Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

That was basically what they said, that the ponding won't matter since silicone doesn't break down in the presence of standing water.

The ponding isn't super deep so I don't think it would be a danger in terms of causing the roof to collapse from the weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Are they not picking up the phone at all, or just not for you? Are they completely out of business? You could try calling from a new phone number if they're still in business. Maybe take them to small claims court? Or see if your insurance company will try and take them to court?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Spikes32 posted:

Are they not picking up the phone at all, or just not for you? Are they completely out of business? You could try calling from a new phone number if they're still in business. Maybe take them to small claims court? Or see if your insurance company will try and take them to court?

They picked up once and said they would send someone over, then never showed up, never called to confirm and didn't pick up again when I tried calling a half dozen times.

Other people online have complained about these folks not picking up.

I can't go through the whole small claims process while I wait for this leaking roof to get fixed. It needs to be done soon.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be filing a HO claim for 3K. Homeowners is for serious major claims only. The rate increase from filing a claim will cost more than just covering it out of pocket. I'm not sure what roofing deductibles are like where you are, but I know mine is 1% of the home value.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Nitrousoxide posted:

They picked up once and said they would send someone over, then never showed up, never called to confirm and didn't pick up again when I tried calling a half dozen times.

I can't go through the whole small claims process while I wait for this leaking roof to get fixed. It needs to be done soon.

Is it an installer's warranty or a manufacturer's warranty? Rather, is the warranty through the roofing company or through the maker of the roofing materials? If the latter, find the instructions on your warranty certificate and forward the manufacturer the quotes from the other roofers. The manufacturer will usually then cover repairs and then will follow up with the roofers to give them poo poo about making them pay out a warranty claim.

If it's through the roofers then 1)LOL, and 2) leave them reviews on Yelp, Homeadvisor, Google, everywhere you can giving specific complaints and a time table of them not covering their warranty. This MIGHT make them hurry up to get you to take those reviews down. Or they might ignore it, but at least you are then one more data point against that company when someone looks them up later.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If the issue is ponding I doubt the manufacturer would cover that as it’s not a fault of the material but of the installation of it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

skipdogg posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be filing a HO claim for 3K. Homeowners is for serious major claims only. The rate increase from filing a claim will cost more than just covering it out of pocket. I'm not sure what roofing deductibles are like where you are, but I know mine is 1% of the home value.

My deductible is $1,000. Now if they're only covering damage to the drywall on the ceiling inside of the house then I will just drop the claim.

If they'll cover the roof though and it may be worth it if the deductible is $1,000 and it costs me between $3,000 and $5,000 to fix it.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Is it an installer's warranty or a manufacturer's warranty? Rather, is the warranty through the roofing company or through the maker of the roofing materials? If the latter, find the instructions on your warranty certificate and forward the manufacturer the quotes from the other roofers. The manufacturer will usually then cover repairs and then will follow up with the roofers to give them poo poo about making them pay out a warranty claim.

If it's through the roofers then 1)LOL, and 2) leave them reviews on Yelp, Homeadvisor, Google, everywhere you can giving specific complaints and a time table of them not covering their warranty. This MIGHT make them hurry up to get you to take those reviews down. Or they might ignore it, but at least you are then one more data point against that company when someone looks them up later.

The warranty is through the roofers unfortunately. The previous owner of the house is the one who got the new roof. They just passed along the warranty to me.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

What's the best way to get "good" grass? I've been putting down the Scott's stuff since last summer, but now I'm finding myself trying to fight off clovers in my grass. I bought some Orwin stuff today and put it down. Hopefully that'll help.

2 gallon jug of Spectracide and a sprayer for the clover. Wear an N-95, that poo poo will make you feel sick.

Also, get a thatch rake, some compost, and overseed with your preferred grass seed.

I have a 2017 installed Bolero lawn here scorching Sacramento, CA and it definitely suffers and gets brown spots in the summers no matter how much water it gets. Perks right back up when it gets back in the 80's though.

http://www.deltabluegrass.com/sod-products/residential-commercial-sod

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 13, 2020

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

H110Hawk posted:

Our front and 1/2 of our backyard are all drought tolerant native plants thanks to the previous owners. It's amazing what that buckwheat and sage and smoke bush will put up with. Basically water it a few times a year and it will live. Water it with several gallons of drip a month and it will overgrow and flower like you wouldn't believe. We have so many bees.

One day our privacy buckwheat will overgrow our house and I am OK with it.

This. A well-manicured lawn looks nice but is just unnecessary in much of the US. I've let one section of my lawn go wild with a mix of drought-tolerant grasses and perennial wildflowers. It's a bee heaven and the only work required is a winter cutdown to refresh the cycle.

