Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

2house2fly posted:

It is a little hard to gauge distance in that shot with no context, of course when you watch it in the movie it's entirely clear. It's hard to dispute that it's a good looking movie!

Yeah for all my disappointments with TLJ, it has some really fantastic shots. (The hyperspace ram standing out especially as one of the best in the entire franchise).

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 12, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AlternateAccount posted:

People on twitter are posting shots from TLJ as great cinematography, including this one:

I loved it when ten foot tall Luke-Ghost faced off against the medium-dog sized walkers or whatever at an indeterminate distance. So beautiful.

lmao jesus christ

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
That's not a good still; it's way too crowded to be so squished up

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The shot's a victim of context, and works best when viewed with the rest of the sequence, which was built around this piece of concept art that Johnson really liked:

Which was then put into the movie 3 times:

The changing number and size of walkers meas that they were cheated in each shot to get the desired composition, and each time the shot is used it tells a specific story.

The first and widest shot is the last shot of Luke walking out to face down the entire First Order with his laser sword, so shows the largest possible army. It also has him the largest in frame compared to that army because he's doing his Legendary Luke Skywalker thing.

The second shot is actually focused on the walker in the middle of frame - it's readjusting its position to fire on him (which isn't visible in a still image). Luke is smaller here, and is possibly about to be killed. Rather than being above his army, Kylo's shuttle is hiding behind it.

The third shot, the one that most closely emulates the concept art, still has Luke smaller than the army but they're now dust-shrouded background objects because the fight is now about Luke and Kylo.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Also a nice little visual showing how irrelevant the greater scope of the ST was, and it's always been about the same handful of people

Same thing happened in TROS when a million Rebel ships showed up

And then it's back to the same single ship (Poe) and group of characters (Finn, Kylo, Rey, and Palpatine) not thirty seconds later

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Menacing 'AT-AT's with cankles' design

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Blood Boils posted:

Menacing 'AT-AT's with cankles' design

yeah wtf those things look like they would snap if they tried to lift them

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Aside from giving the walkers a gorilla posture, the razored cankles were added to imply that the First Order had designed their walkers to be resistant to being tripped by tow cables.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
You don't necessarily have to cheat the perspective in shots like that even if it were real, different focal lengths will give more or less noticeable perspective

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That's true - it looks like they're using the same plate element for Luke across all three shots though, which might be throwing things off.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tlj is the empire strikes back of the sequels

It’s the one out of step in terms of genre but will be remembered as the best by far

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m telling you in 15-20 years we’ll be looking back on these movies fondly just like we’re doing with the prequel trilogy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m telling you in 15-20 years we’ll be looking back on these movies fondly just like we’re doing with the prequel trilogy.

I hope So

I just watched AOTC again and my god is it good

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

euphronius posted:

Tlj is the empire strikes back of the sequels

It’s the one out of step in terms of genre but will be remembered as the best by far

Empire Strikes Back is misunderstood by fans but absolutely stands up to analysis.

Last Jedi is misunderstood by fans and just crumbles under cursory examination. That makes it the Return Of The Jedi of the ST.

(Rise of Skywalker is, curiously, the Solo: A Star Wars Story of the ST).

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The first thing I've heard about it that makes me want to watch it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

josh04 posted:

The first thing I've heard about it that makes me want to watch it.

As a Suicide Squad aficionado, you may very well appreciate its similar clusterfuck energy.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

"What is this, some kinda rise of the Skywalkers?"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

go on king

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
In ten years everyone will be a TLJ fan

TheLoquid fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 13, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TheLoquid posted:

nah

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

TheLoquid posted:

my opposition is ideological, I will die on this hill, unlike Finn when he crashed into the first order army

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Liking TLJ is the film equivalent of liking all music "except for country and rap." I will not be elaborating.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Random old lady in the desert: What’s your last name? How did you get here?

Rey: I came from outer space and I walked here.

Random old lady: Rey...Sky...Walker.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Empire Strikes Back is misunderstood by fans but absolutely stands up to analysis.

Last Jedi is misunderstood by fans and just crumbles under cursory examination. That makes it the Return Of The Jedi of the ST.

So is Rogue One the ESB of the sequels?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
New Filoni-led animated show announced:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1282712959513321484

Immediate Clone Wars sequel by the sound of it. Hopefully the premise allows non-Kiwi Clone Troopers, allowing maybe one that is exactly Jango except gender-flipped or something. I would imagine it allows them to at least have different voice actors.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They didn't in the episodes they already appeared in, so I doubt they would change it now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

BizarroAzrael posted:

New Filoni-led animated show announced:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1282712959513321484

Immediate Clone Wars sequel by the sound of it. Hopefully the premise allows non-Kiwi Clone Troopers, allowing maybe one that is exactly Jango except gender-flipped or something. I would imagine it allows them to at least have different voice actors.

The bad batch have already appeared, and they are all still jango clones just non-standard. The show is going to be about them A-teaming around the galaxy as well as the aftermath of the clone wars and what that does to the clone troopers who served.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Apologies, only got long-term access to Clone Wars via D+ so I've not caught up yet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bit funny for maybe the most derided Star Wars movie, Attack of the Clones produces all the most interesting EU stuff.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Surely it isn't the most derided Star Wars movie any more. I mean, episode 9 has only been out like 7 months, but...

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

2house2fly posted:

Surely it isn't the most derided Star Wars movie any more. I mean, episode 9 has only been out like 7 months,
but...

yeah Attack of the Clones has at least some interesting elements even if its a mess with serious pacing issues. was there anything good in Skywalker at all?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*Taking a deep breath, preparing to speak the words that will drat me* I liked babu

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

punishedkissinger posted:

yeah Attack of the Clones has at least some interesting elements even if its a mess with serious pacing issues. was there anything good in Skywalker at all?

Well, it had Y-Wings. Some B-Wings too!

otherwise uhhhhhhh

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the dead speak!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think I remember seeing a Naboo starfighter at the end.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Most of the stuff in and on the old Death Star is ok

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

cuntman.net posted:

the dead speak!

They gently caress now?!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think I didn't bring across the 'remake the prequels' joke that it would be the one choice that could piss off absolutely everybody moreso than they already have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The scene with Kylo Ren and Han was good. The force bond stuff still worked well and the shrug he gave after getting the lightsaber was neat.

Hux's "I'M THE SPY" was at least fun.