Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A room with more than one heater is a huge red flag.

It means the place is uninsulated and like living in a refrigerator for most of the year.

EDIT: But that little houseboat is really cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

WrenP-Complete posted:

Happy birthday!

thx!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I got that canvas art thing I mentioned a while ago today (my birthday).

Nice, we have something similar and we still like it 10 years later. hbd

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
dog replaced
a sad dog

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

dog replaced
a sad dog

she was really tired of being displayed on the wall though

btw I was just imagining if you suddenly decide you want a dog how you would work that in with your decor and I was laughing pretty hard

maybe paint the dog greige?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A room with more than one heater is a huge red flag.

It means the place is uninsulated and like living in a refrigerator for most of the year.

EDIT: But that little houseboat is really cute.

A built-in fireplace like that is more ornamental than functional. A woodstove is going to put out way more heat. But, I agree, it probably is uninsulated.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mr. Mambold posted:

A built-in fireplace like that is more ornamental than functional. A woodstove is going to put out way more heat. But, I agree, it probably is uninsulated.

A summer cabin built in 1940 in California? Definitely.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I cannot believe I forgot the most important part of a modern home

replacing my standard outlets with the square shaped ones

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

I cannot believe I forgot the most important part of a modern home

replacing my standard outlets with the square shaped ones

:what:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I may have been joking

but I am putting in the square shaped ones since I like the appearance more, and I got a ten pack of the outlets and covers for $20

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

I may have been joking

but I am putting in the square shaped ones since I like the appearance more, and I got a ten pack of the outlets and covers for $20

No i dont even know what you're talking about

I even just googled square oulet covers just to see if I was having a brain fart and got nothing

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I think they mean decora receptacles?

v and yeah personally decora strikes me as extremely "1980s modernist" rather than modern but no judgement

corgski fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 13, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Bloop posted:

No i dont even know what you're talking about

I even just googled square oulet covers just to see if I was having a brain fart and got nothing

He's probably talking about Decora. I wouldn't exactly call that "modern", but yeah....whatever you want to do in your own house.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well this is apparently a thing

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I love how two apple wall warts (or any perfectly square plug) would interfere on that.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

corgski posted:

I think they mean decora receptacles?

v and yeah personally decora strikes me as extremely "1980s modernist" rather than modern but no judgement

they are outlets I'm not serious about it making a modern house

I just like straight lines and 90 degree angles

The Bloop posted:

ew

I do like their screwless wall plates tho

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 13, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ugh frustrating memories of travel power adapters and old deep UK outlets

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The Bloop posted:

It's like those comedy/tragedy masks

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mods please rename me 80s modernist wall outlet

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "catwalk"
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/601-E-Ogden-Ave-UNIT-906-Milwaukee-WI-53202/121801148_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11270-Occidental-Rd-Sebastopol-CA-95472/15805008_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/255-Main-St-Winter-Harbor-ME-04693/2123842040_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/91-King-Rd-Chalfont-PA-18914/9051870_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1046-Great-Pond-Rd-North-Andover-MA-01845/56100345_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/650-Delancey-St-APT-208-San-Francisco-CA-94107/80753778_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5365-Fm-3065-Colmesneil-TX-75938/250919174_zpid/ 1965 contemporary time capsule in the sweaty rear end-crack of Texas

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/112-Cowdray-Park-Columbia-SC-29223/11737919_zpid/ pretty sure this is a shopping mall

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/347-Main-St-Jaffrey-NH-03452/86735637_zpid/ 1991 post-and-beam addition to a ca. 1800 Federal house, the two parts go together really well imo

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/347-Main-St-Jaffrey-NH-03452/86735637_zpid/ 1991 post-and-beam addition to a ca. 1800 Federal house, the two parts go together really well imo

I love yellow pine flooring so much. I just want to hug and kiss it.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

Anyone else having flashbacks to the ancient Duggar Family threads where it was mentioned the only way to get to the girl children's only bedrooms was a catwalk hanging over the living room? Both to ensure the purity of the girl children, but also to make sure no incest was happening. [with the boy children, anyways. The adult men? Well...]

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

value-brand cereal posted:

Anyone else having flashbacks to the ancient Duggar Family threads where it was mentioned the only way to get to the girl children's only bedrooms was a catwalk hanging over the living room? Both to ensure the purity of the girl children, but also to make sure no incest was happening. [with the boy children, anyways. The adult men? Well...]