Much of the rest of the yard was converted to raised beds for veggies and fruit, which look more appealing to yet another plot of grass. I did leave a grass runway to allow the dog to do laps, but it's really just a mix of drought-tolerant grass, clover, and self-heal that stays green all summer with zero water added. It doesn't rain in the PNW in summer, so this is something.

I don't live in a suburban mcmansion subdivision, though, and my approach would look pretty bizarre in that setting. Many people don't really use their yards, so do whatever to keep it looking decent.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

You should talk to your GC and the city about seeing if you can start in advance. Sob story and all that. Unless there are plans which need approval, which your GC really should have done in advance of demolition, there shouldn't be any reason not to let you start working. Does your city not require a permit to demolish that much stuff?

Oh, the work has already been started, and the electrical is done. The GC is holding off on the plumber for some reason, he mentioned it when we spoke last week. But yeah, starting demolition work isn't the problem. There aren't any plans, it's all basic enough to not require them according to the electrician/plumber.

Once we have the permit, the GC will wait a business day and call the town to set up the inspection. It's just moving a gas line for the stove, installing a water line for the fridge, and installing new lights. Nothing wrong with taking down a ceiling or cutting through walls to do the work, it's just my dumb move to not have gotten things approved well in advance while I could.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The warranty is through the roofers unfortunately. The previous owner of the house is the one who got the new roof. They just passed along the warranty to me.

IANAL. For like $35 you can get a consultation through your county Bar Association.

I've had issues with service providers who either caused damage or whose work didn't hold up under their warranty period. I ended up pursuing one of the issues in court. Are you within the threshold for small claims? If so, I'd send them a certified mail with return receipt requested politely advising them of the issue and that you want to arrange repair and possible warranty stuff, but if you don't hear back in 14 calendar days, you'll have no option but to seek relief. Then get the work done, make copies, and file in small claims to seek reimbursement of the work that was performed since they never got in contact with you. Save the mailing certificate, return receipt, etc.

It'll take a long-rear end time, doubly so with COVID, but if they're not honoring their warranty by refusing to stay in contact, it definitely sounds like something you can nail them to the wall for.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Drive down there and talk to someone face to face? I mean if their work sucks then maybe you don't want them to fix it anyway. But still.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Introducing a new young adult mystery novel: Detective Sundae and the Mystery of the Kitchen Faucet with Drastically Lower Water Pressure Than Anything Else in the House On Any Floor.

The title needs some work, but so does the faucet.

(Yes, I checked to make sure the valve was fully open. :v:)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

and its sequel, Detective Sundae and the Unexpectedly Wet Wall

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

pmchem posted:

and its sequel, Detective Sundae and the Unexpectedly Wet Wall

Oh yes, I love a good series! :suicide:

Edit: Well, that ended up being a short book, and I have a new title for it: Detective Sundae and the Case of the Three loving In-Line Water Restrictors.

There was one at the entrance of the hose to the faucet, one at the exit of the hose into the faucet head, and one placed in front of the aerator. :wtc: California.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 14, 2020

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Sundae posted:

Edit: Well, that ended up being a short book, and I have a new title for it: Detective Sundae and the Case of the Three loving In-Line Water Restrictors.

There was one at the entrance of the hose to the faucet, one at the exit of the hose into the faucet head, and one placed in front of the aerator. :wtc: California.

Just remember: every restrictor on your sink means an extra handful of California-grown almonds for you to enjoy in your Honey Nut Cheerios.

When we moved into our house (in the water-having state of PA), we had the exact opposite problem in that all the faucets were normal except for the one on the kitchen sink, where the water flow was strong enough to rip dishes out of your hand if you nudged the handles so much as half a degree outside the safe water pressure zone. Turned out the 80-year-old fixture was completely corroded so if there was any restriction or aeration mechanisms in it, they were long gone. New faucet has a much better controlled flow and also much less of it. I miss being able to fill up a 12qt stock pot in five seconds, but not much else.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Queen Victorian posted:

Just remember: every restrictor on your sink means an extra handful of California-grown almonds for you to enjoy in your Honey Nut Cheerios.

When we moved into our house (in the water-having state of PA), we had the exact opposite problem in that all the faucets were normal except for the one on the kitchen sink, where the water flow was strong enough to rip dishes out of your hand if you nudged the handles so much as half a degree outside the safe water pressure zone. Turned out the 80-year-old fixture was completely corroded so if there was any restriction or aeration mechanisms in it, they were long gone. New faucet has a much better controlled flow and also much less of it. I miss being able to fill up a 12qt stock pot in five seconds, but not much else.

