p. The existing version has to be 360p in some episodes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HD DAD posted:

What’s really gonna gently caress remasters starting soon is the early digital stuff that was filmed at 1080p and that’s it. 4-8k for those is just not gonna be possible outside of upscaling.

Most major motion pictures from 2000 even through today only have a 2k DI. That's why the majority of 4k releases are upscaled.

That's fine through, the real star of the UHD show is HDR and WCG.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

AntherUslessPoster posted:

He was a ploy by 8472 all this time
They have infiltrated the Starfleet and Zhat Vash and Oui Timbuktu and their mission is to destroy all silicon based people before they will enter the fluidic space and conquer 8472, as it was foretold aeons ago!

The angry synthetic tentacles invade our reality only to discover everyone's moved to fluidic space

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

tentacles all swingin' like a dad's arm in the back seat while driving, "You kids quit advancing AI tech!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d happily settle for just 720p. The existing version has to be 360p in some episodes.

Everything would have been finished at 720x480i for NTSC resolution.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alright, first dud of the DS9 "re"watch. Move Along Home is very bad. I feel like every 90s episode had the "we're all trapped in a game" episode, from X-Files to Baywatch Nights. And they were all the exact shade of terrible and inert.

But to my surprise, Quark was still great in it. Why is Quark growing on me? How do I like Quark so much? This wasn't supposed to happen. You all should have warned me :mad:

e: I think the reason Jake works so well is that unlike Wesley, we're not supposed to relate to him as a kid—we're supposed to relate to Sisko as a father. It makes the typical kid-in-adult-show so much more tolerable.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 14, 2020

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I mean yeah Quark is a frontrunner for the best character in the entire series lmfao. The second any "evil" ST species is allowed to become nuanced and gets written by someone who gives a poo poo about them they immediately become great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I mean yeah Quark is a frontrunner for the best character in the entire series lmfao. The second any "evil" ST species is allowed to become nuanced and gets written by someone who gives a poo poo about them they immediately become great.

Quark's rants in The Dogs of War, near the end of DS9, are just so delicious.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Move Along Home owns

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If Move Along Home was a TNG episode instead of a DS9 episode, it would be largely forgotten like a lot of mediocre TNG episodes are and not constantly pointed out as an egregiously bad episode. Instead, because it's DS9, it stands out a lot more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apparently Bruce Botnick let slip he's working on a new Atmos mix for Star Trek: TMP. That lines up with rumors that the Director's Cut is being worked on for a UHD release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnpacAuKnwc&t=151s

He talks about how much he loves working with Atmos and he unwrapped the 16 track audio masters for TMP recently.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 14, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm watching the fan film made by that one guy that's like 3 hours long and he does all the voices, you may have seen clips of.

It is incredibly boring. Basically everything I would ever want in a star trek

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Move Along Home is like root beer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhSm6G7cVk&t=105s

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pakled posted:

If Move Along Home was a TNG episode instead of a DS9 episode, it would be largely forgotten like a lot of mediocre TNG episodes are and not constantly pointed out as an egregiously bad episode. Instead, because it's DS9, it stands out a lot more.

And if it were a TOS episode, it would be one of the most beloved episodes in trek canon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bull3964 posted:

Apparently Bruce Botnick let slip he's working on a new Atmos mix for Star Trek: TMP. That lines up with rumors that the Director's Cut is being worked on for a UHD release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnpacAuKnwc&t=151s

He talks about how much he loves working with Atmos and he unwrapped the 16 track audio masters for TMP recently.
I'm not watching through TMP again, you can't make me

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not watching through TMP again, you can't make me

You cannot call yourself a Star Trek fan if the thought of seeing the full reveal of the Connie refit in glorious 4k with HDR while Goldsmith's theme blares out of 7 channels including overhead doesn't move something in you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mllaneza posted:

And if it were a TOS episode, it would be one of the most beloved episodes in trek canon.

people are hard on DS9 episodes that are basically TOS episodes. I don't think "Distant Voices" is that bad either. that'd be a completely ok TOS episode and a completely normal TNG episode.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Distant Voices is fine in concept, it’s just underwritten. The plot is about facets of Bashir’s psyche getting “killed off”, but the facets are too poorly characterized and quickly killed and Bashir himself doesn’t really change as this happens. He just gets makeup-aged (not well but whatever). I think the idea of DS9 as mindscape is awesome, and the Bashir-Garak interplay is great as usual. Like a lot of Menosky episodes it’s just got more potential than it follows through on. Which is also true of like half of TOS