I was literally ready to post about this! The girl bedroom is connected to the parents’ bedroom, as well. So loving creepy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

lmfao wrt those chairs :effort:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Wait, are decora outlets really considered dated looking? Whoops, I replaced all the outlets in my house with decora cause they look much nicer to me. (The old ones were all painted over and backstabbed, so they needed to be gone anyway).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Slugworth posted:

Wait, are decora outlets really considered dated looking? Whoops, I replaced all the outlets in my house with decora cause they look much nicer to me. (The old ones were all painted over and backstabbed, so they needed to be gone anyway).

you have to understand that poster has a phd in outlet modernity

anyway yes they do look nice, I'm also going to get the wall plates with no visible screws, lutron and leviton make them. I'm going to do those for my switches too. I think the only things where you have to have visible screws is coaxial, phone jack and blank plates.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

value-brand cereal posted:

If you're referring to... whatever oldest sons name was. He was molesting his sisters as a teen, but it only came out when he was an adult.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

actionjackson posted:

you have to understand that poster has a phd in outlet modernity

I'm ABD, actually

(anything but decora)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Slugworth posted:

gently caress that guy. Decora outlets with screwless faceplate things were a huge upgrade for my house. They originally had whatever those round outlets are in 'almond' with a thin coat of cigarette residue and dog piss.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

MetaJew posted:

gently caress that lady.

FTFY

But also y’all are allowed to like them. I just viscerally associate decora fixtures with the same sort of lovely 1980s “renovations” that put venetian blinds in victorians after cutting out all the original trim.

Anyway I have no room to talk about what’s dated, I’m installing reproduction push button switches in my house. :v:

e: Here’s a cursed bathroom as a palate cleanser.

corgski fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 14, 2020

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

knox_harrington posted:

What you're asking for is pretty specific... Are you after something rustic looking?

I discussed with this guy who makes reclaimed wood furniture and would probably make whatever you want.
https://www.oldmanandmagpie.com/imported-products?category=Furniture
Ended up not buying locally as I don't live in the UK any more.

Less nice but I got a bed from this place before and it was good quality, their stuff is solid wood so would last well. https://www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk

Otherwise if you're looking for more modern style furniture you should check on Made
https://www.made.com

Nest is the same deal as Made but a bit more expensive stuff
https://www.nest.co.uk/storage-and-shelving

While you're still in the EU don't forget you can easily order from European shops and may get good deals.

Thanks for this: it's hugely helpful and you have made my wife in particular very happy as she points out 2k pieces on Nest with a meaningful look. There's definitely stuff on a couple of those sites that will suit us.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

MetaJew posted:

gently caress that guy. Decora outlets with screwless faceplate things were a huge upgrade for my house. They originally had whatever those round outlets are in 'almond' with a thin coat of cigarette residue and dog piss.
I mean, I wasn't actually sweating it, just was curious if that was a consensus among design minded folk or something. Sounds like not though.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

MetaJew posted:

In the UK only the most budget-level outlets have visible screws, these days. Even the standard B&Q ones have a fascia - often brushed chrome, stainless steel etc - that hides the slightly-recessed outlet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slugworth posted:

I mean, I wasn't actually sweating it, just was curious if that was a consensus among design minded folk or something. Sounds like not though.

No, but the comment was made because of how it was brought up - as if this style switch and outlet which was introduced in 1973 is an indicator of modernity. It is not, but if that's what you like then go for it.

I have no particular preference other than "please for the love of god choose ONE style for everything and stick with it to the extent possible." My 1960-s build house has traditional outlets and toggle switches. I've stuck with these where possible, but I have to have some hybrid decora/toggle wall plates in bathrooms (GFCI outlets and fan timers) or just single outlet decora plates in various wet areas for GFCIs.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
We don't have a whole lot of fancy designer outlets in Australia (probably because it's extremely illegal to do any sort of wiring or cabling work without a licence; and nobody is going to pay $150 to get an electrician to walk through the front door plus whatever they charge hourly just for cosmetic poo poo)

Also it weirds me out that US outlets don't have power switches on them. I feel like that's a safety hazard.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I think we run at a lower voltage vs the rest of the world

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol this mf trying to post about decora as part of a modern home

as if he's going to get away with that poo poo *hits quote button, starts typing while masturbating furiously*

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

actionjackson posted:

lol this mf trying to post about decora as part of a modern home

as if he's going to get away with that poo poo *hits quote button, starts typing while masturbating furiously*

This isn’t adding much to the thread.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Youth Decay, can you do a Zillow search for "live laugh love" if you haven't already? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Slugworth posted:

Just chimng in to say i think they look much better than the standard oval-ish outlets, whatever those are called. In my particular house, which was built in mid 80s, ill be replacing outlets as a 'redo' each room, only one bathroom so far.

My outlet covers also have vertical grooves in them, which are just great to collect dirt if that's your jam. I probably wont go full on screwless covers due to cost, but may consider it in the kitchen or something.

The Lord Bude posted:

We don't have a whole lot of fancy designer outlets in Australia (probably because it's extremely illegal to do any sort of wiring or cabling work without a licence; and nobody is going to pay $150 to get an electrician to walk through the front door plus whatever they charge hourly just for cosmetic poo poo)

Also it weirds me out that US outlets don't have power switches on them. I feel like that's a safety hazard.
I had to google this, is this what your outlets look like? I'm sure someone here would make them but it seems like you'd have to be fighting to see which switch is off to actually use the outlet.