I moved here in Pennslyvania, actually! :haw:

I don't mind the idea of restrictors, especially on showers where people can spend a zillion years without realizing how long they've been in there (though CA's mandatory timers on bathroom lights plunging you into darkness helps with over-showering, TBQH), but if I can't get the food bits off a dish without adding a spatula or something, the water pressure's TOO LOW. :negative:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Out here in Portland there is not shortage of water. I remove restrictors from all shower heads. Using a drill if necessary.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Sundae posted:

I moved here in Pennslyvania, actually! :haw:

You were around Lancaster, right? I am a fan of your pharma stories and remember when you were still in PA. I’m originally from CA but I very much enjoy having water and not having such intense crowding. Winters here suck though.

Really wanted to take a weekend trip to Lancaster to check out Amish stuff, but I guess now we have to wait until the pandemic is over.

quote:

I don't mind the idea of restrictors, especially on showers where people can spend a zillion years without realizing how long they've been in there (though CA's mandatory timers on bathroom lights plunging you into darkness helps with over-showering, TBQH), but if I can't get the food bits off a dish without adding a spatula or something, the water pressure's TOO LOW. :negative:

I need to get my dad to gather all his construction knowledge and experience into a book titled How To Swap Things Out After The Inspector Leaves and Other Handy Tips For Building in California.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sundae posted:

(though CA's mandatory timers on bathroom lights plunging you into darkness helps with over-showering, TBQH),

not exactly...

https://ww2.energy.ca.gov/2015publications/CEC-400-2015-032/chapters/chapter_6-Residential_Lighting.pdf

California bathroom lighting (everywhere, not just in bathrooms) has to be one of any of these:
-high efficiency
-controlled by an "occupancy sensor" (I think this means motion sensor but maybe there's ones with laser beams or heat detectors or some poo poo)
-on a timer

Note that "high efficiency" includes all flourescent, CFL, and LED lighting.

Then, separately:

quote:

6.3.3 Spaces Required to Have Vacancy Sensors
Manual-on/automatic-off occupant sensors, also known as vacancy sensors, automatically
turn lights off if an occupant forgets to turn them off when a room is unoccupied.
Additionally, these sensors are required to provide the occupant with the ability to manually
turn the lights:
1. Off upon leaving the room.
2. Off while still occupying a room.
3. On upon entering the room.
The manual–off feature is critical because it provides the occupants with the flexibility to
control the lighting environment to their satisfaction, and results in greater energy savings by
allowing the occupants to turn off the lights when they are not needed.
The Energy Standards require vacancy sensors to control at least one luminaire in the
following room types:
1. Bathrooms.
2. Utility rooms.
3. Laundry rooms.
4. Garages.
If there are rooms or areas where there are safety concerns regarding the use of vacancy
sensors, then the use of “dual technology” (infra-red plus ultrasonic) may be desirable, or
the vacancy sensor may be staged to partially shut off the lighting before switching it off
completely

Emphasis added. So, you only need to have one light in the bathroom that is on a vacancy sensor; and that sensor's control has to let you manually turn the light on and off, and it applies to bathrooms, utility rooms, garages, and laundry rooms. And you can use staged shutoff (first timer turns off most lights but leaves one on, second timer turns off last light) to avoid the situation where someone gets plunged into darkness unexpectedly or in a dangerous way... such as when showering.

Note that you are apparently code-compliant if you have one light in the bathroom on a vacancy sensor, and many other lights on a fully manual switch. I guess the idea is that you should have a convenient way to mostly use a light that will eventually turn itself off, but there are times when you need the light to stay on or whatever.

Also note that in many cases, code doesn't require a renovation; if your bathroom doesn't already have these sensors, you might not have to install them until/unless you do other electrical/lighting work or renovations in that bathroom. I'm not 100% sure about whether that general principle applies here.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Shockingly, I managed to get a hold of the roofers who originally installed my roof and they said they would come by and fix it Monday or Tuesday of this week. It shouldn't surprise me of course that they never showed up never called and never alerted me to reschedule or anything. They have a one-star rating on Yelp and an f rating in the BBB. I looked up their address as well and it's just the dude's house. So while I could physically drive over there it probably would not be the best idea. So at this point I'm going to give up on them get another contractor to do the roof either with a complete redo to fix a standing water or with the silicone coating that should be unaffected by standing water. Does anyone else here have experience with a silicone covering on the roof does it hold up well over time? That is the cheaper option that I've been quoted and the materials they are using seem to be a common one.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Get it done and sue them. Stop playing games and don't threaten them further. Talk to an attorney about the specifics but it's likely small claims sized. Remember time is of the essence to repair a roof. Save all correspondence (print it out) and write a log of what happened, what was promised, and what then didn't happen.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Get it done and sue them. Stop playing games and don't threaten them further. Talk to an attorney about the specifics but it's likely small claims sized. Remember time is of the essence to repair a roof. Save all correspondence (print it out) and write a log of what happened, what was promised, and what then didn't happen.