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Distant Voices is fine in concept, it’s just underwritten. The plot is about facets of Bashir’s psyche getting “killed off”, but the facets are too poorly characterized and quickly killed and Bashir himself doesn’t really change as this happens. He just gets makeup-aged (not well but whatever). I think the idea of DS9 as mindscape is awesome, and the Bashir-Garak interplay is great as usual. Like a lot of Menosky episodes it’s just got more potential than it follows through on. Which is also true of like half of TOS

maybe I like it because I mentally use it to dismiss the stupid augment storyline and the associated "worst characters in star trek", the Jack pack :colbert:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pick posted:

maybe I like it because I mentally use it to dismiss the stupid augment storyline and the associated "worst characters in star trek", the Jack pack :colbert:

Yeah I’ve been surprised by how much I’m enjoying Bashir episodes so far on this rewatch (about to finish season 3). I guess the augment and S31 stuff left bad tastes in my mouth

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Jack Pack are cool

Bashir creeping on the quiet one is very uncool though

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Yeah I’ve been surprised by how much I’m enjoying Bashir episodes so far on this rewatch (about to finish season 3). I guess the augment and S31 stuff left bad tastes in my mouth

Bashir's not as bad as I think he was perceived at the time. I do think he sort of falls apart post-augment. I think his role as "the idealistic one" wasn't as kewl in the 90s but I find it refreshing today.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hm I don’t know I’m getting bored of this young naïf being a generally well meaning and fun guy. what if he had computer brain and calculated the odds like C-3PO. No wait. What if he were secret agent man

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

skasion posted:

Bashir genuinely gets worse which is something that I feel like rarely happens with Trek characters.

I feel like there is this idea of the sort of dashing and somewhat roguish Star Trek character who can do no wrong, but it doesn't come to fruition until Bashir. Like the best TOS episodes end with Kirk being sad and conflicted. Riker's a dork. Paris is a gently caress up--although I think I'm forcing the archetype a bit with him. But Bashir genuinely is the sexy god man that I think people imagine Kirk being depicted as. Not that he doesn't have some good episodes ("The Quickening'), but often he's much more fun when he's played as a bit of a goof and a comedy partner with Miles than the handsome hero of the show. It just doesn't work when a holographic lounge singer is more compelling.

My wife and I were also bitter of how much time season six and seven devotes to him being forlorn over Dax to the point that she was rooting for Ezri to end up with Quark.

Also, I really just wish Section 31 was more of a Sisko plotline. Like Sisko acts like this weird neutral dad about it all. I don't want Bashir pouting about morals. I want Sisko somehow selling Section 31 out to the Orion Syndicate or some poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Hm I don’t know I’m getting bored of this young naïf being a generally well meaning and fun guy. what if he had computer brain and calculated the odds like C-3PO. No wait. What if he were secret agent man

:sigh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timeless Appeal posted:

My wife and I were also bitter of how much time season six and seven devotes to him being forlorn over Dax to the point that she was rooting for Ezri to end up with Quark.

I genuinely think that would have been a really good capstone to both Ezri and especially Quark's arcs. Quark has a great scene where he proves he's the only one who "gets" that Ezri Dax is a new person, and he respected the poo poo out of Jadzia for scamming the crap out of him at tongo but yet never really came onto her. I think if Ezri were the initiator it would have been a great "Ezri gets with a guy who gets who/what she is" and "Quark ends up with an intimidating woman who has given him a lot to chew about wrt: respecting women". Ezri has the potential to have the same thrust as Grilka and Pel all in one go.

I actually like what I think is the initially-conceived Bashir/Jadzia arc, where at first he's just horny for her but grows to befriend her as a person and understand her as an actual identity, but once she dies and becomes Ezri I really feel like the potential of that arc is gone and it's creepy to try to recapture it with Ezri. Really creepy. Because it's like a complete 180 from what the point would have been if he ended up with Jadzia at that point!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bashir is way better in the later seasons

He’s so awkward early on

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

We're told up top that trill symbiotes don't tend to befriend their old host's friends, but then the show just treats them as interchangeable. It's weird.

It's a lot like how they made the decision that Ezri would be a softer, more vulnerable person than Jadzia, but them since this is the 90s, the show doesn't really know what to do to make a female character strong other than making her tough and aggressive, just like it's still not sure what to do with a therapist.

I like Quark's root beer speech, but I don't feel like it's a good description of root beer.

And like, Garak, you just drank a glass of maple syrup.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
they do know, because quark is a therapist, as is vic. she's like the third loving therapist in the core cast. baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

We're told up top that trill symbiotes don't tend to befriend their old host's friends, but then the show just treats them as interchangeable. It's weird.

It's worse than that, they came up with this deadly serious Trill reassociation taboo and then threw it in the garbage with Ezri, she just dives right back into the beating heart of her last life and picks up where she left off like it ain't no thang. According to "Rejoined" both of them should be exiles from Trill society with no hope for the Dax symbiont to ever be passed on. Dead slug squirmin', we got a dead slug squirmin' here.