That's the plan. My insurance said they would cover a tarp over the roof while I'm waiting for proper roofers to come and fix it. So I'm going to see if I can get someone to do that ASAP.

Anyone have any opinions about silicone versus traditional roofs?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
There was a flow restrictor on the line to refill the toilet tank. :what:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Sundae posted:

Sundae, I am converting to buddhism. Your life has convinced me that reincarnation is real, and that while you are a great guy you obviously did some heinous poo poo in a past life.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

therobit posted:

Sundae, I am converting to buddhism. Your life has convinced me that reincarnation is real, and that while you are a great guy you obviously did some heinous poo poo in a past life.

I'm still onboard the "suffering in life means greater rewards in heaven" train. :v:

Though seriously, if this is the worst I deal with in a condo, I got off lucky.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Sundae posted:

I'm still onboard the "suffering in life means greater rewards in heaven" train. :v:

Though seriously, if this is the worst I deal with in a condo, I got off lucky.

So Catholicism?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Sundae posted:

But why.

My only guess is to throttle how often you’re able to flush the toilet. Which still doesn’t make any sense. Like it would suck for a dinner guest or someone to use the bathroom and need a second flush and then have to wait an agonizingly long time for the toilet to be flushable again and all the while remain in the bathroom for an awkwardly long time. It’s not like the restrictor reduces the amount of water required to fill the tank, so... Sorry I’m just so confused.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Maybe so when you flush the toilet, you don't scald someone who is taking a shower? Maybe that was just a thing at my old house, but flushing a toilet in the house would drop the water pressure and increase the temperature of any running showers. Similarly, despite having 3 showers in the house, you could only really have one running at a time if you wanted hot water.

It was really annoying

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Need some fancy thermostatic mixing valves. Of course, the one I have is in a box in the basement waiting for my eventual bathroom remodel, so idk how well they work.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Queen Victorian posted:

But why.

My only guess is to throttle how often you’re able to flush the toilet. Which still doesn’t make any sense. Like it would suck for a dinner guest or someone to use the bathroom and need a second flush and then have to wait an agonizingly long time for the toilet to be flushable again and all the while remain in the bathroom for an awkwardly long time. It’s not like the restrictor reduces the amount of water required to fill the tank, so... Sorry I’m just so confused.

Your guess is as good as mine. There's simply no reason for it. A flush is a defined quantity of water, so a restrictor makes NO SENSE.

quote:

So Catholicism?

Exactly, though I'm so out of place in church these days that I'm more of a prolapsed catholic.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I am hiring a professional carpet cleaner, painters, a deep cleaning from a maid service, and coating the wooden floors with polyurethane to pet-proof the flooring.

Is there a better choice than polyurethane? Also, which order do I do this in? I was thinking painter, deep clean, polyurethane, followed by carpet cleaners. Does this sound about right?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Has anyone ever tried to get paint information from a builder? We're about to move in to a 4 year old home from a high end but not custom builder and we need to touch up some spots. I was thinking of emailing the builder and just asking but I'm not sure what to expect given that I'm not their client.

Alternatively how should I go about getting matching paint from a store? Chip some paint flecks off the wall?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Can you ask the person you're buying the house from? I've bought 2 new construction homes, and both times I was given the paint color codes, and touch up kits after purchase. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a quart of each color left in the garage when you move in. I left the touch up paint in my last house for the new owner.

The builder should have that information on file, and a nice email to customer service should get it for you. Worst case you can try Nextdoor or the local FB group, as others probably have the same paint colors.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Thanks former owners! Didn't want to use this perfectly-placed outlet anyway! (Is that superglue in the sockets?? Doesn't seem like paint, none in the ground hole, and the bottom outlet is exactly the same.)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looks to me like a tamper resistant outlet hence the TR you need to push both prongs in at the same time to use it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Academician Nomad posted:

Thanks former owners! Didn't want to use this perfectly-placed outlet anyway! (Is that superglue in the sockets?? Doesn't seem like paint, none in the ground hole, and the bottom outlet is exactly the same.)

See the "TR" stamped in it? That means tamer resistant. Just plug something in straight and it will work. You may need to wiggle the plug on the way in a bit if the outlet hasn't been used much.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Hmm, okay, thanks - I certainly tried to get something to plug in at the same time with no luck, but maybe I didn't push hard enough.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sometimes they really fight you.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Academician Nomad posted:

Hmm, okay, thanks - I certainly tried to get something to plug in at the same time with no luck, but maybe I didn't push hard enough.

Unless you have kids I'd probably swap them out anyway, I find them really hard to use myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Try leaning towards neutral when plugging in has been the trick for mine. The first time is the hardest. :v: Once you use it a handful of times it breaks in and becomes easy. I wouldn't replace them, they're a safety device and if you ever have kids that's all the "baby proofing" you need to do for not in use outlets.